PDA

View Full Version : Making my own backpack

jrnj5k
06-30-2009, 16:47
I just ordered all my materials to make my own backpack from Questoutfitters.com. Making it out of 2.2 oz ripstop. its gonna be 2500CI. Will be a 1800CI body with a mesh back like the murmur and mesh side pockets for holding 1 liter water bottles for easy access. Im going to use left over gossamergear thinlight pad for padding in the hip and shoulders. My base weight is 5.5lbs. The pack should weigh under 10oz. im excited!!!! just wanted to share. Ill post pics when I start.:banana

YoungMoose
06-30-2009, 18:23
sounds cool. Let us know how it comes out

njordan2
06-30-2009, 18:29
5.5 pounds base weight? How much does it weigh for a week on the trail; food, water, shelter, sleeping bag and everything you hit the trail with?

coss
06-30-2009, 20:34
Sounds like a great project.

I made a very similar pack a couple of years ago, modeled loosely on the LAB pack instructions on the Thru-Hiker web site. The main compartment is 1828 cu in, the back pocket adds another 250, and with two water bottle pockets, the total capacity is about 2300. The bottom, the panel against the back, and the reinforcement patches are from 4 oz material while the rest is 1.9 oz. I purchased pre-made shoulder straps, which saved a lot of work. It has no hip belt or lid pocket. The top closes with the drawstring/rollup method, secured with a hold-down strap.

Total weight is 10.1 oz, and it works flawlessly with my 6.2 lb base weight.

jrnj5k
06-30-2009, 21:34
5.5 pounds base weight? How much does it weigh for a week on the trail; food, water, shelter, sleeping bag and everything you hit the trail with?

im not sure because with my job I havent been able to do more than 4 day trips. A 4 day trip with food fuel and water is 14lbs. Thats with 2liters of water though. I usually carry 1 liter at a time unless i anticipate a dry stretch.

garlic08
06-30-2009, 21:47

My answer, since my gear is very similar: I have an 8 pound base weight, my pack weighs 9 oz (Gossamer Gear G5), and I can carry up to 25 pounds total in the pack, or about 40 times the pack weight. (Try to do that with a 5 pound pack!) That gives me a "payload" for food and water of about 17 pounds. If I'm in the East, with good water availability, I don't carry more than 2 pounds of water, so I can carry 15 pounds of food. That would be good for me for 7 or 8 days, or about 180 miles. That's all hypothetical, since I've never had to carry that much. I usually hit a resupply within 150 miles.

jrnj5k
07-06-2009, 10:07
I got all my stuff today. Will post pics tonight. Sewing machine is being tuned so i'll be cutting the patterns tonight.

StarLyte
07-06-2009, 10:27
Have fun!

I always wanted to make my own tent.