PDA

View Full Version : New to every thing

muddyblaster
06-29-2009, 22:10
Hello my name is kyle, i am compitly new to hiking, and the appalachian trail. This past year however i had a dream. it came to me in a dream that i need to get back to my roots. so i decided i am going to hike the whole trail start to finish. i am only 17. My goal is one month after i graduate i plan on starting so June 1, 2010. I of corse know no one that hikes or any thing along those lines. so im on here asking for help. I need to know everything, i mean every EVERY thing. from what i need, were to start like excaly. I need any thing and every thing your willing to say, ill take it all. please i need the help. Thank You.

Egads
06-29-2009, 22:12
Start reading, take weekend trips, and ask direct questions

muddyblaster
06-29-2009, 22:14
what all do i need, equpment, clothing, food?

Egads
06-29-2009, 22:19
You are being lazy by asking to be spoon fed the basics. Hiking is not a lazy person's sport.

Like I said, start reading: http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=content

BTW, welcome to Whiteblaze

muddyblaster
06-29-2009, 22:20
i know im being lazy long day today.

Egads
06-29-2009, 22:22
First lesson, don't be lazy

Second lesson, it will take longer than one day

muddyblaster
06-29-2009, 22:26
Thanks for the tip, ha, i know nothing and im kidda over welmed by all the information

Lyle
06-29-2009, 22:32
Good place to start finding out about what gear you need is to check out the "Articles" section on the home page.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php

Look on the left side, under "Packing Lists". I suggest the articles by Sgt. Rock entitled "What to carry?", parts 1-5. This will give you an idea of the basics and the range of options. Once you've read those, you will be able to ask some specific questions which people can then answer for you.

As others said, plan to get out, close to home, and do some hiking. Start out with day hikes of a few miles, camp in your back yard, take an overnight hike, then work up to a long weekend or week long. The more actual experience you get the better off you'll be. Check out at an outdoor store, local Sierra Club, Trail Club, or University Outing Club. Many of those will sponsor day hikes, and may facilitate you meeting a mentor for your first couple overnight trips. Check out the Buckeye Trail Association. They do hikes in Ohio quite frequently. Lots of good people there.

http://www.buckeyetrail.org/index.html

Be sure to check out the "Events" page. Rub elbows with these folks, and they will help you out.

Have Fun!!!

muddyblaster
06-29-2009, 22:36
thank you lyle im new to every thing and today was the day i decied to start every thing, my head is spinning at the momnt information over load

Lyle
06-29-2009, 22:40
thank you lyle im new to every thing and today was the day i decied to start every thing, my head is spinning at the momnt information over load

Take your time, relax. You have PLENTY of time to learn what you need and figure it all out before next spring. It's not some strange, difficult new skill set you need to learn, just a few basic principles. The rest will come with practice. As a well-known contributor here on WB often says, "It's just walking".

muddyblaster
06-29-2009, 22:45
thats a good point. i dont have much rough train by me however there are parks south of me so ill start there. thanks for the quick tip

Cookerhiker
06-29-2009, 22:47
To add to Lyle's advice, check out also the WhiteBlazers who live near you - perhaps you can get together for some day hikes and something longer.

Join the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805859/k.BFA3/Home.htm), not just for some tips and advice which are fairly limited, but to support the Trail.

Start perusing TrailJournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com)and find a detailed journal from another young inexperienced hiker. Read what he/she did andperhaps contact them as well.

aufgahoban
06-29-2009, 22:51
Why the AT?

Lyle
06-29-2009, 22:53
my head is spinning at the momnt information over load

There's a lot of opinions here on WB, and they are sometimes vehemently argued. The reality is that there are MANY ways to accomplish the same goals.

Your goals should be good shoes to protect your feet, clothes to keep you warm, shelter for sleeping, sleeping bag, food/water and a way to prepare it, and finally a pack to carry it all in. Might add onto that a way to not get lost, but this is a pretty remote possibility on the AT. Everything discussed will fall into one of these primary categories or it is considered optional.

Apply the KISS principle and save yourself a lot of grief. Don't get bogged down in the details of whether a 6 oz rain jacket is needed instead of the 12 oz one that you already have. A 25# pack is a good goal, but ending up with a 35# pack won't spoil your hike one bit.

muddyblaster
06-29-2009, 22:55
Im not sure really, ive always grown up around them, family from south eastern kentucky, west virginia, virginia, thats were we would go 4wheeling and i fell in love with them.

bishopj
06-29-2009, 23:03
Hi Kyle welcome to whiteblaze if you want look at gear here are some site
rei.com llbean.com altrec.com and campmor.com. Campmor is a good place they a lot of good deals on stuff

:welcome

muddyblaster
06-29-2009, 23:06
aahh thank you so much bishopj

River Runner
06-29-2009, 23:12
Start with some day hikes. You won't need fancy equipment for that - plain old athletic shoes will do to start, a school backpack, a few plastic water bottles, snacks, etc. Start with short 3-4 mile ones in familiar areas & work your way up to longer ones. Be sure to let someone know where you are going, and get a map of the area. Try simple out and back or loop trails without intersecting trails to begin with.

Figure out if you even like hiking first. It is a lot different than riding a 4-wheeler. Then, read everything you can get your hands on about hiking and backpacking. Figure out what works for you by practicing.

muddyblaster
06-29-2009, 23:17
i love to hike im new hiking like this i love the outdoors dont get me wrong

JustinNorris
06-29-2009, 23:24
Dude, I'm a newbie too. There is no question I have thought of to which the answer could not be found on this very site. The people on here are also way cool and friendly.

The way I'm doing it: BASICALLY, Less is more...

start with a skeleton list...fill in the gaps.....

Good Luck

muddyblaster
06-29-2009, 23:28
not a bad plan

muddyblaster
06-29-2009, 23:30
thanks i like that plan

stranger
06-30-2009, 03:59
The only thing I would mention is that you will need quite a bit of money to completely equip yourself and thru-hike the AT.

Also, because you are a rookie you will end up replacing gear, this is a given my friend, so don't go out and spend heaps of money on gear until you "know from experience" that you need it.

Start working if you aren't already and save, save, save.

Best rule I've ever heard - "bring half the gear and twice the money"

Maddog
06-30-2009, 04:02
learn how to spell!!!

World-Wide
06-30-2009, 04:12
i know im being lazy long day today.

You sure you're not Alaskanhkr23 in disguise?? :-? W-W

JokerJersey
06-30-2009, 09:12
My advice for you to help get over the "OMG This is all so shiny and new and cool and I can't wait to do it NOW NOW NOW!" syndrome....

Put on a pair of shoes or boots, grab a couple of bottles of water, a packet of powdered Gatorade, some snacks, a bag of trail mix, and put it in your backpack that you use for school. Take some crackers, some raisins, maybe a couple of snickers, a powerbar if you want. You don't need a 3 course meal. Stick it all into a big gallon sized zip-lock. Toss in an extra pair of socks, just in case your feet get wet.

