PDA

View Full Version : Dirt road at blue ridge gap in Georgia

tnuk
07-07-2004, 11:25
Does anyone know what's the name of the dirt road that crosses the AT at the blue ridge gap in Georgia? Where does this road start at?

Almanac
07-07-2004, 13:02
I think that the name of the road is Hightower Road or Hightower Gap Road. It is off of Hwy 76 before you get to Dick's Creek Gap. It starts as a paved road, then turns to dirt maybe a half mile from the trail crossing.

Almanac

Lobo
07-07-2004, 13:19
That road begins on Rt. 76. If you are traveling north on 76, it is the first right after you cross the AT at Dicks Creek Gap, about 1 1/2 miles. Keep going straight on that road, first crossing Walls Creek after 1/2 mile and the joining up with Hightower Creek in about 1 mile. Keep following Hightower Creek (do not cross the main part of the creek, you will cross three small feeder creeks) for another 2 miles until you reach the section that branches into 2 4WD roads. Take the branch to the right. This road crosses the AT in about 1/2 mile and continues as a 4 WD road down the other side for about 2 miles until it joins a road along the Tallulah River.

tnuk
07-08-2004, 09:31
Thanks for the info. I sectioned hiked to Bly Gap in April then backtracked to Dicks Creek Gap for a ride home and I was considering starting back at Blue Ridge Gap.

Youngblood
07-12-2004, 20:58
That road begins on Rt. 76. If you are traveling north on 76, it is the first right after you cross the AT at Dicks Creek Gap, about 1 1/2 miles. Keep going straight on that road, first crossing Walls Creek after 1/2 mile and the joining up with Hightower Creek in about 1 mile. Keep following Hightower Creek (do not cross the main part of the creek, you will cross three small feeder creeks) for another 2 miles until you reach the section that branches into 2 4WD roads. Take the branch to the right. This road crosses the AT in about 1/2 mile and continues as a 4 WD road down the other side for about 2 miles until it joins a road along the Tallulah River.

Lobo,

I think Upper Hightower Road(?) is 2.6 miles west of Dicks Creek Gap on US76. I was up there earlier this year and would not recommend driving to Blue Ridge Gap for anyone who did not have a vehicle with a high ground clearance. It is pavement except for the last mile or so and you have to be careful at a few spots, it is not for temid drivers. After it crosses the AT it becomes a more serious 4 WD road with some significant water crossings. Since I didn't have a 4 WD vehicle, I had to stop and go back out the way I came in and couldn't make it to the Tate City Road(?).

Youngblood

MOWGLI
07-22-2004, 09:45
I am thinking about doing an overnight this weekend. I want to try and hike into the Kelly Ridge Roadless Area to take some photos from Dick's Creek Gap, or that general vicinity. Does anyone know a good safe place to park in the area? I am aware of the Poteat's Blueberry Patch Hostel, as I stayed there in 2000. I am also aware of Hikerhostel.com, as Josh & Leigh are good friends. That's awful far for an overnight however. Are there alternatives (parking lots) that are relatively safe?

Thanks.

Abatis1948
06-28-2015, 19:40
Last Thursday (June 25, 2015) I was able to drive up to the AT trailhead at Blue Ridge Gap. I was there two weeks ago and the road was not passable unless you were driving a high clearance 4WD. Thursday I found the road much improved with all the washouts and rocks removed and was able to drive my Subaru right up to the trailhead. I do not know how long the road will remain in good shape or if this was just a onetime clean up and repair due to the exposed digital cable that was uncovered in the washouts.

Ron Haven
06-29-2015, 19:16
They are a hostel just below Dicks Creek Gap that may have parking.

DralaHiker
06-03-2016, 22:37
I was on Hightower Rd. last June and saw a dumptruck of gravel and a road grader up Charlies Cr Rd that goes to Blue Ridge Gap and onwards across the Tallulah River.

However, that road washes out regularly. I got my Subaru that road once by building a ramp of rocks to get over a boulder alongside a deep washout. I didn't want to go back the same way, so I headed towards Tallulah River. Came to another boulder going down, had to crawl out the car due to blackberry brambles, build a ramp and proceed. I was so revved up by the time I hit the river that I just floored the Subbie, windshield totally awash in sheets of water, until I hit gravel on the other side where I stopped to use the windshield wipers. An adventure for sure but lesson learned - scout the blasted road!

generoll
06-04-2016, 08:30
I've driven both ways on this road, but it's not really worth it to go to the gap on a regular basis. When I shuttle I have the hikers walk down to the pavement for pickup.