PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Air Core pad... anyone?

cwayman1
06-28-2009, 16:44
hey,

looking for a sleeping pad for my girlfriend that won't bore a hole in my pocket. right now i'm thinking about the BA AirCore pad. Has anyone tried this one... or one like it? any info is much appreciated!

-cwayman1

also, if there has already been a thread about it then could someone please direct me to it :)?

peace!

Deadeye
06-28-2009, 17:34
I use the BA insulated aircore short mummy - great sleep, doesn't take long to inflate/deflate, reasonable weight & cost, great product

darkage
06-28-2009, 18:35
I changed from my thermarest to BA aircore and haven't looked back .... I've been fairly exhausted at the end of some hiking days and still found that blowing it up wasn't an issue .....

bigcranky
06-28-2009, 21:13
Just make sure you get the insulated pad.

skinewmexico
06-29-2009, 01:06
Might look at the POE Ether Thermo 6 too....I've had great luck with mine.

yaduck9
06-29-2009, 01:25
BA AirCore pad

Mine is insulated. Used it up in Utah this spring and it seemed to let me sleep a little warmer. I slept much better, its much more comfortable then your standard foam pad or z rest. it does weigh a bit more, but I think its worth the trade off for a better nights sleep.

buz
06-29-2009, 09:35
For me, was upgrade from nice Thermarest pad. Slept better, packs smaller, weight a little lighter. Get the insulated one, for me, good to 30 degrees, not 15 like stated. YMMV. I like mine.

silversleep
06-29-2009, 09:45
BA aircore is quite popular on the AT. most, including myself, like it fine.

jrnj5k
06-29-2009, 10:49
BA Aircore pad is great. Very heavy though. EMS makes one thats lighter and cheaper. Id check that out.

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455 24442601271&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302901338

cwayman1
06-29-2009, 20:59
are there any REAL draw-backs in getting an UN-insulated pad? and thanks for all of the input so far :)!

rockdawg69
06-29-2009, 21:30
are there any REAL draw-backs in getting an UN-insulated pad? and thanks for all of the input so far :)!

Depends on how cold you plan to camp? Insulated gives you the option of longer camping season and those sudden unexpected temperature drops.

bigcranky
06-29-2009, 21:35

For your GIRLFRIEND? Are you kidding?

Sure, the drawback is that she gets cold and kicks the **** out of you. That's what my wife would do.

There is a reason why sleeping pads made for women have a higher R-value than men's pads. For whatever reason, from my experience it appears that women sleep colder than men.

cwayman1
06-29-2009, 22:33
well, the lows for her entire trip are supposed to be around the mid/low 50's... maybe dipping into the 40's... MAYBE, and most of our bp-ing is done in the summer- both being full-time students and all. I think I might just go with an un-ins one... haha, against bigcranky's... well... seemingly crankiness :)

vtsoutherner
06-29-2009, 22:49
The EMS pad does not have a baffle system like the BA - it has cemented 'valleys" which privide almost no R value at all. i just bought the BA air core in sulated and thought it a much better product.

The EMS pad is way cheaper, though...

bigcranky
06-30-2009, 07:39
I think I might just go with an un-ins one... haha, against bigcranky's... well... seemingly crankiness :)

In this case it's not crankiness, Grasshopper, but experience.

There are two things that I will not cheap out on: 1) sleeping gear for my wife, and 2) rain gear for my child. These rules are based on long and sometimes painful experience (I still have scars from all that kicking.)

Seriously, the ground is a huge heat sink. It sucks the heat out of the human body unless there is some insulation between said body and the ground. Even with lows in the 50s (and especially in the 40s.) It may be nice and warm when a hiker goes to sleep, but waking up cold at 4:00am is not fun.

If you decide to go with the uninsulated BA pad, at least get her a $10 Wally-Mart blue foam pad to put under it for some insulation. You can trim it down some to save weight and bulk.

BobTheBuilder
06-30-2009, 09:09
I hate to say this, but....my mileage has varied.

