PDA

View Full Version : new tent decision

alalskaman
06-30-2009, 14:22
I've been using a Tarptent squall for a while, and have been happy with it, especially with the approx. 2 lb weight. Never want to carry a heavy tent again. However, in a recent move, the tarptent was lost, and now I am tentless, except for a very heavy (5 lb 12 oz) dome tent.

My first thought was to simply replace the tarptent - perhaps with one of Henry's newer models. But on thinking it over, I'm wondering. The tarptent, for any such single-wall shelter, needs lots of ventilation because of the condensation issue. As a result, they are drafty suckers. So, to use my 32 deg sleepingbag anywhere near its rated temperature, I need to carry clothing I wouldn't wear on the trail...heavy long underwear, bed sox, etc.

So, I've been thinking about a Hilleberg Ako...roughly a pound more than my old tarptent, but being double wall, is probably a lot warmer, so I could leave the bedclothes at home and carry only what I actually wear on the trail and in camp. And have a pretty bomber tent...no splash or wind-blown rain issues. Cold, rain and wind are not unknown here in Alaska.

So, is there anything wrong with my thinking about this? Woud welcome any input from you-alls. Thanks.

Lyle
06-30-2009, 14:38
Consider a light weight bivy to use over your bag when you reach it's limits. An Equinox weighs just 6oz, but protects you from strong breezes in both a well-ventilated tent and a shelter if you choose to sleep there.

Homer&Marje
06-30-2009, 15:19
Could get an emergency Bivvy that they sell...bout $34 and very light and small. No ridge pole too it but they keep you warm and dry.

Two Tents
06-30-2009, 16:12
I love my contrail Tarptent. I think Lyle has a good solution for you with the bivy (ultra-lite of course) and you could get another Tarptent! I have a solo tent for winter use the rest of the year I use the Contrail.

FamilyGuy
06-30-2009, 16:31
I have used the Akto in some pretty horrid weather and it is remarkably stable for the weight. Huge vestibule and less condensation than my Rainbow. To answer your question specifically, it is a much warmer tent than what you have been using. In fact, my 32 degree bag is used as a quilt in temps close to freezing when using the Akto. The quality is superb and it will last many, many years of constant use. You can be rest assured that the shelter has been used at the North Pole successfully but yet is very user friendly for the weekend warrior.

skinewmexico
06-30-2009, 17:39
I was going to suggest a TiGoat bivy with the Tarptent. So if you own both an Akto and a Rainbow, how do you decide which one you're taking, by the weather anticipated?

NCYankee
06-30-2009, 18:10
I've proven to myself that I'm not a single wall kind of guy so for my solo needs I go with a Big Agnes SL1. It is just 10ozs heavier than what you have currently (you can swap the stakes and get it lighter). I have been thrilled with the tent... it is really a pleasure to sleep in and bombproof in weather.

snowhoe
06-30-2009, 18:13
I've proven to myself that I'm not a single wall kind of guy so for my solo needs I go with a Big Agnes SL1. It is just 10ozs heavier than what you have currently (you can swap the stakes and get it lighter). I have been thrilled with the tent... it is really a pleasure to sleep in and bombproof in weather.

Right on. I had the clip flash light before I got this tent and I am very pleased with the SL1. Light, tuff and its actually a good looking tent too.

FamilyGuy
07-01-2009, 01:13
I was going to suggest a TiGoat bivy with the Tarptent. So if you own both an Akto and a Rainbow, how do you decide which one you're taking, by the weather anticipated?

(and an MLD DuoMid on the way...I have problems)

Joe, I will generally use the Akto in the shoulder season months or alternatively, if I expect a lot of rain over a multi-day trek. It is really nice to just thread one pole and both the inner and outer tent pop up without getting any rain inside. The Akto is also rock solid in high winds. The low profile, but wide shape does well here.

