PDA

View Full Version : What's For Lunch?

jrnj5k
07-01-2009, 11:43
On the trail of course!

Ox97GaMe
07-01-2009, 12:38
I usually have snack type items for lunch. This would include crackers with cheese or Peanut Butter, granola bars, GORP, breakfast bars, dried fruits.

Sometimes, I would carry tortilla shells with PB and Honey.

If I am coming out of a town stop, I would sometimes carry some fresh fruit for the first day's lunch.

garlic08
07-01-2009, 12:41
Tortilla with cheese, crackers with cheese, fig newtons or raisins, some nuts, piece of celery or carrot.

sarbar
07-01-2009, 18:25
I make lentil and couscous salads - no heat needed. Yumm-o!

snowhoe
07-01-2009, 18:33
Depends on what I can yogi from you.

Blissful
07-01-2009, 19:00
Salami, pepperoni, jerky, PB
hard cheese
tortillas, bagels

Hikes in Rain
07-01-2009, 19:19
Bag of trail mix....

jrnj5k
07-01-2009, 20:16
Bag of trail mix....

mehhhhhhhh:D

Hikes in Rain
07-01-2009, 20:55
Yeah, I know! I need to work on that. Just hate to stop hiking.....

srestrepo
07-02-2009, 01:19
peanut butter and bananas!!!! or some goldfish cheese crackers, chocolate mms or peanuts... works for me

Allen1901
07-02-2009, 10:07
For lunch I prefer stuff I don't have to cook. Trail mix, Cliff bars, dried fruit, beef jerky, hard boiled eggs, cheese...

Cheers!

OldStormcrow
07-02-2009, 10:29
Beef jerky, trail mix, dried fruit and slim jims.....lots of slim jims, while still walking. I only eat on downhills, though. You could aspirate that stuff while wheezing up a long hill. I have also discovered that there is no need for chapstick in the winter if I'm eating slim jims....nature's chapstick!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/mt9878/Resizeofslimjim.jpg

silversleep
07-02-2009, 12:06
freebase ramen

Panzer1
07-02-2009, 19:22
Peanut butter and jelly on any kind of bread.

Panzer

TD55
07-02-2009, 19:58
Peanutbutter and jelly and tunafish with diced up slim jims on a bed of raman noodles that have soaked in cold coffee for about a half hour and sprInkled with M&M's.

jrnj5k
07-03-2009, 14:59
Peanutbutter and jelly and tunafish with diced up slim jims on a bed of raman noodles that have soaked in cold coffee for about a half hour and sprInkled with M&M's.

mmmmmmmmmmm soaked.....

LaurieAnn
07-07-2009, 10:09
Seeing as we just got back from a trip I'll share our lunch menu with you... these aren't in any particular order except that we had the Tuna wraps on the first day and the Smoked Salmon wraps nearer the end of the trip.

Tuna Salad Wraps
Hummus and Pita
Asparagus Dip with Cornbread Crackers
Smoky Lentil Pâté with Baguette Crisps
Chili with Bannock (very rainy layover day - this was the only cooked lunch)
Olive Tapenade with Cracked Pepper Triscuits
Smoked Salmon Wraps with Fresh Sprouts (grew them in a water bottle)
Eggplant Dip with Ryvita
Salsa Verde with Tuna and Multigrain Tortillas

LaurieAnn
07-07-2009, 10:12
I meant to add that all of the dips, pâtés and the like rehydrate in less than 5 minutes with cold water. The salsa I rehydrated with cold water in a ziplock but I added the water as we broke camp and it was perfect when we stopped to eat. I used old paper towel tubes to store the crackers (except for the Black Pepper Triscuits) and then ziplocked them.

Dicentra
07-07-2009, 10:13
I make lentil and couscous salads - no heat needed. Yumm-o!

Yes! On the lentils. Here's one I recently shipped off to GoBlueHiker...

Rainbow Lentil Salad
Serves 1

If your vegetable mix doesn’t have dried tomatoes, I highly recommend that you add some to this salad!

1/3 cup cooked and dried lentils
1 teaspoon dill
2 packets True Lemon
2 tablespoons dried bell pepper
2 tablespoons dried carrots
1 teaspoon onion flakes
˝ teaspoon vegetable bouillon
salt and pepper to taste

At home: combine all of the ingredients vinegar in a zip locking plastic bag.

In camp: add just enough water to cover. Stir well and allow to rehydrate.

