PDA

View Full Version : Winter Clothing

GeneralLee10
06-29-2009, 19:40
I have looked and can't seem to get the search on here to work. So could one of you AT vets give me a ruff idea of how many days (1-35?) one will need winter gear. If they were to start around mid march or beginning of April I realize that everyone's body temp is a Lil different. Just a close idea would be nice. I also understand every years weather pattern is changing too. Thank You :)

garlic08
06-29-2009, 21:09
I started April 4 and it was cold for me for maybe five or six (very memorable) days, all at the higher elevations (over 5,000') in the South. Having started in April, I didn't really carry much winter clothing--a nice down vest, a light cap, and some glove liners, maybe 12 ounces worth. That worked fine for me, since I know I can stay warm in freezing weather in just a shirt and rain jacket as long as I'm hiking, and all my insulation stays dry for when I stop.

Doctari
06-29-2009, 21:23
I don't have a real answer for you.
Bear in mind that last year 4/29 I woke to snow on the ground at Abingdon gap shelter. Then 5/2 at Thomas Knob I had a thin layer of ice on my water bottle.

The AT hits some altitude along it's length, so if you chill easily, be prepared for some cool (winter like?) nights.

Just a thought!!

Blissful
06-30-2009, 22:56
You need cold weather gear until May. And then again in the Whites. Be prepared for anything, hot and cold and in between.