PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hike March 2010 / NOBO

JustinNorris
06-25-2009, 03:03
Looking for a few people or group who are hiking North starting in March. This will be my first attempt at thru hiking the AT. As of now, beginner hiker...getting ready in my spare time. I am from Tampa, Fl. Don't want to walk to Maine by myself.

Jane
07-07-2009, 00:37
Hey, no way! I don't want to walk to Maine by myself either! I'm from New Hampshire. Also a beginner hiker. What kinds of things are you doing to prepare?

ShelterLeopard
07-14-2009, 15:13
I'm starting in late February (hitting the approach on th 25th, NoBo of course). I'm looking to get together with a couple people just for the first couple weeks to get going, but I'm a solo hiker at heart.

ShelterLeopard
07-14-2009, 15:14
PS- I just figure it might be easier to stay on trail the first couple weeks with a couple people to keep you from going off. Not that I think I would ever want to go off trail, but the first week is the worst.

snowhoe
07-14-2009, 15:18
dude you are going to meet soooooooooooooo many people that you will get sick of meeting new people.

ShelterLeopard
07-14-2009, 16:06
I know, I just figured that starting in the middle of the week in February would make it so I'd meet less people for the first week or two. Or do you think that a lot of people will start when I do?

frmrnyker
07-15-2009, 14:42
2010 Future NOBO here... Living in Maine, from NYC orig.

I've been day hiking maine and the whites for a few years... starting first long distance overnights next week...

Right now setting up the job situation, making sure my house is all set, and researching/buying gear...

I hope it happens = all depends on the job stuff!!!

when were you thinking of starting?

PhastEnough
07-20-2009, 13:06
Hi everyone. Im new here. So ive been thinking about doing a through hike for a few years now. But just recently, I have thought about this much more seriously. Problems with what direction i want to go in life and where my girlfriend wants to be has come up in our lives. She wants to either go to the peace corps or the americoprs. I have decided the AT. Ive bought a book or 2 and starting to train. Im gonna do a few days hiking and camping at a time to see what I will need. Im about 40lbs heavier than I want to be right now, but over the next few months I plan on losing it. I have a friend that says he wants to do it with me; he wants to know how serious I am and by that I have to show him im gonna lose 20 lbs. He said if i did that, he would come. I was in great shape in college and high school because I was a full time rower. I've done hikes before with setting up and camping for the night and then moving on. Never anything more than 3 days 2 nights tho. Im gonna start to do alot of research and keep posting on here for the next few months until i think i am ready. Now, if my buddy falls of the waggon and im still on it I would want someone to hike with. This site seemes to be the place to find people.

Thanks everyone,
Phasty

SawnieRobertson
07-20-2009, 13:16
Hi everyone. Im new here. So ive been thinking about doing a through hike for a few years now. But just recently, I have thought about this much more seriously. Problems with what direction i want to go in life and where my girlfriend wants to be has come up in our lives. She wants to either go to the peace corps or the americoprs. I have decided the AT. Ive bought a book or 2 and starting to train. Im gonna do a few days hiking and camping at a time to see what I will need. Im about 40lbs heavier than I want to be right now, but over the next few months I plan on losing it. I have a friend that says he wants to do it with me; he wants to know how serious I am and by that I have to show him im gonna lose 20 lbs. He said if i did that, he would come. I was in great shape in college and high school because I was a full time rower. I've done hikes before with setting up and camping for the night and then moving on. Never anything more than 3 days 2 nights tho. Im gonna start to do alot of research and keep posting on here for the next few months until i think i am ready. Now, if my buddy falls of the waggon and im still on it I would want someone to hike with. This site seemes to be the place to find people.

Thanks everyone,
Phasty

I absolutely adore your trailname. Good job!--Kinnickinic

superman
07-20-2009, 13:30
Hi everyone. Im new here. So ive been thinking about doing a through hike for a few years now. But just recently, I have thought about this much more seriously. Problems with what direction i want to go in life and where my girlfriend wants to be has come up in our lives. She wants to either go to the peace corps or the americoprs. I have decided the AT. Ive bought a book or 2 and starting to train. Im gonna do a few days hiking and camping at a time to see what I will need. Im about 40 lbs heavier than I want to be right now, but over the next few months I plan on losing it. I have a friend that says he wants to do it with me; he wants to know how serious I am and by that I have to show him im gonna lose 20 lbs. He said if i did that, he would come. I was in great shape in college and high school because I was a full time rower. I've done hikes before with setting up and camping for the night and then moving on. Never anything more than 3 days 2 nights tho. Im gonna start to do alot of research and keep posting on here for the next few months until i think i am ready. Now, if my buddy falls of the waggon and im still on it I would want someone to hike with. This site seemes to be the place to find people.

