PDA

View Full Version : keep those thermarest together

brack
07-06-2004, 12:21
i have two therma-rest ridge rest pads. i would like to wake up in the morning and not wake up on the ground between the two pads. does anyone know of a solution to temporarily bind them just for a night. i have a friend joining me for the first few days of a hike. the therma-rest couplers do not work for these pads. i have thought about maybe rigging up something with velcro but i did not know if this would work. just wondering if anyone has any similar experiences. or knows of any better (as in lighter) solutions for two sharing a tent that dont mind rubbing shoulders and elbows while sleeping on a pad. thanks for your help...

brack

Jaybird
07-06-2004, 13:25
DUCT TAPE
fixes everything!

gravityman
07-06-2004, 14:27
i have two therma-rest ridge rest pads. i would like to wake up in the morning and not wake up on the ground between the two pads. does anyone know of a solution to temporarily bind them just for a night. i have a friend joining me for the first few days of a hike. the therma-rest couplers do not work for these pads. i have thought about maybe rigging up something with velcro but i did not know if this would work. just wondering if anyone has any similar experiences. or knows of any better (as in lighter) solutions for two sharing a tent that dont mind rubbing shoulders and elbows while sleeping on a pad. thanks for your help...

brack

I'm guessing that the coupler doesn't work because the pad is too wide? If that is the case, you can just make your own coupler. Just sew two pieces of material together in a figure eight. Make sure you put the stresses at the joints along the strength of the seam. Not sure how I would explain that to you...

My wife and I made a coupler that we zipper our summer bag to (a quilt). Works GREAT!

Good luck!

Gravity Man

Mags
07-06-2004, 14:32
If you are like me and have terrible sewing skills, try this:

http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/SessionId/b5d0b65e51b4b40e2598ded5b2bd414e/Action/Category_Prod/CatId/67/ProdId/1263

Pencil Pusher
07-06-2004, 19:00
Duct tape!:D

kncats
08-08-2004, 18:13
My wife and I had problems with our Thermarest mattresses sliding around on the sylnylon floor of our tent. The solution we came up with, that should work for any type of mattress, is a rubbery shelf liner material made for doing your kitchen cabinets with. It has a soft, almost sticky, consistency that grabs both the tent floor and sleeping pad very well. We use a piece 12 inches by 48 inches under each pad. I haven't bothered to weigh it since it's so light, I'd guess it to be around an ounce.

HikeLite
08-08-2004, 20:07
What about a few dabs of silicone seam sealer?

Triple A
08-09-2004, 16:53
We tried some lines of seam sealer on the floor of our Tarptent (as recommended by Henry Shire), but we still ended up sliding around. I'm going to try KNCATS solution.

Triple A