Once all that is done, drive to the nearest State Park or Forest that offers a short 4-5 mile Loop Hiking Trail. You can easily find the ones closest to you with little to no work on the internet. Go out and hike the trail.

When you've finished the trail, get back in your car, drive home, and realize you just did what you are going to be doing every single day for 4-6 months. From the time you wake up until the time you go to bed. Take a deep breath. You smell that smell coming off you? Imagine that intensified by not showering and wearing the same clothes for 4-7 days.

Now, when you wake up the next morning and go to get out of bed, feel how much your legs and feet and back hurt? Again, intensify that by 5-6 times and that's what you are going to feel like the first few weeks on the trail. After that, your body will adapt and things will start to calm down. Pain in the feet, legs, and knees though will ALWAYS be there.

Now that you've gotten at least your first real hike out of your system and you at least have somewhat of an idea of what you'll be looking forward to, go read this...

http://spiriteaglehome.com/THP%20top.html

They are the Thru-hiking Papers, one of what I consider to be the best, no nonsense, honest accounts of what you can expect before, during, and after a thru-hike. Read ALL of it. Twice. Then read the second part of it. Twice. Then have your family read it. Then you read it again.

After ALL that, after the hike, the thinking, the reading, and more thinking....then start to work on your gear list. I only say this to try to help you. A lot of people think they want to hike, but haven't hiked before, so they put on a pair of shoes, spend $1000 on equipment, get out there to the trail, walk 3 days, then realize they don't really like hiking! The main reason for that is because they liked the idea of hiking and all that goes with it. The outdoors, nature, return to a simpler lifestyle, reconnecting with whatever....but they fail to realize that while all of that is possible, hiking is just walking while carrying a weight on your back.

Do what you want though. I'm not your father. This is my advice. Take it or leave it. Always remember, no matter what any else tells you....Hike your own hike and let everyone else hike thiers.

High Life
06-30-2009, 09:19
i never really did any backpacking ( more than an over night )
before i did the AT .. my AT planning was three days long , if that .....
like Wingfoot said to me ( i know how much he's loved here so i'll quote him )
" It's just walking " .. just have a comfortable pair of shoes on
good luck !

Rockhound
06-30-2009, 09:20
Starting in June? Might want to go south bound. And contrary to what some might say. It will not cost you thousands in gear if you don't want it to. You don't need a Jet Boil. You can make a can stove or just cook with fire or even eat cold. You don't need poles. Sticks are fine or nothing at all. Thrift shops may offer some or all of the clothing you need or you may find some used clothing or other used gear for sale cheap on this site. It's up to you. Some people decide to hike and are innovative (and broke) and just use whatever is available to them. Others feel the need to spend $2,000 to $3,000 or more on all the latest greatest gear. Somewhere in the middle is probably your best bet. I'd say you should not have to spend more than $1,000 on gear and you will still be very nicely equipped. As for the trip itself again it can be a broad range. Anywhere from $1,000 to $10,000. Figure on 4-5 thousand for a great time without sacrificing and without overspending. Also Jack Tarlin will tell you all my advice is wrong. That's OK. It's just wrong for Jack. In the end we just have to decide what is right for ourselves. Enjoy your hike.

High Life
06-30-2009, 09:25
Starting in June? Might want to go south bound.

or you might want to flip flop .. for some reason i keep going to harpers ferry
although starting in july , might be a little late LOL see you all on the trail
HighLife ( harpers to ??? 2009 ) :banana

Cookerhiker
06-30-2009, 12:20
Starting in June? Might want to go south bound. And contrary to what some might say. It will not cost you thousands in gear if you don't want it to. You don't need a Jet Boil. You can make a can stove or just cook with fire or even eat cold. You don't need poles. Sticks are fine or nothing at all. Thrift shops may offer some or all of the clothing you need or you may find some used clothing or other used gear for sale cheap on this site. It's up to you. Some people decide to hike and are innovative (and broke) and just use whatever is available to them. Others feel the need to spend $2,000 to $3,000 or more on all the latest greatest gear. Somewhere in the middle is probably your best bet. I'd say you should not have to spend more than $1,000 on gear and you will still be very nicely equipped. As for the trip itself again it can be a broad range. Anywhere from $1,000 to $10,000. Figure on 4-5 thousand for a great time without sacrificing and without overspending. Also Jack Tarlin will tell you all my advice is wrong. That's OK. It's just wrong for Jack. In the end we just have to decide what is right for ourselves. Enjoy your hike.

I like a lot of your points. Re thrift shops, I might try them for:
cooking utensils
flashlight
water bottles
belt
straps
bandanas

But certainly not for most clothing - you aren't likely to find non-cotton clothes nor adequate raingear or socks, let alone cold-weather attire. Now raingear is an example of how one can spend a little or lot but I doubt thrift stores have anything decent.

And as for poles, sure, many hikers don't use them and that's fine. But for those of us who use them, they are a necessity. I'm just saying that if you need poles, don't skimp and think you can find them at a thrift store. The Maine mountains are rather unforgiving on the knees.

And since you're going to start hiking in Maine and you've never hike before, you may want to consider poles or at least have a contingency plan if the stress on your knees is too much.

Rockhound
06-30-2009, 12:34
the "contingency" plan is sticks. I consider poles the biggest of all unecessary expenses.

Blissful
06-30-2009, 13:11
Read the articles here on WB. A SOBO hike though is really tough stuff. Esp for someone new. Might really consider a NOBO hike if at all possible and you can latch onto a crowd going north. Start early and you can end in time for college if that is your preference.

And agree a 17 yr old doesn't need poles and would find them a nuisance. They have great knees. :)

Six-Six
06-30-2009, 14:21
I am just a little ahead of you on the hiking experiences, and a little older too. Having just gone through the "it's all new to me" phase and the "gear-up, wasting money buying everything" phase, I think I can qualify to give this advice:
Take a breath - take your time - don't make any major decisions until the 'overwhelmed' feeling goes away.
Read first. Read books on the AT. Read Backpacker Magazine. Read these forums. Read the trail journals.
Ask and listen. Search to see if your question has already been answered in a previous post. But, if you're stuck, go ahead and ask questions here. Find an outfitter near you and ask questions there. Listen and ponder before you act.
Try it out a little at a time. As others have mentioned, get out there and do some short hikes. Get an idea what it feels like, smells like, hurts like - what bothers you, what you like about it, how did you sleep/eat/pee? Then start buying the gear that you know from experience that you will really need (not bought because it's on sale).
Dream about doing the AT someday all you want. Don't get serious about until after you have done most of the above.
And finally, do what you really want to do, regardless of what I or anyone else here says. Hike your own hike - HYOH!
Whether you do the AT or not, go hike somewhere as often as you can. Enjoy yourself and relax - you're doing just fine.

