PDA

View Full Version : Feet questions

JustinNorris
06-28-2009, 22:48
1. Is it a good idea to bring toenail/fingernail clippers? I know theyre usually small or light, but less is more right? Are overgrown toenails a big problem for anyone out there?

2. Besides breaking your shoes in, how do you prevent blisters? If its possible...

3. Why isnt there a feet forum?

lvleph
06-28-2009, 22:56
1. Get a multi-tool with scissors.
2. If you feel a hot spot starting put duct tape on it before it becomes an issue.

garlic08
06-29-2009, 00:22
About the only "luxury" I carry is a nail clipper. I do not carry a multitool, just a single-edge razor blade, so my tool weight is negligible. I also carry a small roll of 1 1/2" uncoated athletic tape, the best thing I've found for covering a hot spot and preventing a blister. It breathes, too.

I guess this is the feet forum.

bigcranky
06-29-2009, 08:47
I carry the smallest Swiss Army Knife, and use the scissors for nail maintenance. Nail clippers would be easier, though.

max patch
06-29-2009, 09:32
1. Is it a good idea to bring toenail/fingernail clippers? ?
Absolutely.

Besides breaking your shoes in, how do you prevent blisters? If its possible...

I had zero blisters on my thru; boots broken in before starting, stop and tend to hot spots immediately, take off shoes and socks at lunch and let feet dry out.

-SEEKER-
06-29-2009, 14:35
I carry nail clippers. As far as blister prevention: If the boots have been broken in properly by actually hiking in them on trail type terrain and not around Wal-mart, the other must do is to put Body Glide on them every morning before hiking. I buy the 1.3 oz size and slice it into 3 sections then individually wrap each section in plastic wrap and put them in a zip lock bag in my first aid bag.

-SEEKER-
06-29-2009, 14:37
I carry nail clippers. As far as blister prevention: If the boots have been broken in properly by actually hiking in them on trail type terrain and not around Wal-mart, the other must do is to put Body Glide on them every morning before hiking. I buy the 1.3 oz size and slice it into 3 sections then individually wrap each section in plastic wrap and put them in a zip lock bag in my first aid bag.
:rolleyes:That would be break in the boots and put body glide on the feet!

NCYankee
06-29-2009, 14:40
2. Besides breaking your shoes in, how do you prevent blisters? If its possible...

I have gone through awful problems with my feet and blisters. Here are a couple of things that have worked really well for me:

1. Dumping the boots - I have moved to a pair of trail runners (specifically a wide pair of Solomons that fit me well and are large in the toe box).

2. Replacing the insoles - I use a pair of superfeet. My doctor told me that I have a rather flat foot and given that I am a hefty guy I prefer to protect my feet. They aren't always the most comfortable things in the world, but they feel like they hold my feet in.

3. Preventative bandaging - There are a couple of areas of my feet where I know that I am prone to get blisters. For me these are my big toes in the center and my pinky toes on the outside. What I do is put a piece of moleskin on my big toe and then hold it on there with piece of duct tape. For my pinky toes I just use the duct tape. It is much easier for me to prevent the blisters from occuring than it is to deal with them once they start

4. Air my feet out - This is one that I am working on but whenever I stop for at least 10 minutes I unlace my shoes (very easy with the quick lace set up). At the end of the day I wear a thong sandal in camp that airs my feet out. This is easily one of the best ways to reduce my foot fatigue.

5. Body glide - I use this stuff to prevent chafe on my arms, between my legs, and I even will use some on the heals of my feet. I don't know it does anything but since I started I haven't had a single blister issue.

So that is what I do. I haven't had to deal with a blister on my last 3 trips and this is coming from someone who thought his hike was over at Neels Gap because of not being able to stand on the blisters anymore.
Best of luck and hopefully this helps a little bit.

Pootz
06-29-2009, 15:07
:rolleyes:That would be break in the boots and put body glide on the feet!

I second the motion for Body glide for hot spots on feet. Gold Bond powder also works great on your feet until you develop calluses. Do not use both at the same time. Both work great on chaffing in other areas as well.

No Duct Tape on the feet.

Blissful
06-29-2009, 19:40
1. Get a multi-tool with scissors.
2. If you feel a hot spot starting put duct tape on it before it becomes an issue.

Agree.

Also, bring several pairs of socks.

Dry out your feet and insoles every stop you make. Dry feet makes for less blisters.

Also I like trail runners as they breathe and dry quickly.

gearfreak
06-29-2009, 20:20
I use something similar to Body Glide, it's called Blister Block by J&J. In the evening I rinse my feet off real well and then rub them down with Purell when they're dry. A nice dusting of Gold Bond before slipping into the bag and it's all good. Start the morning off with the Blister Block again. I also try to get some air on my feet and dry out a bit at lunch. So far, so good. :cool:

ithai
07-10-2009, 23:39
there are tiny nail clippers, which weigh nothing, and prove to be very useful

hurryinghoosier
07-11-2009, 05:48
Nail clippers are a must. Keep the nails as short as possible. Down hill is a bitch when long toe nails are pushing the toe box of your shoe. Dont leave home without them.