Thanks everyone,
Phasty
Good choice...you can save the world just as much hiking the AT. Don't worry about training...40 lbwill get lost along the way. Don't bring friends or lamas or guns. It will be ok...just make it to Neals Gap and they'll tell you what you're doing wrong. You've been walking all your life...don't make a big deal out of it. I suggest that you do as I do...I don't hike fast...I hike half fast.:D

PhastEnough
07-20-2009, 13:53
Ive heard mixed review about bringing guns. Hicks along the way have bothered people or incase of a black bear attack, or just for safety reasons; you're on the trail for 6+ months. Why should or shouldn't I take a firearm?

Chenango
07-20-2009, 13:55
Ive heard mixed review about bringing guns. Hicks along the way have bothered people or incase of a black bear attack, or just for safety reasons; you're on the trail for 6+ months. Why should or shouldn't I take a firearm?

A gun is heavy and it is not really needed. Most folks you meet are very nice. If you are concerned about bears, bring some pepper spray. I suppose you could use that on people too if attacked.

ShelterLeopard
07-20-2009, 14:21
Good choice...you can save the world just as much hiking the AT. Don't worry about training...40 lbwill get lost along the way. Don't bring friends or lamas or guns. It will be ok...just make it to Neals Gap and they'll tell you what you're doing wrong. You've been walking all your life...don't make a big deal out of it. I suggest that you do as I do...I don't hike fast...I hike half fast.:D

Superman, I just had to say- that is the best reply I've ever heard. It makes so much sense!!!

ShelterLeopard
07-20-2009, 14:24

A gun is VERY unnecessary- heavy, and there is really no reason. There are so many other hikers on the trail most of the time, that if you run into trouble, someone will be able to help. And a handgun against a bear? I dunno. Just bear bag your food and don't cover your body with honey if your taking a siesta.

Charlie D
07-20-2009, 17:24
If I know that you have a gun on you I will avoid you and try not to hike with or wherever you are. I am not a gun hater but handguns creep me out.

PhastEnough
07-21-2009, 15:30
If I know that you have a gun on you I will avoid you and try not to hike with or wherever you are. I am not a gun hater but handguns creep me out.

i dont own a gun. i was just seeing what peoples thoughs were.

Charlie D
07-21-2009, 16:27
:o My apologies for jumping to conclusions.

Red Beard
07-21-2009, 17:28
i dont own a gun. i was just seeing what peoples thoughs were.

I don't recommend carrying a firearm, but if you were serious about it I'd have to recommend a Ruger LCP. It's very lightweight. In fact, the ammunition weighs more than the actual gun.

bearbuddy
11-08-2009, 13:13
I'm a NOBO hiker from South Carolina leaving in March! Definitely looking for company, too!

James Fetter
11-09-2009, 13:15
My plan is to begin NOBO beginning Monday March 1st. I know as a senior I am going to be slow and would enjoy hooking up with a few others for the first week or so at least.

SawnieRobertson
11-09-2009, 15:03
My plan is to begin NOBO beginning Monday March 1st. I know as a senior I am going to be slow and would enjoy hooking up with a few others for the first week or so at least.

Second Try:

It's not how old you are. It's how much you want to do it, how much fitness you achieve beforehand, how much you love it out there. How much support you receive from your family and friends. Where is Nellysford, Virginia, anyhow?--Kinnickinic

Jane
11-12-2009, 19:21
Also... (I know this because my father is a police officer and only WISHES I would bring a gun... I don't want to and have decided against it)... keep in mind the laws along the way... the AT isn't an exception to whatever state your in and their laws, you know? Just a thought! :)

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 21:31
I don't feel comfortable with other people carrying guns... I mean, a knife can't accidentally go off like a gun can. As a solo female, I always carry a knife, especially near road crossings. But a gun? Noooo. Too heavy, too dangerous, too often illegal.