Lone Wolf
06-30-2009, 14:31
A SOBO hike though is really tough stuff. Esp for someone new.

why do you say that? have you done a SOBO thru-hike?

mister krabs
06-30-2009, 14:45
I like a lot of your points. Re thrift shops, I might try them for:
cooking utensils
flashlight
water bottles
belt
straps
bandanas

But certainly not for most clothing - you aren't likely to find non-cotton clothes nor adequate raingear or socks, let alone cold-weather attire. Now raingear is an example of how one can spend a little or lot but I doubt thrift stores have anything decent.

My experience has been the opposite, thrift stores are great for old wool even merino and cashmere. It may have a hole chewed in it, but is just as effective for insulation. I've also picked up DWR jackets by columbia and sierra designs. If you like fleece, there's a ton of that. Mags-style poly ****s, nylon pants and shorts are easy to come by there too, I've even found zipoffs.

I've found pretty much zero gear, but almost all of my hiking clothing comes from there.

Rockhound
06-30-2009, 15:19
Read the articles here on WB. A SOBO hike though is really tough stuff. Esp for someone new. Might really consider a NOBO hike if at all possible and you can latch onto a crowd going north. Start early and you can end in time for college if that is your preference.

And agree a 17 yr old doesn't need poles and would find them a nuisance. They have great knees. :)
He is starting June 1. What group is he going to latch onto if he is going north? And finish in time for college? You're giving this newbie 90 days to complete a thru and recover before starting school? Let the kid take a year off. A completed AT thru would look good on a college aplication. And please explain why else a sobo hike is tougher. Were all dying to find out. Yes if you are a sheeple and need that group "to latch onto" or if you can't live without a hotel or hostel every 20 miles perhaps. I'll be hiking south the end of the month so please inform me why this sobo hike is going to be so much tougher.

flemdawg1
06-30-2009, 15:29
Agree w/ Mr Krabs, I've had more luck finding synthetic and wool clothes at thrift stores than anything else. You just have to dig and/or check often (biweekly-monthly).

Things I've found at thrift stores:
trekking poles,
camp chairs,
backpacks (external and internal frames),
Nalgene bottles,
mess kits,
Aluminum cookware,
Utensils (stainless, aluminum and lexan),
synthetic sleeping bags,
tents,
stuff sacks,
hydration bladders,
All kinds of clothing (syn pants and shirts, socks, syn underwear, running shorts, wool sweater, hats, Gore-Tex parkas, down vests, gloves (wool and fleece), long underwear (syn, and merino wool), fleece tops/jackets/vests)

No need to spend top$ until you know exactly what you need/want.

muddyblaster
06-30-2009, 15:59
Ive read everything you guys have posted and love it all. I guess i should say this. I have trouble spelling becasue i have dyslexla, i have strugled with it my whole life and have over came alot. Hense my plan to do this hike. to do it for my self. im not new to hiking, im new to this style of hiking, camping, out by my self, taking care of my self. If that helps i hope so. i love all of your advise. i keep reading about synthetic materls? not coton? why? i have a lot of biking clothing like leg warmer ect. stuff like that? also i have a bag i think a gift from my uncle. its a piper gear 5016B- Bugout Bag, Blk, will that work?

Lyle
06-30-2009, 16:18
Hey Kyle, congratulations on not taking too much offence at how rude some of us can be at times.

Hiking is very rewarding and can be a very therapeutic way to resolve or at least understand your own issues and concerns. It does give you plenty of time to examine things in your life that you have put on a shelf and just left there. Good chance while hiking to bring them down one at a time and examine them, see what they really mean to you. It is also a great confidence builder and a teacher of what is really important for your personal happiness.

Synthetic materials are superior for three main reasons: 1) they are generally lighter (except when comparing to down) 2) they dry quicker when they get wet 3) they generally do not sap the heat out of your body when wet like cotton will. This third reason is why the saying "cotton kills" has some merit when used in the back country.

Some of your biking gear may work for you. I was planning on taking some winter bikeing pants with me for a February hike in the Smokies as an insulating layer. Try out some of them on your practice hikes, if they work great, if not, you're no farther behind.

Regarding the pack. I looked it up online, and I would strongly recommend that you invest in a pack designed for backpacking. Travel packs like this one are a compromise. They may be comfortable for carrying from an airport to a hotel, or from your car to the plane, but carrying it for 8 or 10 hours a day, with a load will probably be taxing. But again, who's to say it can't work. I just wouldn't expect it to.

Don't forget, Have Fun!!!

HIKERJEN
06-30-2009, 16:30
Do what I'm doing- read EVERY thread on here that's applicable to you- all the thru-hiker posts, gear posts, articles about different gear needed, etc. You have almost a year to prepare, so read all you can, and take notes as you go.

Cookerhiker
06-30-2009, 16:33
the "contingency" plan is sticks. I consider poles the biggest of all unecessary expenses.

We obviously differ. I consider poles a necessity. And they're not that expensive.

Ladytrekker
06-30-2009, 16:38
Read the book "A Season on the Appalachian Trail" it chronicles the 1996 thru hikers on a format of month to month, it is a good read and has tremendous amounts of info on what to expect on your hike and from your hike. Some of the most interesting is interviewing the hikers one year later and five years later.

The one thing that really got my attention was two hikers that said they wished they had made a smoother transition back into society after being on the trail for 6 months. Their comment was that family picked them up at the end threw them in a packed car and drove several miles homes. The hikers got society overload with the sights and sounds and both got car sick and said it was to fast to soon that they should have stayed somewhere and transitioned back in at a slower pace.

Lyle
06-30-2009, 16:52
The one thing that really got my attention was two hikers that said they wished they had made a smoother transition back into society after being on the trail for 6 months.

I lucked out on this front. I finished my cross-country hike the end of May, didn't have a job. I got hired for the summer as a camp counsellor for the local Scout Camp. Perfect way to transition - still slept in a tent, showered only occasionally, lived outdoors in all weather, but could head into town on weekends. This (or something similar) would be my suggestion for those looking for an easy transition.

Egads
06-30-2009, 19:52
Muddyblaster,

It seems that quite a few of us think you should read, think about what you read, then try it out on weekend trips to test your gear and techniques, buy your gear and apparel slowly, after you decide what works for you.

Read, read, read. It helps you learn about more than just hiking.

Panzer1
06-30-2009, 22:29
Starting in June? Might want to go south bound.

I think that the black fly season is still going on during the first half of June.
They will drive you crazy.

Panzer

TD55
06-30-2009, 22:44
He is starting June 1......... why this sobo hike is going to be so much tougher.
Wet and buggy. Maybe very wet and very buggy. Also, not the best section to get trail legs.