I love the comfort of my insulated air-core, but I have sent it back to BA three times for leaks that have resulted in me waking up on the cold dirt with a pad that doesn't hold air. To BA's credit, they have replaced it every time without question. Each new one they send me looks a little different, like they are improving the material, so maybe it is getting better.

The latest one leaks slow, so I use it car camping because if I wake up once to reinflate, that gets me through the night. Nonetheless, if I am out for more than one night, I take my thermarest. No way am I trusting a whole trip to my insulated air-core. Sorry.

bigcranky
06-30-2009, 09:23
If you want another option, try this one:

http://www.rei.com/product/734514

Deadeye
06-30-2009, 16:39
I love the comfort of my insulated air-core, but I have sent it back to BA three times for leaks that have resulted in me waking up on the cold dirt with a pad that doesn't hold air.

Which is why I also carry a half a z-rest (6 sections). It does triple-duty or more: it's a sit/nap pad for mid-day breaks, it goes under my aircore pad prolonging it's life, it provides padding should the pad blow a gasket, it extends the temperature range a whole bunch, etc.

My pad hasn't leaked yet, but IMO any inflatable pad is a leak waiting for an opportunity, so be prepared.

SC Ryan
06-30-2009, 16:46
I used one for the first half of the trail. Very comfortable, but I couldn't get the thought out of my head that it was getting heavier each time I blew it up from the moisture of my breath. Early in my hike, I took my pad out a couple times and could feel the insulation inside it was frozen from the moisture build up. Plus I finally got a leak and sent it home in favor of a z-rest.

cwayman1
06-30-2009, 21:54
hmmm... this may be one of those "dumb what ifs" but what if one inserted an emergency space blanket either between the ground/pad or between the pad/bag? you know, to create that extra layer of heat reflectivity(possibly NOT a real word) :) i mean, i can't be the first to think of this...? ideas... comments?

Blissful
06-30-2009, 23:04
Works good. I like mine.

mudcap
07-01-2009, 09:47
I have the insulated wide/long pad and love it.

cwayman1
07-08-2009, 18:05
haha, well, she ended up getting the Exped Synmat 7 :) I really think it's gonna work well for her! thank you'all sooooo much for all of the input and help.

wyominglostandfound
07-08-2009, 18:15
i use the regular uninsulated air core and it is super lite. big deal about the insulation being gone. i have not noticed it but i am used to sleeping in the cold too. wyoming.

summermike
07-08-2009, 18:57
I use the rectangular short but I've never had one last for more than a few months.

NitroSteel
10-16-2009, 21:19
I bought the BA insulated air core pad a few years ago after testing it side by side at a hiking store with a Thermarest pro-lite 4. For comfort, it definetly got the vote - even though I have always hated blowing it up. It's been on several hiking trips, camping trips, many nights testing the ratings of my bag on the back deck, many, many days in the house with my 4 year old jumping on it. No leaks to date, and I feel like it has been thoroughly punished.

We pitched a tent on slightly uneven ground near a shelter on the AT a couple weeks ago and it was a bugger staying on the pad at night - hiking partner had a hard time staying on his also (his is a 25x78, mine is 20x72). It was the first time I'd been forced to setup on uneven terrain, but it was definetly a struggle staying on the pad.

We went by REI on the way home and they had the 25x78 size Thermarest Pro-Lite4 on sale for $64.00, so I bought one. I'm curious to see how it does in comfort and for insulation. It's nice to have the wider pad, for sure, but it will be heavier to tote. I don't think it will be nearly as slippery or hard to stay on, and I definetely won't have to blow it up (maybe one puff).

In regards to cold. I felt cold air coming through the pad when camping on hunting trip in Wyoming last October when it was 12 degrees (camped in a tent on about a foot of snow). The next night I had a blue Wal-Mart pad under the BA pad and it was fine (@17 degrees). I wonder how the Thermalite 4 pad would have done in the same circumstances (any idea???).

Thank ya'll,

NitroSteel

Manwich
10-16-2009, 21:52
The insulated air core is, in my opinion only good to around 35 degrees. After that, youll feel the pad getting cold.

