PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Water Gap bear encounter...

DC2.2GSR
06-28-2009, 23:46
I had quite an interesting experience last night, thought you guys might like a good story.

We hiked up the PA side of the Delaware Water Gap towards the Kirkridge Shelter and camped just north of Lunch Rocks (< 1 mile north of the the shelter) this weekend, June 27 - 28. About 8:00pm on Saturday, we were startled by a large black bear that wandered right along the trail southbound, about 20 yards max from our site. From some previous research I guessed this bear may have weight 300 lbs +, but not more. Our food was hung already and we weren't doing anything out of the ordinary, just relaxing around a fire quietly. The bear scared the hell out of us since it was so close, but we soon realized that it payed us no attention whatsoever so we relaxed. It didn't so much as look twice at us. He/she was alone, no cubs. Call it what you may, bravery or stupidity, but we actually slowly walked closer to it to take some pictures as it was digging through an old stump to find bugs. Honestly it was a very very comfortable encounter. There was not a single moment that I felt threatened or thought that we were making the bear uncomfortable. We still stayed smart and payed close attention to the bear's body language, but as I said, it showed no care in the world that we were there. The bear continued south (towards the shelter) and down the steep hill that is the 'face' of Lunch Rocks. He was gone.

However...

About 15 minutes later we were still jabbering about how cool the bear was, when another bear came from the same direction and on the same path as the first one. :eek: It was the same distance away when we noticed it even though we were scanning the trees on high alert because of being worked up by the first bear. This experience was much different. This guy was so much different looking than the first one. I would not doubt that he weighed 450 lbs + easily. His face was larger and more 'male'. The bulk on this animal was incredible. We had four people with us, but two of them were in their tents. With just me and a small female friend in view it was obvious that he did not feel threatened and came towards us. It was a step or two sideways, then a turn, sniff, head turn away, then a step towards. Another sideways look, then a half-raise on his hind legs, then another 2 steps towards. At that moment we were backed up past our fire ring and almost past our tents. My other friends both stepped out of their tents. As soon as the bear saw two more larger people, he made a very quick swinging motion with his front legs away from us and took a few quick steps and was gone.

This larger bear showed no fear of us until he was startled by the other people. He wanted what we had and was coming for it. He did not look aggressive necessarily, but I felt that he would not hesitate to become aggressive if we made the right (or wrong) move. My friend put it best... "There was a whole different feeling comin' off of that bear." It's true. I felt threatened. Not at all like the first one.

We did not sleep until about 4am. :o

I guess that aside from being a great experience overall and a fun story, this has basically just been a HUGE learning experience for me. I've now seen the personalities of bears in the wild that couldn't have been more different. I've learned that not every bear wants you dead :rolleyes:. haha. I've learned that body language is so very important, both reading the animal and showing it yourself to convey a certain message. The most valued piece of new info I've gathered is in regards to the animal's stealth. I was always under the impression that bears made crashing noises, huffed and puffed, grunted, and generally were loud as hell in the woods. WRONG. These bears were extremely silent. I could have tossed a stick or rock underhanded and each bear, but the entire time (about 10 min of 'contact' total) we didn't hear so much as a shuffle of leaves or a twig breaking. If we were looking the other way we would have easily missed the first one and not seen the second until he was close enough to touch.

Being so close to two animals that could take your life in a heartbeat if they wanted to, and having them calmly walk away was an incredible experience. The adrenaline rush was awesome! :D

Here's the first bear digging through a stump for bugs:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g290/mlyons_5871/bear.jpg

Buzz_Lightfoot
06-29-2009, 06:50
Something you will remember for a very long time. :)

Also, "Oh boy, I'm planning on doing that hike the 4th of July weekend". I'd best hike with my camera out. :-?

BL

TOW
06-29-2009, 06:58
Wow! You were very lucky indeed..........

jersey joe
06-29-2009, 09:41
Lots of bear around the DWG...Seeing a bear in the wild is indeed scary yet exciting.

Lone Wolf
06-29-2009, 09:42
...Seeing a bear in the wild is indeed scary

oh really?

High Life
06-29-2009, 09:50
they cant see very well .. i heard they stand up on their hind legs like that to get a better view

Manwich
06-29-2009, 10:16
I was at the Mohican Outdoor Center all this weekend (maybe 15 miles NoBo of kirkridge)

We saw 2 bears shortly after breakfast. Not a scary experience really, they're infinitely more afraid of us than we them.

Ridge Rat
06-29-2009, 11:06
I had a bear encounter this weekend as I was crossing over kitatinny ridge on the tuscarora trail. I scared up about 4 or 5 grouse which startled the crap out of me, then I appearently startled a bear and he took off into the woods. I saw his butt bobbing up and down and then he disappeared behind the thickets. Then as I was looking to see where it went I looked down the trail just as the first person I had seen all day popped up over the ridgeline and scared the crap out of me. I wasn't expecting to see anyone and was looking for the bear and all the sudden something huge was in front of me. Scared the crap out of me and the guy was kind of rude when I explained what happened like I was lying to him. Wierd experience but awsome at the same time.

