PDA

View Full Version : Skin So Soft

Sassy63
06-27-2009, 22:37
I am attempting my first long backpacking trip with my husband through the Grayson Highlands/ Mt. Rogers (4 days) and I could use a lot of womenly advise. I am thinking about taking skin so soft to ward off any biting insects but I don't at the same time want to smell attractive to any larger creatures as well, mainly bears, if you know what I mean. All suggestions would be great! And help with packing Summer clothing would be helpful as well, what to bring, what to expect, etc. All suggestions would be great from a womens perspective since I am a newb.

River Runner
06-27-2009, 22:44
I don't think I'd trust Skin-So-Soft on the trail for bug repellent. Deet is the most effective. Clothing treated with Permethrin & a bug head net also works.

For summer clothing, a pair of zip-off pants to wear, spare pair of underwear (wash one out at night & let dry the next day), tank top or T-shirt worn, and a very light jacket or a long sleeved shirt, and a spare pair of socks should be enough. I would also bring a clean tank & pair of shorts to sleep in. This is for warm summer weather, such as July and early August. Starting in late August/early Sept, the mountains can get cooler.

vamelungeon
06-27-2009, 22:55
http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/skeeters.asp

One word...
DEET.

Blissful
06-27-2009, 23:57
Agree take DEET by all means.

And don't bring anything cotton. It takes forever to dry if wet and if a t-storm hits and you get wind and you're wet, can you chill you down and cause problems.

I use panty liners in underwear so you can wear the underwear multiple days (be sure to pack out the liners). Washing out underwear is a pain in camp. But if it were me for four day trip, I'd take two hiking undies and one cotton pair to sleep in at night (the only thing I bring that is cotton, btw).

I'd take a rain jacket too, for camp, just in case.

River Runner
06-28-2009, 00:23
I agree with Blissful, you'll need a rain jacket too. I usually don't even think about that with my clothing - it's just an essential item.

I'd advise to try hiking a few miles in panty liners before bringing them on a hike. For me they tend to bunch up and cause chafing.

Hoop Time
06-28-2009, 12:30
Skin so Soft is popular with fly fishermen because it does not contain DEET, which can cause fly line to deteriorate. But my experience has been that it really is not great protection against bugs. It is better than not using anything, but I'd agree with those here who advise to use DEET. In particular, Skin So Soft does nothing to deter or repel ticks, which are a concern when hiking . And as I mentioned, it is not really great for skeeters either.

That's a man's perspective, but from one who has tried Skin So Soft and found it lacking. I offer no advise on the undies.

Blissful
06-28-2009, 19:40
I'd advise to try hiking a few miles in panty liners before bringing them on a hike. For me they tend to bunch up and cause chafing.

This is a good idea. Not everything works for everyone. I used the small ones (carefree body shape) and in ex officio undies, worked fine for me.

Lone Wolf
06-28-2009, 19:43
skin-so-soft does not work. nor do dryer sheets. there aren't many bugs in the highlands anyway

RAT
06-28-2009, 20:26
skin-so-soft does not work. nor do dryer sheets. there aren't many bugs in the highlands anyway

Ditto, have tried everything, nothing works against bugs other than high concentrations of Deet, military issue being the best.

Of course I did notice once on a trip up Big Bald that a friends dog who had rolled in cow poop did NOT have bugs on him but they were all over us, anyone willing to test this theory out ?

Hairnt !

SARdaddy
06-29-2009, 08:51
I have tried SSS and it never worked like the claims. Stick to DEET

Wise Old Owl
06-29-2009, 09:24
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51806

Skin So Soft doesn't work in the woods, great for you back yard or beach.

Deep Woods Off contains deet and was a clear winner in a personal test over several weeks. Make sure you get the back of your neck and elbows & ankles.

StarLyte
06-29-2009, 10:16
You'll smell great, but it won't work well in the woods.

Just use DEET and a lot of acceptance ;)

Gumbi
06-29-2009, 12:35
While Skin So Soft does repel gnats and mosquitoes (to a degree), it attracts bees, wasps, and hornets. I hope you aren't allergic to bee stings!

ohmeringue
11-29-2009, 15:52
Wow! Smell natural and use DEET.

You don't want to attract anything that wants to taqke a bit out of you!

Just smell like all the other hikers..you'll get used to it ( hopefully).

Best of luck.

Ohmeringue

ianjoe59
12-14-2009, 17:44
(Using husband's account)
We used DEET as well. After we applied permethrin to our clothes around Harper's Ferry we did not have a tick on us. (Only saw 2 prior to that).

I wore shorts for my entire thru (started March 10). But, for you I would suggest zip off pants, 2 pairs of underwear, one long sleeve and one short sleeve tee. Underwear and tees I would highly suggest wool!