PDA

View Full Version : Where To Start?

Pak-Man
06-26-2009, 08:50
Ok, I have never used a hammock. I would like to ask a few specific questions, and am in need of some help.

1). Where do I start. I live in Indiana and there isnt anyone carrying hammocks except hammock bliss and eno.. but still how do you try one out.

2). Concerning the colder weather, How low can you go befor adding a CCF pad or underquilt, (in general), and specifically concerning a HH or a Clark Ultralight.

3). All of you that are experienced, if you could go back now, what would you do differently... I have already spent a ton on this addiction of mine with other gear, and it is starting to get ridiculous :D

thank you for all your help

DBD

HikerRanky
06-26-2009, 10:59
Ok, I have never used a hammock. I would like to ask a few specific questions, and am in need of some help.

1). Where do I start. I live in Indiana and there isnt anyone carrying hammocks except hammock bliss and eno.. but still how do you try one out.

I would recommend going over to WhiteBlaze's sister site, HammockForums... (http://www.hammockforums.net/) lots of good people and info over there... Perhaps there is someone close by you...

Where are you located in Indiana? My wife's family is down in Washington...

2). Concerning the colder weather, How low can you go befor adding a CCF pad or underquilt, (in general), and specifically concerning a HH or a Clark Ultralight.

In my HH, I could get down to about 50 before I needed to add a pad or underquilt.... Same goes for my Warbonnet Blackbird...

3). All of you that are experienced, if you could go back now, what would you do differently... I have already spent a ton on this addiction of mine with other gear, and it is starting to get ridiculous :D

I would have gone with lighter weight gear at first.... My Deluxe Explorer weighed in at 52oz by itself..... My entire hammock/underquilt/tarp nowadays weighs in at just 61oz, and is good down into the mid 20's...

thank you for all your help

DBD

No problem Pak-Man!

Randy

Pak-Man
06-26-2009, 11:07
Randy,

I have went over to HF so thank you for that..

I live in Greenwood probably a hour and a half from Washington.

Thanks a lot for the info, i just dont know if the Clark woudl be more efficient then the HH when the cold comes in...

thanks ... and I go by "Dirtbag" mostly...

Two Tents
06-26-2009, 11:21
Yea like HikerRanky said about 50 degs is the bottom end before you need something under. If I could go back I would try a Speer set-up. I have a top quilt from Speer and the guy puts out a very well made product. So I would like his system which would mean a Pea pod for cold weather. That being said I have no plans to ditch my HH. I made an underquilt for it and I'm good down to 30 degs. Any colder than that and I'll tent it. I guess you have a gear addiction, so do I!

Pak-Man
06-26-2009, 12:28
Yea like HikerRanky said about 50 degs is the bottom end before you need something under. If I could go back I would try a Speer set-up. I have a top quilt from Speer and the guy puts out a very well made product. So I would like his system which would mean a Pea pod for cold weather. That being said I have no plans to ditch my HH. I made an underquilt for it and I'm good down to 30 degs. Any colder than that and I'll tent it. I guess you have a gear addiction, so do I!

Well the first step is admitting... or denying... one of those... I can't ever get them straight.
:rolleyes:

Oms
06-28-2009, 20:59
A lot of people start with Hennessey hammocks, possibly due to their availability. The biggest thing I think is that if you are tall make sure that you get one long enough and that it is rated for your weight. It will make a huge difference in comfort. I'd have to say the next thing I would be looking at is how it lies. Some hammocks lay flatter than others. I started with the Hennessey and eventually went with a Blackbird from Warbonnet. http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.net/ What's really cool is the shelf for storage. I used to have things falling down behind my butt, now I have a place to put things. There are some other really nice features. Watch Shugs video. If you get the double layer then you can easily start out with a cheap closed cell pad which stays in place well. If you decide to stay with it you may wish to change to a under quilt. As mentioned before, the best place for info is on the Hammock Forum. You will be seeing terms flying around. Don't hesitate to ask what they mean, everyone is really cool and happy to explain. There's a learning curve, just like a lot of other things, to get good and comfortable. Watch for a hang in Indiana or a state nearby. You are likely to see several different rigs and a lot of these guys like to make their own stuff. It's really impressive. Best nights sleep you will have in the woods.

