PDA

View Full Version : Nalgene Knot!!! Help!

dan8794
06-30-2009, 23:50
So, I saw a hiker with Nalgene bottles on the trail this weekend. I too use Nalgene bottles and use duct tape to secure rope around it so that I can carabiner it to the outside of my pack. So, when I saw this hiker's Nalgene bottles dangling from his pack by rope, I was intrigued when I didn't see the duct tape. Instead, he had this fancy looking knot around the neck of the bottle. There were actually two knots on each side and the string looped over the mouth of the Nalgene. He said he couldn't remember how he tied the knot because he did it so long ago (a good thing, I guess - shows the durability of the knot!!). So, I thought I would post here and see if anyone knows how to tie the knot or knows where I could learn. I got a picture of the knot, and will upload it if I don't get any responses. Thanks in advance!

srestrepo
06-30-2009, 23:55
put the picture up to see what it looks like, might be easily identified by someone who knows their knots. im curious to see for myself what it looks like...

Ranc0r
07-01-2009, 00:04
Obviously I didn;t see what you saw, but check out the jug hitch, #7.
http://www.layhands.com/Knots/Knots_Decorative.htm

Close?

dan8794
07-01-2009, 07:49
Obviously I didn;t see what you saw, but check out the jug hitch, #7.
http://www.layhands.com/Knots/Knots_Decorative.htm

Close?

Similar, but not exactly. This knot actually had two knots directly across from one another thus distributing the weight of the Nalgene equally. Anywho, I will post a pic after work, heading out the door now. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this, I would love to incorporate it into my Nalgenes.

Dan

Walking Dead
07-01-2009, 08:28
Could have been this: http://www.animatedknots.com/doublefishermansrescue/index.php
If you slide the 2 parts of the knot apart then you can loop it over the neck and then pull it tight. The more weight you hang on it the tighter it would try to pull the knot together.

dan8794
07-01-2009, 16:53
Could have been this: http://www.animatedknots.com/doublefishermansrescue/index.php
If you slide the 2 parts of the knot apart then you can loop it over the neck and then pull it tight. The more weight you hang on it the tighter it would try to pull the knot together.

I think that's it! I'm gonna give it a shot and see.....thanks!!!

Just Plain Jim
07-01-2009, 16:56
This is very similar to the knot used to tie a fly leader to a fly line. Very secure.

rootball
07-01-2009, 17:03
One day you might find a nalgene laying on the trail with signs that it used to be held by a knot like that. Stick with the duct tape - NASA spent 137 million of your tax payer dollars to develop duct tape - use it, by god!

beakerman
07-01-2009, 18:10
nasa didn't develop duct tape they weren't even around when it was done. It was done back in WWII to keep the ammo boxes and stuff dry. The guys called it duck tape because water rolled off it like watter off a ducks back. The name stuck and the company making it sold it comercially under the name duck tape and if I recal corectly changed their name to the duck tape company. the cheap stuff is called duct tape.

snowhoe
07-01-2009, 18:35

Great knot for tieing tippet to your leader.

rootball
07-01-2009, 20:56
NASA developed it and the WII soldiers stole the idea from NASA.

beakerman
07-01-2009, 21:09
no nasa didn't exist until after WWII rootball. Nasa didn't exist until 1958...explain how the soldiers in a war that ended in 1945 stole the idea from and agency that would not exist for another 13 years?

beakerman
07-01-2009, 21:11
it has occurred to me you are joking...I hope so anyway.

SARdaddy
07-01-2009, 21:37
He's joking. Deep breathes...

rootball
07-01-2009, 21:47
Yes - joking. Did you get a little heated on that one? I was using sarcastic humor on my first post as well.
Remember that post my brother made several years ago when some dude asked about using running shoes on the AT- and hooty replied "Do not attempt this: because in 1957 three hundred and sixty four hikers and one baby died on the trail attempting to use running shoes" --- and some dude thought he was serious. Thats a loose quote of hootyhoo's original post. We laughed about that for days.

Kevin A. Boyce
07-01-2009, 22:10
You can also use a double fisherman's knot... Before you tighten the knot, slip the middle/open part around the neck of the bottle pull each end.

I have been using this knot for years on big wall climbs and have taught it to many folks as well.

beakerman
07-02-2009, 01:19
Yes - joking. Did you get a little heated on that one? I was using sarcastic humor on my first post as well.
Remember that post my brother made several years ago when some dude asked about using running shoes on the AT- and hooty replied "Do not attempt this: because in 1957 three hundred and sixty four hikers and one baby died on the trail attempting to use running shoes" --- and some dude thought he was serious. Thats a loose quote of hootyhoo's original post. We laughed about that for days.

It's all good yep you got me on that one. It has been a long hard hot week and I'm looking forward to cooling my heels so to speak this weekend--once I get the requisite scout stuff done. Sometimes when you get a little stressed you take things a little too seriously...well yeah....:datz

srestrepo
07-02-2009, 01:20
It's all good yep you got me on that one. It has been a long hard hot week and I'm looking forward to cooling my heels so to speak this weekend--once I get the requisite scout stuff done. Sometimes when you get a little stressed you take things a little too seriously...well yeah....:datz

whats funny about the post above is beakermans quote below what he says... just ironic...

beakerman
07-02-2009, 02:18
I'm usually joking around all the time but this last few weeks have really killed my sense of humor....sorry I took rootball seriously and even when I'm not stressed "terminally dumb" people get to me and I just didn't consider that I was looking at a joke. For a while there I thought I was dealing with...well let's not go there...let's just say rootball got a good one over on me and my hat is off to him...just remember rootball paybacks are a female dog. :D

and yes that is irony.

freefall
07-02-2009, 02:39
One day you might find a nalgene laying on the trail with signs that it used to be held by a knot like that. Stick with the duct tape - NASA spent 137 million of your tax payer dollars to develop duct tape - use it, by god!

That is great- I love it!:D NASA needs your help in the form of duct tape sales! That is awesome. Really I think it is great- do not mean to sound like a jackass!

Do they still own the patent and how much do they get from each sale?

babbage
11-29-2009, 18:45
That is so funny - I know its an older posr - but the thing about NASA developing the tape and beaker getting so upset is just making me laugh. That was a good one rootball.

Reid
11-30-2009, 13:13
probably a constrictor knot