NitroSteel
10-16-2009, 22:15
The guy at REI tried to tell me that the BAIAC pad was warmer than the Thermarest Pro-Lite 4. I assured him it wasn't and he said sure it was, "it is an inch thicker and has insulation in it...".

Marta
10-16-2009, 22:27
Just came back from REI. The BA pads are on sale for an excellent price. The sales runs through Sunday. We bought a second pad. (Our first has developed a slow leak. We don't have time to deal with the leak before our trip tomorrow.) The tag says it's good to 15 degrees, which total fiction. But we've had good results putting a thin CCF pad on top of the BA, which is also what I do with my Therm-A-Rest in the winter.

FritztheCat
10-17-2009, 10:45
Absolutely love my BA air core. It takes me 15 breaths to inflate (and I'm a smoker) and with the twist nozzle, I never lose air trying to close it. Hasn't leaked on me at all and sure beats sleeping on a Thermarest on rocky ground!

darkage
10-18-2009, 01:11
Absolutely love my BA air core. It takes me 15 breaths to inflate (and I'm a smoker) and with the twist nozzle, I never lose air trying to close it. Hasn't leaked on me at all and sure beats sleeping on a Thermarest on rocky ground!

Same goes here, love my BA after owning a TR ... it hasn't leaked on me yet ... i love it.

Wags
10-18-2009, 10:41
have it and love it when i'm not hammocking! i've had mine down to 20 with a torso length foam pad underneath it...

be sure to not inflate it all the way

rpenczek
10-19-2009, 09:09
Gotta say I love my BA pad, use it all winter (in Indiana) and just put a torso size closed cell foam under it when its really cold (below 20). I changed from a Prolight 4 and the BA pad is much much more comfortable.

cwayman1
10-19-2009, 12:19
ha, i had completely forgotten about this thread. But now that it's back up, I am thinking about getting a BA pad for myself. The question is... insulated or not? If uninsulated, it is kinda between either the BA Air Core or the OR Airmat 7.5. The OR is listed as 19oz. compared to the BA's 22oz uninsulated or 24oz insulated. BUT the OR is 19" wide compared to 20" wide. Any comments?

Sleeping Pad----------------Dimensions(wxlxh)------------------weight(oz.)
BA AirCore ----------------------20x72x2.5 ------------------------- 22
OR AirMat 7.5 --------------------19x72x3 -------------------------- 19
BA Insulated AirCore ------------20x72x2.5 ------------------------- 24

paintplongo
10-19-2009, 12:26
I liked mine, but they're a little heavy IMO. I've had zero problems with it in the 3 years I've had it, but recently bought a NEOAIR from Thermarest.

ShoelessWanderer
10-21-2009, 14:03

Only 15? Wow...I'm going to have to make you blow up mine for now on. Seems like it takes forever to blow up (maybe it's just my impatience). But I have to agree I LOVE mine! And have never had a problem.

Tagless
10-21-2009, 18:05
Tag-along and I each started our thru with Big A Insulated pads - which incidentally we sleep very well on. Both pads developed slow leaks. We exchanged one at no cost with the company and that eventually slow leaked as well. All problems occurred around the blow-up nozzle area.

I purchased a Therm-a-rest NeoAir in Damascus, loved it, and had no leaking problems the rest of the way.

Using a thin insulated pad (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/thinlight.html) on top of the BA pad worked great on cold nights.

Wise Old Owl
10-25-2009, 23:22

Huge,,,

Lying on cold ground can rob more energy than that of the air, example would be perhaps sleeping on permafrost or another cold object. I once saw a science object in the Franklin Institute where you put one hand on Marble and the other on a block of Wood. The Marble is colder as it moves radiated heat from your hand deep into the stone (why basements are so damn cold) Put up a vapor barrier and wood walls with insulation and the basement is no longer cold.

Same for sleeping on the pads some provide better insulation than others, the bag is compressed and provides little insulation. The pad restores the insulation from the ground.

ChinMusic
10-25-2009, 23:43
The insulated air core is, in my opinion only good to around 35 degrees. After that, youll feel the pad getting cold.
Others have stated that as well.

