PDA

View Full Version : OFF - Clip on

modiyooch
06-28-2009, 16:34
Has anyone tried the OFF clip on insect repellant? Would this work in backcountry Maine? Would you trust it?

freefall
06-29-2009, 03:57
I just turned on the TV today and saw this commercial for the first time. Was wondering how effective they are as well.

Wise Old Owl
06-29-2009, 08:57
I have been in Canada (where its worse) and I took several small bottles with no deet, some deet, and 100percent. Only one product stood out and really provided some relief Deep Woods OFF.

When in Maine the bugs are different, they will chase you down a wooded trail in daylight and target the face & neck and elbows, but not everyone. Some folks are the wrong flavor or smell and do not drink water as much and won't need anything.

I will not use anything else now.

And I use a bug net.

FritztheCat
06-29-2009, 11:21
Really effective in the backyard. Put one on the table and the little buggers leave you completely alone. However, wearing one while walking doesn't seem to work. The clip on has a little fan that blows the repellant. When you walk, you leave the cloud of repellant so it doesn't detour the bloodsuckers from attacking.

think0075
06-29-2009, 11:53
all i have to say is Ben's 100

Blissful
06-29-2009, 13:02
Out in the woods, DEET all the way for me.

In my backyard, the other stuff.

Pony
06-29-2009, 13:30
I found one of these last week while hiking. The noise of the fan was enough to deter me from using it. Turns out I knew the guy who "lost" it. He seems to have "lost" a lot of things including a towel, water bottle, the batteries for the OFF clip (which were mysteriously found about .5 miles before I found his OFF clip), and the corners of his snickers bar wrappers. It seems some people just lose a lot of stuff, but we talked and I think from now on he'll keep a better eye on his posessions, though I'm not holding my breath.

Oh yeah, on top of the noise of the fan it didn't seem to keep the bugs away.

modiyooch
06-29-2009, 18:52
Really effective in the backyard. Put one on the table and the little buggers leave you completely alone. However, wearing one while walking doesn't seem to work. The clip on has a little fan that blows the repellant. When you walk, you leave the cloud of repellant so it doesn't detour the bloodsuckers from attacking.thanks. seems to be expensive, too.

slowandlow
06-29-2009, 23:17
all i have to say is Ben's 100

Please allow me to reiterate.

modiyooch
06-30-2009, 07:31
Please allow me to reiterate.
I'm a believer of Bens. Last May, I was hiking in Maine and underestimated the deet requirement for a 15 miles day hike. I actually found a bottle of Bens in the woods on a tree stump. It was providential and saved the weekend.

superman
06-30-2009, 07:47
When I humped in Vietnam the mosquitoes were fierce. They gave us 100% deet. By the end of my first operation, I had wicked skin irritations from the deet so instead of putting the deet on me I put it on the towel that I wore around my neck. That worked but from time to time I'd throw the towel away from me to get some fresh air. I still have that OD towel and despite being laundered it still smells like deet.:-?

modiyooch
06-30-2009, 08:13
yes, i do feel that i overdosed on deet, whether it was absorbed in my skin, inhaled, on lingering on my fingers when I ate gorp. I need a better system.

Back in the 90s I did use a natural repellent in Maine that worked fine. This same repellent was useless in FL.

modiyooch
06-30-2009, 08:15
my main problem is that I cannot tolerate wearing long sleeves and long pants. I hike in shorts and sleeveless top.

Mr. Clean
06-30-2009, 08:22
Natrapel works for me around the house, but I haven't tried it hiking yet. Otherwise, it's deet for me.

Blue Jay
06-30-2009, 11:13
I'm always impressed by the ability of humans to come up with new ways to poison themselves.:eek:

flemdawg1
06-30-2009, 16:25
Had good luck with Repel Permaone spray. Just doesn't hold up if you're wading all day though.

http://www.rei.com/product/784097

Ladytrekker
06-30-2009, 16:28
I have tried to buy one, but everywhere I go they are sold out, they either work or people are like us giving them a try.

WalkingStick75
06-30-2009, 16:34
Warning label states do no breath vapors... this thing has a fan that is supposed to make a vapor bubble around you. Local new channel did a report on repelling mosquitoes and included this they concluded waste of money. Use deet

buzzamania
06-30-2009, 17:09
I used picardin that i got a wally world because it claims that it doesn't eat synthetic fabrics like deet. At the end of very sweat day my skin is rubbin all over my hammock so I figured, what the hay. In the fine print it said. "Use Picardin, because using deet causes your brain to turn into mush and cause you to vote for democrats." No joke. It kept the mosquitoes and black flies off me while everyone else were gettin hammered during my recent section.

freefall
06-30-2009, 20:19
yes, i do feel that i overdosed on deet, whether it was absorbed in my skin, inhaled, on lingering on my fingers when I ate gorp. I need a better system.

I accidentally brushed my teeth w/ DEET the other day. The bottle of 100% that I carry leaked on my toothbrush and at first I thought it was soap.

So far no side effects.

B Thrash
06-30-2009, 20:55
Had good luck with Repel Permaone spray. Just doesn't hold up if you're wading all day though.

http://www.rei.com/product/784097

I have used this stuff with good results, the only downer is that it is to be sprayed on clothing and equipment, not on the skin.