Rockhound
06-30-2009, 23:02
Avoid some bugs and hike late Sept/Early Oct in the Whites on north? I'll take the bugs. Without Deet. Cuz that's how I roll. As for trail legs, the kid's 18, not old like some of us. He'll be fine.

Blissful
06-30-2009, 23:12
why do you say that? have you done a SOBO thru-hike?

uh...Talked to many that did as I went north in the Whites and ME and with stories about their first few weeks.

Tough terrain. No chance to alter gear for miles if one is a newbie at hiking. Bugs galore. Much less people doing it (and with a young guy who probaby likes young people to hang out with, a consideration to note. And I had a teen on a hike so I do know that part about socialization!). And the terrain hiking north in NH and ME is tough enough with 1800 miles under one's belt, south its real tough in southern ME and the Whites without the hiker legs. One doesn't have to have done it a particular way to see it's gonna be a tough journey, esp for a newbie in the north until Glencliff.

But so is going NOBO too...

Anyway, I plan to go in 2011 SOBo and I have done the trail and already KNOW it's gonna be tough...

But a 17 year old who says he knows nothing needs to be told it's a tough journey without glamorizing it.

As you once alluded to me, dear LW. :)

TD55
06-30-2009, 23:16
Avoid some bugs and hike late Sept/Early Oct in the Whites on north? I'll take the bugs. Without Deet. Cuz that's how I roll. As for trail legs, the kid's 18, not old like some of us. He'll be fine.
But, his start date is June 1. With college and all, doesn't sound like he has option of starting in Sept., Oct.

muddyblaster
07-01-2009, 00:07
as for being 17 im an inshape 17 year old, not fat or chunky. i do alot of sports so i understand pain. ive swam for 13 years, biked for 3, and rocked climbed 1 year. Like some of you have said i have a year. i plan on training every way i can, starting next monday. I love all the info you all are supling me with, it has helped aready alot. I thank you all

Cookerhiker
07-01-2009, 09:03
as for being 17 im an inshape 17 year old, not fat or chunky. i do alot of sports so i understand pain. ive swam for 13 years, biked for 3, and rocked climbed 1 year. Like some of you have said i have a year. i plan on training every way i can, starting next monday. I love all the info you all are supling me with, it has helped aready alot. I thank you all

IMO, being aerobically fit is the most important first step and it sounds like you're there as long as you keep up your sports and training. You should have a great time!

jfarrell04
07-01-2009, 09:04
Muddyblaster - here is a semi-local trail that you can try. It goes between Germantown & Franklin

http://www.metroparks.org/GetOutside/twinValleyBackpackTrail.aspx

Backpacking in Five Rivers MetroParks has arrived on the Twin Valley Trail (TVT)!
Looking for a backcountry backpacking experience that traverses many different natural habitats with rich biodiversity and wildlife? Welcome to the Twin Valley Trail.
The newest recreation experience in Five Rivers MetroParks combines the existing network of trails in Germantown and Twin Creek MetroParks with a connection to create a longer, more intergrated trail system.
Set in the rolling hills of the Twin Valley, it provides a backpacking experience reminiscent of backcountry wilderness trails with beautiful hills, babbling brooks, abundant wildlife, history and small town charm.
Secluded camping opportunities are sprinkled throughout this 22 mile trail that connects Germantown (http://www.metroparks.org/Parks/Germantown/Home.aspx) and Twin Creek MetroPark (http://www.metroparks.org/Parks/TwinCreek/Home.aspx). Group and secluded backcountry camping will allow everyone to experience the wilds of the Twin Valley and this rural corner of Montgomery County like never before.

Rockhound
07-01-2009, 10:20
But, his start date is June 1. With college and all, doesn't sound like he has option of starting in Sept., Oct.
I suggested sobo because of his start date June 1st. going north will put him in some tough conditions from the whites north weatherwise, as well as being far behind the majority of NOBOs. whereas hiking south June 1st will give him plenty of company (NOBOs finishing and SOBOs starting) He's going to be 18 and in shape. That tough terrain and trail legs argument going south is just for snivilers. As for bugs, let him get a bug net. If he is starting June 1st and wants to go end to end SOBO is the way to go. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. (even if it's wrong)

Alli
07-01-2009, 15:29
Welcome to WB fellow Ohioan! Just read everything you can and hike as much as possible. When you graduate to overnighters, I recommend Zaleski. I went there last weekend and it was very nice. 2 hours drive from you I think.

rootball
07-01-2009, 21:24
Hiking is not a lazy person's sport.

Correction - I'm a hiker and I'm lazy as hell. Aint no sport in it, its just walkin'.

River Runner
07-01-2009, 23:37
Correction - I'm a hiker and I'm lazy as hell. Aint no sport in it, its just walkin'.

I cannot imagine anyone REALLY lazy hiking a substantial section of the Appalachian Trail.

Well - a lazy hiker could hike the 'width' of the AT. <grin>

Feral Bill
07-03-2009, 01:13
See your local library for some backpacking how to books. I like The Complete Walker IV, By Colin Fletcher and Chip Rawlings, and Advanced Backpacking by Chris Townsend. There are many others with various points of view.

You say you are dislexic. If reading these is hard, ask your teachers at school for help. Maybe you can make your reading/research into a project for class.

Good luck and have fun.

FB

ShelterLeopard
07-03-2009, 01:25
For one thing, Egads is right- don't ask us to spoon-feed you. Go do research, then come back and ask questions about things you don't understand and detail things. Second, you don't just have a revelation that you want to hike the whole trail, then head out to Georgia after never having hiked at all- that's why only 1/4 of the people who start at Springer Mountain make it to Harpers Ferry in West Virginia (the mental halfway point). Go do a couple two day hikes, then go do a two week hike, and make sure you don't hate it. The two week hike is a shake down- it is the best way to figure out how to do everything and if all your gear works. Now go do research and come back later.

Egads
07-03-2009, 09:14

Let's go hiking together, then decide if a lazy person can keep up for a day.

Nean
07-03-2009, 13:40
I started with my left, then followed with my right.:) That worked so well I did it again.:eek: Long story short- it feels almost natural now!:banana

Seriously though, I'd consider SOBO. NOBOs starting in JUNE are few and far between. My first hike- with extremely little experience or research was SOBO and I thought-- this is easy- this is FUN! Next thing ya know I'm strung out on endorphins. :D Those first few days are about as flat as it gets on the AT. As for Katahdin- cake. Adrenaline floated me up there in a couple of hours -and didn't wear off 'till Vermont! I credit Maine for getting me hooked on backpacking.:sun The trail just seems to get easier going south too.;) There will be plenty of company and you'll only meet the herds- not get caught in one.:p

:welcome to W B !

mac attack
07-03-2009, 21:13
nean - thanks for your positivity! bunches of smilie faces aside, you help reassure me that its just walking, and I can do this. thanks for your unintended motivation!