Yahtzee
06-29-2009, 13:48
Saw my first bear from the parking lot of the Church of the Mountain Hostel in DWG. Took a few steps into the trees to make the pic seem as if it was taken far from civilization. It worked!

Buzz_Lightfoot
06-29-2009, 14:04
Lots of bear around the DWG...Seeing a bear in the wild is indeed scary yet exciting.

I still think it is just plain cool to see one. I live about 15 miles NW of the encounter that started this thread and I see them all the time. No reason to be afraid as long as you use your head.

A friend and I were fishing the other day and some half-crazed city tranplant came running up to us yelling "BEAR!!" like the world was coming to an end. I think he was a little taken aback when we didn't get all riled up and went back to what we were talking about. :)

BL

DC2.2GSR
06-29-2009, 14:28
Saw my first bear from the parking lot of the Church of the Mountain Hostel in DWG. Took a few steps into the trees to make the pic seem as if it was taken far from civilization. It worked!

really? that's right near where we parked. i figured there would probably be no bear activity down there. i don't know why i thought that but i guess there is!

it's funny that you mention the crazed 'city folk'. earlier on saturday afternoon we were on the road walk above the gap towards the shelter and as soon as we got to the first lookout (http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g290/mlyons_5871/dwg12.jpg), a family that had passed us about 20 min before was resting there looking scared. the mom nervously asked us "hey did you guys see the bear too?" we responded "no" and she instantly relaxed a bit, like she was glad it wasn't stalking her family :rolleyes:. she said about 100 yards up the trail a sow and cub had crossed in front of them so they were turning back. she and the dad looked at us like we were insane when we got excited and hurried up the trail to see it :D

people get so worked up about bears. except for the "i want your food NOW" body language of the second one we saw, i was so comfortable being around the bears. after seeing the two of them and (since i have 'bear' on the brain) spending a while last night reading and watching everything in the black bear section of bear.org (http://www.bear.org/website/) last night, i can confidently say that i will never be nervous around a bear again... except maybe at night when i can't see where it is haha

keep the stories coming guys, i love hearing 'em!

modiyooch
06-29-2009, 18:50
I saw 5 bear in one day in that section north of mohican.

High Life
06-29-2009, 19:24
in 07 seen a bear in " back packer campsite "just north of DWG , well i didn't see it until a man came to my tent scared SH@#less saying " there's a bear down there ... (me) " awesome i wanna take a picture !! ( Him)" its in our campsite " .... they didnt hang their food before they started cooking and when the bear camp to the site they left all the food that was still in their packs ... what's that ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ sound ??.. oh that the sounds of a nylon pack being dragged through tall tick infested grass..
orry ?
yarly ...
I actually wittness this thing lift a steel bear box up with both paws and try to slam it open .. an amazing sight

when the ridge runner finally came it was after dark
mama bear was gone and so was the food , the soap , toothpaste , gatoraide powders
but the packs were still in tact with only a small tear in one lid

Bearwalker
06-29-2009, 19:33
:banana I have been running into bears at the Delaware Water Gap for years. I find it to be a really cool bear sighting area. I ran into alot a couple summers ago...three in Dunfield Glen creek and two about a quarter mile from there within a couple days. I kept my distance and snapped a quick pick (no flash). Bears seem to really dig that area alot. I always keep in mind that bears are animals just like all others and can be unpredictable even though they appear pretty calm. Most all bears are pretty cool unless provoked or messed with in some way. Great encounter with nice memories! Glad you had a fun hiking trip.

stag3
06-30-2009, 10:02
I Call it what you may, bravery or stupidity, but we actually slowly walked closer to it to take some pictures as it was digging through an old stump to find bugs. Honestly it was a very very comfortable encounter. [/IMG]

I call it stupidity.

Stag3

hikingshoes
06-30-2009, 12:37
I seen my first wild bear this year also.I cross the Fontana Dam heading up the trail a hiker ask me if i seen the bear.i said no,then he said turn around and look,it was heading back into the woods.i got a pic right before it get in the woods.that made may day.

Blissful
06-30-2009, 13:15
Probably the same one I saw back in 'o7 in PA. Right in that area too. He was a cool customer.

DC2.2GSR
06-30-2009, 15:11
I call it stupidity.

Stag3

:rolleyes: ok, cool.

infinite727
06-30-2009, 20:52
i was in the DWG area this weekend as well (27-28) and camped just south of the mohican center along the trail. i had 3 seperate bear encounters over the two days. considering this was my first solo overnight trip, and my first real backpacking trip of any sort, it was quite the experience.

the first encounter on my way in was what i believed to be a cub (although it may have been a small adult). i should have been a lot more worried than i was considering i couldn't see mom anywhere.

from then on i made quite a bit more noise as i was walking.

the next encounter was a mom and cub at a much safer distance, they scurried off well before i even saw them.

finally about 2 miles from the parking area at I-80 a mom and two cubs were wanding along the trail. several people and there pets/children were on the otherside out of my view, i just made some noise so the bears knew i was there and they promptly set on there way up the hill.

quite the weekend and by far one of the most difficult hikes i have done yet. those rocks sure are something...

chances are i saw some of you there this weekend, maybe even had a chance to talk with you. i was the college kid with an head/face of overgrown/unkept hair :P