PDA

View Full Version : Please don't take this wrong but is hiking a white person sport?

CowHead
07-03-2009, 13:01
I never see any Africans American's on the trail. I seen 1 Asian American. Is my perception wrong?

srestrepo
07-03-2009, 13:02
well i'm from colombia, south america but you're right. never really see anyone but a caucasian looking individual out on the trail...

SouthMark
07-03-2009, 13:08
We have two black couples in our hiking club, the Appalachian Trail Club of Alabama.

Lugnut
07-03-2009, 13:25
Four that I know of: Serial, Rosy, Sarge and Rocky Top. I'm sure there are a few more.

Cannibal
07-03-2009, 13:26
There were at least 2 black folks on the trail in 08. But, when my best friend (who is black) found out I wanted to walk through the woods for 6 months his response was "Man, you white people just ain't right". :-?

leeki pole
07-03-2009, 13:27
Yes. Take a look at major league baseball and NHL and Nascar. I'm not saying it's wrong, it is what it is. The opportunity is there, it's just that some ethnic groups don't care to participate in those activities. So be it, and we shoudn't try to have a "quota" of any athlete in any sport. If you want to play, bring your game, but if what you are implying is that there is some discrimination involved, in my opinion you are wrong. I have many African American friends and all of them think I am crazy for sleeping in the woods and walking all day and smelling like you know what when I get through with a section.

Rockhound
07-03-2009, 13:30
Four that I know of: Serial, Rosy, Sarge and Rocky Top. I'm sure there are a few more.
Don't forget Navin R. Johnson. He was born a poor black child.

Wise Old Owl
07-03-2009, 13:32
Yes black people hike.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48801&highlight=black+race

BigCat
07-03-2009, 13:38
Funny story: When I started my thru attempt in '07, one of the first guys I saw was a black guy descending to the Springer shelter. My dad and I (both ex-military) remember him wearing an Airborne hat.

Later that day I stopped at Hawk Mountain and there was a black girl there asking if I'd seen her buddy. I asked what he looked like and if he was wearing a cap. She looked at me like I was crazy and said, 'He's the black guy'. We all got a great laugh out of that!

Rockhound
07-03-2009, 13:38
I'm sure quite a few of you have met August also.

Tractor
07-03-2009, 13:39
Over the years some of my deeply-tanned-at-birth friends have stated they have some concern that they might walk into a batch of dudes with white pointy hats. I have yet to see any bunches of dudes with white pointy hats (on or near the trail) but have encountered a few pale fellows in jeans on 4wheelers who just might change into sheets on weekends?? Have also had similar experiences as Leeki when discussing such as hiking.

Otherwise, I don't have a problem with skin color unless it's maybe green or blue then there may be a problem I cannot be of much help or comfort.

Homer&Marje
07-03-2009, 13:46
Yes. Take a look at major league baseball and NHL and Nascar. I'm not saying it's wrong, it is what it is. The opportunity is there, it's just that some ethnic groups don't care to participate in those activities. So be it, and we shoudn't try to have a "quota" of any athlete in any sport. If you want to play, bring your game, but if what you are implying is that there is some discrimination involved, in my opinion you are wrong. I have many African American friends and all of them think I am crazy for sleeping in the woods and walking all day and smelling like you know what when I get through with a section.

Personally I thought there were lots of african american baseball players.

""Singing"" "One of these things is not like the other"

Marje is from El Salvador...we get funny looks:D

Bearpaw
07-03-2009, 13:48
Otherwise, I don't have a problem with skin color unless it's maybe green or blue then there may be a problem I cannot be of much help or comfort.

All Marines are green upon birth at Parris Island or San Diego. Only a few lucky navy blue types get to become green...

Red Hat
07-03-2009, 13:52
In 2003 I met a black gentleman outside Delaware Water Gap, but didn't get his name. In 2004 I met Sarge in Hiawassee. In 2005 I hiked with both August and VisionQuest. She finished that year, August finished last year. I don't think long distance hiking has anything to do with skin color. It is more about finding the means to hike long term.