Just Jeff
06-29-2009, 11:00
Yep - come on over to HammockForums and see who lives near you. Might be able to check out a model or three before making your purchase.

Lots of people say the one thing they'd do differently is to buy quality gear at the beginning, rather than spending bits and pieces here and there, then ending up with the quality gear anyway...after having spent all that money on gear that didn't meet their needs. All depends on your budget, obviously.

leeki pole
06-29-2009, 11:18
After my Lab decided he wanted to make a window in my tent when he crashed through the bug net, my wife and kids gave me a hammock for Father's day. I can't wait to try it out. I've got a z-rest and a zero degree down bag (full zip) that I'm going to use as a quilt. Should be sweet!

beep
07-23-2009, 19:19
After doing my homework, I opted for a Warbonnet Blackbird with an OES MacCat Deluxe SpinnUL tarp. I had extensive email correspondence with Brandon at Warbonnet and Brian at OES before settling on the combination of things that suited me.

So far, I'm super impressed with both products...fit, finish, and quality of work. I'm experimenting with pads/UQ options for cooler temperatures, but have little to report so far since hot weather and the lack of outings have interfered.

winger
07-24-2009, 09:04
Two years ago I started out with a HH and have the 3 season quilt system from JRB.
This week I ordered a Warbonnet BB double layer.
I already have a Mac Cat ultra tarp and will probably buy a JRB Mt.Washington underquilt this winter.
Yes its addicting and very easy to pour cash into! But I know that if I'm hammock camping I'm going to get a restful nights sleep, compared to all the years I spent on the ground.

Red Hat
07-24-2009, 12:13
After doing my homework, I opted for a Warbonnet Blackbird with an OES MacCat Deluxe SpinnUL tarp. I had extensive email correspondence with Brandon at Warbonnet and Brian at OES before settling on the combination of things that suited me.

So far, I'm super impressed with both products...fit, finish, and quality of work. I'm experimenting with pads/UQ options for cooler temperatures, but have little to report so far since hot weather and the lack of outings have interfered.

This is almost the same setup that I have, but after purchasing a couple of used HHs... So if I'd done the homework first, I'd have bought a Warbonnet Blackbird and OES MacCat first. I just got a Warbonnet Yeti underquilt. I had been using a landau pad and it worked fine down to the 20s (along with my WM bag), but it was bulky to carry.

good luck to you, and happy hanging!

HikerRanky
07-25-2009, 09:57

That's the system I have.... Blackbird double 1.7 with MacCat Deluxe in SpinnUL.... My underquilt is the Speer SnugFit universal fit.... Great system!

Randy

TinaLouise
07-26-2009, 14:48

3). All of you that are experienced, if you could go back now, what would you do differently...

DBD

#2 concerning the Clark Ultralight: I have the Clark Tropical w/the optional weathershield. The Ultralight does not have the option of having that weathershield and I would HIGHLY recomend having it if you're planning on doing any camping in cold weather. I've even used it in summer temps when it got cooler and humid/foggy at night. I'm new to hanging and the only trip I've done in cold weather, the temps were somewhere south of 27 F. Had ice covering my tarp and the ground was "crunchy" the next morning. I was so warm I was venting that weathershield (didn't close it all the way to allow heat to escape). Used an Exped down 9 pad under me (inside hammock) and my homemade winter down over quilt. The Clark Ultralight will need much more insulation than my Tropical to keep you warm in the winter solely because of not having that weathershield. On a side note, I'm in the humid south-east coast, hence why I have the Tropical and I've found that any temps cooler than about 75, and I'm needing to add some type of bottom insulation. You might be fine at that temp and not need anything under you till the temps dropped lower.

#3 Wouldn't do anything differently. I was very lucky to be at a Scout Show and noticed a fellow scout leader hanging. Went over to meet him and he invited me to try out his hammock. It was the most comfortable, best my back has ever experienced, in my life. The hammock was a Clark NA and I ordered my Tropical less than a week later. I now have 3 cheapie hammocks that I use for scouts to test and to hang out in. Did have 4 but gave one away to one of the scouts that expressed an interest in it.

Cannibal
07-28-2009, 09:44
Fantastic hammock!
Combined with an OES tarp and some down goodness...great night's sleep.