Young Gun
11-18-2009, 22:28
im leaving my house march 14th should be on springer the 15th and headed to Katahdin im not new to hiking but i still consider myself a beginner id be more than happy to meet up with anyone headed my direction but i am doing my own thing as far as pace and where i stop and how long i stay in a place so no commitments or anything

HDMama
11-21-2009, 21:20
I too am starting in March, day is dependant on the weather. I have done a lot of research and a 5-day 70-mile wilderness trek in Montana to make sure I was up to the task and have everything I need. What I don't need is to plan a firm day and get stuck in a snow or sleet event, ha, ha! Of course it helps that I'm a full-time RVer and can just hang out in the trailer until the optimum day to start. However, I'm not getting any younger or any faster...so the earlier I can start, the better.

randyg45
11-21-2009, 22:20
You probably wouldn't enjoy living in WV.
A transplant from NY came to the sporting goods store wherein I ran the gun counter, sold and scheduled my firearms training classes, kept regional schedules for handgun competitions, and generally held forth on all things gun-ish. Six or seven people were there when he came to inquire about an NRA class which qualified the stdent for a WV concealed weapons license. I answered several questions and showed him several suitable handguns before he asked:
"Do you have to carry the gun you shoot in class"? I told him, "No, in WV you can carry anything you can legally own, concealed, including full-auto weapons, and as many as you like". One of the people there said he thought you could only carry one at a time. I said, "Check your license. The title says "weapon or weapons". I think four of the guys, and certainly the lone female there (best female pistol shot for a 100-mile radius, probably) reached into wallet or purse to retrieve their concealed weapons permit.
The NYer blanched and took a step back. "A-a-a-re a-all of you", he stammered, "c-carrying g-g-guns"? My friends shrugged and/or nodded yes; I told him he could also figure there was a loaded shotgun in the rack behind me.
"Buddy", I told him, "we were raised with guns. Owned 'em, handled 'em, shot 'em, carried 'em all our lives. We- the citizens of this state- have decided to let you, a NYer who has hardly ever seen a gun, take a twelve hour course and carry concealed. Let me get this straight. You're afraid of us."
My friends thought it was funny. We never saw the NYer again. Guess he got creeped out.

Btw, a WV CCW is honored in Tn, Va, WV, Pa, and Vt. My hiking weapon probably weighs less, loaded, than your ipod and cell phone.

randyg45
11-21-2009, 22:22
Shlep, the only way a gun can go off is if the trigger is pulled. A dropped knife can do far more damege than a dropped hand gun.

randyg45
11-21-2009, 22:25
Chenango, I really like pepper spray. There are only two problems with it. If you're outside, you need to watch the wind or it will blind you as quickly as your assailant. If you're inside you just about can't use it, and for the same reason, esp in a car (only applicable to hitch-hiking, I suppose).

randyg45
11-21-2009, 22:27
Red Beard, have you ever looked at a http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:W3-1mvq0bwMJ:www.naaminis.com/bwmm.html+naa+black+widow&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
Black Widow?

ShelterLeopard
11-21-2009, 23:29
Shlep, the only way a gun can go off is if the trigger is pulled. A dropped knife can do far more damege than a dropped hand gun.

I know more than one story about people who've been cleaning a gun or didn't quite know what they were doing, and bang. (A relative, actually)

Sure, it was their fault, but there is no rule that says only smart, responsible people carry guns.

I stand by what I said.

randyg45
11-21-2009, 23:48
I know more than one story about people who've been cleaning a gun or didn't quite know what they were doing, and bang. (A relative, actually)

Sure, it was their fault, but there is no rule that says only smart, responsible people carry guns.

I stand by what I said.

There are thousands of those stories, and they are all false. "Accidentally shot while cleaning his gun" is in fact a euphemism for suicide.

The only way a firearm made in the last 50 years (and that's conservative) goes off is if someone pulls the trigger. (and the first step in cleaning a weapon is unloading it, btw).

ShelterLeopard
11-22-2009, 00:19
Well, I heard it from a relative, who was in the hospital for a gunshot wound, and as the other guy at least said he was "cleaning it", that's the info I'm going on.

And I also don't care what anyone says, there are stupid people with guns out there, and I would prefer they don't come near me with their guns. I know that a lot of the people who have a weapons license are responsible and won't mess around, but the fact is, not everyone is. Some people don't know what they're doing or are just inately stupid. So, I prefer to avoid everyone with guns, just in case.

