PDA

View Full Version : Vermont Green Mountains

jrue1985
07-01-2009, 12:53
My boyfriend and I attempted the Bourn Pond/Stratton Pond loop trail last weekend. We had a lot of fun but couldn't make it to the side with the AT. We started on the other side of the loop and were saving that for last. We were almost to our first night's stay (a shelter) and had to turn around because of a massive flood from a beaver dam. DAMN BEAVERS! We only ended up hiking about 11.4 miles, but it was still fun. Anyone else been on this trail? Anyone have a good idea of another place to hike and explore in the New England states? We want to do one state each spring/summer until one year when we are making enough money to fly out to different states to hike.

Homer&Marje
07-01-2009, 13:08
Do the Whites in NH.....AT or not there is a million hikes available. Same with the Berkshires in Connecticut and Mass, still got to worry about the damn beavers though.....

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ldP-jp9aBzY/SMpn8epVfuI/AAAAAAAAAgw/IOV9HRB-IBA/s576/06630022.JPG
Was only like a 200' long beaver dam. massive flooding on the trail too.

High Life
07-01-2009, 13:32
ive been on the AT thru by stratton pond twice now
lovely area awesome hiking .. been through some beaver dam(n) flooding in VT (i think )
there was a spot where they double up the bog bridges from the previous year ( 2007 to 2008 )
__________________________________________________ _____________
Great loops in NH for sure , My first hike up there was the Franconia Ridge Loop Via bridal path > Falling waters trails ..also check out Mt. Mansfield in VT great hiking there .. Camels hump has a pretty good loop too , but you may need two cars ( not quite sure , i hiked it ..didnt drive it ..

Kerosene
07-01-2009, 15:07
I like the section on the Long Trail from the Inn at Long Trail (US-4) to Brandon Gap (VT-73). You can climb the trail up to Horrid Rocks at Brandon Gap, and there are nice views of Chittenden Reservoir along this relatively easy 13-mile section.

Deadeye
07-01-2009, 20:49
Most anywhere on the Long Trail is great, but it is a linear trail, and tough to make nice loops, so you usually need two cars or pickup/dropoff. If that's an issue, just pick up a map of the Adirondack high peaks or the white mountains. These mountains are more jumbled, and you can make an endless variety of loop hikes.

My personal favorite part of the LT is Appalachian Gap to Jonesville. Lots of variety on the trail, plenty of open spaces. Makes a nice overnight, or two-nighter if you like to take your time. Best for mid-week if you want relative solitude.

jrue1985
07-02-2009, 09:12
Thanks for all the replies guys. My bf and I already have a few more ideas now, like a loop trail on the coast of mail in Cutler. And now we want to try the Northern Forest Canoe Trail with our kayaks. So many cool things to do in the outdoors in New England!

jrue1985
07-02-2009, 09:13
Oops, I meant on the coast of MAINE i wrote mail by mistake lol. Thinking about the post office haha.