PDA

View Full Version : Men's Issue- Chafing

kenm32653
06-30-2009, 20:28
This is serioius. Please don't be offended.

I have had serious chafing issues. I am a little overweight but mostly believe it is do to a genetic disposition to large thighs.

I solved most of the thigh chafing by wearing tight boxers. But they didn't support my scrotum and I had worse scrotal chafing. I solved that by wearing tight brief underwear.

Now I am wearing two pairs of underwear and bodyglide.

Does anyone else have these issues and how have they solved them?

Lone Wolf
06-30-2009, 20:30
bicycling tights will fix it

lvleph
06-30-2009, 20:30
Boxer briefs.

Lone Wolf
06-30-2009, 20:32
Boxer briefs....

....don't work

Egads
06-30-2009, 20:33
I am wearing two pairs of underwear and bodyglide.

Cool, hope they are nylon or poly

Hikes with a stick
06-30-2009, 20:38
You need the tight fitting under armor boxer briefs, the kind that make you look like a stud... Get 2 pairs, so you can wear one while the other is washed/drying.

Big Dawg
06-30-2009, 20:49
In my opinion, you've found the answer.... bodyglide! but ditch the 2 pairs of undies. I've tried bicycle tights & the like,, & none worked 100%. Then I found bodyglide & haven't had chafing since. I usually wear mesh gym shorts, no undies, and bodyglide while hiking. Works for me.

lvleph
06-30-2009, 21:15
....don't work
They are just like cycling shorts, except have a bit more room for you stuff. You just have to get the right kind. I have some that are really nice. My cycling shorts all have a chamois in them.

Rockhound
06-30-2009, 21:20
They are just like cycling shorts, except have a bit more room for you stuff. You just have to get the right kind. I have some that are really nice. My cycling shorts all have a chamois in them.
Guess LW doesn't need that much room for his "stuff":p

Doctari
06-30-2009, 21:26
For me 90% of my chaffing is heat related. If I stay cool, the rubbing isn't an issue. With TWO pair of shorts on & an outside temp over 50, I could likely make it 10 feet before I would be in tears, in 5 more feet I would be on my knees.

SO my cure is Ventilation: Kilt & no undies. It works for me, the ventilation & lack of insulation delays the inevatable, & when I get too hot (& no one is around) I can lift the front of the kilt & let the breeze in & the heat out.

My last two trips were in similar weather, terrain & pack weight.
Trip #1 nylon shorts, nylon undies the first day. I could barely walk after the first 3 miles. Loosing the undies helped, some, very little. I still treated by cooling, but this took pouring water on the afected area, & wet skin is soft skin, so this was at best a temporary solution AND made it worse in the long run, and you know how far water can be, esp when you really need it.
Trip #2 (last year): With "ample ventilation" I treated the chaffing like you would a blister, that is "treat it AS SOON as you feel a hot spot!" I would stop & cool off,then continue on my way. Not once was I in misery as I was previous trip. AND, my "Hot spots" were fewer. And, it gave me a chance to dry off the affected area.

I bet I would have been a sight tho. Old, overweight Bald guy, wearing a "skirt" facing into the wind & flashing nobody. :eek:

I have a tube of Body Glide, havn't used it yet, I think it will help. If I can remember where I put it.

Lugnut
06-30-2009, 21:31
Have you considered a sex change? :D

Lone Wolf
06-30-2009, 21:32
Guess LW doesn't need that much room for his "stuff":p
i'm built like a 3 year old

Toolshed
06-30-2009, 21:48
Stay clean - wash your parts twice daily. Compression style shorts (bikres without chamois will work but I find Bodyglide and the shorts to overcome anything. Even in the high heat and long days. I also tend to now wear $25 Ex-officio boxer briefs and they keep me cool and chafe free - Worth every penny.

elray
06-30-2009, 21:52
As mentioned in an earlier post, Body Glide, works for me every time!

bluffhead
06-30-2009, 22:12
coat ur boys in deoderant

bullseye
06-30-2009, 22:21
Similar to bodyglide, I use sportslick. Haven't had chafing in 4 years. I also put it on my feet, and haven't had any blisters either.

waywardfool
06-30-2009, 22:57
Ditto on the ex officio boxer briefs. Bodyglide, too. That combo did it for me.

