PDA

View Full Version : Nobo Or Sobo??!??!?!??

SunnyWalker
06-27-2009, 22:06
I thought I had settled this in my mind but alas, no. Whether to thru hike SOB or NOBO? At first impulse I figured NOBO but then became aware via WB that many folk hike SOB and Flip flop and so on and so forth.

Is there good weather when one hikes South? If one hikes North do you have the problem with bugs as I hear about SOBO? I know there is bugs when one camps and hikes. But the descriptions of the SOB bug trauma seems over the top sometimes. So fill me in on what NOBO face as far as that.

Lastly, I have come down to finishing up the hike. The grand finish on Kahtahdin would be really neat. I have section hiked GA and to think of finishing up at Springer seems like it would not be as grand and glorious.

The solitude of SOBO (what there is of it) appeals to me. The bunches of NOBO does not, but I can make it work, no problem.

Any input would be appreciated. Please give benefits of both or either. Thanks a million.

-Amen :sun

fiddlehead
06-27-2009, 22:16
It's not the destination, it's the journey.
From what you say, I think SOBO is best for you.

Bugs can be pretty bad in Maine in June and into July.
Expect to need a headnet for the first few hundred miles.
Before June, it's a little early for a SOBO start. (ice out in Maine happens in mid-may)

garlic08
06-27-2009, 22:23
As far as bugs and weather, a lot depends on when you leave and how fast you hike. If you're a fast hiker and can make a 4-month pace, you can avoid many of the bug and weather problems most hikers face, either direction. If you're going to be out there for six or more months, it will be very hard to avoid both issues, so just choose your poison.

It sounds like you have most of the other concerns in your grasp.

I think it'll mainly boil down to whether you like company or not. By the way, it's easy enough to avoid most of the NOBO pack issues if you just camp in the woods. Pretend there aren't any shelters to sleep in (use them for water and picnics). And make use of the wonderful trail magic you probably won't see much of SOBO. For me, it was the social aspect that made the AT unique compared to the other long US trails.

SunnyWalker
06-27-2009, 22:42
I'll be 60 and so will try to be in shape but will start out slow at 10-15 miles a day at the most. This for the first while. In my reading it seems that some hikers injuries were caused by pushing it to fast and punishing the body, inadvertently of course. I want to plan on using the whole six months to make the hike.

Lone Wolf
06-28-2009, 06:31
Southbound. it's a much better walk

Jeff
06-28-2009, 07:02
Bugs are part of a six month hike! Only way to avoid them is a wintertime thru. That has its own severe challenges.

I personally get uncomfortable camping in freezing conditions day after day. This recent trend about starting in February would not appeal to me. Begining in early April allows you to really enjoy the springtime in the south & see the autumn colors in New England.

stranger
06-29-2009, 00:01
Nobo hikers are like sheep, they horde to hostels and shelters, if you camp between shelters and stay at motels you won't see too many people, especially due to most shelters being 0.1 miles down a side trail, unless you need to shoot down to get some water.

I can't speak about the sobo experience, but it does sound very different, and attractive.

Also, I wouldn't pick a direction based on the end point, most hikers never get to the end anyway, it would be silly to pick a direction for that one purpose. Katahdin is an attractive mountain, but it's nothing compared to places I've seen, it's all relative.

High Life
06-29-2009, 01:33
i flipped from harpers nobo and then sobo, the weather was amazing except for the severe drought in the sotuh ( 2007 )
last year harpers to rangely maine was a rainy and muddy nightmare during the exact same months ..sooo idk.. but i think the fall in the south was just amazing and it keep you on your toes to see a man in full camo with a shootgun walking towards you at 8 am ..

Johnny Swank
06-29-2009, 11:03
Go SOBO my friend. It is all downhill from Maine, afterall.

MadAussieInLondon
06-29-2009, 12:11
i always liked the idea of starting at harpers ferry, south to springer then jump back and go north to K. by th etime you get back to HF to go north the pack will have thinned out substantially and you get to finish on the K

Tin Man
06-29-2009, 12:41
When I mention to NOBO's that I plan to SOBO some day, the typical response is, 'but you will miss all the magic and feeds'. My response is 'exactly'. The NOBO walk is for the 20-something party crowd.

CrumbSnatcher
06-29-2009, 12:45
When I mention to NOBO's that I plan to SOBO some day, the typical response is, 'but you will miss all the magic and feeds'. My response is 'exactly'. The NOBO walk is for the 20-something party crowd.
yeah all the Nobo's suck and virginia is too flat! everything is on the wrong side of the trail going north,it all sucks just stay home!

jrue1985
07-02-2009, 09:32
Ok, dumb question- but i am new to the AT hiking, and new to this site; I don't know all the lingo and abbreviations. What is NOBO and all the others? What do they mean?