Cookerhiker
07-03-2009, 21:23
You are being lazy by asking to be spoon fed the basics. Hiking is not a lazy person's sport.

Like I said, start reading: http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=content

BTW, welcome to Whiteblaze

I cannot imagine anyone REALLY lazy hiking a substantial section of the Appalachian Trail.

Well - a lazy hiker could hike the 'width' of the AT. <grin>

Let's go hiking together, then decide if a lazy person can keep up for a day.

I guess there's physical laziness vs. mental laziness. Before retiring, I noted people at my job over the years who worked hard to get out of working - they were some kind of lazy.

DapperD
07-03-2009, 21:49
Hello my name is kyle, i am compitly new to hiking, and the appalachian trail. This past year however i had a dream. it came to me in a dream that i need to get back to my roots. so i decided i am going to hike the whole trail start to finish. i am only 17. My goal is one month after i graduate i plan on starting so June 1, 2010. I of corse know no one that hikes or any thing along those lines. so im on here asking for help. I need to know everything, i mean every EVERY thing. from what i need, were to start like excaly. I need any thing and every thing your willing to say, ill take it all. please i need the help. Thank You.I just want to say that I have never through hiked. I had been planning for a long time to hike the AT and was never able to. I recently acquired all the gear I need, and was planning to go this year, but that fell through. I think what you need to do most is educate yourself about hiking the trail, by reading whatever you can about hiking it, and what that actually entails. One thing is you are young, which is definitly a plus, as you are going to need plenty of energy. If you are in good shape, even better. You don't really state that you are going to "thru-hike" the trail, but that you will hike the trail, "start to finish". The most important factor in determining if you will do this will be your desire. Alot of people, young and old, set out to do it and they simply decide after a period of time that they just don't want to continue. Another thing you want to do(and some will say this is not as important) is to purchase good quality gear, but lightweight. You don't want to purchase gear that, maybe on sale or inexpensive, winds up weighing so much as to wear a person out in the first ten miles. Good gear is not cheap, but I feel this is where you really do not want heavy items. Also make sure you have enough funds saved as to rely on no one but yourself. It costs a decent amount of money to hike, if you plan a "thru-hike" you will need it. I recommend reading "The AT- How to Prepare for and Hike It" by Jan Curran, an excellent book that will help you get a good idea of the effort and sacrifices one must make in order for success.And if you plan to not start until June, I think you will need to head from Maine Southbound, if you do intend to "thru-hike".

Safari
07-03-2009, 22:17
You need to seek 'Yogi-Won', he is the master of all things hiking related on the AT, only he can take you from a greenhorn and transform you into the greatest thru hiker the world has ever seen... :eek:..you will start in the 1000 mile wilderness filtering water through your boxers and turning dead skin and belly button lint into an ultra light backpack, you must learn the ways of the forest, grow a beard (even if you are a shehiker) use Bill Brysons 'Walk in the Woods' as your guidebook...create the longest trail name ever and become a legend in your own eyes...:banana

muddyblaster
07-05-2009, 00:23
To you all I thank you from every part of me. to you feral bill i thank you also, you are the first person i know that knew what dyslexia is! I can read now adays, very well for that matter, i strugled from 1nd grade tell 5th grade to read. Now adays ive had the highst reading level. any ways, thank you again, just though all this i have learned alot and really helped me.

Rockhound
07-05-2009, 08:43
The only thing I would mention is that you will need quite a bit of money to completely equip yourself and thru-hike the AT.

Also, because you are a rookie you will end up replacing gear, this is a given my friend, so don't go out and spend heaps of money on gear until you "know from experience" that you need it.

Start working if you aren't already and save, save, save.

Best rule I've ever heard - "bring half the gear and twice the money"
Disagree. Very little money is needed to equip yourself for the AT. Tent or hammock, pack, sleeping bag and footwear. as for the rest he can use what he already has, improvise or go without. Sure he could go spend $2,000. Go become a gear junkie or an ultralighter, (nothing wrong with that) but it certainly is not a necessity.

Egads
07-21-2009, 21:05
Muddy,

I see that you are still visiting WhiteBlaze. What have you learned so far?

Tinker
07-21-2009, 21:25
To you all I thank you from every part of me. to you feral bill i thank you also, you are the first person i know that knew what dyslexia is! I can read now adays, very well for that matter, i strugled from 1nd grade tell 5th grade to read. Now adays ive had the highst reading level. any ways, thank you again, just though all this i have learned alot and really helped me.

I've got the dreaded dyslexia as well. Typing, sometimes the wrong hand (it just happened) gets the message to type the letter (for instance: I often get my k and d or my j and f (happened again) mixed up.
I can say this with all seriousness, though, master the English language and you'll look like a real scholar when you communicate (speaking or typing). A lot of people take English for granted and figure they know it "well enough" to get by. My friend, first impressions, (unfortunately, in too many cases) are long lasting. Finish your school and work hard on communicating in your own language, and you'll probably have no problem finding a good job (if that's your goal) when you finish your thruhike.
Until then, keep reading here for ideas on camping and hiking basics, and check out www.backpackinglight.com (http://www.backpackinglight.com) for ultralight gear and hiking methods.
Good luck and happy hiking (do lots of it before your thruhike and you'll have a good idea of what works and doesn't (without having to take other folks' word for it).

sleegunn
07-21-2009, 21:34
Muddyblaster - welcome! I am quite new to the site but not to hiking. I wish you the best with the planning and execution of your hike and I hope your enthusiasm never wanes.

muddyblaster
07-21-2009, 22:09
what have i learned, in my eyes, alot, first off synthetic mertarls take up less room in a pack, my swim trunks (jammers) there like comprstion shorts, however they dry very quikly, and repel water. newbalnce shoes work very well in my opion.

ShelterLeopard
07-22-2009, 09:21
Newbalance? Again, you need to actually try hiking literally in your own shoes. Trail runners work for a lot of people, but not everyone- not enough support for one thing. Try to find a rocky area to hike so you can run a real test. And seriously- really you need to go do a hiking shakedown. I don't know if you've done that yet, but don't spend much money until you do. And if you end up SoBo, I may see you next year! Good luck.

muddyblaster
07-22-2009, 14:13
they are a really tough shoe, and i have been out hiking, i was in kentuky this past weekend and did a lot of hiking, (south eastern) and i havent spent a dime yet. ive got alot of what i need clothes so its going good.

Egads
07-22-2009, 17:55
what have i learned, in my eyes, alot, first off synthetic mertarls take up less room in a pack, my swim trunks (jammers) there like comprstion shorts, however they dry very quikly, and repel water. newbalnce shoes work very well in my opion.