There is always castration.

Blissful
06-30-2009, 22:58
My hubby is big guy and went commando with a sport kilt. And uses body glide.

Alligator
06-30-2009, 23:21
I solved most of the thigh chafing by wearing tight boxers. But they didn't support my scrotum and I had worse scrotal chafing. I solved that by wearing tight brief underwear.
...I have had a similar issue after going commando for a few years now. I find that briefs help. It was the sweat collecting.

I may try the bodyglide. I still get chafing a bit on my thighs as well and I'm not overweight.

srestrepo
06-30-2009, 23:33
Have you considered a sex change? :D

maybe not so drastic - but possibly if you did some man-scaping?? maybe you know, get rid of some of the insulation down there that would help keep it cooler.

longer than average but tight compression shorts always helped me. they dry quick they breathe great and they go down on the thigh further than boxer briefs do so it helps ease the rubbing.

Sleeps_With_Skunks
06-30-2009, 23:36
My hubby goes commando and uses gold bond to keep the chafing down. Boxer briefs help some when it gets really bad.

I get thigh chafe...and I found a little deodorant and gold bond keeps the chafing down. Haven't tried the body glide.

The Mechanical Man
07-01-2009, 01:35
Try Neosporin Cream, .......not Ointment.
Pain relief and antibiotic cream, non greasy.

It's sold in small tubes everywhere, try it, you'll like it.

Thank me later :)

fiddlehead
07-01-2009, 03:43
Body Glide can be hard to find.
KY gel works almost just as well.

If you have the sore spot, for relief from it, use diaper rash creme for babies. Cures you fast.

Good luck.

Maddog
07-01-2009, 05:20
wow! way too much information!

Homer&Marje
07-01-2009, 07:40
maybe not so drastic - but possibly if you did some man-scaping?? maybe you know, get rid of some of the insulation down there that would help keep it cooler.

longer than average but tight compression shorts always helped me. they dry quick they breathe great and they go down on the thigh further than boxer briefs do so it helps ease the rubbing.

Dont do it..... tried that approach last year and it got me into trouble. hair is actually a natural chafe preventer.....although it can seem like it's causing the problem....

I had the worst case of rot ever occur right after that...and all the hair trying to grow back through it!! Some bad days my friends...bleeding thighs. Have been trying different underwear and using body glide. Ventilation and cleaning is the key...salt buildup is the reason for your thighs scratching each other, not hair.

NCYankee
07-01-2009, 08:02
I have been using the body glide powder cream. I use one package per day and it has kept me feeling pretty solid. The body glide in the stick form just doesn't seem to go on smoothly for me.

beakerman
07-01-2009, 13:33
The combo that has always worked for me, keep in mind I live in SE Texas and it's hot and humid in the winter down here sometimes, is to go with the boxer briefs--those long legged versions that fit everywhere else like you old whitey tighties 9think lift and separate--and plain old baby powder. My normal pants or shorts take care of the rest of the thigh. I play a lot of paintball durring the summer and that combo--along with just plain old cleaning well and allowing air flow at night--has always worked for me regardless of what temperature and humidity is like.

I did see a comercial for monkey butt powder--that's what it as called seriously. I'm not sure if it was on the comedy channel or not but I'm going to go look for that and give it a try. the only thing I don't like about he baby powder is the fragrance. Sometimes I have trouble finding unscented baby powder.

I did manage to get a bad case of the monkey butt once when I lived in New Orleans. Fortunately it was when my daughter was still indiapers and we had some Little Beudreaux's Butt Paste in the medicine cabinet. That cleared things right up.

Red Beard
07-01-2009, 13:45
bicycling tights will fix it

Wolf is right-on. I did this to stop chafing during Cross Country in High School. Works like a charm.

Johnny Swank
07-01-2009, 13:45
Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation. Works for me.

