PDA

View Full Version : MSR Pocket Rocket - Fuel Amounts

daveait
07-03-2009, 18:16
Hello - I'm going to be camping for about 10 days with no resupplies. Only using the Pocket Rocket to boil enough water once per day for a single freeze dried meal. Anybody have experience on how much fuel I will need

Thanks -

Mrs Baggins
07-03-2009, 19:24
I used mine on a 5 day hike in the Smokies. I boiled water for coffee every morning (enough for two small cups) and water for a Lipton noodle/rice meal every evening. My canister was pretty much empty by the 5th morning. I always covered the pot to get the water to boil faster. For 10 days and not much cooking I'd take 2 of the small canisters along.

Blissful
07-03-2009, 21:50
I don't know, I took a small jetboil canister and it lasted 7 days, no problem (I also use a pot cozy and I also cooked). If in doubt though, take the bigger size.
I think Jetboil or snowpeak lasts longer than MSR.

BackTrack1
07-03-2009, 22:42
i used mine for coffee in the morning and to boil water at night for dinner and the large canister lasted me 10 days on the long trail.

Jim Adams
07-04-2009, 02:12
usually a large cannister will last me 10-14 days with 1 boiling per day.

geek

fiddlehead
07-04-2009, 03:57
I agree, one big one is enough most likely.
I usually figure 5 days on a small one but i'm pretty frugal with my fuel. (turn off stove as soon as dinner reaches a boil and wait 10 minutes for one thing)
You can always build a fire if you run out (except in CT)

gearfreak
07-04-2009, 08:57
Figure about ten minutes of burn for every ounce of fuel. This varies with stove type and whether you're just boiling water or simmering a meal, but I find it to be a pretty reliable guage. Also, if you're counting ounces carrying the large canister instead of two small works out in your favor. :cool: