PDA

View Full Version : I Want Hiking Poles!!!!

srestrepo
06-30-2009, 15:34
i've looked at some of the poles on REI. i've narrowed down the field to only black diamond poles. the reason being because of that flicklock thing. i've had bad experiences with twistlock poloes that collapse for no apparent reason other than to watch me laugh as i fall in the water at race brook falls. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any input like what i should be looking for.

should i get cork/foam/rubber handles?
does anyone really care if it comes with snow baskets?
does the anti shock really make a difference?

any help is highly appreciated as i will need these poles to help me along on my first solo section hike of massachusets at the end of september!!! yay me for even trying this. thanks in advance

Pootz
06-30-2009, 15:48
I also like Black Diamond. The flicklock system works great. Bad experiences with twistlock poles.

I prefer the cork handles. They feel better in my hands

I am not a fan of anti shock and always remove the baskets. Keep the baskets in case you hike in the winter.

And last but not least, the lighter the better. You have to pick them up every step.

Good luck with your hike

flemdawg1
06-30-2009, 15:59
Have you looked into these?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10928566

These also have flick-locks, been using a pair since February. Only issue is I had to tighten up the cam screw to get them to support weight better. But it was a simple fix, 2 minutes using the cross-head screwdriver on my knife, done. I know alot of people will chime in, "ya get what you pay for" but, I honestly think these work just fine.

BigBlue
06-30-2009, 16:04
Don't like the feel of the cork handles but I do like the anti-shock spring things, they really seem to help when I climb a steep incline.

Two Tents
06-30-2009, 16:06
Good choice with Black Diamond poles. I like cork grips, others do not. Anti-shock is just too noisy for me. I don't use the snow baskets except in the snow. E- Bay usually has some poles if you are into that. Also Campmor, Sunnysports ect. not just REI.

garlic08
06-30-2009, 18:56
I tried snow baskets once and switched to trekking domes as soon as I could. The extra weight swinging at the end was no good. Also, wider ski baskets can get in the way when pole planting on steep terrain. I like the small trekking domes to keep the pole from going too far down a crack.

The springs add weight and to me it's not worth it, or the extra cost, and it's just something else to break.

The flicklocks are the best system I've seen. The screws need to be tweaked once in a while, and don't store them unlocked--I lost a screw once.

I've never tried cork handles. When they get salty from sweat, protect them from small animals--they love the salt and cork handles seem to get chewed more than rubber.

Summit
06-30-2009, 19:10
What Pootz and others said . . . I'm very, very, very happy with these:

http://www.rei.com/product/782131

BlindMoose
06-30-2009, 19:52
SunnySports does have good prices

Egads
06-30-2009, 19:54
I like one piece graphite poles.

Lone Wolf
06-30-2009, 20:20
i've looked at some of the poles on REI. i've narrowed down the field to only black diamond poles. the reason being because of that flicklock thing. i've had bad experiences with twistlock poloes that collapse for no apparent reason other than to watch me laugh as i fall in the water at race brook falls. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any input like what i should be looking for.

should i get cork/foam/rubber handles?
does anyone really care if it comes with snow baskets?
does the anti shock really make a difference?

any help is highly appreciated as i will need these poles to help me along on my first solo section hike of massachusets at the end of september!!! yay me for even trying this. thanks in advance

try walkin' without them. earl shaffer didn't need or want them

Egads
06-30-2009, 20:31
try walkin' without them. earl shaffer didn't need or want them

I agree with LW; try walking without them. Then try walking with them and decide what works best for you.

Too many Whiteblazers try and make you conform to their way of doing things.

Lone Wolf
06-30-2009, 20:34

and leki reps

Egads
06-30-2009, 20:53
I agree with LW; try walking without them. Then try walking with them and decide what works best for you.

and leki reps

I don't carry Lekis

Big Dawg
06-30-2009, 20:57
I've been very pleased w/ my Black Diamond poles w/ flicklock. I too had problems w/ the twistlock poles collapsing at the wrong time. Mine has rubber handles,,, I like those better than cork, but to each his own. Baskets are not needed unless you're in snow. I never really cared for my previous poles w/ anti shock.

Hooch
06-30-2009, 21:05
.......I know alot of people will chime in, "ya get what you pay for".......Ya get what ya pay for.

Just kidding. To each their own, hike your own hike.

Big Dawg
06-30-2009, 21:24

Best of luck on your first solo hike! The friend I started the trail w/ decided to thru hike in 2007, which left me to continue on solo. I embrace it now & it's all good!

dmax
06-30-2009, 21:52
Cork with slanted hand grips.

Franco
06-30-2009, 21:53
"Too many Whiteblazers try and make you conform to their way of doing things."
That was funny. I do like a bit of humour.

srestrepo
Maybe to make your desires a bit clearer next time you could change your heading from
"I Want Hiking Poles!!!!
to
I WANT HIKING POLES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Franco

Summit
06-30-2009, 22:37
I don't carry LekisI don't carry Lekis and I certainly wouldn't think of carrying a Leki rep! :eek:

Blissful
06-30-2009, 23:01
Got my lekis reconditioned at Trail Days and work better now.

Alligator
06-30-2009, 23:12
I like my BD flicklocks much better than the Leki internal expander.

The BD straps I have are very well designed and really wrap around the wrist properly.

Snow baskets catch on vegetation. I might switch them in winter if I was headed to somewhere with snowpack.

I had anti-shock Lekis, I don't have anti-shock on my BD's and I don't miss it.

srestrepo
06-30-2009, 23:27
i have a fishing pole that has a cork handle on it and i like the way it feels. just to clarify, last weekend i hiked with a $10 pole from wallyworld and it was ok except for the fact that it was super heavy and that it kept collapsing and that the rubber handle got really annoying and that the wrist strap started to chafe my hands and anyway you get the idea.

i think that these are the poles i want to get
http://www.rei.com/product/782129
let me know if anyone has any experience with these...

thanks all for your input.

Reid
06-30-2009, 23:33
I carry only one pole and use it for tarp setup or if I just need one. I usually hike the hike itself without it though, but sometimes can use it. All in all it's good piece to have and regardless of weight I take one.

mere533
07-01-2009, 02:21
i have weak knees and antishock helps lots. the foam grips give me blisters but i doubt thats the usual. ymmv

Yukon
07-01-2009, 07:53
Love my BD contour eliptics with anti-shock. The anti-shock mechanisim on the Black Diamonds doesn't make any noise, it's the Leki's that have that click-clack sound every time you plant them. My BD's are silent :)

jrnj5k
07-01-2009, 16:59
dont like anti shock....something else to break that doesn't in my opinion add any benefit whatsoever

Yukon
07-02-2009, 08:00
dont like anti shock....something else to break that doesn't in my opinion add any benefit whatsoever

If you break the anti-shock system on the Black Diamonds then you are doing something seriously wrong!

Doctari
07-02-2009, 09:32
I have the Black Diamond "Traverse" poles. They are actually downhill ski poles, I got them because I felt they were sturdier than "trekking poles". And, they may well be. Anyway: I took the baskets off about 30 seconds after getting home from my first practice hike with them. 10 years later (last saturday) I finally took off the things the ski poles snapped into, saving an additional 1/2 Oz (1/4 Oz / pole) :p

I too do not like the feel of cork. I really like the "flicklock thing". I have A hiking pole with the shock/suspension thingy, I'm not a fan. It feels, , , , , unsettling. I also feel that on the uphills it wastes energy. One Black diamond = 10 Oz, the shock/suspension one is 10.2 Oz, so weight isn't (really) an issue. BUT, the main reason I'm retiring it to "spare" status, it has the twist locks. TWO of them, yea, it needs adjusting about every 2 - 3 miles, more if I do alot of downhills.

srestrepo
07-02-2009, 09:47
i went to rei and i bought the black diamond cork ergo trails. they're awesome, i have yet to try them out and i cant wait to give them a shot.

Summit
07-02-2009, 10:58
i went to rei and i bought the black diamond cork ergo trails. they're awesome, i have yet to try them out and i cant wait to give them a shot.Great, can't wait to get my commission check from REI and "Trekking Pole Marketers International!" :p :D

Seriously, I know you'll be very happy with them.

Big Dawg
07-02-2009, 18:34
i went to rei and i bought the black diamond cork ergo trails. they're awesome, i have yet to try them out and i cant wait to give them a shot.

Congrats!! you'll enjoy em!!

See Bee
07-02-2009, 20:03
Poland probably has the most hiking Poles.

//just saying

Jayboflavin04
07-02-2009, 20:13
I like my B/D trails. Like the small baskets(comes with snow baskest also). They are sooooo much quiter than twist locks. Good product good price. about $90