Tractor
07-03-2009, 13:55
Aw, I was thinking hue, as of one a might sickly. Those with the positive & rightly earned colors are a different breed indeed.

Jeff
07-03-2009, 13:57
Taj Mahal was the first guest of Green Mountain House in 2009....hiking from Duncannon to Katahdin. He was in Manchester, VT May 31st.

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=447944

Tractor
07-03-2009, 14:02
Taj Mahal! Awesome! Learn something new everyday. Love it.

Mags
07-03-2009, 14:05
Hiking (along with running, adventure racing, skiing, etc.) is not so much a white person's sport as a college educated and middle class person's recreation. At this time, the majority of people who fall into this category tend to be white, and usually are second generation or more college graduates.

Somewhere buried on this website is a discussion with a link that breaks down the users of the AT not just by racial background, but also by age, level of education, etc.

Here is the HUGE study (18 mb)

http://nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/gtr/gtr_ne276/gtr_ne276.pdf

If you take into account the amount of people who are currently attending college as well as people who graduated college, the percentage of AT users who are college educated is staggering.

My own theory is that the color spectrum of outdoor recreation users may change a little as more minorities become educated beyond high school.

(And for anecdotal evidence, in my own family, my cousins and I are all first generation college students. The family thinks I am nuts to go backpacking on weekends..never mind for weeks at a time. :D)

blue07
07-03-2009, 14:07
I was asking myself that same question (one being interested in how different people have their views). Did come across North Star in '07 right before Hot Springs. She ended up getting off b/c she couldn't handle the isolation. Also met JD in VA somewhere. He was in great shape and flew down the trail. Not sure if he was thru or section hiking that year.
But a close friend (who's black) told me I was crazy going out into the woods for 6 months - all those bears and snakes. Funny line she told me when our company was going on a cruise and asked why she wasn't going. She said "Blaine, black people and water don't mix. I ain't going on no boat!"

ShelterLeopard
07-03-2009, 14:08
It is true- I have only ever met one black person in all my time on the trail (a really cool guy from British Ghana), and he was just out for two days. Why don't black people come hiking???

Nean
07-03-2009, 14:10
Taj Mahal was the first guest of Green Mountain House in 2009....hiking from Duncannon to Katahdin. He was in Manchester, VT May 31st.

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=447944

If he is Taj Mahal then I'm Bob Dylan! :D

BTW Bearpaw, I wanted to be a Marine.... but I passed my test.:(:p

The short answer to the Question is No. ....maybe moody blue:eek:

Rain Man
07-03-2009, 14:45
For what it's worth, on my 77-mile section hike last month, from James River to Rockfish Gap in VA, I met at least five African-American hikers, and those were just the ones southbound. Could have been others northbound ahead or behind me and I would have never seen them. I also hiked one day with a Hispanic (from the D.R.) NOBO thru-hiker. Great guy.

Rain:sunMan

Chaco Taco
07-03-2009, 14:50
So when did hiking become a sport? :rolleyes:

leeki pole
07-03-2009, 15:20
Again in the words of my favorite tennis player, John McEnroe;
"You cannot be serious!" Happy 4th to everybody, and I've got a Williams winning Wimbledon. :p

Rockhound
07-03-2009, 15:48
Mother (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0455028/): Navin, it's your birthday, and it's time you knew. You're not our natural-born child.
Navin R. Johnson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000188/): I'm not? You mean I'm gonna STAY this color?

Rockhound
07-03-2009, 15:51
NASCAR and the NHL sure. Seems to me there might be a few African Americans that play professional baseball though.

LIhikers
07-03-2009, 17:23
Let me suggest you hike in NY's Harriman State Park on any Sunday. There's an awful lot of Asian folks out in the woods then, maybe even a majority.

Pedaling Fool
07-03-2009, 17:28
Let me suggest you hike in NY's Harriman State Park on any Sunday. There's an awful lot of Asian folks out in the woods then, maybe even a majority.
In other words, you got to do more physical hiking and less cyber hiking.:D

Rockhound
07-03-2009, 17:38
Takin' lots of pictures are they?

