PDA

View Full Version : Pieces of Tyvek (Home Wrap)

VTATHiker
06-27-2009, 11:39
I'm sure this is in a thread somewhere but I can't find it...

Where does everyone get their Tyvek? I bought some from the guys I got my tent from but it was precut and really not large enough (especially after washing it).

Suggestions on places to look or people to contact? I've heard of some people buying whole rolls and slowly selling it off to people like me. I just need to find em!

-SEEKER-
06-27-2009, 11:57
Don't know first hand, but I heard they do it at Neel's Gap.

Snowleopard
06-27-2009, 12:08
Search ebay, there's a couple people selling it by the foot/yard there.
Or http://questoutfitters.com/fabric%20lightweight.htm#Lightweight Items this is the softer version used in clothing.

STICK
06-27-2009, 14:58
A friend of mine builds houses and he just cut off a piece and just gave it to me. If you see any construction going on stop by and ask them, sometimes they have scrap pieces that you can cut to size yourself.
And I have not washed mine. I have read of people doing this, but I havent. At first it was kinda loud and a for a lack of a better word, stiff, but after using it a few times it is not loud, or crinkly. I just roll it up and its all good.

mister krabs
06-27-2009, 19:19
Don't know first hand, but I heard they do it at Neel's Gap.

they do, by the foot, three feet wide. A little far from virginia though.

lvleph
06-27-2009, 19:44
Henry Shires sells some.

Mango
06-27-2009, 20:20
In '06 I got some from Lowe's - specialty lumber and trimwork is wrapped in it, and they throw it away after unwrapping. Home Depot does the same thing. You just have to hit the store at the right time. As already mentioned, contractors can give you a new piece or let you scavenger through their scraps. No need to pay, unless you can get just a little. I just got a partial roll from a big construction project where I live - the general contractor was intrigued by thru-hiking and had lots of ?'s. My first TA for next year's PCT.

Blissful
06-27-2009, 21:11
At construction sites. Ask or look in their dumpster. :)

And I never wash it!

johnnybgood
06-27-2009, 22:22
Come on down my way , they're still building new houses like there's no tomorrow.

Also try ebay , I saw plenty being sold a few months ago.

CrumbSnatcher
06-27-2009, 22:26
################

robmurphy
06-28-2009, 01:42
Are you using Tyvek for a ground sheet under your tents? Or something else?

skinewmexico
06-28-2009, 02:17
You can crush / work the tyvek by hand for a few minutes, and really quiet it down.

Tankerhoosen
06-28-2009, 02:26
Ground cloths for tarps? Whats the advantage over a plastic sheet?

Hooch
06-28-2009, 03:39
Tyvek by the foot (http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=TYVEK) from the fine folks at AntiGravity Gear.

Hikes in Rain
06-28-2009, 07:27
Ground cloths for tarps? Whats the advantage over a plastic sheet?

Always wondered that myself. :confused: I use a piece of builder's plastic, but I'm upgrading gear now, so if there's a good reason to switch...

STICK
06-28-2009, 15:26
I use mine under my tent. While I cant tell you how much it weights, I will say its very little! Its worth it just for a little extra protection for my tent and also keeps the tent cleaner so its not so bad to stuff it back with all that dirt on it the next morning. And no, I havent washed it, dried it or anything else. After a few uses and rolling it back up, it softens up quite nicely, and you dont wear it out in the washer or dryer so you can get more use out of it!!

rootball
06-28-2009, 19:30
I got some off a damaged roll at home depot once. A framer might give you a BIG chunk in exchange for a six of bud. A nice builder might give you some. I have a roll of the Lowes version of tyvek - but the weave is bigger than real tyvek and it does not work as well for camping uses in my opinion. I also have some of the real tyvek, but since I don't build anymore I am less likely to part with any of it. If a 100' roll costs about 140.00 then a 10' peice should cost 14.00. Look for a house that is being framed and go ask - it can't hurt. (make sure to have a cold 6 in the car just in case).

Blissful
06-28-2009, 19:41
I liked Tyvek for the weight and durability. Used only 2 pieces for my entire hike in '07 as a ground cloth in shelters and muddy ground.

tank4ddog
06-28-2009, 19:45
I was in Lowes yesterday and they have started carrying smaller rolls
makes greast kites too.

Panzer1
06-28-2009, 21:05
I saw some at Lowes too. It is $43 for a 100 foot by 3 foot roll.

Panzer

VTATHiker
07-01-2009, 22:51
Thanks all - I'll give the construction site method a try. I personally like the Tyvek over plastic as I think it weighs a little less (definitely higher strength to weight ratio) and is considerably more durable than your typical painter's plastic. (I'm a polymer processing engineer so I'll allow myself to safely make that claim :-))

Appreciate the help!!

Hikes in Rain
07-02-2009, 05:45
That's the reason I was looking for, thanks. Lighter is good, less likely to get holes poked in it is very good. Off to haunt the construction sites....