LaurieAnn
07-07-2009, 10:19
Speaking of Lentil Salads... this one (my recipe) appeared in Joy of Backpacking by Brian Beffort a few years back. Hopefully I haven't posted it here before. It sounds complicated but it's quite simply to make and dry (I just go into a lot of detail). On the trail all you do is add cold water and wait 5 or 10 minutes. It rehydrates very quickly. It's also good warm but I prefer it air temperature. You can use cooked lentils in place of the canned.

Citrus Lentil Salad

Dehydration Time: 5 to 7 hours
Serves 2

Salad Mixture
1 cup of canned green lentils – rinsed and well drained
1 small carrot – coarsely grated
2 cloves garlic – minced
3 tablespoons celery leaves – chopped (see notes)
1/3 cup roasted red pepper – chopped in 1/4 inch pieces (see notes)
1/8 cup fresh chives or scallions – chopped
1/8 cup fresh parsley – chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon lemon zest
salt and pepper – to taste
3 tablespoons of crumbled feta cheese

Dressing
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried sweet basil

At Home: Combine all of the salad ingredients except for the dressing in a medium bowl. Spread out the salad mixture on lined dehydrator trays and dry for 5 to 7 hours. Time will depend on the type of dehydrator that you have. If your unit has a temperature control, set it for 135°F. Place the lemon juice and olive oil in a leak proof container such as a small Nalgene bottle. Pack the cayenne, cumin and sweet basil in plastic wrap or a small zipper bag. Place the salad, bottle and spice packet inside a medium zipper bag and seal, making sure to remove as much air as possible.

At Camp: Rehydrate the salad using a formula of 1.5 parts dried mix to 1 part water. Wait 5 or 10 minutes and then add a little more water if needed. If you accidentally use too much water, be sure to drain the salad well before adding the dressing. Combine the contents of the spice packet to the bottle containing the olive oil and lemon juice mixture. Shake vigorously and then pour the dressing on the hydrated salad. Stir gently to combine.

Serving Suggestions: Serve the salad on its’ own, with lightly toasted Greek pitas, or use as a filling for a pita pocket.

Notes
Storage: If you plan to make this well ahead of a trip then do not make the oil and lemon mixture until closer to when you will leave. You can store the dried ingredients in the freezer for 6 months. Place the name and date on the outside of the freezer bag, using an indelible marker, and do not forget to put a comment about adding the dressing on the bag.

Roasted Red Peppers: to roast peppers place them on a baking sheet in a 350 F oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Allow to cool before peeling off the skin. You can also grill them until the skin starts to blacken and peel. You can buy roasted red peppers, packed in oil, at the supermarket. Just give them a little rinse first.

Celery Leaves: Many people do not realize that the leaves found on the celery stalks are good for use in salads and other dishes. Celery leaves impart a mild celery flavor. Most often, the leaves are at the top of the celery; however, if you look closely you will sometimes find them hidden in the centre of the stalks.

Dicentra
07-07-2009, 10:24
Dilly Tuna Salad
Serves 1

This can be served on crackers, bread or by itself.

http://www.onepanwonders.com/PCT%20Rainier%20Lunch.jpg http://www.onepanwonders.com/PCT%20Rainier%20Lunch2.jpg

1 3 ounce package tuna
2 tablespoons dried vegetables
1 teaspoon dried dill
1 packet True Lemon
1/2 teaspoon vegetable bouillon
2 packets mayo

At home: combine the vegetables, dill, True Lemon (http://www.onepanwonders.com/glossary.htm) and bouillon in a
zip locking plastic bag. Carry the other ingredients separately.

In camp: add just enough water to the vegetables to cover. Let stand for 5 minutes, or until rehydrated. Add the tuna and mayo. Stir well and enjoy.

LaurieAnn
07-07-2009, 10:25
Yes! On the lentils. Here's one I recently shipped off to GoBlueHiker...

Rainbow Lentil Salad
Serves 1

If your vegetable mix doesn’t have dried tomatoes, I highly recommend that you add some to this salad!

1/3 cup cooked and dried lentils
1 teaspoon dill
2 packets True Lemon
2 tablespoons dried bell pepper
2 tablespoons dried carrots
1 teaspoon onion flakes
˝ teaspoon vegetable bouillon
salt and pepper to taste

At home: combine all of the ingredients vinegar in a zip locking plastic bag.

In camp: add just enough water to cover. Stir well and allow to rehydrate.

Dicentra... you may want to proofread this one (especially if you cut and pasted from your manuscript or website) and perhaps post a correction.

Your "At home" instructions are a little misleading and "vinegar" doesn't appear in your ingredients list when it is mentioned in the "At home" blurb. Just a heads up.

Dicentra
07-07-2009, 10:27
Yeah. It's not supposed to say vinegar. Scratch that. lol. Rough draft. :)

jersey joe
07-07-2009, 10:31
For me, lunch never invloves firing up the stove.