Speakeasy
07-03-2009, 17:43
I am black. Not of African American descent but of Cape Verdean descent (betcha wont see many of us on the trail). I am college educated, I hike, snowboard, ski, run and a number of other sporting activities. I hate basketball and love hockey. I became involved in sports in high school and don't feel my participation has anything to do with my level of education but of my own personal interests and preferences. Of course, I grew up in upper class white suburbia.... :cool:

There is already a pretty lengthy thread posted by Everdayjourneyman regarding this subject in case you are interested...I'm just happy that there's other people who share my interest of any outdoor activity regardless of their race, gender, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, nationality or ethnicity:banana

Speakeasy

Pedaling Fool
07-03-2009, 17:46
I am black. Not of African American descent but of Cape Verdean descent (betcha wont see many of us on the trail). I am college educated, I hike, snowboard, ski, run and a number of other sporting activities. I hate basketball and love hockey. I became involved in sports in high school and don't feel my participation has anything to do with my level of education but of my own personal interests and preferences. Of course, I grew up in upper class white suburbia.... :cool:

There is already a pretty lengthy thread posted by Everdayjourneyman regarding this subject in case you are interested...I'm just happy that there's other people who share my interest of any outdoor activity regardless of their race, gender, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, nationality or ethnicity:banana

Speakeasy
Well said.

Speakeasy
07-03-2009, 17:56
Oh, just in case you were not aware: not all black people are African American:D

johnnybgood
07-03-2009, 18:14
I never see any Africans American's on the trail. I seen 1 Asian American. Is my perception wrong?
I wouldn't say never....just a disproportionate number that don't.

I have asked black friends at work the question of why there isn't more interest in hiking among their race , and the answer goes something like this, " What is there to do other than camp in the woods".

In other words , most non cacasions are not introduced to hiking & camping at an early age and therefore are not exposed to the pleasures of it all.

This is my take on what I have seen which also might be different from your opinion.

Mags
07-03-2009, 18:39
Of course, I grew up in upper class white suburbia.... :cool:

..I sense a trend here. :sun

re: Cape Verde

I used to work with a Cape Verdean descent person back when I lived in Rhody. Of course, Rhody has the largest Cape Verdean population in the country IIRC and one of the largest Portuguese and related cultures in the country as well (heck...Fall River, Bristol, East Providence, New Bedford is one big block of Portugese descent population)

I don't miss much about Rhody, but I do miss the food.

I don't know too much of Cape Verdre Portugese food..but I do remember the Azorean Portugese food. Cultural cousins?

I used to work with a guy from the Azores. Joe used to bring in cacoila once in a while. Then there's the local bakeries with the delicious sweet bread. And one of these days I am going to make kale soup. Not much different from what my Italian grandma made with escarole, spicy meat and cannellini beans.

My great-aunt (Grandma's sister) married a person whose parents came from the Azores. They ended up in Bristol. We used to see Uncle Corkie and Auntie Lucie at least once a month. Combine southern Italian cooking with Azorean Portugese and it was some kick ass cuisine....

Oddly enough, I am off to go to my friends home for dinner. Time to chow. :)

Pedaling Fool
07-03-2009, 18:47
Any given sport/activity is a product of culture, not ethnicity. Our racial differences are more an illusion than a real difference. DNA research has revealed that it is possible for you, as a whitie, to have more commonality with a black African than a white European. There is more diversity in the black races than any of the other races in the world.

My great, great, great, great....grand parents are from Africa http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352461,00.html

fiddlehead
07-03-2009, 18:56
Even more surprising to me is the lack of American Indian thru-hikers.
You'd think hiking would fit their culture well, but the ones i have talked to about it say they see it as a waste of time. go figure.

kayak karl
07-03-2009, 19:08
maybe you don't get out enough. there are many people of varying nationalities hiking.
i didn't know affirmative action was still in affect?:D

Ladytrekker
07-03-2009, 19:15
I had this same conversation the other day with a black co-worker, I am really into kayaking and in a very active large group of kayakers and we camp alot I have yet to see a black kayaking or at any campground. She told me we just don't do that type of stuff so I did not get a very difinitive answer.

