PDA

View Full Version : Camelbak Trizip review

SARdaddy
06-26-2009, 12:47
SARdaddy has received a new pack to play with. Part of the Camelbak 500 line I present the Camelbak TriZip. I will try to post some pics this weekend. But for those who still read, here ya go.

The TriZip is a Mystery Ranch design collaboration with Camelbak. The TriZip basically is Camelbak's version of the 3 day assault pack. It shares many common features with the 3DAP but at a more affordable price point. I found mine on ebay for $218 shipped. Not bad!

Features according to Camelbak:
* 500 denier Cordura®
* Fully adjustable patented Futura Harness by Mystery Ranch
* Printed MOLLE webbing (on ACU model)
* External access side pockets
* Lower drink tube exit ports for under arm tube routing
* Capacity: 100 oz. (3 L)
* Dimensions: 20" x 13" x 11.5" (510 mm x 331 mm x 293 mm)
* Volume (Cargo Only): 2318 cu. in. (37.97 L)
* Volume (Including Water): 2501 cu. in. (40.97 L)
* Weight (Empty Reservoir): 4.89 lbs. (2.22 kg)
* Weight (Filled Reservoir): 11.34 lbs. (5.14 kg)
* Made in the USA

At one time I had the Mystery Ranch 3DAP. I had bought it used off the web, it was the BVS model (has additional padding for use when wearing armor). It was a great pack but there was additional weight do to the radio harness on the interior. The 3DAP was designed to carry military field radios, as well as a combat load. For my civilian and SAR use it was over kill and result in unneeded weight. Also I wasn’t fond of the Coyote color, it’s just not suitable in the woods during deer season (think Doe’s backside!). So I off loaded the pack and was long for it features and comfort. Soon after I sold the 3DAP I saw that Camelbak would release the TriZip. My prayers had been answered. So I waited patiently for it to come out and I read a few reviews and waited for user photos to surface. From what I could see it was perfect for my needs.

Initial impressions:
• Quality sewing and materials
• Comfortable and adjustable yoke system
• All the organization of the original plus some!
• Admin pocket on side for easy access
• Include water reservoir (bonus!)
• Easy access to gear
• Additional long pocket inside for adding more hydration bladders
• Zippered mesh pockets on interior for small items
• Long slot pockets running the length of the pack on the interior (great for knives, tent poles, etc)
• Drain hole on bottom
• Additional molle on bottom of pack
• Very minimal compression straps (easy to manage)
• Velcro strap management on all loose straps (Camelbak standard)

I haven’t found any downsides yet, but I haven’t hiked it yet either. One thing you will need to do is have your gear in sub-loads for easy organization. The TriZip works well when all your kit is in separate bags. I do this anyway because it’s easier to add or subtract from my pack when doing searches. I picked up the ACU model. I am not sure why I did but I just liked the way it looked. I didn’t feel coyote or Multicam where appropriate for what I do. I really don’t like black backpacks. So the ACU was my last choice. I am not in the Army nor am I concerned with camo, but the ACU with matching webbing just looked kick-bum IMHO!

I plan on getting a Kifaru dock and lock claymore to attach to the front of the TriZip. This will give me additional storage that will be easy to remove. The molle on the sides of the pack are minimal but will take some small pouches. I don’t see me using these. The side pouches on the TriZip is what really sets it apart from it’s big brother. The 3DAP had open top pockets, which was great for water bottles. The Trizip has recessed zippered pockets one for a water bottle and the other an admin pocket complete with pen slots and key leash, etc. I like the admin pocket allot, very easy to grab small items.

I rate this pack top notch! If you can’t afford the 3DAP take a look at the TriZip. It has a few more features and bonus water reservoir at an affordable price.