PDA

View Full Version : Weather at Big K

robertbrowder
06-29-2009, 07:03
I'm about to start my SOBO thru hike, and I see that it's supposed to raining at Big K for the next ten days. Does anyone know how bad the weather has to be before Baxter SP closes the mountain? It would suck to have to wait around for a week or more so that the weather clears and I can start my hike.

TJ aka Teej
06-29-2009, 07:57
Does anyone know how bad the weather has to be before Baxter SP closes the mountain?
Don't worry, the Mountain has never closed just because of rain.
"It is the policy of Baxter State Park to permit climbing on Katahdin as many days as possible. While Katahdin should be closed during hazardous weather conditions, it should not be closed when conditions are not truly hazardous."

peakbagger
06-29-2009, 08:09
The odds are extremely good that you can climb the mountain in the rain as long as you have the appropriate gear. Granted, you may wish you had never climbed it that day, but odds are the rangers will let you try.

The weather has been real wet of late in the area but it normally hasnt rained all day. Unfortunately if the sun comes out, it builds up thunderstorms in a few hours which should be of far greater concern as the Summit makes an ideal lightning rod and the walk along the top of the exposed plateau is not a very good place to be the highest object.

If you do try it on nasty day, bring full rain gear to cover every bit of exposed skin and make sure it has enough room to wear a layer or two of polypro or wool insulation underneath. It can be seventies degrees down at the base and the conditions can still be ideal for hypothermia once you break treeline.

If you are lucky and you do get a day with sunny breaks, head up the moutain as early as possible and try to be down below treeline before 1 PM.

rpenczek
06-29-2009, 10:17
I went up on Saturday (rain at start, thick clouds in middle, mist on top). I was wet the entire hike. The temp was about 65 at the Kstream camp ground and about 45 on top.

On the way down, we got a little sun (for the last two miles).

The sign said it was a Class II day (hikers should consider not going above tree line).

mudhead
06-29-2009, 11:34
If you are lucky and you do get a day with sunny breaks, head up the moutain as early as possible and try to be down below treeline before 1 PM.

Because the thunderstorms take a bit to brew up. Good advice.

It really is not a good place to be with lightening.

When are you starting? The weather meatheads keep waffling. If you are using NOAA, check the Caribou forecast, rather than Millinocket.

Worst case, it will be poor (rat nasty) weather. Keep the faith.