Dogwood
07-03-2009, 19:32
Yes, black people hike, whether black or white people know it. Listen to Buffalo Soldier by Bob Marley. What do you think that song is about? It's about freed blacks from the south joining up with the army, traveling, hiking, and increasing westward expansion, often developing farms and ranching along the way.

mweinstone
07-03-2009, 19:37
staff sargent snyder, sargent romano and sargent latyolays taught platoon 3015 their are no black marines. when a kid stood up for his being black, sarge said ,"their are no black mariens, just green and dark green" i like that. the kid may not have. serial is so frikkin black hes like 3000 black guys melted down into one super computer black guy. how many hikers only know serial and august as their only two black hikeing friends. me. black . black. black. black.
if i were black i would buy clothes different colors than i do now. like i hate black tee shirts. but if i had me some black, well i would look fine in one. and if i wanted to be black i could. i could pay a doctor to change me. like mike. lol.

johnnybgood
07-03-2009, 19:40
Yes, black people hike, whether black or white people know it. Listen to Buffalo Soldier by Bob Marley. What do you think that song is about? It's about freed blacks from the south joining up with the army, traveling, hiking, and increasing westward expansion, often developing farms and ranching along the way.
This is relevant to the days of slavery and speaks only to that period in our history.

Erin
07-03-2009, 20:14
On our section, the majority were white, but we ran into one African American several times. He had just gotten home from serving in Iraq and was attempting a thru. I wish I could remember his trail name. We remembered how friendly he was and that he was very fit and very tall. This is around the time we met Sir Privywinks on the trail and saw Chuck Norri and Tigger?, Copperhead, Blue Dog, Cum Shot, so they may remember this guy. This was in 2007 around Jerry Cabin in late April. We see a few but not many hiking here, but our population here is tiny on minorities.

Dogwood
07-03-2009, 20:23
This is relevant to the days of slavery and speaks only to that period in our history.

While I think it's true to say more blacks were hiking westward, or just hiking, during recent post-slavery days, my point is that blacks have traditionally hiked, but sometimes forget their history as they started to associate themselves and congregate with large populations of blacks in inner city areas. And, whenever I start to speak about a certain nationality, color, or creed I try not to forget that what people of that nationality, color, or creed have a habit of culturally doing in this country it may not hold for how they act in another land. For example, how blacks behave in America, is not necessarily an example of how indigenous blacks behave in Kenya.

Speakeasy
07-03-2009, 20:39
Sigh. At the risk of sounding redundant, not all black people are of African American descent.

Mags - The Republic of Cape Verde, comprised of 10 islands and 5 islets was under the Portugese flag until 1975 when it attained its independence...The food rocks as I remember, the recipes passed along with my mom in 2002.

CowHead
07-03-2009, 21:36
Like I said I just observing what I seen. But this is great I'm trying to convince my foster son who is African American to go with me. He's 23 but may the statement "black people don't hike." So I explained that his statement is false but I needed proof. Thanks all for not making this a race thing. Does anyone know if they kept a trail journal online?

CowHead
07-03-2009, 21:38

My son's see everything as a sport if it requires physical energy to do.

Speakeasy
07-03-2009, 21:47
Hey CH - I may be wrong but I think you may have gotten some more helpful replies if you stated that to begin with. Instead of "I saw so and so number of black people on my hike" you may have gotten more responses about peoples relationships/interactions with people of color as to why and why not they participate in certain activities. I'm glad you clarified your intentions. Not that I get "offended" per se when the subject comes up but I sort of wonder "why and what does it matter anyway?" Please don't think I'm giving you a hard time or anything just sharing my personal feelings. ;)

Regardless, Kudos to you for fostering a child - any interest in fostering a Greyhound and an Italian Greyhound when I do my thru? :banana

Sly
07-03-2009, 21:48
You see lots of hispanics on the southern portion of the PCT. Fuuny, they prefer hiking at night.

