PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Best Places to see fireworks from the AT?

twocents
06-28-2009, 23:00
Where are the Best Places to see fireworks from the AT?

I would like to do a July 4th long-weekend hike AND would love to see fireworks FROM the trail.

Is there a town that has a fireworks display that is easy to see from the trail...or even better --- a great summit/shelter/campsite?

Any ideas?

I am based out of Atlanta but will travel for a great fireworks show!

thanks
2 cents
GA-ME '95/96

RockDoc
06-29-2009, 00:27
I don't know about fireworks, but if you can get to Monson you can often see talented bagpipers play on the 4th, on the street or in back of the Lakeshore hostel.

High Life
06-29-2009, 01:26
there's a hill somewhere in the orange turnpike area in NY
around agony grind or something where if the weather is good you can see NYC
hiked by there a couple times too hazy during the day to see anything though

RAT
06-29-2009, 02:46
Well, there is a decent show in Jonesborough TN and Johnson City has even larger ones but the only places on the AT you could see those would be the following:
Viking Mountain (firetower after Little Laurel Shelter) or the grassy bald North of Jerry (Sam's) Cabin, also should be able to see them from Big Bald and perhaps Beauty Spot on Unaka, maybe even see them from Roan summit but keep in mind that any fireworks seen from the AT would be very distant but also there would be so many people doing their own shows that you would see those closer from anywhere on the trail. I remember seeing them in the distance towards DC from the Shenandoahs in 1990 plus bunches of locals in the valley. We brought in some big awesome ones from TN (as Virginia dont sell anything big or that actually makes noise etc) and shot them all off at the motel in Front Royal and then ran in our rooms before the cops got called ! Good luck and let us know where you decide to go. Oyeah, Damascus has a fireworks show that is decent and what a place to be, ahhhh yes.

Blue Jay
06-29-2009, 10:36
Any mountain overlooking a city large enough to have fireworks. I really enjoy watching the tiny little mushrooms of color and tiny little pops. It gives a prospective of human affairs which are often inflated.

peakbagger
06-29-2009, 12:48
Not worth a drive up to the whites from Atlanta :), but the view of the fireworks in Gorham NH from Mt Hayes (which is about 3 tenths from the AT via the Mahoosuc trail) is pretty interesting as you are looking down on top of the fireworks. Of course a lot of thruhikers like to roam around town during the fireworks as its quite a local event complete with some live bands, a "tacky" carnival and carnival food.

Unfortunatey not a good weekend to try to find a place to stay in town as eventhing gets booked.

WalkingStick75
06-29-2009, 12:51
Still quite drive from Atlanta but I watched 4-5 shows from the Bears Den in Va a few years back.

Blissful
06-29-2009, 13:01
I've seen fireworks from overlooks in SNP. It was a long time ago though

Yahtzee
06-29-2009, 13:42
On the way into Manchester Ct., VT there is a long walk down a fire road. Not far from where the AT splits off is a rock outcropping favored by locals. From this pt. you can see two towns fireworks at the same time. Quite the sight.

A bit far for you, but for others worth a visit.

emerald
06-29-2009, 13:55
Thanks for starting this thread. I like the topic and many others may be interested too.

The best I may be able to offer up is Shillington's fireworks which may be nearly 20 miles distant from Shikellamy Summit. Robesonia's were closer to the AT, but I'm told they have scaled back for a variety of reasons which might include Shillington's larger display.

I ordinarily watch Robesonia's fireworks from a hill near where I live unless I work that night. It was quite a show, one year, from my employer's fire escape just as work let out.

The Greater Governor Mifflin Community Days fireworks are scheduled for launch on July 4 at 10 PM. Just look toward The Pagoda on Mt. Penn to see the show.

Hoop Time
06-29-2009, 20:36
I hear the fireworks in Harrisburg can be seen from the top of the mountain north of Clarks Ferry. A hiker I talked to last year had watched them from there when he throughed a few years ago and he was planning to hike out of Duncannon on the fourth last year to do it again. By the way, there will be fireworks July 3,4 and 5 in Harrisburg, if you happen to be passing through the Cumberland Valley. The ones on the 5th are the biggest show.

