PDA

View Full Version : Balsam Mountain trail conditions...

TIDE-HSV
07-01-2009, 14:17
Has anyone done it lately? I haven't in years, but I'm thinking about doing it from Laurel Gap up to Tricorner early next month. The last time I did it, it was overgrown in places, but that was long, long before the BMT connected to it...

chelko
07-01-2009, 17:09
I hiked that stretch three weeks ago on the 11th to be exact. the trail was in great shape and very pleasant hiking. Not a lot of climbing just a casual stroll. Laurel gap is a s**t hole and the dirt floor floods in heavy rain. the water sources were all good.

TIDE-HSV
07-01-2009, 17:30
I remembered the trail that way also, except, of course, for the overgrown parts. As far as the shelter, we'll be bringing tents, since we'll probably be staying at Sterling and a couple of other places, so we could tent outside. I wouldn't expect "the law" to show up there, when there're much more populated places needing policing. (Like where were they when we had a bunch of permitless at SPG Monday night?)

Egads
07-01-2009, 22:27
I did it Memorial Day 2008 and do not recall any overgrown areas

TIDE-HSV
07-02-2009, 00:13
I did it last in 1974...

generoll
07-02-2009, 08:33
I remember the hike up TO Balsam Mountain trail as a bit of a butt kicker. Once you're there I was able to stay out of the mud and horse manure by walking on the boards that were laying on the trail.

bulldog49
07-02-2009, 09:36
It's my favorite trail in the park. It's never been overgrown anytime I've hiked it in the past 15 years.

gollwoods
07-18-2009, 19:35
Has anyone done it lately? I haven't in years, but I'm thinking about doing it from Laurel Gap up to Tricorner early next month. The last time I did it, it was overgrown in places, but that was long, long before the BMT connected to it...

I was just looking at my photos from jan when i did that trail. the branches dripped on me the whole way it seemed, just wind or melt i guess. it was not raining.

TIDE-HSV
07-19-2009, 12:16
Years ago, my wife and I set out to do Slickrock in April. When we arrived at Big Fat Gap and parked, it started snowing. We did an instant change of plans and started up Hangover Lead instead. In the upper part, the rhododendron were heavy with snow and we were still using frame packs at the time. Anyway, the same thing was happening to us - the frames would nick the branches and dump snow down our backs. We finally stopped and put on our rain jackets. I hike that trail again a couple of years ago and it was in appalling shape. The USFS has let it go to hell in a handbasket. It's so washed out in places only a relocation can save it...

Cookerhiker
10-23-2009, 16:23
Don't know about the part you asked but I hiked it from Laurel Gap down to the road at Pin Oak Gap yesterday and it was beautiful!

TIDE-HSV
10-23-2009, 17:09
We ended up hiking from Sterling to Laurel Gap, but we didn't head up to Tricorner. The Sterling ridge trail was a bit overgrown in some areas. We had to push brush out of the way. I was surprised, since it's part of the BMT now...