I've had no problem at all with my BA Insulated Air Core down to the rated 15°. I've used it below 32° tons of times.

One can always bring a 3/4 Z-Lite for additional warmth at night and as a sit pad prior to that, if you sleep cold.

If I was starting over I would get the Neo and carry the 3/4 Z-Lite. The Z-Lite would get me the additional warmth (Neo has a lower R rating) and help protect the Neo.

writeronthestorm
12-10-2010, 23:41
Sorry to resurrect this dead topic but I am currently outfitting myself for the AT and have some questions.

I have this pad and I love it. It's massively comfortable. But on the AT, every night, does it ever get old blowing it up?

My main question is this. Does it do well used on the bare ground without any floor? I am thinking about going with a tarp and sleeping on the ground, but am worried that any air pad will have durability problems... What are some of your experiences?

writeronthestorm
12-10-2010, 23:42
To clarify, I have the BA insulated air core.

ShoelessWanderer
12-10-2010, 23:52
Go with the insulated! It's really not that much more expensive and as a few others have mentioned is much more durable, more comfortable and will keep her warmer and happier.

I own both the insulated and uninsulated...I use the insulated all year...passed off the uninsulated one to the boyfriend.

buz
12-14-2010, 10:27
Writer,

The pad is fine on the ground. Just be picky about looking over your site where you are sleeping for sharp sticks, rocks, etc. They are pretty tough. For me, my insulated BA is good to 30 degrees, any colder it sucks the heat out of me. I us a ccf pad on top of it, way warmer. You could be different, temp wise.

Blissful
12-14-2010, 13:16
I used the BA insulated air core for '07 and had fitful nights. For my SOBO hike I switched to the thermarest neo air. I slept MUCh better and no blowing it up in the middle of thenight.

darkage
12-14-2010, 23:51
I used the BA insulated air core for '07 and had fitful nights. For my SOBO hike I switched to the thermarest neo air. I slept MUCh better and no blowing it up in the middle of thenight.

Same, switched and couldn't be happier. Neoair is king.

ChinMusic
12-15-2010, 00:26
I gotta re-chime in. I have the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core and the Neo. I have used both in cold weather. I like both. I now prefer the Neo, even in reasonably cold weather but it is NOT because it is warmer. It is because it is lighter, packs smaller, blows up quicker, and just feels more comfortable. If I know I'm gonna be out in temps much below 20°, I'll leave the Neo at home. Over 20 (maybe a tad below) I find the Neo with a 3/4 Z-Lite works great.

There is simply NO WAY the Neo is warmer than the Insulated Air Core. Folks that think that may be getting confused with relatively warm ground temps and cold air temps and not doing a true comparison.

I have slept on both, side by side, same conditions, in my backyard just to satisfy my curiosity. On frozen ground, for me, the Insulated Air Core is fine to its rated 15°. Much below 32° the Neo needs some help.

I tend to sleep warm so the temps I mention are just for comparison.

Blissful
12-15-2010, 15:04
I did use a thin pad from gossamer gear under my neoair for warmth (fine to low 20s). But I would not use it for winter conditions.

ChinMusic
12-15-2010, 15:51
In my backyard I did test my 0° bag with the Isulated Air Core plus 3/4 Z-Lite in temps down to near -10. The bag, along with pads, did just fine. Again, I tend to sleep warm.

I would not intentionally backpack in those conditions but it was good to know what the capabilities of my gear where in controlled (run inside if I needed to) conditions.

I have used the Neo on temps as low at 21° degrees (without extra Z-Lite) on a recent trip. The ground was NOT frozen (late fall) and the Neo did fine. Had the ground been colder is might have been a different story.

Bags4266
12-15-2010, 17:54
http://kookabay.com/

This guy will make one to the dimensions of your choice. Filled with down or synthetic. Lighter than any other Insulated air matteress. A true r-value as well, not like BA where they say good to 15*. Its a Cottage Co. not much on the web site, you need to e-mail him and let him know what you are looking for. He has different weight fabric to make it according to how hard you are on your stuff.
If you go over to backpackinglight.com its talked up there quite a lot.