PDA

View Full Version : Stealth wearable quilt on the PCT

High Life
07-03-2009, 15:06
been thinking of using this . ...
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Wearable%20Quilts.htm

1azarus
07-03-2009, 17:43
JRB makes wonderful things. Can't go wrong.

Dogwood
07-03-2009, 19:39
Looks like it would work on the PCT, but wouldn't wear it extensively while traveling through all the prickly scratchy gotcha chaparral of the Mojave desert or the abrasive rocky areas of the Sierras.

High Life
07-03-2009, 21:59
Looks like it would work on the PCT, but wouldn't wear it extensively while traveling through all the prickly scratchy gotcha chaparral of the Mojave desert or the abrasive rocky areas of the Sierras.

the idea would be wear it like you would any piece of insulation
and also it would be my sleeping bag :D
the stealth is supposed to be for moderate temps.
so i dont know if its warm enough
i will probably chicken out
and get something conventional
in the end . just tossing the idea around

1azarus
07-04-2009, 07:42
call 'em up and talk to the Jacks about it.

peter_pan
07-04-2009, 08:57
call 'em up and talk to the Jacks about it.

Good advice...:-?

BTW, that quilt also comes as a 25* No Sniveller, and a 0-10* Rocky Mountain Sniveller.... no need to be cold.

Pan

Dogwood
07-04-2009, 15:55
the idea would be wear it like you would any piece of insulation
and also it would be my sleeping bag :D
the stealth is supposed to be for moderate temps.
so i dont know if its warm enough
i will probably chicken out
and get something conventional
in the end . just tossing the idea around

Nothing wrong with tossing around new ideas. That's often how we learn to grow.

Here's another idea. If you are currently in the double/triple duty UL mentality have you considered a 1/2 - 3/4 length sleeping bag, like those made by Nunatak, coupled with wearing an insulating jacket and hat for sleeping?

hikingtime
07-04-2009, 16:11
Multi use can often be a good idea, but the Nunatak and the Wearable Quilt just aren't very practical in my experience.

lvleph
07-04-2009, 20:10
Multi use can often be a good idea, but the Nunatak and the Wearable Quilt just aren't very practical in my experience.
I have been been in the low 30s with mine, but I am a warm sleeper.

High Life
07-05-2009, 21:43
those are both good ideas thanks .. i think for the pad im gonna go with a neoair 3/4
which is the small .. reason for that is sciatica .. i dont want to mess my hip up
hip up hip up hip up hip up say it 10 X fast ....

Guy
07-09-2009, 08:37
I don't have any experience with the wearable quilt, but it seems to me that you'd have to clean it more often than you would with a dedicated sleeping bag/quilt. Wearing it while hiking will cause it to lose loft because of all the sweat and dirt it will be exposed to.

Not that it couldn't work out great. Just something to consider.

Johnny Swank
07-09-2009, 09:49
I'd rock one for late spring - late fall trips, where I might wear an insulated jacket an hour a day at most. That place a DriClime jacket could cover alot of ground.

http://sourcetosea.net/marmot-driclime-windshirt-review/

High Life
07-10-2009, 11:20
I'd rock one for late spring - late fall trips, where I might wear an insulated jacket an hour a day at most. That place a DriClime jacket could cover alot of ground.

http://sourcetosea.net/marmot-driclime-windshirt-review/

johnny one of the best pieces ever made .. ive been using one for years ..

ok so ive been doing some reading , Francis tapon ( who did the first CDT yoyo ) used a no snivler ( rocky mt. sniv.) i think its a great idea .
as far as getting it dirty .. well id really only want to wear it in camp while cooking or when i first wake up .. other than that i dont expect to wear it while hiking .. thats what the dri-climb is for .. :D

checkout www.francistapon.com dude is nuts

peter_pan
07-11-2009, 00:10
johnny one of the best pieces ever made .. ive been using one for years ..

ok so ive been doing some reading , Francis tapon ( who did the first CDT yoyo ) used a no snivler ( rocky mt. sniv.) i think its a great idea .
as far as getting it dirty .. well id really only want to wear it in camp while cooking or when i first wake up .. other than that i dont expect to wear it while hiking .. thats what the dri-climb is for .. :D

checkout www.francistapon.com dude is nuts

You are right about Francis Tapon.... Actually he started with a No sniveller, normally rated to 25*.... after 4 nights at plus 10,000 ft in Mar he called JRB with an urgent requst for single digit capability.... The Rocky Mountain Sniveller was born that night for Francis.... It was made available for the general public on the day he completed his CDT YOYO.... Some field test.

Pan

High Life
07-11-2009, 12:11
You are right about Francis Tapon.... Actually he started with a No sniveller, normally rated to 25*.... after 4 nights at plus 10,000 ft in Mar he called JRB with an urgent requst for single digit capability.... The Rocky Mountain Sniveller was born that night for Francis.... It was made available for the general public on the day he completed his CDT YOYO.... Some field test.

Pan

after reading it's come down to three .. but always ends up at jacks R better
because of the duel use as a poncho .. the other two
WM's ultralite , Golite's Ultra 20 & jack's No sniv

WM is so expensive but very nice , the ultra 20 looks great too , but
jacks is looking like the best UL option :cool:

High Life
07-11-2009, 12:14
now hmmm if i could only get sponsers like Francis .. he he he he ..
anyone listening ?????