PDA

View Full Version : I'm a convert...

TFin04
06-29-2009, 11:33
Had a chance to try out my new ENO singlenest and bug net set up this weekend. It was easy and comfortable, kept me dry through a downpour and I didn't have a messy/muddy tent to pack up on the way out. I really like this system.

I am putting together a different tarp set up for it, and bought some 9/16" webbing from a mil surplus store to create my own quick straps. The metal clips were replaced with the smallest and lightest aluminum carbiners I have from my climbing rack. Overall this thing was a pleasure to use, takes up less space in my pack and weighs less than my tent set up as well. Also provided for a nice camp chair when relaxing around the fire.

I'm typically a side sleeping but this made it comfortable enough to sleep on my back all night without a problem.

Cannibal
06-29-2009, 11:34
Welcome to the dark side!

Cabin Fever
06-29-2009, 11:38
Oh man, I think I converted this weekend too.

Took a Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym out for a test drive. Initially, I slept just because I was tired. A thunderstorm then woke me up at which time I had to relieve myself. I stayed dry throughout the storm. Once I got back in, I hit the diagonal sweet spot to lay in and slept like a baby the rest of the night.

I liked the fact that the hammock took away the pressure points of laying on the ground or shelter floor. I was pleasantly pleased.

Deadeye
06-29-2009, 12:22
TFin, as long as you're experimenting, you might want to look into Nite-ize figure 9's for your tarp. I use one at each end of the ridgeline, and you can quickly get a nice, tight attachment. Works for me, YMMV.

Welcome to all the advantages of hanging.

TFin04
06-29-2009, 12:31
Thanks, I have a figure 9 in my set up. I'm a climber and have a pretty good set of rope skills I think, but the 9's are quite easy.

We were car camping this weekend, and I used a very large poly tarp (10x12). The 10' side was my ridgeline, and it left an inch or so of exposed hammock at each end (where the cord runs through). I stayed dry though. What is the typical size people use for these? I've seen the fancy tarp set ups but for my limited budget, I think I'll be going for a basic coated nylon tarp. I don't need super lightweight as my hiking/camping is usually a 5-10 mile trek into the woods, then setting up for the weekend. I'm not carrying it 1000+ miles.

I'm considering either an 8x8 tarp to string diagonal, or an 11x11 in a standard A frame with a few options of tucking the corners back for more protection. Any advice here?

Cannibal
06-29-2009, 13:20
We were car camping this weekend, and I used a very large poly tarp (10x12). The 10' side was my ridgeline, and it left an inch or so of exposed hammock at each end (where the cord runs through). I stayed dry though. What is the typical size people use for these? I've seen the fancy tarp set ups but for my limited budget, I think I'll be going for a basic coated nylon tarp. I don't need super lightweight as my hiking/camping is usually a 5-10 mile trek into the woods, then setting up for the weekend. I'm not carrying it 1000+ miles.

I'm considering either an 8x8 tarp to string diagonal, or an 11x11 in a standard A frame with a few options of tucking the corners back for more protection. Any advice here?

Sportsman's Guide 12x12. (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-tarp.aspx?a=254694)
Very tough to beat for the price if weight is not a concern.

Doctari
06-29-2009, 16:07
Welcome off the ground!

& so it begins, after the first night you are already modifying your set up (wipes away a tear) I am so proud. :p

And another one leaves the dust!!

Buzz_Lightfoot
06-29-2009, 17:33
Welcome off the ground!

& so it begins, after the first night you are already modifying your set up (wipes away a tear) I am so proud. :p

And another one leaves the dust!!

Ha. Looks like you can be proud of me as well. I just plain don't like the HH method of running the rope thru the two loops on the strap. It always seems to be too loose and just plain wont stay put until I get both ends up. I end up adjusting both ends several times until I can get a proper tension. Not only that but the loops are already showing wear from friction with the rope. (I am using the HH s-wrap tie off method.)

I bought some 'biners and am going to experiment a little this weekend. I'm thinking of running the strap thru one loop (rather than tying off to both loops) then put the 'biner thru the free end and tie off to THAT.

My only concern is if the single loop will be strong enough to hold the entire weight. Any thoughts on that?

BL

peter_pan
06-29-2009, 19:01
Great start.... It is warm now but get a great bottom insulatioin plan in effect ....Bridges and butts freeze before roads....

Pan

Blissful
06-29-2009, 19:38
My hubby used his hammock set up out west and survived rain too with his tarp. He's more confident about 2011 in ME to MA.

mkahn89
06-29-2009, 23:48
I am new convert too..
recently used my new setup on a weekend trip to hot springs. and i love it!

think i might try those figure 9's for a faster tarp setup

beakerman
06-30-2009, 14:05
Well i just can't help but jump in here...