Lugnut
07-03-2009, 22:14
That's funny right there!

le loupe
07-03-2009, 22:20
Sigh. At the risk of sounding redundant, not all black people are of African American descent.

Mags - The Republic of Cape Verde, comprised of 10 islands and 5 islets was under the Portugese flag until 1975 when it attained its independence...The food rocks as I remember, the recipes passed along with my mom in 2002.

While I am white (of course) I don't like the term "african american". Its too bad we live in the PC state of confusion.

I have one friend who has corrected me that he is african-american, while another told me she's "black. I've got nothin' to do with africa."

Lugnut
07-03-2009, 22:28
While I am white (of course) I don't like the term "african american". Its too bad we live in the PC state of confusion.

I have one friend who has corrected me that he is african-american, while another told me she's "black. I've got nothin' to do with africa."

Some guy is being sued because he says he is african-american. He is white but was born in South Africa so he is technically right. All these labels are ridiculous!

CowHead
07-03-2009, 22:30
Hey CH - I may be wrong but I think you may have gotten some more helpful replies if you stated that to begin with. Instead of "I saw so and so number of black people on my hike" you may have gotten more responses about peoples relationships/interactions with people of color as to why and why not they participate in certain activities. I'm glad you clarified your intentions. Not that I get "offended" per se when the subject comes up but I sort of wonder "why and what does it matter anyway?" Please don't think I'm giving you a hard time or anything just sharing my personal feelings. ;)

Regardless, Kudos to you for fostering a child - any interest in fostering a Greyhound and an Italian Greyhound when I do my thru? :banana

No not at all. I would watch your dog if my English setter and cocker were not so mean the only thing other than human they get along with is the cat the kicks both of their tails

CowHead
07-03-2009, 22:35

I know Ethiopians and other African folks but I was getting information for more son on the young black Americans hike just like white young Americans or green, blue, yellow or any other race, creed, orientation that maybe on this rock we call earth and that’s all folks
:banana

Wilson
07-03-2009, 22:59
I agree with your point, but there have always been Blacks at NASCAR races, back in the day they seemed to be mostly Richard Petty fans for whateverer reason.....I was at a local short track race a couple weeks ago, plenty of blacks there.

Other than dayhikers the only Blacks I've seen backpacking were Scouts.

Rockhound
07-03-2009, 23:17
It cracks me up when I see some young white kid...er...excuse me. I meant European American kid trying to act Black with the crooked cap, baggy pants around the knees with the boxers hanging out, doing the whole Ebonics rap kinda thing, sporting all that cheap fake gold plated bling. Come to think of it, it kind of cracks me up when I see the African American....er.... I mean black kids doing it too. Maybe I'm just too white..er..European American to get it. I also know, being "crackers", we (Whitey) lost our N word privlidges long ago, but could someone please explain the difference when you substitute the ER at the end of that word with an A.

Speakeasy
07-03-2009, 23:19
I know Ethiopians and other African folks but I was getting information for more son on the young black Americans hike just like white young Americans or green, blue, yellow or any other race, creed, orientation that maybe on this rock we call earth and that’s all folks
:banana

Well, good luck with your endeavor. It would be nice to see you and your foster son on the trail. Take comfort it the fact that at 23 we really were not all that wealthy in the brain cell department - he'll come around, it will probably take a dozen or so years;)

As too political correctedness, it follows a similar path that many of our societies great ideas tend to take: We let it evolve to such an extreme that eventually we are beating, yet another, dead horse....:cool:

slow
07-04-2009, 00:03
All Marines are green upon birth at Parris Island or San Diego. Only a few lucky navy blue types get to become green...

Marines move in get cut down...and the Army moves in ...fact of US life.