Also, keeping clean with at least a quick sponge bath every night helps.

Downhill Trucker
07-01-2009, 13:47
Where can I find a sports kilt? Saw a few guys with them on the trail but forgot to ask them. Looked like a cool idea.

I tried the Badger Hand Balm on my last trip and it worked pretty well but I dunno if its the best solution. The jury is still out for me.

Walking Dead
07-01-2009, 15:36
I did see a comercial for monkey butt powder--that's what it as called seriously. I'm not sure if it was on the comedy channel or not but I'm going to go look for that and give it a try. the only thing I don't like about he baby powder is the fragrance. Sometimes I have trouble finding unscented baby powder.

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

beakerman
07-01-2009, 18:13
http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/
yep that's the stuff. I told the wife and she died laughing she still does not believe I actualy saw the comercial. thanks.

Anyway like Isaid I'm going to see if Wallyworld or someplace local has it and give it a try to see if I like it any better than standard baby powder.

Red Beard
07-01-2009, 19:18
I wonder if this stuff would be any good? http://www.buttpaste.com/BLButtPaste.php

Big Dawg
07-01-2009, 19:53
I wonder if this stuff would be any good? http://www.buttpaste.com/BLButtPaste.php

Never used it, but I heard it was good stuff.

beakerman
07-01-2009, 21:21

That's what I used to treat my last case of the monkey butt...before I found a system that works for me (se my post somewhere back up there above). It cleared it right up. IT's great stuff.

Toolshed
07-01-2009, 21:22
Yeah, I used Beaudreaux's butt paste for about 3 years starting about 4-5 years ago. Works OK and I liked the small tube size and the lack of fish smell like D&H has.

lvleph
07-02-2009, 00:08
Where can I find a sports kilt? Saw a few guys with them on the trail but forgot to ask them. Looked like a cool idea.

I tried the Badger Hand Balm on my last trip and it worked pretty well but I dunno if its the best solution. The jury is still out for me.
You can find some here. www.utilikilts.com/

Doctari
07-02-2009, 09:57
You can find some here. www.utilikilts.com/

That's "Utili Kilts" Sportkilts am at: http://www.sportkilt.com/

My favorite, Stillwater kilts: http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Stillwater-Kilts/
Check out the Thrifty kilt, that's what I hike in. Acrilic, cheep, comfy & I look GREAT in it. :p

Plodderman
07-02-2009, 15:49
Not sure I know the answer to your specific situation but chaffing has been a problem until I switched from hiking shorts to swimming trunks and cut the inside netting in half at the crotch . Then ditched the underwear until camp and never had the problem again.

rainmaker
07-02-2009, 22:25
One of the problems for men is that as they age, gravity, that eternal space time warp that wears us all down; actually causes the scrotum to sag or increase in length an average of 4.7 mm for men over 30. This along with the other the reasons already cited contributes to considerable chafing and explains why bicycle shorts appear to work. For a more permanent solution some hikers and cyclists may benefit from a surgical procedure called a scrotal tuck in which a small lateral incision is made on both sides of the scrotum and just above the testicles. The surgeon will then use sutures to reduce the sag and return the patient to their late teen and early 20's free swinging days. For more complete information, please contact your local plastic surgeon and under no circumstance should you try this at home.:D

Dr O
07-02-2009, 22:41
only place I ever chafe is on my nipples when I wear cotton shirts and sweat. wet cotton is like sandpaper on your nipples! :eek: I end up having to cover them with band aids to prevent it.

strangely, I've never heard of anyone else having this problem

drastic_quench
07-02-2009, 23:46
only place I ever chafe is on my nipples when I wear cotton shirts and sweat. wet cotton is like sandpaper on your nipples! :eek: I end up having to cover them with band aids to prevent it.

strangely, I've never heard of anyone else having this problem
It's pretty common with marathon runners. A lot them tape or band aid their nipples pre-race.