I have to disagree with you; synthetic bags take up more space than down bags do.

ShelterLeopard
07-22-2009, 18:03
I have to disagree with you; synthetic bags take up more space than down bags do.

Whoa yeah they do- some synthetic bags take up twice the space. I was all for synthetic until I discovered the size and weight (and comfort, and etc...) of the down! As long as you keep it dry, it works beautifully!

Mags
07-22-2009, 18:19
I wrote this primer for beginners. A quick and dirty way to get into backpacking. Even has a section on budget gear:

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/Backpacking-A-Beginners-Primer.html

After reading the above (or similar source), go out and HIKE. Then hike some more. And then do some more hiking.

I did my first (mistake prone) backpacking trip in 1996 (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Outdoor-Writings/first_bp.html). I loved it and went backpacking all summer.

A year later I did the Long Trail in Vermont.

In 1998 I did the AT.

If a schmoe like me can go from rook amateur to hiking a 300 mile long trail in 1 yr, I am sure you can, too. :)

Good luck! Most all? HAVE FUN!

David@whiteblaze
07-23-2009, 00:04
you know what muddyblaster? i am 14 and already planning details for my thru-hike, i started about a week and one day ago when i went to shenandoah national park and hiked about a quarter mile on the A.T. What i would suggest you do, if you feel like if you don't dig right in, you will lose most of your interest and motivation, buy a backpack, tent, and stove, then weekend it as often as possible. when it comes time to decide to go or not, use your investment as support to go.

muddyblaster
07-23-2009, 12:17
i didnt mean bags, sorry for the confustion, i ment clothing. However thanks for the tip on the sythetic bags however.

Ladytrekker
07-23-2009, 12:31
Hello my name is kyle, i am compitly new to hiking, and the appalachian trail. This past year however i had a dream. it came to me in a dream that i need to get back to my roots. so i decided i am going to hike the whole trail start to finish. i am only 17. My goal is one month after i graduate i plan on starting so June 1, 2010. I of corse know no one that hikes or any thing along those lines. so im on here asking for help. I need to know everything, i mean every EVERY thing. from what i need, were to start like excaly. I need any thing and every thing your willing to say, ill take it all. please i need the help. Thank You.

Read "A Season on Trail" about the 1996 thru hikers fun to read and lots of insight as to what to expect. However, reading and experiencing is not even in the same ball park. I know I have read the book and am dying to hike the trail. Doing a section next year am quite anxious though. I am training on the FT so I don't have the mountains just a few small hills. but at least I am hiking.

Ladytrekker
07-23-2009, 12:39

I have another comment just read this forum, check it everyday, there is tremendous knowledge on this website, read trailjournals.com. I am also so obsessed with wanting to get on the AT I have to feed my obsession at whats going on everyday. And some of the threads give me a good laugh each day. The best thing I have picked up is equipment tips, I thought I needed state of the art everything, one thing I wanted luxury was sleeping so I got a neo air but for water it is a bandana and aquamira. I think in the mountains I may not worry so much about water, but in Florida yuck, I hike along the Suwannee and it has stuff in it, so I purify with tablets or drops. The knowledge on this website has taught me to use my instinct but I have also found that some shakedown hikes to test gear is a valuable lesson don't carry what you don't need and I have surprised myself by how much I can do without. Good Luck....

ShelterLeopard
07-23-2009, 16:24
you know what muddyblaster? i am 14 and already planning details for my thru-hike, i started about a week and one day ago when i went to shenandoah national park and hiked about a quarter mile on the A.T. What i would suggest you do, if you feel like if you don't dig right in, you will lose most of your interest and motivation, buy a backpack, tent, and stove, then weekend it as often as possible. when it comes time to decide to go or not, use your investment as support to go.

Just out of curiosity, is this 1/4 mile of shenandoah the only "hiking" you've ever done?

rugged shark
09-28-2009, 00:57
Hey Kyle,

I'll use your Q to post this equipment list - what to bring - that I think will help all the 2010 hikers. I just completed the trail on 9/20 and thought that a list of items that "made it all the way" would be a great benefit for the class of 2010. I was searching for something like this when I started. Don't go out there with junk or with junk you won't need. I listed all the things in my pack so if it is not here - most thru hikers would agree - you probably don't need it.

In addition to this I would contact the folks at Mountain Crossing (Neels Gap GA) who are experts and right on the trail.

Wear - 1 pair zip off synthetic pants. 1 high sweat absorption shirt (long or short per season). hiking socks. sorry, no underwear and if there is netting in the pants I would cut it out. No cotton.

clothing bag (waterproof)-camp/bed clothes- 1 pair zip off synthetic pants, synthetic long sleeve t - shirt. No matter how cold or dirty your hiking clothes get always keep you bed clothes dry and clean (never hike in them unless very unusual circumstances). Fleece pull over (pillow/bed clothes or garment while hiking). 1 pair Xtra socks. 1 Nylon windbreaker (rain gear). Synthetic long johns and shirt for winter (Mar - May, Aug- Sep)

Cooking - alcohol stove which fits into Titanium pot w/lid. Alcohol - a few tbl spoons per meal. Wind guard for stove. 1" sq pot scubber/sponge. Titanium spork.

Tent - MSR Hubba 1 (or similar). Tyvek ground cover (or painter plastic)

Water - Katadyn water bottle filter. Tincture of Iodine. 16 oz Gatorade bottle. Read "98.6 degrees - the Art of Keeping your Ass Alive" to understand the iodine use/risks. (There are other ways to do the water purification - but this is simple, quick and light). 1 liter collapsable water container for camp (eve's and morning water)

Air Matress - at least 2" thick for use in shelters (use the tent ground cloth under the matress to protect it when in a shelter)

LED Headlamp or Flashlight (small and light but dependable)

Duct tape 10' wrapped around something - use on feet when hot spots start (before blisters form) Duct tape will stay on a couple of days but don't let the skin go bad under it. Also use for repairing things.

Waterproof cover for back pack

Stainless folding knife - 3" or so for various uses

Personal Items should include - vaseline for feet (coat feet when they will get wet or your socks are wet also a fire starter) the lip balm tube will last from town stop to town stop. Butane lighter (see through so you know how much fuel is left). First aid kit including some band aids, asprin, tums (help w/ the runs) and daily multiple vitamins. log book, SPOT, Camera (as you see fit etc.)

sleeping bag in waterproof bag - 20 degree (ratings vary from US to Europe so make sure you can SLEEP at 20 degrees.

Camp shoes - Frisky (brand name) or Croc's

Large zip lock for garbage - stored in waterproof (airtight) food bag

several Extra zip locks for various needs

Wallet is a zip lock in your pocket.

