PDA

View Full Version : squall 2 tarptent

DavidNH
06-25-2009, 17:54
Has anyone used a squall 2 tarp tent or similar tarptent model) in prolonged heavy rain with wind? how did it hold up?

I actually own this tarp tent already. It works great for ventilation and at least for the occasionally strong shower. I haven't really test it in real bad conditions yet. I am soon going to hike the Cohos trail and will camping in protected wooded areas of northern New Hampshire.

I also have a more heavy duty tent but it weighs a full two pounds more.

Whaddya think? can I get by on the lighter tarp tent?

David

bigcranky
06-25-2009, 18:15
Our friends had the original Squall in some massive thunderstorms last month, and they were fine. The Squall was very carefully sited so that rainwater wouldn't run through it (there was a huge 'creek' running about 2 feet from the tent -- site selection is crucial.) When I say massive thunderstorms, think Noah and the Ark -- rain was falling at a rate of at least 2 inches an hour, and three cells passed over our tents in the span of an hour or two, starting at 4:00am.

It's also important to make sure the main ridge seam(s) are well sealed.

bigcranky
06-25-2009, 18:18
Let me add that they (and we) had some misting through the fabric during the heaviest downpours. (It's raining so hard that water is actually forced through the sil-nylon.) I've heard all kinds of negative online responses to that, but in my experience it's not a big deal. Our friends -- a mom with limited experience and an 8-year-old on his first backpacking trip -- were fine.

chiefduffy
06-26-2009, 03:14
Concur with BC above. My original Squall survived monsoons this spring, high winds no problem. Tried to pitch with the small end toward the wind, but winds shifted in the night, still no problems. Very little leakage, small amount of misting, sleeping bag stayed dry.

Matteroo
06-26-2009, 03:24
used a squall 2 for 1500 AT miles and it was absolutely great. Like others have said, put the tail end into the wind if possible, and be mindful about site selection (under trees is best for condensation). Leave door open and all if there is no rain. Guy it tight to the ground if you expect heavy rain to keep misting or any side splashup to a minimum. We pitched ours on some tent platforms and it was fine without rain, but in a very very heavy rain (big, multiple thunderstorm cells came over), the platform being so flat and solid, the rain drops especially splashed back up. Now again, if you had to deal with a 10 day heavy downpour like that.. you are screwed no matter what tent you may own. For all intents and purposes it is excellent for the northeast in summer and with a bit of mindfulness on the user's part will give you no problems.

Peak leaked very little bit after a while but that was a seam sealing issue (degraded after sun/wear) and nothing that a $5 tube of silicon and 5 minutes didn't fix. i wish i owned that tent.. we used a borrowed one from a generous thru-hiker who had to get off the trail.

gravityman
06-26-2009, 08:25
Thruhiked in 2002 with the Squall 2. Plenty of hard rains. They only issue we had was once night just past galehead hut when we couldn't stake it out well due to mossy ground. The massive thunderstorm pulled the stakes out once. After I reset them with rocks on them they were fine. One night in 180. Not bad and it was user error.

You do have to retention it if it gets wet after you set up it (silnylon stretches when it gets wet). I find it easiest to tension it by restaking the single back stake. The new ones have adjustable tensioners on the front three so you don't have to leave the tent to do this. Nice touch!

Gave it up for a rainshadow now that we are a family of 3 (soon to be 4!).

Gravity

Berserker
06-26-2009, 12:19
Let me add that they (and we) had some misting through the fabric during the heaviest downpours. (It's raining so hard that water is actually forced through the sil-nylon.) I've heard all kinds of negative online responses to that, but in my experience it's not a big deal.
I own and use an original Squall, and the misting is the only "negative" comment I have about it. Really it's just the nature of sil-nylon. The misting isn't a big deal. In a prolonged very heavy down pour the stuff inside my tent had some small droplets of water on it from the misting. Some people don't care about the misting, but it just down right annoys me. So I did what I call the "Jim Wood" treatment to mine. You can check out what I am talking about at jwbasecamp.com. Basically it amounts to diluting silicone sealant and then painting it on. I have been in fairly heavy rain since doing this treatment to my Squall (treated the underside of the canopy with about a 4:1 ratio of low odor mineral spirits to silicone sealant), and there was no misting.

hopefulhiker
06-26-2009, 13:03
I also used the Squall 2 for the thru in 2005.... One time in MD there was a four inch down pour.. it held up well.. The trick is to try to keep it well ventilated to keep the condensation down...