MedicineMan
07-01-2009, 02:55
Just know this about the Akto...
you can reduce the weight by subbing out the OEM pole with a carbon fiber pole and removing all the Hilleberg bling.
it will withstand hurricaine force winds BUT that is with all lines deployed...it will withstand normal gales with less line strung out but either way you need real estate beyond what you would normally think to tie them out.
I got mine down to 2lb 5oz.
Don't forget if you get an Akto that it works killer without the inner tent and you adding a small tyvek ground sheet...or you can use just the inner tent.

lvleph
07-01-2009, 12:43
The tarp tent rainbow has an inner liner that is suppose to make it more like a double wall. You could check that out.

Red Beard
07-01-2009, 13:33
If you've got the cash, I highly recommend a Black Diamond HiLight. It's a freestanding, single-wall, 2 person tent. It weighs about 3 pounds, and has great ventilation. Once you seam-seal this sucker it does a great job of keeping you (and your gear) dry.

brooklynkayak
07-01-2009, 18:58
Consider a light weight bivy to use over your bag when you reach it's limits. An Equinox weighs just 6oz, but protects you from strong breezes in both a well-ventilated tent and a shelter if you choose to sleep there.

A net-tent also works surprisingly well at increasing warmth in well ventilated tents. Though not as warm as a bivy, they breath better than most, helping reduce condensation that can occur in a bivy. I've used the 6 moons Serenity, but there are lot out there. Mountain Laurel has a few models. They are also very light.

Jo-To
07-01-2009, 19:40
I agree with the Big Anges SL1. I just used it on my section hike thru SNP and loved it. Took about 3-5 mins to set up and even when i didnt have it staked out it was roomy and durable. Weighed in around 2.8 lbs.

Del Q
07-01-2009, 19:49
Tough one. My experience, lighter is better. Have an SL-1, Tarptent has the room and lightweight features I need. Not a whole lot of places you can save 16 ounces or so on an item. Would love to get below 30lbs with food & water.

FamilyGuy
07-01-2009, 19:58
The tarp tent rainbow has an inner liner that is suppose to make it more like a double wall. You could check that out.

I think that is for the Double only...not sure though.

FamilyGuy
07-01-2009, 19:59
If you've got the cash, I highly recommend a Black Diamond HiLight. It's a freestanding, single-wall, 2 person tent. It weighs about 3 pounds, and has great ventilation. Once you seam-seal this sucker it does a great job of keeping you (and your gear) dry.

Except that its not waterproof....

lvleph
07-02-2009, 00:10
I think that is for the Double only...not sure though.
Well, the double is nice and doesn't way a whole lot. I have it and think it is very good for when I have my wife and two dogs with me. Otherwise, I go with a poncho tarp and bivy combo.

taildragger
07-02-2009, 00:19
Just use a tarp from equinox, I can sleep plenty warm in it, and prefer it over my tarptent in non-mosquito season

Red Beard
07-02-2009, 17:13
Except that its not waterproof....

Hence, the part about seam-sealing.

Franco
07-02-2009, 19:10
The Family Guy was referring to the fabric. Epic is not that waterproof having a waterhead of about 800mm, about 50% less that the 1.1oz silnylon. I have had all night rain on my Lighthouse and stayed dry but it in a few occasions it has wetted out and started to drip (not mist) after only a few hours.
Not sure if the temperature makes any difference because at times it held rather heavy rain.
It does dry very quickly and breathes well , at least for me using it as a solo tent...
Franco

brooklynkayak
07-02-2009, 22:04
Just use a tarp from equinox, I can sleep plenty warm in it, and prefer it over my tarptent in non-mosquito season

I have to say that I agree. Learning how to pitch a tarp correctly insures a dry night. Add one of those net-tents or net-bivies for buggy times of year, many have bathtub floors that helps isolate from a bad pitch.

AlabamaDan
07-03-2009, 10:28
My buddy has a Hubba Hubba tent and I really admire how fast he sets it up. Without the ground cloth however, rain does get inside from the bottom.

AlabamaDan
07-03-2009, 10:30
Can't figure out how to edit. But I had an a-frame pup tent when I was in Jr. High that was light quick and easy to put up. They don't make those anymore and I can't find mine. Sure wish I had it back. Maybe the attic........