50' bear line - get some at an outfitter so the line does not absorb water (weight)

Food - you can get some good foods right from the store. Knorr side dishes mixed w/ tuna or salmon packages are a staple. there are about 10 varieties. Cheeses, gorp, bagels, peanut butter, candy bars, summer sausage, cold cuts, snack bars are common items. my favorite camp breakfast was Frito's w/ cream cheese. Mountain House meals are great but some folks balk at the expense. Other freeze dried meals for camping. some of these items store less well in summer, but generally I saw them all through the hike.

The last item to buy is the back pack which will be based in size on what you choose above.

OK - some advice -

I would buy the Appalachain pages and break it into sections. Maps didn't appear in my list because most thru hikers don't carry them (paper = heavy).

Hike you own hike! Listen to your body and rest (take a zero) if you need it. Don't get caught up in the parties too much (it gets more expensive as you go north) and try to remain a white blazer - otherwise the whole thing might loose its meaning and you'll drop out. Take care of your feet (dry and clean before parking them in the sleeping bag). Listen to nature - keep your feet and yourself dry if can (duck out of T showers and find shelter when it will rain all day) - wet feet get torn up - make miles when the sun shines. Try to keep yourself comfortable. It's about hiking and making miles - so do some training with a back pack. The hardest part of the trail is - it is VERY LONG. No section will beat you, but if you spend yourself the trail will grind you down. We all agreed while discussing it in Monson ME, the trail will beat you up, but will let you pass. However, if you are determined to "kill" yourself, the trail will oblige. Learn to start a campfire and start one when you want to - dry out clothes, smoke bath, camp comfort. Have fun!! You'll really want some of those Mountain House meals in NH and ME when you body is very spent and your appetite is huge.

The AT is so awesome - but even more so when you become a thru hiker (make it all the way). I hope this helps you and the rest of the Class of 2010 succeed!

Rugged Shark

Blissful
09-28-2009, 13:12
Great post Rugged Shark - certain it will help 2010 - and congratulations on your hike!

Mags
09-28-2009, 13:23
I wrote this a couple of weeks ago. It is quick, it is simple and may help you (or anyone) get started:

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/A-Quicky-and-Dirty-Guide-to-the-Appalachian-Trail.html

DapperD
09-28-2009, 20:15
Hey Kyle,

I'll use your Q to post this equipment list - what to bring - that I think will help all the 2010 hikers. I just completed the trail on 9/20 and thought that a list of items that "made it all the way" would be a great benefit for the class of 2010. I was searching for something like this when I started. Don't go out there with junk or with junk you won't need. I listed all the things in my pack so if it is not here - most thru hikers would agree - you probably don't need it.

In addition to this I would contact the folks at Mountain Crossing (Neels Gap GA) who are experts and right on the trail.

Wear - 1 pair zip off synthetic pants. 1 high sweat absorption shirt (long or short per season). hiking socks. sorry, no underwear and if there is netting in the pants I would cut it out. No cotton.

clothing bag (waterproof)-camp/bed clothes- 1 pair zip off synthetic pants, synthetic long sleeve t - shirt. No matter how cold or dirty your hiking clothes get always keep you bed clothes dry and clean (never hike in them unless very unusual circumstances). Fleece pull over (pillow/bed clothes or garment while hiking). 1 pair Xtra socks. 1 Nylon windbreaker (rain gear). Synthetic long johns and shirt for winter (Mar - May, Aug- Sep)

Cooking - alcohol stove which fits into Titanium pot w/lid. Alcohol - a few tbl spoons per meal. Wind guard for stove. 1" sq pot scubber/sponge. Titanium spork.

Water - Katadyn water bottle filter. Tincture of Iodine. 16 oz Gatorade bottle. Read "98.6 degrees - the Art of Keeping your Ass Alive" to understand the iodine use/risks. (There are other ways to do the water purification - but this is simple, quick and light). 1 liter collapsable water container for camp (eve's and morning water)

Air Matress - at least 2" thick for use in shelters (use the tent ground cloth under the matress to protect it when in a shelter)

Duct tape 10' wrapped around something - use on feet when hot spots start (before blisters form) Duct tape will stay on a couple of days but don't let the skin go bad under it. Also use for repairing things.

Personal Items should include - vaseline for feet (coat feet when they will get wet or your socks are wet also a fire starter) the lip balm tube will last from town stop to town stop. Butane lighter (see through so you know how much fuel is left). First aid kit including some band aids, asprin, tums (help w/ the runs) and daily multiple vitamins. log book, SPOT, Camera (as you see fit etc.)

sleeping bag in waterproof bag - 20 degree (ratings vary from US to Europe so make sure you can SLEEP at 20 degrees.

50' bear line - get some at an outfitter so the line does not absorb water (weight)

Food - you can get some good foods right from the store. Knorr side dishes mixed w/ tuna or salmon packages are a staple. there are about 10 varieties. Cheeses, gorp, bagels, peanut butter, candy bars, summer sausage, cold cuts, snack bars are common items. my favorite camp breakfast was Frito's w/ cream cheese. Mountain House meals are great but some folks balk at the expense. Other freeze dried meals for camping. some of these items store less well in summer, but generally I saw them all through the hike.

The last item to buy is the back pack which will be based in size on what you choose above.

OK - some advice -

I would buy the Appalachain pages and break it into sections. Maps didn't appear in my list because most thru hikers don't carry them (paper = heavy).

Hike you own hike! Listen to your body and rest (take a zero) if you need it. Don't get caught up in the parties too much (it gets more expensive as you go north) and try to remain a white blazer - otherwise the whole thing might loose its meaning and you'll drop out. Take care of your feet (dry and clean before parking them in the sleeping bag). Listen to nature - keep your feet and yourself dry if can (duck out of T showers and find shelter when it will rain all day) - wet feet get torn up - make miles when the sun shines. Try to keep yourself comfortable. It's about hiking and making miles - so do some training with a back pack. The hardest part of the trail is - it is VERY LONG. No section will beat you, but if you spend yourself the trail will grind you down. We all agreed while discussing it in Monson ME, the trail will beat you up, but will let you pass. However, if you are determined to "kill" yourself, the trail will oblige. Learn to start a campfire and start one when you want to - dry out clothes, smoke bath, camp comfort. Have fun!! You'll really want some of those Mountain House meals in NH and ME when you body is very spent and your appetite is huge.

The AT is so awesome - but even more so when you become a thru hiker (make it all the way). I hope this helps you and the rest of the Class of 2010 succeed!

