PDA

View Full Version : Vargo Ti Alcohol stove

SARdaddy
06-30-2009, 09:37
I am thinking of taking the plunge into alcohol stoves and I am eying the Vargo Ti. My back country cooking experience has always been on a MSR pocket rocket. Simple light and effective. But I need something a little lighter for day hikes and emergency needs. Looking for opinions on this stover or others. Thanks

yaduck9
06-30-2009, 09:48
Never owned one, used one. I do own a vargo cartridge stove.

Have not heard anyone really liking the vargo TI stove.

May want to check into a "Zelph" built stove, minibulldesign.com stove. or a whitebox stove.

Or make your own; do a search for "zen stoves" .

Ridge Rat
06-30-2009, 10:05
Dont forget antigravitygear.com stoves. Tin man does a good job and I am on my 3rd. I swear that guy drinks a lot of bud to make all those stoves but they work great and are perfect for minimalism.

SARdaddy
06-30-2009, 10:49
good suggestions, thanks

mere533
06-30-2009, 12:13
I have the vargo ti. it's alright, difficult to light, nearly resulting in the loss of leeman brook leanto, but it gets the job done

bulldog49
06-30-2009, 14:20
But I need something a little lighter for day hikes and emergency needs.

The difference is weight is less than "a little lighter", negligible at best.
:rolleyes:

Allen1901
06-30-2009, 14:26
Tinny at Minibull design makes the best stoves by far. If You are used to the speed of a pocket rocket, this alcohol stove comes the closest:

http://minibulldesign.com/mbdstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=32

Cheers!

SARdaddy
06-30-2009, 14:50
The difference is weight is less than "a little lighter", negligible at best.

Why do you say that? You still need to carry the canister for fuel. Are you saying that the pocket rocket weight vs. the Vargo Ti Alcohol stove are close to the same? Head scratch...

Wise Old Owl
06-30-2009, 15:38
Vargo Ti is the least liked alcy stove here at WB and on the market. Go to Youtube and MiniBull Design for more information.

Franco
06-30-2009, 21:16
There are at least three Vargo Ti alcohol stoves.
The Decagon, the Triad and the Triad XE.
Possibly the one criticised here is the Triad , a very sexy little number that did not deliver for me either...
I cannot remember exactly what the problem was with that one but about two (could be more..) years ago with a mate we tried out several commercially made stoves, including 3 from MiniBull, most had problems working with ethanol.
I had better results using some of the many versions of the Supercat stove. (about the only thing I can make..)
Franco

hikingtime
07-01-2009, 15:27
I'd go with a Pepsi can stove. You can get one for about $7 on ebay, if you don't want to make one yourself. Performance and weight are the same. Why pay $20 more for titanium?

sliderule
07-01-2009, 15:50
Why do you say that? You still need to carry the canister for fuel. Are you saying that the pocket rocket weight vs. the Vargo Ti Alcohol stove are close to the same? Head scratch...

There might be less headscratching if you would use the complete and correct nomencluture for the products to which you refer. There are at least four current Vargo stove models, one of which is butane.

DareN
07-01-2009, 19:04
I had the decagon and it was a waste of $30. I now have the Triad, and it's alright, but you need a wide pot for it since the legs are fixed. For about 3 ounces, you can't beat the Etowah Outfitters stove. It has never failed me, so I'm not worried about trying to get one in the one ounce range again.

MDhiker1967
07-01-2009, 19:24
Check out www.minibulldesign.com (http://www.minibulldesign.com)
Great compact alcohol burners...

skinewmexico
07-01-2009, 19:30
I have the Decagon, and it is, by far, the least effective of my alcohol stoves. My Etowah, White Box, Brasslite, and Supercat all work much, much better. If you have your heart set on a titanium Vargo, you can buy mine.

SARdaddy
07-01-2009, 21:47
There might be less headscratching if you would use the complete and correct nomencluture for the products to which you refer. There are at least four current Vargo stove models, one of which is butane.

Thanks there chief. I said alcohol stove.

Hooch
07-01-2009, 21:52
As far as alcohol stoves go, if you ask me, it's hard to beat a Caldera Cone or Caldera Keg from Trail Designs/AntiGravity Gear. Excellent piece of gear.

SARdaddy
07-01-2009, 21:53
Thanks for all the ideas. Not set on the Vargo ALCOHOL TI stoves I will check out the others.

Rick Hancock
07-01-2009, 22:09
Check out the WhiteBox Stove. Lightweight. simple, quick cooking. For my money it is one of the best stoves around. I have used it in fairly cold temps appx. 35 degrees with no problem. Stove can be purchased from several sources.
Rick

take-a-knee
07-01-2009, 22:21
As far as alcohol stoves go, if you ask me, it's hard to beat a Caldera Cone or Caldera Keg from Trail Designs/AntiGravity Gear. Excellent piece of gear.

Caldera Cone and an MSR Titan 0.85 kettle for me. I also like my Whitebox stove but the Caldera Cone is a tad more efficient.