PDA

View Full Version : Overnight trip in the Wind River Range?

Bidwell
06-26-2009, 17:19
Hey folks,

I am thinking about heading up to the Wind River Range this weekend. Anyone suggest a good overnight trip? I have never been there before, but it's a short 3 hour drive so I thought why not?!

- Greg

snowhoe
06-26-2009, 17:25
Dont know but make sure you bring your fly rod.

garlic08
06-26-2009, 18:04
See if you can get in to the Cirque of the Towers. It will depend on your trailhead access, miles per day, etc.

fiddlehead
06-26-2009, 20:32
Access is the problem.
Prepare to do a lot of driving on dirt roads.

I think, if i only had an overnight to do, i would go in at Green River Lake and turn around and come back. Even then, it is probably a 3 hour drive on dirt roads ???

Gray Blazer
06-26-2009, 21:04
AAA lists the free campgrounds. I think you can drive to the top of Mt Gannett. Fiddle is right, I can remember driving down some long dirt roads, but, it was worth it. I think I accessed them at Cody, Wyoming.

fancyfeet
06-26-2009, 21:17
AAA lists the free campgrounds. I think you can drive to the top of Mt Gannett. Fiddle is right, I can remember driving down some long dirt roads, but, it was worth it. I think I accessed them at Cody, Wyoming.

Gray, where did you hike in the Winds? I am hoping to get up to the Cirque this summer, but likely to access via Pinedale.

P.s. I don't think you mean Gannett Peak. That's very remote and requires technical climbing to summit.

hoz
06-27-2009, 04:48
Noway can you "drive to the topof Gannet Peak. It's a strenuous hike and snow climb. A select few have done it in one looong day but most parties take 2-3.

I agree Green River in/out is your best bet.

Bidwell
07-09-2009, 17:25
Thanks, y'all. The trip was delayed, but we're going to be leaving early Saturday to hike a bit on the WRR this weekend. I'll follow up with a report on Monday :)

Sly
07-09-2009, 18:44
You can drive 40 or so miles on good dirt road into Big Sandy and possibly do a loop to the Cirque of Towers over the weekend, however, I forget the mileages and don't have a map in front of me.

mweinstone
07-09-2009, 20:24
go to gannet pk with a car will you? duh. i the great and powerful matthewski summited as leader with five in one day starting at 9000 ft that morn and returning to 9000. by dusk. but it was fast. the rear slope thats further to walk to the start of is easy and like walking up dinos back .(flintstones )the side of the mountain is steep and dangerous and fast and way fun. but the best would be to just go to the alpine lakes district and fly fish and gorg on brookys and cutthroats. go to lander and hitch a ride from the school . its easy . you will have a great hitch.and climbing gannets out comming from your altitude in mormonia. you would have bad dreams at least. and the climb would be no fun at worst. go fishin. sinks canyon has lots of tourists to hitch from. and nols has broke folks in that towns laundry mat that will ride you places for cash. and pick you up. friendly towns in wy are the best.fly to rawlins and theirs someone going to lander several times a day that would love help with gas or booze costs. the horse ranch owned by nols is close to the divide and you should ask if you wanted to park.

mweinstone
07-09-2009, 20:38
interesting weirdo hiker fact whiteblazers .
since the inception of the shuttle program, all, astronauts attend the national outdoor leadership school as protocal prerecwisit for being some of our nations best. so, our alum is pritty cool.

mweinstone
07-09-2009, 20:44
dont ever mention your free weekend in the winds too me. it makes me sneeze with gannet fever. springer fevers western bastard son.