Rugged SharkI thought this was a great response filled with wisdom, written by someone who has just successfully completed their own thru-hike. These are the type of posts I believe help everyone in planning their own thru-hikes, that I for one love to read. Thanks!

ralph reed
09-28-2009, 21:07
Thanks for the tip, ha, i know nothing and im kidda over welmed by all the information
just grab a sack kid and get to it, nothing hard about taking along walk

i noticed you are going to start in june, you sure mean to lose some weight don't you?

muddyblaster
12-01-2009, 23:42
thank you all alot for the post and thank you rugged shark. as life goes i have learned that plans change. Im still planing on going on the trail if i can. im just unsure im looking into the marines now. Ive been training sense my last post. Ive goten up to running 8 miles (1 1/2 miles in 8 min), 70 pushups at once, 110 crunchs in 2 min. Im going to start working on humps (packed hikes) so im thinking i might try to get half or some of it done before i leave for basic. Ill keep you posted however, but im still planning on going on the hike! i havent forgot my goal. its just life and college :/

JokerJersey
12-02-2009, 09:21
Well one good thing if you do decide on going into the Marines, you'll be well-trained to do a thru-hike when you get out. Physically, you can lose the training over a couple of years, but the mental toughness you'll get out of it never, ever goes away.

Besides, when you get out of the military, you should have a decent savings added up if you're smart about it, not to mention college benefits that don't expire for 10 years...so you'd be able to get out, do your hike, then go to college for almost free.

DapperD
12-02-2009, 20:10
Well one good thing if you do decide on going into the Marines, you'll be well-trained to do a thru-hike when you get out. Physically, you can lose the training over a couple of years, but the mental toughness you'll get out of it never, ever goes away.

You do have youth on your side, but I believe you can lose a physical edge a heck of a lot faster than in two years time. Just give up training and watching your diet, like making a habit of six-packs and frequenting all-you-can-eat buffets, and you can lose an edge in probably a month's time:D.

muddyblaster
12-03-2009, 00:23
Im going to college while im in! Im rethinking a strait through hike and going as far as i can with the time i have. once im done with college im planning on going on to be an officer. ill keep you posted

Sgt Pepper
12-03-2009, 21:08
I am fairly new to this as well and I am in the equipment planning stage right now. I have a L.L. Bean microlight silicone solo tent. Will this tent suffice for a southbound trip? I cannot find anywhere on how many season tent it is, but I have never used it in snow. Please let me know if I should invest in another tent.

Dancer
12-06-2009, 12:15
Get out and try it....take it out to The Cliffs of the Neuse or Raven Rock State park so if you get cold you can get in the car and go home : )

Maddog
12-06-2009, 12:31
[quote=Mags;899722]I wrote this a couple of weeks ago. It is quick, it is simple and may help you (or anyone) get started:

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/A-Quicky-and-Dirty-Guide-to-the-Appalachian-Trail.html[/qgreat read! thanks! :D

Jan LiteShoe
12-06-2009, 12:53

Welcome. :welcomeI haven't read through the whole thread, but from what I read you've gotten some terrific advice, starting with Egads. You seemed to handle that in an affable manner.
And it's hard to top Mags' thoughtful and trail-tested essays. Most likely someone has mentioned Jim Owens' set of essays as well.

I wanted to speak to the "overwhelmed" feeling, (if you don't mind hearing the experience of an older woman - the falling away of class, age and gender boundaries is one of the most fabulous parts of the trail experience; kinship). I remember feeling that overwhelmed feeling, mostly in relation to gear.

You do get past it, and that's almost a shame, because there is a wondrous, special quality to the learning-about-it journey. Beginner's mind and all that. You'll fill your head with knowing opinions soon enough. ;)

I think if someone just "comes up with" the idea, as I did (and as it sounds you have), then "overwhelm" is a natural response. Folks that have backpacked a long time before tackling the trail have a head start on gear, and likely have some taste of the AT.

That said, everybody has to learn to push through their own inertia and conditioning; that's the main thing. How bad do you want it?
How drawn are you to being out there, as opposed to tucking the scalp of the AT under your hipbelt? IMO, the former will get you farther down the Trail, and deeper into the magic of the AT experience.

As for overwhelm, go to a Ruck and consider buying the cheapest pack you can find - something used, under $50. Start filling it with clothing and stuff and go for daily walks. Enjoy the strange looks. :eek:
Learn to adjust the straps, learn what annoys you about it, learn and relearn how to pack it with whatever you're putting in it that day. Direct experience is the best teacher, and you'll find you body starts telling you stuff about your pack, your pace, your shoes. If you don't give up, and you pay attention and adjust, you'll learn more than anyone can tell you.

Have fun! The journey IS the destination. By choosing to do a long walk, you've already started down a different path than many of your peers. And as you've seen, there are many good people on here who will help you if you show a willingness to learn and some self-motivation.

I genuinely hope you end up on Springer or Katahdin soon.
:sun

PS And be nice to the "old ladies" you find out there. They are special, and THEY ARE NOTHING LIKE YOUR MOTHER!
:)

sbhikes
12-07-2009, 11:17
Sounds like the kid is going to join the Marines instead. Here's a little advice. If they are telling you that you won't have to go to Iraq if you don't want to, that is a lie. If they tell you you can make $70K a year as an embassy guard and not go to Iraq that is also a lie. You're going to Iraq. Or Afghanistan. Hopefully you won't end up with PTSD like my nephew who believed all the lies at 17.

If you are ok with that, then the Marines will do a lot for you. At least my nephew plans to go to college. He never would have considered that without the Marines.

ShelterLeopard
12-07-2009, 11:34
I am fairly new to this as well and I am in the equipment planning stage right now. I have a L.L. Bean microlight silicone solo tent. Will this tent suffice for a southbound trip? I cannot find anywhere on how many season tent it is, but I have never used it in snow. Please let me know if I should invest in another tent.

Take a two day trip up to DWG in PA, plenty of snow there I bet (well, there's plenty here, anyway.) You should go somewhere when there is a substantial snowfall predicted (if it is possible for you), I set my tent up just in my yard the other day and got half a foot, and learned that my tent will crush me if I don't whack the sides to shake off the snow).

Looks like it might be anywhere from a 2.5 to a 3.5 (at best). Just hazarding a guess.

rugged shark
03-24-2011, 10:31
Here is an old threat that I think will help those who are packing now...
Hey Kyle,

OK - some advice -

Rugged Shark

Fats
03-24-2011, 15:23
Here is an old threat that I think will help those who are packing now...

Very good post Rugged Shark.

Keep in mind that what is important to others may not be important to you Kyle.

For instance I personally hate sporks with every fiber of my being, and have found that I am willing to carry a spoon, and a fork (lightweight of course).

Get out and find what works for you, and go with that!

Brad

rugged shark
04-02-2011, 17:37
Brad,

If you carried a full set of silverware for 2,000 miles, you certainly are worthy to fork, knife and spoon over some advice. I still have to believe, and none of my observations are contrary, it's better to spork over a small bit of good advice to the next class of Thru Hikers, than serve up a gourmet meal no one wants to carry. Like Thoreau said about farms and their inherited implements, those things are easier to attain than get rid of.