SunnyWalker
07-04-2009, 01:32
I have seen many other folks hiking: Asian, Black, Hispanic, etc., but that is in TX and NM. When I section hiked a year or so ago through GA on AT I did not observe racial diversity, other than caucasian, that I was aware of.

mixinmaster
07-04-2009, 08:09
Regardless of the reason/reasons, the absolute truth is that backpacking is an activity pursued mainly by Caucasians. Although countless instances exist of persons from a variety of other ethnic groups enjoying the activity, the fact remains that many outdoor activities and sports are white heavy. Among those are skiing, whitewater paddling, climbing, hang gliding, and car camping. The reasons may very well be debated, but the facts remain the same.

ZeroC
07-04-2009, 09:36
Well first you have to take into account the in the US blacks make up 13% of the population, so right there statistically there are going to be less black hikers. Then you have to take into account that of that population 25% live below the poverty line (compared to 9% of whites and 12% of the country as a whole) and are probably too concerned about feeding their families and/or surviving to introduce their kids to hiking/nature/camping. Then tack on the second/third, etc... generations that never did that as well so they'll never take their kids either, considering that blacks in their country were heavily oppressed not to long ago that number will be pretty high. So for the most part they only black people who go hiking/camping are those who were in scouts as kids or decided one day just to try it on their own. So in the end it's a huge statistical handicap, unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

Then lastly there's a bit of racial stigma, as mentioned before the black person that said "black people don't hike," that race plays a part in what activities you can and can't do, it's pretty stupid but it's the way it is.

Lemni Skate
07-04-2009, 09:58
I don't see many African Americans on the trail, but I followed the trail log of one African American lady on the trail (she eventually had to drop off) and one of the unfortunate things she had to face was hitch-hiking. She simply could not get anyone to pick her up unless she was hitch-hiking with white friends.

Around where I am (Shenandoah National Park) I've seen hundreds (literally) of Asian Americans but they're almost always day-hiking.

I teach school and I talk about the trail and thru-hikers a lot. I've had a lot of kids seem to get fired up about the trail, but never any African American kids. I don't know the reasons for all of this as I'm not a sociologist (and I don't believe in sociology a whole lot anyway), but it's interesting to observe and wonder about.

Hangman
07-04-2009, 10:18
This man could hike ran into him in the Smokeys and again at trail days in 07. http://trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=227913

MOWGLI
07-04-2009, 10:19
I teach school and I talk about the trail and thru-hikers a lot. I've had a lot of kids seem to get fired up about the trail, but never any African American kids. I don't know the reasons for all of this as I'm not a sociologist (and I don't believe in sociology a whole lot anyway), but it's interesting to observe and wonder about.

It's cultural IMO. If one of the past African American thru-hikers wrote a book about their experience, and portrayed the trail in a positive light, there is a strong likelihood that more black folks would give it a go.

soad
07-04-2009, 10:21
NASCAR and the NHL sure. Seems to me there might be a few African Americans that play professional baseball though.

You would be surprised by how few African-Americans are in MLB. The VAST majority of non-caucasians in MLB are Latinos or of Latin decent. Baseball is much more diverse than NACSAR and the NHL but it dose lack in the specific category of African-Americans.

Pedaling Fool
07-04-2009, 10:47
Anyone who believes that hiking is intrinsically a "white activity" simply because most hikers are white needs to educate themselves on the foxnews website.

Here's a link to all Evolution and Paleontology articles under the SCITECH section http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/evolution/index.html

Rockhound
07-04-2009, 11:27
Educate on Fox news. ROTF LMAO. John that is just too funny. Stop it. Your killing me. LOLOLOLOLOL. Frickin' hilarious. Educate and Fox news in the same sentence.

Rockhound
07-04-2009, 11:32
You would be surprised by how few African-Americans are in MLB. The VAST majority of non-caucasians in MLB are Latinos or of Latin decent. Baseball is much more diverse than NACSAR and the NHL but it dose lack in the specific category of African-Americans.
8.4% of MLB players are African American. That is a drop from previous years but still accounts for quite a few players.