Jim Adams
07-03-2009, 00:39
Kilts...solves all chafing problems for me.

geek

Spogatz
07-03-2009, 01:00
A kilt is not going to solve your nipple problem unless you pull it up really high and then it creates other problems if you go commando...

hoz
07-03-2009, 07:00
Scrotal tuck? Now THAT"S TMI!

elangomat
07-03-2009, 10:11
Body Glide
Pouch underwear
Kilts seem interesting
If you opt for bike tights, you may want to omit the seat pad (Chamois)

Wise Old Owl
07-03-2009, 11:36

I'm with LW what works for bicycles - isn't good for the trail. You are trapping the moisture and sweat and compounding the problem. On a bike some moisture would be blown away or evaporated. You want to stay as dry as possible, Even if it means stopping and removing the sweat with a camp towel.

The UA or generic mens compression answer in the second post is the best answer.

Wise Old Owl
07-03-2009, 11:38
My hubby goes commando and uses gold bond to keep the chafing down. Boxer briefs help some when it gets really bad.

I get thigh chafe...and I found a little deodorant and gold bond keeps the chafing down. Haven't tried the body glide.

Wow - that gives a whole new meaning to "Feel the Burn!" If you are already chafed that product will keep you hopping!:D

I have had chafe so bad it almost sent me to the doctor. It was a oozing mess of puss that hung in there for a month, so I know what works. If it doesn't clear up in a day or three -switch to Tinactin. Use it liberally.

Doctari
07-03-2009, 13:12
I forgot, last trip, the ONE time I had a problem, because I let it goo too long, a dash of Gold Bond [NOT THE FOOT POWDER!!] fixed it right up. Only needed it once, was glad I had it.

As to deoderant: I susupect just deoderant would keep the smell down, but what you may want to use is Anti Persperant to keep the moisture down. Some I know use anti persperant in winter to keep the feet dry. Just a thought! NOT something I would do.

mister krabs
07-03-2009, 13:41
Body glide in the day, gold bond once I hit camp. Dried baby wipes to keep things clean.

Doctari
07-03-2009, 15:28
Body glide in the day, gold bond once I hit camp. Dried baby wipes to keep things clean.

Dried baby wipes??? Do you add water to them pre use or use them as is? Are they reusable?
I have to assume they work, so I won't ask that (I don't need any more "signs") :p

orangebug
07-05-2009, 07:08
LW has the best preventative - compression shorts. Diaper creme is a great solution, easily found in any size town.

Chafing is at least as common among women. Usually, they will complain of a bad poison ivy rash, but a little conversation lets you know what is the problem. Other lubricants are probably just as good, just not as available in Hiawassee (for instance).

mister krabs
07-05-2009, 17:24
Dried baby wipes??? Do you add water to them pre use or use them as is? Are they reusable?
I have to assume they work, so I won't ask that (I don't need any more "signs") :p

Sometimes I add water, sometimes I don't. Sometimes ya feel like a nut, sometimes ya don't.
:banana

Um, no they're not reusable. :p

Wise Old Owl
07-05-2009, 17:30
Sometimes I add water, sometimes I don't. Sometimes ya feel like a nut, sometimes ya don't.
:banana

Um, no they're not reusable. :p

Way too much TMI for one weekend.

mikeal
07-09-2009, 10:38
Leg length is key when using boxer-briefs. Compression shorts can squeeze your butt cheeks together, leading to chafing there. I hate spending top dollar on name brand gear, but Under Armor 9" heat gear boxer jocks worked for me. They aren't compression shorts, but are long and tight enough so that they won't ride up and make the chafing worse. The pouch is ventilated somewhat, and hold your boys so that they don't rub against anything. I have tried copies from Target and Walmart and they don't work for me.

leeki pole
07-09-2009, 10:54
Lose some weight. Problem solved.

ithai
07-10-2009, 23:34
bodyglide worked for me

JF2CBR
07-11-2009, 10:11
Just walk like you've been riding a horse all day, that should fix that problem.

chefjason
07-27-2009, 17:01
Went for a simple two nighter on the A.T. from Spring to Woody Gap with my daughter and 13 yr old son. By Sunday morning me and the boy were walking like a bo-legged cow boy with a cob up his butt! Stoped off at CVS on the way home and got some Desitn and 1 hour later all is right ( and no longer red and swollen) with the world. So, I do not know if Desitin will PREVENT the chafing issue, but I can promise you it will fix it once the chafing has begun. :)

chefjason
07-27-2009, 17:02
Lose some weight. Problem solved.
Not true! I am 6' 200 lbs and less than 18% b.f. So I am NOT over weight. Careful what kind of remarks you make unless you know the facts. FYI.

