PDA

View Full Version : Campsites in GSMNP on BMT

El Toro '94
06-27-2009, 01:20
Does one need reservations at the campsites in the Smokies on the BMT if one is thruhiking? I am looking at doing the BMT instead of the AT on my way from DWG to Springer so I don't have to retrace my steps too much when I head north.
Also, what is a good source for maps and resupply for the BMT?

Egads
06-27-2009, 06:02
Does one need reservations at the campsites in the Smokies on the BMT if one is thruhiking? I am looking at doing the BMT instead of the AT on my way from DWG to Springer so I don't have to retrace my steps too much when I head north.
Also, what is a good source for maps and resupply for the BMT?

Reservations are required at campsites 50, 47, 38, and laurel gap shelter. CS 93 is closed due to bear activity

El Toro '94
06-27-2009, 10:11
Appreciate the info. Thanx

EMAN
06-27-2009, 10:18
We did most of t his trail NOBO from 20Mile to Smokemont. 5-6 days. Just carried what we needed. Obviously, if you're a healthier (speedier) hiker, you can do it faster and carry less. I'm sure there are folks here who could do the whole section in that amount of time or less. But you could probably resupply somewhere around Smokemont.
I like the Trails Illustrated map #229. Bear in mind that CS# 72 is accessible by boat only.

Ox97GaMe
06-29-2009, 21:51
ALL SMNP backcountry campsites and shelters need to be included on any hike that is done, whether on the AT, the Benton McKaye, or the Mountains to Seas Trail. With thru hikers, they are a bit more relaxed about which specific location you are staying, unless it is a reservation only site, but i dont believe there any of those along the BMT. For all other campsites, you can actually fill out the backcountry permits at one of the kiosks (like at Big Creek or 20 Mile Ranger stations). You dont HAVE to call to get reservations, but they dont mind if you do.

Also, bear activity is high this year in the Smokies, and they are updating bear warnings and bear closings at campsites, shelters, and even some actual trail sections on a daily basis. It wouldnt hurt to get this info from the ranger station before heading into the park and maybe even getting an update when you get into Smokemont.

El Toro '94
06-30-2009, 12:52
Thanx all for the info.
Are there bear boxes or poles at evey campsite, or just the heavily used ones? Any resupply opportunities between green cove motel and davenport gap that don't involve walking all the way down to fontana village and then back? I didn't see any. I would rather not have to hike 5 miles down shuckstack and then back up it just to resupply.
Also, I read in MAGS's trail journal that green cove motel is seasonal-anyone kno about it?

Bati
06-30-2009, 23:29
The Smokies have bear cables or poles at every campsite/shelter. Good luck getting thru to the reservation number! It's almost impossible for a backpacker not to stay at a rationed spot on the Northern part of the BMT (check the BMT site for more info.)

You can try to resupply at Cherokee or at Eagle/Hazel Creek, but be sure that the ferry has you down correctly. I suspect they don't often have pick ups before drop offs and had issues. Check your AT sources as well as your BMT info for numbers, etc and confirm that these sources aren't also closed for the season.

You can assume that Green Cove and almost everything else on this trail is seasonal; it's better to be safe than sorry, the recession is also closing some small businesses, and pay phones are being pulled from areas with no cell phone reception. As always, check for maildrops- call ahead if it's a store or confirm at your local PO if it's a PO (I had an adventure once where the Post office shut down a small PO I was using on another trail.)

If you're truly out of season, be careful. Unlike the AT,the BMT is not blazed in many places (especially the Smokies), so it would be nearly impossible to follow most of the parts North of Lakeshore if you got a heavy snow. A foot or more on the ground is not out of the question in the Smokies. The minor fords (check your trail map) could also create hazards out of season and if you encounter the major ones you'll probably have no choice but to blue-blaze around in the Smokies. Luckily this is easy- just find and follow the AT as it is well-blazed and has no fords to facilitate out-of-season hiking.

rbrfuture
09-19-2009, 17:13
On my SOBO BMT, I resupplied south of GSMNP by hitching to Fontana Village at Twentymile. I had a maildrop at Fontana Village P.O. This approach avoids hiking down on the AT from Shuckstack- then back up again.

MedicineMan
09-20-2009, 00:22
not that this applies to you but we were at CS72 Double Island 3 weeks ago paddle camping and the kiosk for BC permits at the marina was without.