Speakeasy
07-04-2009, 11:51
Anyone who believes that hiking is intrinsically a "white activity" simply because most hikers are white needs to educate themselves on the foxnews website.

Here's a link to all Evolution and Paleontology articles under the SCITECH section http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/evolution/index.html

Indeed, the two seem to be mutually exclusive:p Of course, that is just my humble opinion (as all my opinions are humble)

Perhaps I'l write an account of my experience - provided I'm able to hitch into towns for resupply:D

mixinmaster
07-04-2009, 12:17
"Roughing it" is too close to what many African American and Hispanic people are trying to get away from. Sleeping on the ground, walking long distances and eating ramen noodles might be a sore spot that brings back unpleasant memories. They might not see any enjoyment in it.

Speakeasy
07-04-2009, 12:25
"Roughing it" is too close to what many African American and Hispanic people are trying to get away from. Sleeping on the ground, walking long distances and eating ramen noodles might be a sore spot that brings back unpleasant memories. They might not see any enjoyment in it.

Well, hopefully if they are American these are not their memories. If so, shame on us...

Of course my parents "walked to school with no shoes uphill - both ways":banana

Nearly Normal
07-04-2009, 12:55
Educate on Fox news. ROTF LMAO. John that is just too funny. Stop it. Your killing me. LOLOLOLOLOL. Frickin' hilarious. Educate and Fox news in the same sentence.

That's awesome!
When you get to be a grown dog you might think different or at least think.

Nearly Normal
07-04-2009, 13:16
http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/07/02/cable-news-ratings-for-wednesday-july-1-2009/22007#more-22007

Speakeasy
07-04-2009, 13:24
NN - Very cool. And therein lies the problem. I'm a MSNBC fan myself...

le loupe
07-04-2009, 13:47
8.4% of MLB players are African American. That is a drop from previous years but still accounts for quite a few players.

If 63 players is "quite a few" ...

Dogwood
07-04-2009, 15:28

It may be redundant, but I think you have touched on something that I think needs to be emphasized again. The way African Americans generally behave and live is not the way all blacks worlwide live. And, again, not all black people are of African/American descendants. And, not all Europeans are caucasians. Likewise everyone who lives in Isreal doesn't follow Judaism or everyone in Iran or Iraq follow Islam.

Cabin Fever
07-04-2009, 19:29
Yes. Take a look at major league baseball...

When was the last time you watched an MLB game? It predominantly Latin American. They play baseball like we play Wii.

Lone Wolf
07-04-2009, 19:31
It predominantly Latin American. They play baseball like we play Wii.

most ain't Americans. they're Dominicans

Cabin Fever
07-04-2009, 19:42
most ain't Americans. they're Dominicans

That classifies as Latin American which would be anyone not from the US or Canada but still from North America.

Pedaling Fool
07-04-2009, 20:04
This thing about continents is just taken too far. Dominican Republic is an Island. And don't get me started on the continents of Europe and Asia -- it's all the same land mass, not even a little isthmus separating them like north and south America, it's all the same land mass.

Gray Blazer
07-04-2009, 20:17
I see a lot of americans on the AT.

Speakeasy
07-04-2009, 20:23
That classifies as Latin American which would be anyone not from the US or Canada but still from North America.

Um. I think he means they ain't American, they are Dominican

CowHead
07-04-2009, 20:55
see what happens when you ask a question...Found some great info on black hikers and my foster sons is now considering it.. thanks all

Speakeasy
07-04-2009, 21:27
Great! - That's all that matters anyway:banana

Speer Carrier
07-04-2009, 23:01
There were at least 2 black folks on the trail in 08. But, when my best friend (who is black) found out I wanted to walk through the woods for 6 months his response was "Man, you white people just ain't right". :-?

I know what you mean. My granddaughter's boyfriend is African American, and when he heard I was doing 5 weeks on the AT, he looked at me, and said,"Are you nuts".

ed bell
07-05-2009, 00:08
see what happens when you ask a question...Found some great info on black hikers and my foster sons is now considering it.. thanks allGood, that settles it. End of thread.:)