Ox97GaMe
06-29-2009, 20:48
you can see the fireworks in Gatlinburg from the shelter on Mt Leconte in the Smokies. The issue there is that Gatlinburg prides itself on being the first town to celebrate the 4th. They have a parade at midnight (3rd) and shoot off the fireworks after the parade, usually around 1am. Check with the Smoky Mtn backcountry permit office to see if the shelter has space available.

It is about 5 miles up Alum Cave trail, or you could hike the 7.5 over from Newfound Gap and the Boulavard Trail.

From Atlanta, this would be about a 4 hr drive up to the Smokies for you. Be aware that if you are coming from the Cherokee side, they are widening and repaving 441 in the park between Cherokee and Newfound Gap.

dmax
06-29-2009, 21:07
Vandeventer Shelter at Watauga Lake in TN should have some views of some small displays from the local marinas. I might check this one out next year. This year I'll be on the Roan.

Captain Blue
06-29-2009, 21:12
From the Thru Hiker's Companion

In Connecticut ...

Hang Glider View—Occasionally still used as a hang-glider launch site, the view is toward Lime Rock Park, where the late Paul Newman and other celebrities have sped their cars around a classic 1.53-mile racecourse. Hikers staying at nearby Sharon Mountain Campsite on July 4 can stroll to the viewpoint for a huge fireworks show.

modiyooch
06-29-2009, 21:57
Bear MT, NY has a view of Manhattan. There is also a view of Manhattan from a point in NJ. I'm assuming that NYC has fireworks.

sasquatch2014
06-29-2009, 22:14
Try for West Mt shelter just before Bear Mt. its about 1/2 mile or so from the AT on side trail best view of the Manhattan Skyline you can get you will be able to see everything around the NYC area except some of the stuff they send up from the NJ area.

DuctTape
06-30-2009, 23:06
From Bake Oven Knob in PA in you can see 2,3, maybe even 4 fireworks shows over the Lehigh Valley - granted most are a good 20-30 miles away. Draws a bit of a crowd but nothing crazy.

modiyooch
07-05-2009, 12:13
Try for West Mt shelter just before Bear Mt. its about 1/2 mile or so from the AT on side trail best view of the Manhattan Skyline you can get you will be able to see everything around the NYC area except some of the stuff they send up from the NJ area. did anyone view the nyc fireworks from Bear MT??

Jim Adams
07-06-2009, 11:31
They used to do the Washington DC fireworks show the week before July 4 in Harpersferry for practice. Don't know if they still do but it is spectacular viewing from the cliffs that the AT skirts across the river from town.

geek

Lone Wolf
07-06-2009, 11:34
Where are the Best Places to see fireworks from the AT?

I would like to do a July 4th long-weekend hike AND would love to see fireworks FROM the trail.

Is there a town that has a fireworks display that is easy to see from the trail...or even better --- a great summit/shelter/campsite?

Any ideas?

I am based out of Atlanta but will travel for a great fireworks show!

thanks
2 cents
GA-ME '95/96

Damascus. they set off the fireworks about 75 yards from the AT

srestrepo
07-06-2009, 11:37
i wonder if anyone has pictures of the fireworks from fire tower or trail. i tried to hike up to one locally but the girlfriend conned me out of it...

johnnybgood
07-06-2009, 18:12
This past weekend I saw fireworks from 2 nearby towns while at Little Stony Man Overlook off of the Drive in Shenandoah Natl. Park.

Later I hiked up to a spot I like to camp and watched a series of smaller personal fireworks being put off till well past 11pm

Nicksaari
07-19-2009, 17:21
yes, there are a few spots in SNP, where you can catch a glimpse of fireworks in towns. most notably, fireworks in waynesboro from the top of calf mtn, or the tractor seats. also in SNP, fireworks from elkton from atop hightop mtn.
i like camping on cedar cliffs to see the fireworks down in waynesboro and staunton! (secret spot for johnnybgood)