LaurieAnn
07-07-2009, 10:32
Yeah. It's not supposed to say vinegar. Scratch that. lol. Rough draft. :)

Sorry - I hope I didn't step on your toes... but I just didn't want to see someone have their lunch ruined - on a weekender that's not as big an issue as it would be on a thru-hike (especially if someone had planned this for multiple lunches).

LaurieAnn
07-07-2009, 10:34
For me, lunch never invloves firing up the stove.

I'm that way too... except for very cold weather and on this last trip... the Chili we had on our layover. It was originally planned as a dinner but we had two fisherpeople with us who caught and cooked a fresh bass dinner for us so it was leftover. With the weather being crappy and us not moving the warm lunch was quite comforting.

For the most part (there is the odd exception), if it won't rehydrate quickly with cold water, it doesn't make the lunch menu.

sarbar
07-07-2009, 10:40
Dilly Tuna Salad
Serves 1

This can be served on crackers, bread or by itself.

http://www.onepanwonders.com/PCT%20Rainier%20Lunch.jpg http://www.onepanwonders.com/PCT%20Rainier%20Lunch2.jpg

1 3 ounce package tuna
2 tablespoons dried vegetables
1 teaspoon dried dill
1 packet True Lemon
1/2 teaspoon vegetable bouillon
2 packets mayo

At home: combine the vegetables, dill, True Lemon (http://www.onepanwonders.com/glossary.htm) and bouillon in a
zip locking plastic bag. Carry the other ingredients separately.

In camp: add just enough water to the vegetables to cover. Let stand for 5 minutes, or until rehydrated. Add the tuna and mayo. Stir well and enjoy.

Hey, that hike looks familiar :D That was when we met Sarong on the PCT, that was an awesome trip, Di. I take good photos of big sammies...lol! I remember my lunch that day was no where as good!

Dicentra
07-07-2009, 10:43
Yup. That one was pretty close to where we'll be hiking this weekend. :) Let's hope it doesn't snow on us again!

It was yummy. I need to go get more of those pickles!

sarbar
07-07-2009, 10:44
This a recent recipe re-do I added to the website:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Blog%20Food/tunacous.jpg

Tuna Lemon Couscous Salad

Ingredients

* 1⁄3 c couscous
* 1 t onion powder (not onion salt!)
* 1 t dried mint flakes
* 1⁄4 t true lemon powder
* 1⁄4 t ground black pepper
* 1 1⁄2 oz packet shelf stable balsamic vinaigrette dressing
* 3 oz pouch albacore tuna
* 1⁄3 c cool water

Instructions

At home pack the couscous, mint, onion, True Lemon and pepper in a pint freezer bag or a sandwich bag. Tuck in the tuna and dressing packets with it.

Add the cool water and dressing to the bag. Stir well, seal tightly and let sit for 10 minutes. Fluff up and stir in the tuna. If you like it, dust with some Parmesan cheese.
Notes

True Lemon powder can be found in most grocery stores, often in the sugar aisle. You can also pack a lemon juice packet instead.
Find shelf stable dressing packets at www.packitgourmet.com and www.minimus.biz
On the tuna packs - they range in size from 2 to 3 ounces, depending on brand. Pick the one you like!

Dry weight of packed meal is 7 ounces.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Blog%20Food/tunacous2.jpg

sarbar
07-07-2009, 10:46
Another recent recipe re-do I posted to my website:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Blog%20Food/swwraps.jpg

Southwest Chicken Corn Wraps

Ingredients

* 1 pk 7 ounce chicken breast
* 2 pkt shelf stable ranch dressing (5 ounces total)
* 1⁄4 c shelf stable bacon bits
* 1⁄2 c shelf stable parmesan cheese
* 1 1⁄2 t dried cilantro
* 1 t ground cumin
* 1⁄4 t granulated garlic
* 1⁄4 t chili powder
* 1⁄2 c freeze-dried corn
* 1⁄2 c water

Instructions

In a sandwich bag pack the corn and seal tightly. Mark on it "Add 1/2 cup water". Pack the cheese, bacon bits and spices in a tightly sealed snack size bag. Tuck both bags in with the chicken pouch and the ranch tubs.
Bring 2 large tortillas or bread of choice with you as well.

