PDA

View Full Version : maryland hiking--questions

stuffsack
06-27-2009, 08:43
Planning on hiking SOBO from Caldonia St. Park (PA) to Harpers Ferry...can anyone tell me what the uphill climbs are like, if there is anywhere to resupply (stores/outfitters/etc.) in maryland close to the trail (want to carry as little food/weight as possible), do you need to hang your food overnight--if so, are there bear cables, and what are the water supplies like? I want my group to be REALLY prepared, as we have some new hikers going & I haven't hiked this part of the trail. We are planning to hike about 10 miles a day. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

CowHead
06-27-2009, 09:40
no bear cables at the shelter's you can get info here http://www.backpacker.com/destinations/category/all/1463
There's a hostel near Ensign Cowall Shelter http://www.freestatehiker.com/ I usely carry everything I need and the springs are all flowing great

bullseye
06-27-2009, 09:50
Compared to the trail in Maine there are no uphills in Maryland:p. Most climbs SOBO are easy/gradual. Wolfsville road was one I remember as steep, but short. This is a nice section of trail for new hikers.

CowHead
06-27-2009, 10:12
I think the climb out of Pen Mar is the hardest, devils race course and such, wolfsville rd is the most vertical climb in a short distance

joec
06-27-2009, 10:16
I did it last summer. It was relatively easy. The big rocks out of Pen Mar was the toughest. You get alot of breaks along the way with the parks and historic areas. There is even a hot shower available, 50 feet off the trail, on the 2nd nite, very nice.

RockDoc
06-27-2009, 13:58
I've done it 5 or 6 times, since the 1960's (it was the "4-state hike" in our Maryland Boy Scout Troop). Most recently I did it in late Nov 08. I love that section.

Can anyone tell me what the uphill climbs are like?

They are short and forgiving, by AT standards. Maybe 1000 ft in 2 miles (check the map). Although they are a notch above novice level. You should check the profiles shown on the map; don't go without taking the map. Studying the map/profiles will answer your questions and you should plan where you want to camp. It's moderately rocky (not as bad as eastern Penn). Once you climb above the "gaps" you have a series of long easy ridge walks. The high point is Lambs Knoll, which is a few hour climb SOBO, but not steep or difficult. More people have trouble with the downhill on the Weaverton cliffs (1000 ft/mile), which can be tricky in wet slippery weather. Also the footing is rocky on the ridge as you approach Weaverton. Many people have tripped and fallen in that area.

Is there is anywhere to resupply (stores/outfitters/etc.) in maryland close to the trail (want to carry as little food/weight as possible)?

Not easily. Check with the Free State Hostel; I'm sure they would help you. It's too far (a few miles) to walk into Boonsboro, but somebody could hitch if necessary. There's not much at the old restaurant at alt rt 40 (the road to Boonsboro), but maybe you could buy a meal or a snack there. You cross several roads and someone could meet you for resupply if necessary; that's what we did in the Boys Scouts, and it might be a good option for you. There's a popular pop machine at Crampton Gap, but no food there.

Do you need to hang your food overnight--if so, are there bear cables?

We never have; no there are no cables. Generally not a problem. Mice in shelters is a larger concern. If there is a bear problem you will hear about it from hikers/registers/signs; then definitely yes you should hang food. But this is unlikely IMO.

What are the water supplies like?

Nice springs and small streams. I think there is a tap at Dahlstrom campground, where the showers are. Very good quality water, in general, although in Nov the spring was dry at Crampton Gap shelter. Again, the map shows where you can get water. You should not have to hike loaded down with water, unless it's horribly hot.

I want my group to be REALLY prepared, as we have some new hikers going & I haven't hiked this part of the trail. We are planning to hike about 10 miles a day. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Well then you should do a shakedown cruise. Don't wait till you are committed to 5 days to find out there are problems.
That's a prudent mileage for beginners, although at 10 miles/day, that's a 5 day/4 night hike. Yes that's a bit much food for novices to carry. Up the mileage to 15 mpd and it's just a 3 day/2 night hike, and carrying all the food is no problem. At 2 mph 10 miles takes only 5 hrs, at a time when there is like 17 hrs of sunlight. How are you going to spend the other 12 hrs of light? There's a lot of dead time there; maybe find a way to lighten the packs and walk a little farther each day?

This section is fairly easy (although I remember it being a challenge for me as teen novice) and heavily used. Also it has interesting historical monuments and Civil War battlefields. The trail is well marked, and quite wide most of the way. Hiking the railroad bridge into Harpers Ferry is a scenic, exciting way to finish. (the route used to follow the highway across the Sandy Hook bridge; that was a miserable slog.)
Have a good time.

modiyooch
06-27-2009, 14:19
it's a historical hike. I got all my water from spigots along the way, but I carry water weight and cover more than 10 miles a day. I always hang my food regardless. I'm pretty certain that climb out of Pen Mar is tough. If I were going to resupply, I would park a car with supplies at various places along the hike such as Pen Mar, Washington Monument, and more. You can do better than 10 miles a day. And, it will be hot.

CowHead
06-28-2009, 10:28
leaving out this afternoon from front royal to pen mar see ya on the trail