Hi - Here my current clothing list for any early March NOBO start:

Patagonia Cap 3 top and bottom 1.6oz
TNF 100wt fleece 9.0
extra socks (2 pair) 4.9
Marmot DriClime Windshirt 9.0
Montbell UL Down Inner 7.3
Baclava and Fleece glove liners 3.0
Frogg Toggs 21.2

Here is my problem. I just ordered and received a Ground Traverse rain jacket to replace my Frogg Toggs because they are bulky and uncomfortable. It weighs 16oz so I ordered convertibles to try and save some weight. This rain jacket is somewhat insulated in that it has a fleecy type lining. I'm wondering if maybe I should eliminate either the fleece or the down inner. I want to be warm enough but I don't want to carry an unnecessary amount of clothing. I know it's kind of a silly question but I'm interested others layering systems...:-?

Thank You;)

Speakeasy

Blissful
07-03-2009, 21:37
You don't need a fleece liner if you have a fleece jacket and a down jacket. Overkill. I'd keep the Montbell UL Down inner and just carry a rain shell.

I'd carry three pr socks (that includes the one you're wearing though).

Need a beanie hat.

What are you hiking in?

Speakeasy
07-03-2009, 21:55
Good idea. I'll keep the down and loose the fleece. I guess now I'm onto my 3rd rain jacket;). I'm thinking Marmot Precip. I have a baclava and I'm wearing:

TNF Convertible shorts
EMS Techwick t
baseball cap
darn tough socks (with 2 spare pairs)
Keen Trail Runners
maybe short gaiters, maybe not

Speakeasy
07-03-2009, 21:58
Although... the Ground Traverse has a nice hood and huge pit zips - will it still be too warm?

Blissful
07-03-2009, 22:04
I took a Marmot precip the whole hike. Sorry, don't know anything about the other jacket.

T-shirt to hike will get cold sometimes. Recommned also a long sleeve merino wool shirt you can hike in. They work great.

Speakeasy
07-03-2009, 23:01
Problem solved. I just cut the liner, a useless pocket and the hood of the jacket and it has gone from about a pound and a half to uner 13oz. It may seem stupid to lose the hood but I HATE hoods and never ever use them. So, should I get rid of the fleece or down inner? Maybe I'll keep the down until Pearlsburg and then switch back to the fleece until the Whites...

Speakeasy
07-03-2009, 23:02
The merino doesn't get too hot? Do you mean like a midweight smartwool?

River Runner
07-07-2009, 03:22
Hi - Here my current clothing list for any early March NOBO start:

Patagonia Cap 3 top and bottom 1.6oz
TNF 100wt fleece 9.0
extra socks (2 pair) 4.9
Marmot DriClime Windshirt 9.0
Montbell UL Down Inner 7.3
Baclava and Fleece glove liners 3.0
Frogg Toggs 21.2

Here is my problem. I just ordered and received a Ground Traverse rain jacket to replace my Frogg Toggs because they are bulky and uncomfortable. It weighs 16oz so I ordered convertibles to try and save some weight. This rain jacket is somewhat insulated in that it has a fleecy type lining. I'm wondering if maybe I should eliminate either the fleece or the down inner. I want to be warm enough but I don't want to carry an unnecessary amount of clothing. I know it's kind of a silly question but I'm interested others layering systems...:-?

Thank You;)

Speakeasy

I'd lose the windshirt. A good breathable rain jacket will perform more or less the same function.

Here is an example of a 3-season system for me:

Wearing - wool T-shirt or tank & zip-off pants while hiking. In cooler weather I might add a Backpacking light long sleeve Thorofare shirt, or I might wear a long sleeve wool shirt.

In my pack are a light weight long sleeve wool shirt, light weight wool base layer pants, a down or synthetic insulated jacket (usually down, unless I expect a lot of rain), synthetic insulated pants (Backpacking Light Cocoon model), a wool or fleece beanie, 1 extra pair undies, 1 extra pair socks, and polypro gloves. If I were starting a thru hike in March, I'd add a pair of wool arm warmers, a fleece chest warmer, and a pair of fleece gloves that will fit over the thinner polypro gloves.

I like the insulated pants and jackets as part of my sleeping system too, so I can carry a lighter quilt and still wear some of my warmth when I get up on cold mornings, as well as having something warm for around camp in the evening while I'm cooking, resting, etc.

I also carry a light weight rain jacket & rain pants or rain chaps most of the time.