Add cool water to the corn bag and let soak for 1o minutes. Drain off any remaining water carefully. For mixing up the chicken salad you have three ways - in your pot or bowl, in the corn bag or carefully in the chicken pouch.
Break the chicken up with your spoon, fold in the corn, then the ranch dressing. Stir in the seasoned cheese.
Spread on wraps, roll up and enjoy!
Notes

For the ranch dressing we used Hidden Valley tubs that are 2 1/2 ounces each. You can use whatever brand you like, in a tub or packet, just bring around 4 or 5 ounces worth.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Blog%20Food/swwraps2.jpg

sarbar
07-07-2009, 11:02
This recipe, a no cook lunch, is one of my son Ford's favorite trashy meals:

Pepperoni Pasta Salad

Ingredients

* 3 oz package ramen (discard flavor packet)
* 1⁄4 c freeze dried vegetables
* 1 pk shelf stable pepperoni slices (see notes)
* 1 oz shelf stable ranch dressing (1 packet)
* 1 T shelf stable Parmesan cheese
* 1 1⁄2 c water

Instructions

At home:
Break the ramen up a bit, put in a quart freezer bag with the vegetables. Pack the cheese in a small bag or take packets. Tuck the salad dressing packet, the pepperoni sleeve and cheese with the bag.

In camp:
Add the cool water to the bag, seal tightly. Let sit for 20 to 30 minutes. Drain off water carefully, add in the pepperoni and dressing, tossing to coat. Sprinkle on the cheese.
Notes

This salad is one of the more popular meals we do at trail cooking presentations.

For the pepperoni, look in the packaged deli meat section for small packages, 3 1/2 ounce size, of pepperoni. The package will have two sleeves in it. Take one with you, saving the other sleeve for another meal. The pepperoni is safe to carry for as long as you want it till opened. Once opened, eat within a couple hours.

Pick whatever freeze dried vegetables you prefer - adding in freeze dried olives is awesome.

Ewker
07-07-2009, 11:05
This recipe, a no cook lunch, is one of my son Ford's favorite trashy meals:

Pepperoni Pasta Salad

Ingredients

* 3 oz package ramen (discard flavor packet)
* 1⁄4 c freeze dried vegetables
* 1 pk shelf stable pepperoni slices (see notes)
* 1 oz shelf stable ranch dressing (1 packet)
* 1 T shelf stable Parmesan cheese
* 1 1⁄2 c water

Instructions

At home:
Break the ramen up a bit, put in a quart freezer bag with the vegetables. Pack the cheese in a small bag or take packets. Tuck the salad dressing packet, the pepperoni sleeve and cheese with the bag.

In camp:
Add the cool water to the bag, seal tightly. Let sit for 20 to 30 minutes. Drain off water carefully, add in the pepperoni and dressing, tossing to coat. Sprinkle on the cheese.
Notes

This salad is one of the more popular meals we do at trail cooking presentations.

For the pepperoni, look in the packaged deli meat section for small packages, 3 1/2 ounce size, of pepperoni. The package will have two sleeves in it. Take one with you, saving the other sleeve for another meal. The pepperoni is safe to carry for as long as you want it till opened. Once opened, eat within a couple hours.

Pick whatever freeze dried vegetables you prefer - adding in freeze dried olives is awesome.

instead of the Parmesan cheese I add some string cheese or babybel cut into cubes

sarbar
07-07-2009, 11:10
instead of the Parmesan cheese I add some string cheese or babybel cut into cubes

Yep! That tastes awesome as well :D Ford loves ANY cheese added though :rolleyes:

ithai
07-09-2009, 16:53
2 tortillas with peanut butter & honey, beef jerky, granola bar, snickers, gorp

Yahtzee
07-09-2009, 17:22
Ramen with a half serving of instant mash. I cook. I take a long break. I relax.

It takes me less than 2 minutes to get my stove and a ramen out of my pack and maybe 5 to cook. I like to fill up on carbs and fat (by way of oil) for the rest of the day.

I do tend to hike late in the day, but I loves me a long luxurious lunch. Cooking up a ramen and mashers isn't hard and doesn't take much effort.

Strategic
07-09-2009, 17:50
Often I'll just eat dry sausages and stable cheese (the infamous Laughing Cow) with a pita (my favorite trail bread, because it's both tough enough to take packing and still very...bread-like.) But sometimes I need a more regular kind of lunch. That's when I go for a good chicken salad on pita; it's very simple and quite tasty. Here's the recipe:

Trail Chicken Salad

1 7oz foil pouch of chicken
3 packets mayo
2 packets chopped onion (from a local deli where they offer it for hot dogs)
2 packets pickle relish
1 packet Gulden's mustard
1 packet lemon juice
salt and pepper

Just open the foil pouch of chicken, squeeze/drain any moisture it has in it out, and break it up with your fork. Then squeeze in all the packets, mix it well in the pouch, and turn it out onto a pita (I use the fairly large pocketless kind as it's more durable.) Fold it up like a taco and wolf it down. Everything in the recipe is completely shelf-stable, so no worries about disease taking this meat salad on the trail; since you mix it on the spot it's as fresh as any your likely to get short of home.