Hobbot
11-22-2009, 11:52
There are thousands of those stories, and they are all false. "Accidentally shot while cleaning his gun" is in fact a euphemism for suicide.

The only way a firearm made in the last 50 years (and that's conservative) goes off is if someone pulls the trigger. (and the first step in cleaning a weapon is unloading it, btw).

Someone I know (who is a cop), dropped her gun indoors and it went off. Fortunately she and nobody else was hit, but it sure did some damage to her bathroom and the gun (blew out the handle of the gun). I am sure cases like this are rare, but they do happen.

Chaco Taco
11-23-2009, 20:22
Dont carry a gun

You will meet tons of people

JoshStover
11-23-2009, 22:18
I'm sure I'll see you on the trail. I plan to leave the end of February or the very first of March. Oh yea, Don't bring a gun. Carry some pepper spray on your shoulder strap or hipbelt. So many people I have meet on the trail have there gun or pepperspray in their pack. It doesnt do much good to carry it if you cant get to it when you need it!

randyg45
11-25-2009, 15:51
First, if it "blew out the handle" of the gun there were serious issues with either the weapon, the ammunition, or both. That kind of thing usually results from a blocked barrel, a condition that in my experience occurs from either snow/mud or, more commonly, shooting handloads one of which had no powder in the cartridge. The cap (the part that explodes when struck by the hammer, igniting the powder) propels the bullet from the case into the throat of the barrel, where it lodges. The expanding gasses created by the firing of the next round have nowhere to go, so in the case of an automatic they vent through the grip, blowing the magazine out. Certainly the shooters hand(s) on the grip have nothing to do with holding the gun together when fired.
Which is a possible/probable explanation for the damage to the firearm, now lets deal with the AD (accidental discharge).
It is highly unlikely that the gun fired when dropped. Every gun made in this country, or imported into it, has to pass a ten-foot drop test onto concrete. They are loaded and dropped onto concrete many times. Any firearm that discharges when dropped should be unloaded and taken to a competent gunsmith. After verification of a defect in the gun, an attorney should be contacted and a lawsuit filed.
Which is why, besides knowing a lot about the inner workings of a few guns, a fair amount about some others, and a little about the subject in general, I'm so dubious about the "dropped gun" theory- if guns went off when dropped the manufacturers would have been sued out of business long long ago.
Did the damage to the bathroom include a busted mirror? She's not so irresponsible as to still be carrying the same gun, is she? What did the gunsmith say? Did your friend sue the manufacturer? Why not?

gipcgirl
11-25-2009, 18:35
Second Try:

It's not how old you are. It's how much you want to do it, how much fitness you achieve beforehand, how much you love it out there. How much support you receive from your family and friends. Where is Nellysford, Virginia, anyhow?--Kinnickinic

I saw your posts and then your age wow go girl. I am 61 in 2010 and had wondered if I should be doing this hike. You are so inspirational. Yes I'm going to do it and all my planning and desire to finish will enable me to complete the AT in one go. (can't afford to have a 2nd shot at it.)

I am from Australia and will not have family or friends:banana in the USA for support so will rely on the friends I make on the way for moral support.

Starting mid March.

gopcgirl

gipcgirl
11-25-2009, 18:36
oops that should read gipcgirl

ShelterLeopard
11-25-2009, 21:51
Randy- It doesn't matter about all these technical "facts" you're telling us. The (most important) fact is, some people are dumb or irresponsible, and some guns have defects, and people make mistakes. The fact is that bad things can happen, even though they technically shouldn't. And the fact is, many people feel extremely uncomfortable to know that others are carrying guns.

Red Beard
11-26-2009, 09:52

I stand by what I said.

It's apparent that these folks had no clue about gun safety, when they were "cleaning" their firearms.

Step number 1 when cleaning any firearm: check if it's loaded. If it's loaded, unload it.

Step number 2 when cleaning any firearm: check if it's loaded. If it's loaded, unload it.

Step number 3 when cleaning any firearm: check if it's loaded. If it's loaded, unload it.

Point being, don't ever assume your weapon is unloaded. Make certain.