Jo-To
07-02-2009, 10:16
Ok, dumb question- but i am new to the AT hiking, and new to this site; I don't know all the lingo and abbreviations. What is NOBO and all the others? What do they mean?

NOBO= North bound. Springer to Kahtahdin.

SOBO= South bound. Kahtahdin to Springer.

rhjanes
07-02-2009, 10:22
Game / GaMa is Georgia to Maine (northbound).
MeGa is opposite (southbound)

jersey joe
07-02-2009, 10:45
Finishing at Katahdin is a very good reason to go NOBO.
I also enjoyed moving north with spring.

Red Hat
07-02-2009, 12:14
Is there good weather when one hikes South? If one hikes North do you have the problem with bugs as I hear about SOBO? I know there is bugs when one camps and hikes. But the descriptions of the SOB bug trauma seems over the top sometimes. So fill me in on what NOBO face as far as that.
-Amen :sun
You are from Pampa, TX. You are 56 years old. Your chances of finishing a hike are much better going NOBO. SOBO is great for the younger, and more experienced hiker, since it starts out really tough. Take my word for it, I tried a SOBO last year and only got to Monson. I did better with my NOBO in 2005 when I got to Harper's Ferry. Bugs are bad SOBO, but Deet and long sleeves help. NOBO you'll get some bugs, but the bad blackflies are gone by the time most NOBOs get there. My 2 cents worth...

stranger
07-02-2009, 22:57
I've done multiple nobo hikes (not thrus, but the shortest hike was 500 miles) and I don't know if I agree that nobo's are all 20 something party hikers, but I understand where that view comes from.

I think the vast majority of long distance hikers are young, probably in the age group of 18-25, and the vast majority are male. So by default, this is a group of people that likes to party, I know I did when I was in that demographic. And most people go north, so I think this is where view comes from.

And of course, you are more likely to hear about negative things along the trail rather than positive, so for every time you hear about 8 male teenager thru-hikers doing something stupid, there are 200 who don't participate in these activities. Unfortunately, the small minority have more influence on services for hikers than the vast majority who don't abuse them.

I've met plenty of older, more mature hikers during a nobo AT hike, but it's safe to say this doesn't happen every day. Like I said in an earlier post, if you avoid hostels in town, and shelters on the trail, you might be surprised how few people you see along the actual trail, after all everyone is walking in the same direction, so it can seem empty at times.

ShelterLeopard
07-02-2009, 23:03
Well, I like the idea of being able to start earlier in the year (I'm starting in late February), and I really like the idea of ending at Katahdin- so much more climactic than Springer! Besides, I feel a pull north (though going south does somehow feel like going down hill). So, NoBo for me!

Tin Man
07-02-2009, 23:04
certainly nobos are well represented by all age groups. and the 20-somethings all seem like the nicest folks when you meet them individually on the trail, but whenever i see them in a large group at a shelter or going to town, they seem to take on a party hardy, damn the torpedoes mentality. that's all i am referring to

Reid
07-02-2009, 23:13
I've been planning at 2011 NOBO, but I'm little by little begining to think that I'd like to go SOBO. The group dynamics Tin Man spoke about above me here is not really what I want to get caught up with.

SunnyWalker
07-02-2009, 23:30
Well, I appreciate the feedback. Also Marta put me on to some threads that discuss this in detail.

A little about background. One post noted that I was from Pampa, TX. I am from the Pacfic NW and have done extensive hiking there. I feel I am experienced and able to do the thru hike South or North. I might cancel out and to Pacific Crest thru hike instead. I first thought of AT when I had broke my ankle riding across USA on a bicycle. I was home recuperating and went to Barnes and Noble for something to read. Found a book on AT in the backpacking section. At any rate, SOBO weather sounds real good, lonelier, nice start (Kahtahdin and 100 Mile "Wilderness"), Son lives in Ga so I'd be walking "home".

SunnyWalker
07-02-2009, 23:30
Oh, sorry, I do live in Pampa TX right now though.

SunnyWalker
07-02-2009, 23:31
Also, I went back from where I had had the accident and my son and I finished the ride the next year. Sorry, got carried away, It was a ride from TX north to Kansas and then West to Florence, OR. So actually not across entire USA. Sorry about that.

SunnyWalker
07-02-2009, 23:57
Note: I have found the SOBO forum (Thanks Marta) and so we can stop posting on this thread. Thanks Marta and all.

Now, about hiking north or south . . . . . .