PDA

View Full Version : Dana Designs Loadmaster longbed question

rootball
06-29-2009, 19:42
I have bid on a Large Loadmaster Longbed on Ebay. I think I might get it - for a mear 107.50. No one else has bid and its almost over. What a steal. It is reported to be in near perfect condition and the pictures appear so.
Anyways - my question is this - what are the magic wands for, and how do they work - are they adjustable for a different ride? Does anyone have any experience they can tell me about the pack. I know they are highly sought after, and I've always wanted to get my hands on one.
Really cool - the last one of these I bid on got away from me at 240.00.
Thanks, Rootball.

Pacific Tortuga
06-29-2009, 19:57
There is another thread on this ebay item. Actually it's more a heads up/ buyer beware statement. Use search and check it out. Good luck

Pacific Tortuga
06-29-2009, 20:01
There is another thread on this ebay item. Actually it's more a heads up/ buyer beware statement. Use search and check it out. Good luck

Sorry :o, it's your own thread.

Franco
06-29-2009, 20:02
Strange comment...
Right now there are still two days before the end and usually bidders don't get excited till the last few minutes.
Why are you advertising that it is available on EBay if you are interested in it ?
Franco

rootball
06-29-2009, 20:42
The seller revised the listing on ebay and sent me a full description of the item. It was just a matter of bad comunication.
He finally got back to me and the decription is near perfect, lightly used. The good thing about paypal protection. Plus it's a money back listing so there should be little worry. I'm pumped.
Thanks for the heads up on that.

rootball
06-29-2009, 21:03
I thought that through -- No one one here would want that pack so I'm not worried. There was one dude, but he wants the Loadmaster Terraplane. Its not a ULA - its an EXTERNAL. And although your Ebay expertise is not in doubt, I am the only one that has bid on it. If it was not on the other side of the continent I would drive over there and buy it from the guy. I am willing to bid more if I have to-- but I doubt that will happen this time. Anyways lets wait and see. I say I am gonna get it. The last one of these that got away from me was not in nearly this good condition and it sold for 240.00. This one is mine. No worries, mate.

rootball
06-30-2009, 15:25
Franco,
Because of your comment I was prompted to study the Ebay bid system a little harder.
The last one of these packs I lost to another buyer happened at the last second. I was not at my computer and got out bid.
But....I found out that you can actually place an automatic bid. All you have to do is figure out your upper limit (desire) for an item and then place it on auto. As others bid, ebay will automatically outbid them up to your limit (on your behalf)- but it will only bid as much as needed - so that way you can still get the item and not pay your upper limit.
Pretty cool.
I am set this time.
I've always wanted one of these packs, and I'm stoked.
As for my original question about the magic wands - I have searched and found a little info, but nothing that is first hand from a backpackers perpective. I will do my best to figure out how they work when it gets here and follow up with some info and pictures.

CrumbSnatcher
06-30-2009, 15:33
whats the difference between the longbeds and the short beds? are the longbeds for taller people?

rootball
06-30-2009, 18:35
http://web.archive.org/web/20010606125116/danadesign.com/packs/loadmaster/index.htm

T1 is the shortbed- just as the name implies one is a long pack and the other is short - the short is sorta like a 3/4 pack - frames remain the same.

rootball
06-30-2009, 19:35
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/dana-design/k2-longbed/review/13686/

Every review I have found sounds similar to this one. Except this dude named his pack Crowdog. I guess after carrying it 8,000 miles it needed a name. I bet he is still using it.
Apparently they were close to 400 dollars when new. I did not even consider an external back then - I was in my dark internal frame days and bought a Dana Designs Terraplane. It was the best internal I ever had, but it lacked all the good attributes of an external.

RedneckRye
06-30-2009, 20:24
At a shop where I used to work, we had 6 or 8 of the Dana externals sitting there gathering dust for months and months and months. Marked down, discounted, not going anywhere. One afternoon we got a call from one of the production guys that was in town with the Ice-Capades or Disney On Ice or something like that. They needed any and all external frame packs that we had and someone to come down to the arena to make fit adjustments. Several hours later, Greg (one of the guys I worked with) came back with the cash money payment for the packs as well as 20 tickets for the show. They stripped the bags off of the packs and used the frames to mount the large costumes that the skaters wore. Greg even brought back a couple of the pack bags, I think he used them like duffel bags after that.

rootball
07-01-2009, 17:00
Just 9 hours and its mine -- mine -- all mine.

mudcap
07-01-2009, 18:24
Just 9 hours and its mine -- mine -- all mine.