Red Beard
11-26-2009, 10:32
First, if it "blew out the handle" of the gun there were serious issues with either the weapon, the ammunition, or both. That kind of thing usually results from a blocked barrel, a condition that in my experience occurs from either snow/mud or, more commonly, shooting handloads one of which had no powder in the cartridge. The cap (the part that explodes when struck by the hammer, igniting the powder) propels the bullet from the case into the throat of the barrel, where it lodges. The expanding gasses created by the firing of the next round have nowhere to go, so in the case of an automatic they vent through the grip, blowing the magazine out. Certainly the shooters hand(s) on the grip have nothing to do with holding the gun together when fired.
Which is a possible/probable explanation for the damage to the firearm, now lets deal with the AD (accidental discharge).
It is highly unlikely that the gun fired when dropped. Every gun made in this country, or imported into it, has to pass a ten-foot drop test onto concrete. They are loaded and dropped onto concrete many times. Any firearm that discharges when dropped should be unloaded and taken to a competent gunsmith. After verification of a defect in the gun, an attorney should be contacted and a lawsuit filed.
Which is why, besides knowing a lot about the inner workings of a few guns, a fair amount about some others, and a little about the subject in general, I'm so dubious about the "dropped gun" theory- if guns went off when dropped the manufacturers would have been sued out of business long long ago.
Did the damage to the bathroom include a busted mirror? She's not so irresponsible as to still be carrying the same gun, is she? What did the gunsmith say? Did your friend sue the manufacturer? Why not?

Some folks are just ignorant about firearms. They choose to promote ignorance about firearms by spreading these kinds of stories. I own several firearms, I never carry on the trail. If you choose not to carry, that's your business. I won't fault folks who do feel the need to carry. Remember, an armed society is a polite society.

ShelterLeopard
11-26-2009, 16:37
It's apparent that these folks had no clue about gun safety, when they were "cleaning" their firearms.

Step number 1 when cleaning any firearm: check if it's loaded. If it's loaded, unload it.

Step number 2 when cleaning any firearm: check if it's loaded. If it's loaded, unload it.

Step number 3 when cleaning any firearm: check if it's loaded. If it's loaded, unload it.

Point being, don't ever assume your weapon is unloaded. Make certain.

Look, I know that technically these things won't happen if people know what they're doing, I'm saying that stupid people do carry firearms and it makes me uneasy.

I am not saying anything about how to clean a gun, or regulations concerning guns, or how guns are made. The FACT is that some people don't know what they're doing and do stupid things and make mistakes. My reason for being uncomfortable around people who carry guns, and nothing anyone says will make that change, because I KNOW that bad things happen.

oldhoss
11-26-2009, 20:38
:-? Just a thought. If you are in the one in 10,000 situations that you might need a gun, where will it be? In the bottom of your pack! Not very effective unless you plan ahead and then it,s called pre-meditative.

Maybe you should just use a stick. :D

Red Beard
11-26-2009, 21:28
Funny how if you carry a gun it's a 1 in 10,000 chance of a bad thing happening, but gun opponents seem to think every other person with a gun is some kind of moron who wouldn't know to check the chamber before cleaning it.

randyg45
11-27-2009, 00:48
ShLep, facts matter more to me than myths and feelings. If you want some facts, look up the statistics about booze/drugs/crime/violent crime/death and compare
that to gun crime/death statistics. The fact is that my wife, my daughter, or you, are far more likely to be killed by booze than by bullets.
For that matter, I wonder what the facts are regarding on-trail deaths for, I don't know, firearms, wildlife, heart attacks, homicide without a firearm involved, hypothermia, and acts of God (lightning, falling trees, etc). Does anyone know?
We are all most afraid of those things we know the least about, which means we're usually afraid of the wrong things.

Hobbot
11-27-2009, 14:05
Personally I don't care if someone has a firearm on them or not. And, yes, I agree that there is a very, very small chance of anything happening. I get the same type of response when I have told people that I have skydived and bungy-jumped or when people see the news of exploding laptop batteries. The chances of getting an injury from a car accident is by far much greater than any of those activities. But, the chances of an injury are not absolutely ZERO. I have a friend that was injured skydiving and as I already mentioned, I know someone who had a gun unintentionally fire. You can say that there is no possible way for something to happen, but as an engineer I know that despite any claims, there are mistakes in proofs, designs, engineering specs, manufacturing, and end-user operation just to mention a few areas. Saying that the person I know was "attempting suicide" when her gun was dropped is frankly insulting. Yes, the error was probably due to very old/bad ammunition and had nothing to do with the gun, but the fact, as best as I can claim without actually being in the room, is that it did go off without the trigger being pulled. Granted, neither of these events will cause me to fear guns or fear skydiving since I believe in statistics, but this will help me to understand that there are risks with absolutely every thing we ever do, including hiking the trail.