Franco
07-03-2009, 19:51
A word of caution here...
Often memories and reality are at odds .
When people mention how great/light/fast their 20-30 year old tent was , very rarely they do so on a side by side comparison with today's offerings .
Franco

FamilyGuy
07-03-2009, 20:07
My buddy has a Hubba Hubba tent and I really admire how fast he sets it up. Without the ground cloth however, rain does get inside from the bottom.

What exactly do you mean? Do you mean rain splashes?

AlabamaDan
07-03-2009, 21:10
A word of caution here...
Often memories and reality are at odds .
When people mention how great/light/fast their 20-30 year old tent was , very rarely they do so on a side by side comparison with today's offerings .
Franco

Maybe so.

What exactly do you mean? Do you mean rain splashes?

It was really a wet day and it just soaked up from underneath.

What do you guys know about a Tundra Dome Tent? I know a guy selling a used one?

Red Beard
07-06-2009, 09:14
The Family Guy was referring to the fabric. Epic is not that waterproof having a waterhead of about 800mm, about 50% less that the 1.1oz silnylon. I have had all night rain on my Lighthouse and stayed dry but it in a few occasions it has wetted out and started to drip (not mist) after only a few hours.
Not sure if the temperature makes any difference because at times it held rather heavy rain.
It does dry very quickly and breathes well , at least for me using it as a solo tent...
Franco

You are correct about Epic fabric not being completely waterproof. However, unless you own this tent, I'm not so sure you ought to be commenting on just how waterproof it actually is.

For starters, I always carry the ground-cloth with me. If it gets to be more than a light rain, I setup the ground-cloth in a lean-to position, and the tent is just as waterproof as any other.

Even with the ground-cloth this thing still weighs in at around 3 pounds for a 2-person tent.

Quoddy
07-06-2009, 09:55
As the owner of 3 different TarpTents (Contrail, Rainbow, and Sublite Sil), and the previous owner of an Akto, I'd say this. With the Akto I found that it was much warmer, but required being well ventilated to prevent condensation... particularly in the colder seasons. In warmer weather I could never seem to get enough ventilation, which is where the TarpTent shines. The Akto is a great shelter, and you can plan on the actual trail weight being at least 3.5 pounds.

Franco
07-06-2009, 18:40
Red Beard
"However, unless you own this tent, I'm not so sure you ought to be commenting on just how waterproof it actually is. "

Funny that you have quoted my post but failed to read it or at least comprehend it.
The Lighthouse was, with the Firstlight, the first tent on the market to use Epic. As a matter of fact I tested one of their prototypes that was made of a white Epic fabric, so yes I do know (as clearly stated in my post ) how Epic behaves.
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Scarp%201/Scarp-lighthouse.jpg

FamilyGuy
07-06-2009, 20:34
Red Beard
"However, unless you own this tent, I'm not so sure you ought to be commenting on just how waterproof it actually is. "

Funny that you have quoted my post but failed to read it or at least comprehend it.
The Lighthouse was, with the Firstlight, the first tent on the market to use Epic. As a matter of fact I tested one of their prototypes that was made of a white Epic fabric, so yes I do know (as clearly stated in my post ) how Epic behaves.
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Scarp%201/Scarp-lighthouse.jpg

That picture sure shows how much room is actually in the Scarp, which I remind all is a 1 person tent whereas the Lighthouse is a 2 person tent. Oh, and the Scarp is waterproof.

Red Beard
07-06-2009, 21:31
That picture sure shows how much room is actually in the Scarp, which I remind all is a 1 person tent whereas the Lighthouse is a 2 person tent. Oh, and the Scarp is waterproof.

So do you want a medal or something? The tent works for me.

FamilyGuy
07-06-2009, 22:14
So do you want a medal or something? The tent works for me.

A medal? Who crapped in your cow feed this mornin'?

Red Beard
07-06-2009, 22:41
A medal? Who crapped in your cow feed this mornin'?

Cow feed? Sorry, I'm not a cow, and I don't take kindly to folks calling me stupid, ie. reading comprehension problem, then trying to make me look stupid to boot. You really could have asked for clarification.