Press
07-27-2009, 20:32
I agree with Leeki Pole. Losing weight worked for me. I went from about 225 to 190, no chafing, back up to 200 now, minor chafing, so weight is a factor for me anyway. I am about 6-1.

DaleTr
07-27-2009, 21:17
After seeing more than usual ticks in Va then hearing prior to departure for CT just how bad the ticks were up north I had the bright idea to bring out the hair clippers and w/o using one of the clipper guards I set about removing as much hair as possible from my entire body. Goal was have a hairless body making it easier to spot the ticks. Lets just say 36 hrs later I walked like i had been riding a horse bareback.

jcramin
08-12-2009, 14:38
Well I went backpacking with my son this weekend and tried out my new UnderArmor boxer briefs and OMG they where amazing. Backpacked 15 miles in two days in 95+ degrees and never had a problem. Thats the first time EVER.

J

Tenderheart
08-12-2009, 15:08
It's pretty common with marathon runners. A lot them tape or band aid their nipples pre-race.

That's a fact! It used to happen to me all the time when I ran marathons, even in coolmax singlets. Band aids or vaseline did the trick for me. There is a product called "Cow's Udder" that works really well also. I assume it is still available at Walmart.

litefoot 2000

sherrill
08-12-2009, 15:12
Having competed in squat competitions in college, I can tell you, I have some big thighs. Still do. I run 5-6 miles a day still to stay in shape. There is something to be said about keeping your weight down, but, on men the thighs will only carry so much fat as opposed to the belly.

I use New Balance compression shorts as they work for me. Occasionally some Gold Bond powder, but rarely. I used to use bike shorts but the seams for the chamois would actually chafe me more.

I also used to use Body Glide but since trying the NB shorts I find no need anymore.

I think you have to find what works best for you. I tried a kilt once at the urging of a buddy, I lasted about 2 miles. Wasn't for me!

Manwich
08-12-2009, 15:15
There is a product called "Cow's Udder" that works really well also. I assume it is still available at Walmart.

my googling of "Cow's Udder" was a largely negative experience in finding said product.

Tenderheart
08-12-2009, 15:24
my googling of "Cow's Udder" was a largely negative experience in finding said product.

Sorry! Try Cow's Udder cream.

litefoot 2000

SkraM
08-12-2009, 15:44
Otherwise known as Udder Butter Cream

Manwich
08-12-2009, 16:20
Okay, this review of Udderly Smooth Cream (http://coachlevi.com/product-reviews/udderly-smooth-udder-chamois-cream-test-review/) is fantastic!

Jonnycat
09-13-2009, 18:20
:D :D :D

http://i25.tinypic.com/15cisti.jpg

NerdyJohn
09-13-2009, 19:26
Almost every motorcycle shop I've been to had antimonkeybutt powder on the checkout counter. Check for it there.

Chris Vreeland
09-13-2009, 20:09

Try googling "Bag Balm" - I think that is the product being sought. Worked well for me from PA to Katahdin.

Available at your local farm supply store.

Jayboflavin04
09-14-2009, 10:03
Not to be silly but does shaving your "ball fro" down help with excess moisture/heat retention.

OldStormcrow
09-14-2009, 10:19
Actually, the extra "insulation" of hair on your "boys" helps keep down friction and moisture problems. Besides, that's no place that you would want razor burn on a hot day.....just sayin.....

LyttleBryan
09-15-2009, 10:48
what types of various underwears have you tried?

OldStormcrow
09-15-2009, 11:20
what types of various underwears have you tried?
Who.....me?