ShLep, facts matter more to me than myths and feelings. If you want some facts, look up the statistics about booze/drugs/crime/violent crime/death and compare
that to gun crime/death statistics. The fact is that my wife, my daughter, or you, are far more likely to be killed by booze than by bullets.
For that matter, I wonder what the facts are regarding on-trail deaths for, I don't know, firearms, wildlife, heart attacks, homicide without a firearm involved, hypothermia, and acts of God (lightning, falling trees, etc). Does anyone know?
We are all most afraid of those things we know the least about, which means we're usually afraid of the wrong things.

ShelterLeopard
11-27-2009, 14:51
I would respond randy, but I've repeated the same thing too many times, and I already sound like a broken record. And Hobbot said something along the lines of what I think quite well. (Exploding laptop batteries- I remember talking about that!)

And also, if I crash my car or drink myself to death, that's my fault, itsn't it. Someone else being an idiot with a gun is not my fault. I know several people in my area (big hunting and farming area) who have either hurt themselves or others with a gun, because they were being stupid. That's all I have to say. (Guess I did respond... oh well.)

Whatever, I've said my bit and I'm done.

randyg45
11-27-2009, 17:50
"Saying that the person I know was "attempting suicide" when her gun was dropped is frankly insulting. Yes, the error was probably due to very old/bad ammunition"

Hobbot, I don't think I even implied either one of those things in the case you related; certainly I did not mean to do so. I asked a few questions the answers to which might help me guess what happened; but I can tell you that I personally:

1. Do not suspect attempted suicide
2. Strongly doubt a dropped gun
3. Strongly doubt faulty ammunition was solely resposible

randyg45
11-27-2009, 17:56
And also, if I crash my car or drink myself to death, that's my fault, itsn't it.
Well, sure, ShLep.
And if, as more commonly happens, some drunk in a car kills you, or rapes you, or beats you, it's not. Are you aware how few rapists and wife/women-beaters are straight and sober?

ShelterLeopard
11-27-2009, 19:09

Maybe this is what Hobbot means.

And I am not talking about alcohol or rapists, I'm talking about guns. (Although, I have known one person around here who had the brilliant idea of drinking enough to floor an elephant, then go play with his gun. He killed two, I think one of them might have lived, don't remember).

My point being (as I've said maybe 5 times already) accidents happen, people can be stupid. As I know several incidents like this from people in my own town, that is how I feel. Like Hobbot said, I'm not going to be afraid of guns because things like this happen, but I will always be wary of people who have guns, and some of the people I've met carrying guns make me down right uncomfortable. All I'm saying.

AH! I know, I said I'll stop talking about this, I just keep reading this thread. Okay, stopping.

paradoxb3
11-30-2009, 17:32

quote statistics all you like. if shlep doesnt like or is uncomfortable around guns, why are you guys pushing the subject? the 2nd amendment is your right, NOT a requirement... folks that dont like guns hate that kinda crap just as much as gun lovers hate talk about banning them...

tintin
11-30-2009, 18:03
Are guns required to keep us marauding limeys off the trail?! I hope not ;) I've got a start date of 15th of March NOBO. Tickets booked, most equipment sourced and now it's just a question of counting down the days. I may have someone coming with me but know meeting people won't be an issue.

drifters quest
11-30-2009, 20:42
I'm starting March 10th so I might see you along the trail sometime :) When are you planning on leaving?

Hyway
12-01-2009, 13:59
I don't particularly care if someone carries a gun on the trail or not. Its their weight if they want to carry it. I just find it odd to see someone hold such vehemence against being around people who carry one when it very likely that we'll be excepting shuttles and/or hitchhiking rides with people that drive like lunatics on narrow, winding mountain roads without guardrails.

ShelterLeopard
12-01-2009, 14:10
I'm not personally that vehemently anti-gun, just not comfortable around guns. But I stated my opinion and why, then got a response, and then wanted to back up what I said, got a bit fired up, (and really wanted to point out what I was trying to say, becuase it seemed to be misconstrued a lot).

And I don't have anything against the people who carry the gun, I'd just be more comfortable if they didn't.

