PDA

View Full Version : Search and Rescue the ultimate hobby!

SARdaddy
06-26-2009, 10:27
I have been doing SAR for almost 6 years now. It has been a very rewarding "hobby" that takes up allot of my time but also gets me outside.

Any other SAR ground pounders on this site?

Jayboflavin04
06-26-2009, 10:33
I live in tuscarawas county ohio. There is actually a need for SAR here in ohio? How might I get involved?

World-Wide
06-26-2009, 11:00
I have been doing SAR for almost 6 years now. It has been a very rewarding "hobby" that takes up allot of my time but also gets me outside.

Any other SAR ground pounders on this site?

Not a SAR guy, but many of my diving certs revolve around underwater search and rescue. Underwater grids with little or no visibility is my specialty. Finding that needle-in-a-haystack underwater is my cup of tea! :D

Ridge Rat
06-26-2009, 11:02
I am on the Local USAR and WSAR teams here outside of philadelphia. Love doing technical rescues and wilderness rescues. I am a WEMT and NFPA 1006 certified rescue tech. Good to see others out there doing it.

Cannibal
06-26-2009, 11:09
Not a SAR guy, but many of my diving certs revolve around underwater search and rescue. Underwater grids with little or no visibility is my specialty. Finding that needle-in-a-haystack underwater is my cup of tea! :D
Ugh! Twelve kicks on this heading, twenty on that heading. I don't miss that one tiny little bit. Did my training in the North Atlantic; zero vis and cold as heck!

World-Wide
06-26-2009, 11:24
Ugh! Twelve kicks on this heading, twenty on that heading. I don't miss that one tiny little bit. Did my training in the North Atlantic; zero vis and cold as heck!

LMAO!! :D My controlled kick-cycle count wasn't even close to the adrenaline rushed "find the dead body" (mannequin) kick-cycle on certification day! I blew past every check-point by ten feet due the extra push of the adrealine rush! :( Settled down and eventually passed w/flying colors!! :banana

Cannibal
06-26-2009, 12:00
LMAO!! :D My controlled kick-cycle count wasn't even close to the adrenaline rushed "find the dead body" (mannequin) kick-cycle on certification day! I blew past every check-point by ten feet due the extra push of the adrealine rush! :( Settled down and eventually passed w/flying colors!! :banana
Good!
If you ever see a dude laying on the bottom with an "Eat Me!" patch on his wetsuit, it's me. Get me out of there! :D

World-Wide
06-26-2009, 12:15
Good!
If you ever see a dude laying on the bottom with an "Eat Me!" patch on his wetsuit, it's me. Get me out of there! :D

I got you covered man!! :D My secondary is reserved for you!! :)

SARdaddy
06-26-2009, 12:45
Jayboflavin04 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=19748) There is always a need of some kind. That being said there will be more incidents out west and in states like WV, V and Penn because of the rugged terrain. But even here in little Ohio we get folks lost. A majority of call-outs for this state are looking for elderly folks wandering away or sometimes cadaver searches along with dog teams. Infact I assisted on a search looking for drowning victim last year in your area.

If you really want to help, just do some internet searching for teams in your area. We are located in Central Ohio.

rlharris
06-27-2009, 11:59
A couple of years ago I spent two days with NEK9SAR observing their training activities and writing an article for a dog publication. I was impressed with the dedication of the organization's members. The number of hours each puts in per year is phenomenal.

This year (2009) has been a busy year for them as measured by the number of call-outs.

flemdawg1
06-27-2009, 12:33
Not quite as fun as Search and Destroy though.

Tankerhoosen
06-28-2009, 02:28
We have a couple of K9 SAR groups here in CT, I dont have a dog but they told me they always need "victims" for trainings or other non dog owners, so I am probally going to join up.

kythruhiker
06-28-2009, 03:21
SAR here in KY for many years, although (and I hate to admit it), not as active as I would like to be for the last few years.