PDA

View Full Version : 2009 NCTA Annual Conference - Valley City, ND

Lyle
06-29-2009, 13:22
Just a reminder that the "Early Bird" registration deadline is tomorrow for the NCTA Conference. Lots to see, do and learn. Special emphasis on making this conference "family friendly". Check it out.

http://www.northcountrytrail.org/srv/conference/

Download the Brochure for a great overview of the conference.

Hope to see some of you there.

ki0eh
06-29-2009, 14:53
Special emphasis on making this conference "family friendly". Check it out.

I did! Looks like a good thing.

Unfortunately, we're attending another conference this year - and even more unfortunately, they've given up on family friendly activities that other conferences of that organization have had, so we'll only be there a couple of days and not the whole week.

I hope NCTA will keep trying this for future years - we've taken out little one to 4 NCTA conferences in the past and might consider some in future if this keeps going.

(BTW, where is it going to be next year? It's the U.P./WI's turn again, right??)

Slosteppin
07-02-2009, 10:29
Just a reminder that the "Early Bird" registration deadline is tomorrow for the NCTA Conference. Lots to see, do and learn.
Hope to see some of you there.

Already registered - too many things to do... See you there.

Slosteppin

traildust
09-02-2009, 18:15
Was a report issued after the conference?

Lyle
09-02-2009, 18:44
Was a report issued after the conference?

Well, how about a nice brief summary?

The weather was generally good, some rain, but nothing to put a damper on the hikes (pun intended)

Attendance was very good. Second highest ever! Not bad for being at the extreme end of the trail.

Hikes were very interesting - I personally enjoyed a tour of the Baldhill Dam and hike along Lake Astabula. Storm held off till we were in the vehicle on the way back to Campus, then stopped again when we were ready to get out - Perfect!

I also enjoyed my visit to Fort Ransom Historic Site. Who says ND has no hills?

Got a great deal on a Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian in the Live auction, a FANTASTIC, homemade, secret recipe carrot cake in the Silent Auction - Shared the next day with my fellow SHT/Boundary Route/Kekakabic Trail packers.

Throughly enjoyed a presentation by a young couple who spent two years backpacking the length of the Andes. They were named National Geographic's Adventurers of the Year for 2008. Excellent presentation, then later went out to a local "Drinking Establishment" with them for some additional stories and insight.

Also had a tremendously inspirational speaker from "Watchable Wildlife". A truely captivating speaker! Later the same evening we were treated to the photographic skills of Obsessed Photographers Group. Local ND photography at it's finest. I also attended a workshop with these gents earlier in the Conference. They went "on with the show" immediately after their van caught fire and totally burned in the parking lot. Good Guys.

The only down side (well, besides the van above), was that the planned "Family Oriented" activities were mostly cancelled due to lack of interest. Too bad, that's an area we all need to encourage.

NCTA does put on a great conference, and they seem to get better and better each year!