Yet, you and your partner choose throw up pictures of a tent I'm not even talking about (I realize that the lighthouse and hiLight are similar), but they aren't the same tent, no matter how much you want them to be. Oh, and just because you've "tested" a prototype of a tent, it doesn't mean squat. I've been in manufacturing long enough to know that as fab-processes change, so does the product.

You guys tried to make the point about size, but even tarptent.com states that the Scarp is a 1+ person tent. You're pretty much arguing symantics at this point. I've used my hiLight in downpours, as I described (ground cloth as a lean-to), and never got wet.

Additionally, I find the setup of the hiLight to be very simple. The only thing that weighs more (hiLight vs scarp 1) is the addition of the 5oz custom ground-cloth I use. If you tarp-tent fan-boys are happy with your gear, then great! Just don't think I'm going to applaud you two elitist pricks trying to take me for an idiot.

Tinker
07-06-2009, 22:49
I've been using a Tarptent squall for a while, and have been happy with it, especially with the approx. 2 lb weight. Never want to carry a heavy tent again. However, in a recent move, the tarptent was lost, and now I am tentless, except for a very heavy (5 lb 12 oz) dome tent.

My first thought was to simply replace the tarptent - perhaps with one of Henry's newer models. But on thinking it over, I'm wondering. The tarptent, for any such single-wall shelter, needs lots of ventilation because of the condensation issue. As a result, they are drafty suckers. So, to use my 32 deg sleepingbag anywhere near its rated temperature, I need to carry clothing I wouldn't wear on the trail...heavy long underwear, bed sox, etc.

So, I've been thinking about a Hilleberg Ako...roughly a pound more than my old tarptent, but being double wall, is probably a lot warmer, so I could leave the bedclothes at home and carry only what I actually wear on the trail and in camp. And have a pretty bomber tent...no splash or wind-blown rain issues. Cold, rain and wind are not unknown here in Alaska.

So, is there anything wrong with my thinking about this? Woud welcome any input from you-alls. Thanks.

I've owned an Akto for 4 years, and it's poorly ventilated. There are no windows in the inner tent except for the small triangular vent in the top of the door. To achieve any reasonable ventilation you must leave both the vents in the outer fly wide open as well as the vestibule door and the inner door. In that mode it's hardly bugproof, and there's still considerable condensation inside of the fly and often inside the inner tent. In the middle of the winter it can't be beat for weight and strength, but it is not very good in the other three seasons. Henry's spinoff of the Akto design may be a better tent (for less money, too, I believe).

Other stuff:

http://www.alpinlitegear.com/

I saw this at Trail Days - very interesting:

http://lightheartgear.com/faq.html

FamilyGuy
07-06-2009, 23:01
Cow feed? Sorry, I'm not a cow, and I don't take kindly to folks calling me stupid, ie. reading comprehension problem, then trying to make me look stupid to boot. You really could have asked for clarification.

Yet, you and your partner choose throw up pictures of a tent I'm not even talking about (I realize that the lighthouse and hiLight are similar), but they aren't the same tent, no matter how much you want them to be. Oh, and just because you've "tested" a prototype of a tent, it doesn't mean squat. I've been in manufacturing long enough to know that as fab-processes change, so does the product.

You guys tried to make the point about size, but even tarptent.com states that the Scarp is a 1+ person tent. You're pretty much arguing symantics at this point. I've used my hiLight in downpours, as I described (ground cloth as a lean-to), and never got wet.

Additionally, I find the setup of the hiLight to be very simple. The only thing that weighs more (hiLight vs scarp 1) is the addition of the 5oz custom ground-cloth I use. If you tarp-tent fan-boys are happy with your gear, then great! Just don't think I'm going to applaud you two elitist pricks trying to take me for an idiot.

Take you for an Idiot? No, you have done that in quite an excellent fashion yourself. Nice job.

By the way, your HiLight isn't waterproof. Do you need proof? Ask Black Diamond.

Red Beard
07-06-2009, 23:13
Take you for an Idiot? No, you have done that in quite an excellent fashion yourself. Nice job.

By the way, your HiLight isn't waterproof. Do you need proof? Ask Black Diamond.

Really? Well, if you could be so kind as to quote exactly where I wrote that "Epic fabric is 100% waterproof" I'd really appreciate it.