By the way, thanks paradox.

Shameless
12-01-2009, 14:34
Don't bring a gun. You won't need it.

Hyway
12-01-2009, 14:39
I completely understand your position and don't begrudge you having it. I was just commenting on the things we as humans can learn to be comfortable with. People who are around guns get used to having them around. Most people aren't around guns very much, so guns scare them. But we are all around cars quite often so we are comfortable with them even though they are involved with killing and maiming so many people every year. We are unlikely to shy away from grabbing a shuttle into time from a complete stranger, but we'll shun someone you will have time time to learn about on the trail who may be carrying a gun. Obviously if that guy is a jerk, give him a wide berth. But if you shy away from someone just because they carry a gun you may be missing out on some incredible people.

Hyway
12-01-2009, 14:40
grrr, getting a ride into town not time :)

ShelterLeopard
12-01-2009, 17:06
You're kinda right hyway. I've always known the danger of cars and strangers though as well. (But I know what you mean, about people being less familiar with one thing, or taught to be uncomfortable with it)

drifters quest
12-01-2009, 17:57
You're right Hyway.. people with guns don't scare me, because here in Wyoming if I was scared of people with guns, I would be scared of everyone ;) :)
Although I am NOT planning on bringing a gun on the trail, I am considering carrying pepper spray.

ShelterLeopard
12-01-2009, 21:49
Pepper spray... I've heard a lot of people saying that you'll send it home. But, those people may have been expecting to use it on bears, and they may have been male. (Which I think is really weird, using pepper spray on wild animals). But I wouldn't mind having pepper spray in my pocket when I hitch in to town or start to hear drunken catcalls. :-P

Red Beard
12-01-2009, 22:04
Pepper spray... I've heard a lot of people saying that you'll send it home. But, those people may have been expecting to use it on bears, and they may have been male. (Which I think is really weird, using pepper spray on wild animals). But I wouldn't mind having pepper spray in my pocket when I hitch in to town or start to hear drunken catcalls. :-P

I hear cat calls (and see pink elephants) when I'm drunk, but I'm pretty sure it's not the same thing. :D

ShelterLeopard
12-01-2009, 23:06
I hear cat calls (and see pink elephants) when I'm drunk, but I'm pretty sure it's not the same thing. :D

Hmmm.... maybe, actually. :D

Note to self: do not leave pepper spray unattended near redbeard.

drifters quest
12-02-2009, 00:04
Well, bear spray is pepper spray that sprays a TON of pepper spray, but it comes in a much larger canister. Trust me, over here in grizzle country it can be very handy! It was the small pocket pepper spray I was talking about though, not neccesarily for the people on trails either, but as you mentioned hitchiking and drunk weirdos.

slugger
12-02-2009, 00:54
(Which I think is really weird, using pepper spray on wild animals).
That depends on your use of the words "Wild Animals". Some times the Drunk people making the cat calls would fit into this category. :rolleyes:

ShelterLeopard
12-02-2009, 09:14
Yeah- I thought of just including them in the "wild animals" category. But I like wild animals a whole lot more than drunken townsfolk. :D

daylaandjasper
12-22-2009, 12:22
I do not plan to carry a gun nor even a big knife. The best thing you can bring with you on a thruhike for safety is your common sense and your intuition. I was only creeped out one time on my 01 hike and it was in town when I accepted an offer of a ride when I wasn't hitching. I was a young solo female. Once out there, your sense of who to trust becomes very developed. I'm hiking with my husband this time.
Doodlebug

ShelterLeopard
12-22-2009, 12:38
I do not plan to carry a gun nor even a big knife. The best thing you can bring with you on a thruhike for safety is your common sense and your intuition. I was only creeped out one time on my 01 hike and it was in town when I accepted an offer of a ride when I wasn't hitching. I was a young solo female. Once out there, your sense of who to trust becomes very developed. I'm hiking with my husband this time.
Doodlebug

So you'll be able to protect him right?

I always carry a knife, but I mainly use it to attack my block of cheddar cheese and salami... can be pretty vicious sometimes...

daylaandjasper
12-28-2009, 13:17
I like to think we protect each other, but I am the "tour guide" in a way. It's been interesting to not get the incredulous "you're going by yourself?" comment this time.

My knife's main victim is also cheese and salami.