Wise Old Owl
07-09-2009, 19:44
Beef jerky, trail mix, dried fruit and slim jims.....lots of slim jims, while still walking. I only eat on downhills, though. You could aspirate that stuff while wheezing up a long hill. I have also discovered that there is no need for chapstick in the winter if I'm eating slim jims....nature's chapstick!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/mt9878/Resizeofslimjim.jpg

Heart Disease and nasty - all in a tight wrapper... My trail dog's favorite! :D

LaurieAnn
07-09-2009, 21:13
This is an amazing "no-cook" lunch from my friend Karla.

Mom's Carlsbad Dip (http://www.wildernesscooking.com/carlsbad-dip.htm)

lilypond
07-26-2009, 17:51
Has any one tried carrying a few Starkist Tuna Creations for variety? At 4.5 oz a package I was wondering if it would be a good choice.

Ox97GaMe
07-26-2009, 18:07
I have used the Tuna Creations. Basically anything in a pouch that will last in the backcountry is a good candidate. I have carried out pouched Salmon, chicken breasts, ham, and tuna. Lots of varieties at the stores in my area. They make nice additions to a Lipton/Knorr rice or pasta dinner as well.

sarbar
07-26-2009, 19:47
Has any one tried carrying a few Starkist Tuna Creations for variety? At 4.5 oz a package I was wondering if it would be a good choice.
Very good! Love them....

Trailweaver
07-27-2009, 00:30
One of my favorites is to core an apple and stuff it with peanut butter. (Plain or crunchy.)

I also carry hard crackers to eat with cheeses, tuna salad, and jerky.

I find I cannot eat a heavy lunch and still hike, so I snack, rest, and hike again till I can set up camp for the evening. Then I eat my largest meal.

LaurieAnn
07-27-2009, 07:09
One of my favorites is to core an apple and stuff it with peanut butter. (Plain or crunchy.)

I also carry hard crackers to eat with cheeses, tuna salad, and jerky.

I find I cannot eat a heavy lunch and still hike, so I snack, rest, and hike again till I can set up camp for the evening. Then I eat my largest meal.

That reminds me.... a pear with Nutella and some granola is pretty yummy too. We tend to light lunch and graze throughout the day as well. That's why I like hummus and other dips with a few crackers for lunch. I found a shelf stable brand of Brie and we will sometimes have a bit of that or some tapenade. Sometimes we have coleslaw or other type of trail salad.

fredmugs
07-27-2009, 09:03
MetRx Big 100 Super Cookie Crunch.

toegem
07-27-2009, 10:04
Re-hydrated Spicy Three Pepper Hummus on water crackers or saltines, a couple of handfuls of gorp all washed down with a half liter of instant Gatorade. :)

sarbar
07-27-2009, 10:20
I did a great lunch yesterday of:
3 ounce pouch chicken
1 1-ounce pouch shelf stable Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans

Mix all together in the chicken bag and let sit for a couple minutes to blend.

aldredheron
02-18-2010, 03:54
Healthy Harvest Multigrain Pasta with tomato sauce, a little bit of parmesan cheese, and grilled veggies (mushrooms, squash, tomatos, etc); a salad with chick peas; and maybe something else....

J-Rod
02-18-2010, 09:38
PBJ for me...or some kind of trail soup

my Fav trail Soup is Taco soup

1 pack of ramen noodles
dehydrated corn,green peppers,hot peppers,onion
Spice mix of Chilli powder,hot peppers,taco seasoning (to taste)
one small bag of corn chips
hot sauce

cook the ramen noodles and dehydrated stuff...

after it cooked add in spices and corn chips...and hot sauce and enjoy

wtmntcaretaker
02-22-2010, 20:11
I really like a peanutbutter, tuna, musterd, relish, crazin, wrap! Delicious!!

mtnkngxt
02-24-2010, 22:37
Crunchy Peanut Butter, Honey packet, tortilla, and dried fruit. Extra points if I find individual jam packets in town stops.

Gator 65
03-31-2010, 17:09
Snickers, Snickers, and then more Snickers. Follow that up with a dry pack of Ramen. Lunch is chill out and nap time not to be wasted cooking!
Seriously, you will not always be at a shelter or a convenient place to stop. You may also find that eating the above with jerky and trail mix every 2 hours or so will keep your energy level at a sustainable level throughout the day and will get you through the longer mile days.