I jsut spent my first week in a my hammock during scout summer camp. the rest of the adult leaders were sweating it out in a very large and seemingly well ventilated tent but with the way I had my tarp set up I caught the microscopic breeze that was there and was quite comfortable. At one point I actualy had to lay my sleeping bag out in the hammock and lay on top of it to keep my butt warm.

My set up is an odd one so don't laugh...I have one of those $18 WalMart travel hammocks, some polypropylene straps to tie off with, a homemade mosquito net and my favorite blue poly tarp all tied out with nylon ropes.

I looked at that sportsmans guide 12*12. Does anyone know what it weighs? I didn't see it listed.

Doctari
06-30-2009, 20:39
I THINK, not sure, lost the notes I made, & mine is HEAVILY modified, the SG 12 x 12 weighs around 3 Lbs. Modified to a MacCat type with a 13' ridgeline & 5' sides, all extra ties removed, mine now weighs 2 Lbs.

I looked at that sportsmans guide 12*12. Does anyone know what it weighs? I didn't see it listed.

Hooch
06-30-2009, 21:10
Nice to see more folks getting smart and leaving the ground to the animals. Don't forget to head over to Hammock Forums (http://www.hammockforums.net) and check things out. Lots of good avice over there.

Emptyman
07-01-2009, 11:50
I wish I could say the same thing. I think, much to this forum's dismay I'm sure, that I have converted the other way. The instability of the hammock, the need for a place to sit and read in a downpour, and perhaps mostly - the claustrophobic feeling of a hammock has sent me back to a tent. Now I roll a SMD Lunar solo - with equal weight.

Cannibal
07-01-2009, 11:52
I wish I could say the same thing. I think, much to this forum's dismay I'm sure, that I have converted the other way. The instability of the hammock, the need for a place to sit and read in a downpour, and perhaps mostly - the claustrophobic feeling of a hammock has sent me back to a tent. Now I roll a SMD Lunar solo - with equal weight.
Just a guess, but were you using a Hennessy?

beakerman
07-01-2009, 12:32

Really? I've frequently bought my hammock with me when car camping to do just what you are talking about--the sitting and reading part. The addition of the tarp would make it nice in a downpour or even the hot Texas sun.

I would think the tent would be more clautrophobic but then again I don't suffer from those types of feelings unless it's people getting that close to me...I have a personal space issue.

Oh well to each his own I guess. I'm not being critical of you I just fail to see the logical basis for your opinion...I guess that's what makes it an opinion. I will still use my tent for winter camps but in Texas, during the rest of the year you can bet your bottom dollar I'm swinging in the breeze from now on.

TinaLouise
07-26-2009, 13:37

I don't know if you ever got the answer for that weight???
I put mine on a scale, 2pounds 2.2 oz
I have added extra rope at all the tie outs and shockcord tensioners too so that's in the total weight of mine. Guessing it's only 2 pounds without my additions.

TimberHanger
07-27-2009, 14:41
I'm a convert as well. Have been testing my H all week at a State Forest near my home. Hung it several times and was very happy with the results. Although I haven't spent a full night hanging yet. I have my first hanging/camping trip planned for this coming weekend. Friday-Sunday. From all the info. I've gotten here and on HF I'm feeling very confident that it will work out fine. I'll keep you posted.

Ekul
07-27-2009, 16:19
Welcome...to off the ground. No more restless nights sleep on the ground for me either.

gunn parker
07-27-2009, 21:18
I bought some 'biners and am going to experiment a little this weekend. I'm thinking of running the strap thru one loop (rather than tying off to both loops) then put the 'biner thru the free end and tie off to THAT.

My only concern is if the single loop will be strong enough to hold the entire weight. Any thoughts on that?

BL

Hi, I don't like the Hennessy way of tieing off either. So I bring both loops in the webbing to the front and put a biner through the loops and tie off the hammock with a clove hitch and a slippery half hitch. I have been using this method for a long time now and it works a treat.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/4/9/sus3.jpg

Walking Dead
07-28-2009, 07:22
I've got one of these tarps and would love to modify it as you did. Got a picture of it?

Walking Dead
07-28-2009, 07:25
I THINK, not sure, lost the notes I made, & mine is HEAVILY modified, the SG 12 x 12 weighs around 3 Lbs. Modified to a MacCat type with a 13' ridgeline & 5' sides, all extra ties removed, mine now weighs 2 Lbs.

Sorry, my reply applied to Doctari's post about the modified SG tarp