PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Mountain and Eckville Shelter in PA

Ex-Franchisee
06-24-2009, 23:37
I could put this in with the “shelters” section of the forum site, but I kinda need an answer ASAP. If I put it there, people may not see it for weeks. If anyone has ever gone to the Eckville Shelter in Pennsylvania, do you know if they have a fire ring there? I think every shelter normally does, but from the pictures that I was able to see here on the whiteblaze site, I couldn’t see one anywhere. Trust me, this is something that I could easily live without, but some of my non-backpacking friends are hiking with me this weekend and stupid things like this are part of the “camping experience” for them. I know this shelter is close to the Hamburg Borough Watershed, but is it in the watershed? Is this why I don’t see a fire ring anywhere in any pictures I see?

To refresh anyone’s memory, this is the shelter in PA with the running water, a caretaker, and a toilet (that’s rare). Someone’s got to remember being there. Anyone’s memory would help.

Thanks,
Phil

emerald
06-24-2009, 23:51
I could put this in with the “shelters” section of the forum site, but I kinda need an answer ASAP. If I put it there, people may not see it for weeks.

Not likely, since I know of at least 1 person who is subscribed to all BMECC shelter threads with instant notification! You got a pretty quick response to this thread too.

If anyone has ever gone to the Eckville Shelter in Pennsylvania, do you know if they have a fire ring there?

There is no fire ring because campfires are not permitted at this location.

I know this shelter is close to the Hamburg Borough Watershed, but is it in the watershed?

No, NPS/ATC/BMECC managed land/facility.

Perhaps the greatest points of pride for the men of the [BMECC's] Wednesday Crew comes from the work done on two hiker hostels on the trail. Two houses on acquired lands were kept and turned into hiker hostels and caretakers' homes so that there is always someone present to provide guidance to hikers and security for the facility. One of these units is off Route 501, north of Bethel.

The other is a hiker hostel in Eckville near Hawk Mountain. Here the Wednesday Crew took an old farmhouse, gutted it and completely rebuilt it to comply with federal regulations. More than three years was spent on the job, it was dedicated in 1992.

See Blue Mountain Eagle Climbing Club: Keepers of the AppalachianTrail (http://www.berkshistory.org/articles/trail.html) from which the above quotes were drawn for more information.

Bring a shelter of your own. The bunk house to the rear of the caretaker's private residence sleeps only 6. Northbound through hikers are still passing through in good numbers and it may already be filled to capacity when you arrive. Tenting is permitted on the opposite side of Hawk Mountain Road.

Toolshed
06-25-2009, 05:16
I think it is on Private property and not even really a wilderness experience since it is a converted garage behind a house. If I were you, I would plan somewhere else to sleep during your BP trip. there are plenty of other places.

Ex-Franchisee
06-25-2009, 08:27
Thanks for the quick responses and the info!

Phil