PDA

View Full Version : 2009 black flies

modiyooch
06-26-2009, 12:15
I'm leaving very soon for hikes in MA, NH and Maine. In the past, I have dodged the black flies by hiking after July 4th. This year, I understand that they are still rampant due to the 24 days of rain.

My question, Are there black flies in the Whites? Mass?

mudhead
06-26-2009, 12:26
And deer flies. Don't forget deerflies.

Deadeye
06-26-2009, 16:38
Plenty of blackflies in the Whites, although word is that New Hampshire blackflies are relatively tame compared to Maine's or Vermont's, something about lower taxes.

Don't know about Massachusetts' flies, but I doubt they recognize political boundaries. Some of the worst blackflies I ever ran into were on Glastenbury Mtn. in southern VT, so I'm willing to bet they're almost as nasty a few miles south.

Cigars and a bad attitude, combined with DEET, will get you through.

Snowleopard
06-26-2009, 17:15
Black flies haven't been that bad here (N. Central Mass.) this year. BUT, with all the wet weather the mosquitos may make up for it as soon as warmer weather gets here.
Bring DEET.

russb
06-26-2009, 17:17
Black flies have dissipated in the (southern) Adirondacks, but the skeeters are out in full force.

johnnybgood
06-26-2009, 17:29
Yes . Black flies were more of a nuisance than anything in the Whites last week but once climbing the trail they never bothered me.
Weather also was overcast with a light drizzle every day.
Use DEET and Permethrin Spray also when needed.

shwn354
06-26-2009, 19:47
just did franconia ridge on wednesday and they were pretty annoying anytime we stopped. also a large herd of wasps (pack? flock?) has decided to make its home in the cairn right on top of mt lincoln, so we didn't really linger up there too long