SurferNerd
12-30-2009, 19:27
I'll be on the approach trail Feb 28, camping on the peak and starting March 1. Nobo. I'm gonna be solo for the most part, but it would hurt to start with some company to get the hiking blues gone.

gm1275a
01-01-2010, 21:33
I plan on doing the Approach February 28th and starting the trail March 1st. It would be cool to meet up with people!

drifters quest
01-01-2010, 23:34
I'll be starting March 12th or 13th

SurferNerd
01-02-2010, 14:31
I considered bringing my .45 or .22, but I've decided on carrying a can of Fox5.3 mace. It's the police grade stuff you don't find laying around at Walmart. Bear Spray is crazy bulky, and huge cans. Fox5.3 is a sticky gel that's 5.3mil Scoville Units. It shoots a stream or a cone, and comes in a foam model. My can is 6.4ounces, and I assure you that if you were to get hit with it, you'd bleed from the eyes for 48hrs. Get a cop friend to get you some, or maybe an online e-tailer.

SurferNerd
01-02-2010, 14:32
I'll be doing the same thing, so I'll see you there.

I plan on doing the Approach February 28th and starting the trail March 1st. It would be cool to meet up with people!

Hobbot
01-06-2010, 15:27
For those that have hiked the Southern section in March, what is the typical snow cover on the trail? I am prepared for the cold weather, but I have no idea about the snow. I am trying to decide if I need gaiters in the beginning (I don't typically hike with them).

Spirit Walker
01-06-2010, 18:52
Every year is different. You may get nothing; you may get two feet or more. More likely you'll get a couple of six inch to one foot snowfalls.

Kashmir
01-09-2010, 18:27
hey people, First post on here,, but I'm planning on starting tentatively on March 4th..

HDMama
01-10-2010, 17:18
I am from Australia and will not have family or friends:banana in the USA for support so will rely on the friends I make on the way for moral support.

Starting mid March.

gopcgirl

You still comming in March? I'll see you on the trail!

tintin
01-10-2010, 17:26

Starting mid March.

gopcgirl

You still comming in March? I'll see you on the trail!

You might even be to partake in your nations favourite national pastime along the way: pommy bashing! Good luck and should see you on the trail.

johnny84
01-15-2010, 00:42
Hey guys and gals! I too am hitting the trail NOBO in mid march so give me a shout if interested in meeting up.

seabrookhiker
01-17-2010, 10:40
I'm heading out in mid-March too, on March 14.

el.com
01-17-2010, 15:52

Ditto :cool:

Praha4
01-18-2010, 16:41
I'm starting sometime in late Feb or early March, not entirely sure yet on an exact date. If you start anytime during Feb, March, or early April, I doubt you will have any problem meeting up with other NOBO hikers, particularly at the end of the day near shelters.

I haven't seen any scientific studies on this, but I've been wondering if solo hikers get picked up more quickly while hitchhiking, or if a small group of 2 or 3 hikers gets a ride faster, guess it depends on the size of the vehicle, and the gender/looks of the hikers.

Egads
01-18-2010, 21:50
Anyone leaving Springer on Saturday March 13?

drifters quest
01-18-2010, 21:59
I was planning on leaving the tenth, but my mom is coming with me now so it will probably be the eleventh of March instead. I'm very excited and just ordered almost all of the rest of my things tonight!

QuietMan
01-20-2010, 15:45
I will be leaving NOBO either March 13 or 14, have to celebrate my birthday on the 12th. This is my present to myself. Hope to see you all out there.

GeneralLee10
01-20-2010, 17:00
I plan on hitting the trail on the 11th or 12th.

Mishap
01-22-2010, 17:17
Egads, I am leaving on march 13th. Going with two buddies.

climber2377
01-22-2010, 19:15
leaving march 15th here. see you on the trail.

guitboxdude25
01-22-2010, 21:23
Last summer, I hiked for 2 months then had to retreat for school. this year I have much more time. Im gonna start at trail days at Damascus, and go as far as I can. Im from Florida. Anyone else out there with the same plan?

Buckeye Hike
01-23-2010, 03:55
Starting March 20th...Almost there!!!!!! Good luck everyone

tennesseered
01-28-2010, 15:05
starting out march 10

Hooch
01-28-2010, 15:11
I plan on hitting the trail on the 11th or 12th.
Leaving Springer 12 March for a 3 or 4 day section. :D