I have 2 cases of beer and a bag of chips,will be up till that thing is mine...I have 400 bucks to spend ;)

Thanks for the link!:D

CrumbSnatcher
07-01-2009, 18:27
I have 2 cases of beer and a bag of chips,will be up till that thing is mine...I have 400 bucks to spend ;)

Thanks for the link!:D
i don't have any chips or anything but i always stay up late and i have 500.00 to spend!

rootball
07-01-2009, 18:42
I got that thing set on auto- bid and you'll never outbid me. This one is mine - so don't waste your time. Wooohooo!

mudcap
07-01-2009, 19:38
I got that thing set on auto- bid and you'll never outbid me. This one is mine - so don't waste your time. Wooohooo!
rootball,I wish you the best of luck. My post was all in fun,hence the smiley/winking emoticons. I know how it is to really *want* something...I would say do not go crazy on the bidding,but that would be nuts. I am like you ,if I want something,I go all out. Let us know how you do.

rootball
07-01-2009, 20:31
I will be up all night trying to come up with a name for my new pack - that got for 110.00 -best deal ever in the history of pack purchases.

mudcap
07-01-2009, 21:57
I will be up all night trying to come up with a name for my new pack - that got for 110.00 -best deal ever in the history of pack purchases.
http://cgi.ebay.com/DANA-DESIGN-K2-EXTERNAL-FRAME-BACKPACK-QUALITY_W0QQitemZ170348972712QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27a9970aa8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C 293%3A1%7C294%3A50

is this the one?

rootball
07-01-2009, 22:04
She's beauty aint she? I'm thinking about Ramona - how do you like that name?

rootball
07-01-2009, 22:06
Looks like the auto bid has spent 154.61 of my money. I expected that to happen - but I hope it stops soon. I want to have enough left over to buy a pack cover for it.

yaduck9
07-01-2009, 22:17
Well I don't understand.....

I see the last bidder ( at 154.61 ) has only bid once. If your on auto bid shouldn't your bid(s) be listed several times?

Are you sure your the bidder? Maybe your on here trying to stir up some interest?

Just seems a bit odd.......just my two cents.....

Nothing personal

CrumbSnatcher
07-01-2009, 22:28
She's beauty aint she? I'm thinking about Ramona - how do you like that name?
ROOTBALL, i had a yard sale this afternoon.sold my truck,the neighbors cat,and all my backpacking gear. im on whiteblaze now, so theres no more time for hiking. i decided not to bid on Ramona. goodluck i hope you win brother!!!:)

Franco
07-01-2009, 22:28
Automatic bids are not listed...
Franco

squeeze
07-01-2009, 22:37
Automatic bids are not listed...
Franco
Under Bid History you can choose to either Show or Hide automatic bids.

srestrepo
07-02-2009, 01:29
dude ramona is nice but augustina just sounds strong... good name for something that helps carry your things...

rootball
07-02-2009, 07:57
Well I don't understand.....

I see the last bidder ( at 154.61 ) has only bid once. If your on auto bid shouldn't your bid(s) be listed several times?

Are you sure your the bidder? Maybe your on here trying to stir up some interest?

Just seems a bit odd.......just my two cents.....

Nothing personal

Do you see a trend in these statements ---
----------
1. Just because I'm paranoid, does not mean they are not chasing me.
2. Humpty Dumpty did not fall, he was pushed.
3. Maybe your on here trying to stir up some interest?
----------
(The little voice in his head whispers "its a conspiracy")
Just sayin....maybe you you are over investigating something that really does not matter at all - nothing personal, xoxoxo, Rball

mudcap
07-02-2009, 09:05
Rootball,

Did you win it?

yaduck9
07-02-2009, 10:03
Do you see a trend in these statements ---
----------
1. Just because I'm paranoid, does not mean they are not chasing me.
2. Humpty Dumpty did not fall, he was pushed.
3. Maybe your on here trying to stir up some interest?
----------
(The little voice in his head whispers "its a conspiracy")
Just sayin....maybe you you are over investigating something that really does not matter at all - nothing personal, xoxoxo, Rball

a fellow pop psychologist, welcome :welcome
perhaps I am all of the above.

good luck on your bidding;)