PDA

View Full Version : Pack weight

mindi
06-28-2009, 19:20
I've finally gotten nearly all my stuff crammed into my pack and it's coming out around 25 pounds without food or water. I tried to go through and find stuff to ditch but I only managed to get around 3 pounds of stuff out.

Also, it looks bulky and huge on me, but I think that's just normal for me since I'm so short. Last time I took a crappy old men's pack and carried around 40 pounds..people commented all the time on how huge it looked on me. I thought a woman's pack might look a little smaller but it really doesn't.

Still working on adjusting the straps and such to get the best fit, but what a difference wearing a good pack!

Is the weight still too much? How much more weight will I be adding with water and 5 days worth of food? It feels pretty comfortable now but I'm wondering.

Frosty
06-28-2009, 19:26
You'll be fine with 25 pounds plus food/water. Not the lightest, but not a burden, either. Certainly at the lower half of the spectrum.

Plus, you can always adjust during the hike, send home or discard what you find you don't need, or buy something you didn't realize you needed.

Lone Wolf
06-28-2009, 19:29
I've finally gotten nearly all my stuff crammed into my pack and it's coming out around 25 pounds without food or water. I tried to go through and find stuff to ditch but I only managed to get around 3 pounds of stuff out.

Also, it looks bulky and huge on me, but I think that's just normal for me since I'm so short. Last time I took a crappy old men's pack and carried around 40 pounds..people commented all the time on how huge it looked on me. I thought a woman's pack might look a little smaller but it really doesn't.

Still working on adjusting the straps and such to get the best fit, but what a difference wearing a good pack!

Is the weight still too much? How much more weight will I be adding with water and 5 days worth of food? It feels pretty comfortable now but I'm wondering.
take what you got, add the food and water and go hiking. you'll figure out what you want/need after a few days of walking. do not post your gear list. the so-called experts will pick it apart. it's really very simple

mindi
06-28-2009, 19:36
Thanks, guys. I learned my lesson in '07 when I posted my gear list. I had a page of people arguing over whether or not I should take a spork :D.

Friday is my last day at work, hopefully I can get out and do a shakedown after that and see how the weight feels.

Lone Wolf
06-28-2009, 19:40
yeah don't fret. go walkin' and see what happens. i've hiked 1000s of AT miles and still carry 35-40 lbs

Blissful
06-28-2009, 19:44
Weight looks okay to me.

(I just saw you didn't want to post a gear list). The only thing is, if you say you think the weight is too much, it could hlep to post some of the more non esseentials for feedback. What pack do you have too? My Jade can get pretty full.

Blissful
06-28-2009, 19:44
yeah don't fret. go walkin' and see what happens. i've hiked 1000s of AT miles and still carry 35-40 lbs

You're also a beefy Marine.... :D

mindi
06-28-2009, 20:05
I have an Osprey Ariel 75.

I guess I just needed some reassurance that I'm running around average for pack weight..I didn't really want to eliminate any more stuff unless someone told me it was way too much.

Just last minute jitters, I suppose. I can count on you all to calm my nerves.

:)

stranger
06-28-2009, 23:50
Go hiking and when you get to your first town, send home 75% of the stuff you haven't used, with exceptions of things like rain gear, foot care, wool hat, etc... It's pretty simple, if you are not using it, you don't need it!

Keep safety in mind, always think about "40 degrees, windy, and raining" before you send anything home. Also, consider bounce boxes, send something 50 miles up the trail and see if you want it back, repeat, etc...

RockDoc
06-29-2009, 00:31
You'll be below average for pack weight. Go for it.

WalkingStick75
06-29-2009, 07:50
My pack weight without food/water is 22 pounds. If you carry a tent vs my tarp this can easily make up the difference. So your weight is good. Have fun.

Wolf - 23000
06-29-2009, 08:30

mindi,

It all depends on you. As Lone Wolf said go take a hike, you'll figure it out. There are some people that don't mind carrying a heavy pack and some that like to go ultra-light. Neither one is right for everyone. Backpacking is one of those sports that depends more on personal style and having fun than anything else.

Wolf