PDA

View Full Version : Leaving out Monday and NO MAPS YET!

WhiteBearDog
06-26-2009, 11:23
I ordered my maps over the weekend and as of today NO MAPS! Trying not to freak out.... not working.:eek:

Would anyone care to make me a few copies and email them to me if I need them? Pretty much, if they aren't here by tomorrow... i'm screwed!

Will be starting at Carvers Gap Tn and going north to Watagua Lake.

THANKS!
Whitebeardog ---who is currently freakin out!

Slimer
06-26-2009, 11:24
You're not screwed...and no maps are needed.

WhiteBearDog
06-26-2009, 11:24
Hope not. This is my first AT hike.

Ox97GaMe
06-26-2009, 11:37
just look for the white paint markings on the trees. They are usually placed about every 400-600 yards. There will be two marking on the same tree if the trail is going to make a turn or if there is a junction. The trail is pretty easy to follow. I dont believe there are many side trails in that section that you could mistake for the trail. Any side trails that do exist will usually have a blue marking.

Have fun. I will be in the general area this weekend. If I see two folks that look like they are lost, I will point you back in the right direction. :)

fredmugs
06-26-2009, 12:14
The only thing that could be hard is finding the first blaze and making sure you are heading north. Pay attention when you see two blazes on a tree and make sure you see the next single blaze. Don't assume you think you know which way the trail is going. Sometimes what appears obvious is not. Everytime I hike there are a couple of spots every day where I have to stop, look around, find the blaze, and move on. No map will help you in those situations anyway.

CowHead
06-26-2009, 13:11
You can go here and print them yourself http://www.backpacker.com/global/47

MadAussieInLondon
06-26-2009, 13:21
everything is so well defined you dont need maps. just follow the huge brown swath that all this years hikers made and your set :) you shouldnt have any trouble staying on trail

dperry
06-28-2009, 22:25
everything is so well defined you dont need maps. just follow the huge brown swath that all this years hikers made and your set :) you shouldnt have any trouble staying on trail

The problem is when you get to places like the area around the NY/NJ border that my wife and I have hiked recently, where there is no brown swath: just a bunch of rocks with white marks painted on them. :cool:

fredmugs
06-29-2009, 09:03
The problem is when you get to places like the area around the NY/NJ border that my wife and I have hiked recently, where there is no brown swath: just a bunch of rocks with white marks painted on them. :cool:

If he's starting and ending his hike in Tennessee and somehow manages to find himself along the NY/NJ border then I guess he really did need those maps.

Blissful
06-29-2009, 13:07
Find a map to tie you over. Maps are important, and I don't care how much the trail is blazed (or in many cases, not blazed when trees are knocked over) or how many days I'm out.

garlic08
06-29-2009, 13:56
Do you have a guidebook or databook? If you do, you're set. You can tell exactly where you are by the book.

Maps could be critical in an emergency, same as seatbelts or motorcycle helmets, but the overall risk factor on the AT is extremely low. As you can tell, some hikers manage fine without them.