PDA

View Full Version : Question on water?

CowHead
07-03-2009, 22:39
How much water does everyone consume over a 10 to 15 mile hike?

Lone Wolf
07-03-2009, 22:41
2 quarts or so

waywardfool
07-03-2009, 22:46
That's a big "it depends". Season, temps, humidity, load, many other things will affect how much water you need or want. Experience is the only way you'll find out what you need, for the way you hike. I'm assuming your are talking a single 10-15 mile day on a multi-day hike , or a dayhike, out for 1 day. Either way, I usually count on 2 full quarts. Depending on water in the area, sometimes will start out with 1 quart and refill (filter/treat/whatever) at a water source along the trail.

There's nothing like running out of water on a hot day. :(

ShelterLeopard
07-03-2009, 23:26
That totally depends- I did 19 miles one day, and I had two liters. I had thought it would be 15 miles, but the trail was relocated and they added on four miles, and missed a spring I had been counting on. The last five miles was sheer hell- I get dehydrated really easily, and once I realized that I had four more miles to go, and only 6 oz of water left, I rationed it, but I was already beginning to get dehydrated by then. (Sorry if I'm rambling, by the way) Anyway, long story short, it was hot and I had that terrible descent into Lehigh Gap going SoBo, and it was awful. So I'd bring at least 3 liters, maybe more if it's hot and you aren't sure about water sources- it all depends on your body.

(The whole mixup was my fault though- stupidly I was using a 1989 trail guide.)

Rockhound
07-03-2009, 23:40
Guess I'm part camel but i don't feel the need to consume nearly as much water as the average hiker. when i tell people i can go 20 miles on a Nalgene they look at me like I'm crazy. Actually they do that anyway. Of course very hot days, steep inclines etc.. I'll drink more. Overall there are 3 factors to consider. Terrain, weather, and an individuals' physiology. A couple of quarts every 15 miles is a good average though.

excuses
07-04-2009, 00:28
terrain and time of year, usually 2-3 liters

CowHead
07-04-2009, 08:55
that's about what i'm drinking and at first I was wondering if it was to much, when I stop for lunch and night, I drink as much as I can. thanks for the answers folks

Summit
07-04-2009, 09:12
Agree with Pebble Puppy and CowHead. When it's not particularly hot, I have, on many days, gone all day on one liter of water. I hydrate my body back up in camp, drinking 2-3 liters flavored with Crystal Lite Ice Tea and coffee.

Slack-jawed Trog
07-04-2009, 12:08
I'm a bit of a high-mileage clunker, and real thirsty. Last Saturday I backpacked approx. 12 miles and drank 4 liters. I guess I get about 3 miles/liter, YMMV. ;)

modiyooch
07-04-2009, 13:16
1-12 miles I carry 1 liter; 12-20 miles I carry 2 liters. I always try to drink as much as I can before I start.

I never try to conserve my water. If my body needs it, I go ahead and drink it.

daddytwosticks
07-04-2009, 13:28
Last weekend, I hiked from Stecoah Gap south to Sassafras Gap shelter...maybe about 7 miles? Hot and humid but had a light pack (maybe 22-23 pounds). Consumed over three liters of water. I'm a heavy sweater...:)

Walking Dead
07-04-2009, 13:46
Last weekend in the Shining Rock Wilderness - 8 miles, 2.5 liters - I love cold mountain streams

modiyooch
07-04-2009, 14:26
What I don't understand is that I just ran 6 miles in the heat and required no water along the way. Do we need more water while hiking because it takes 3x as long?

hikingtime
07-04-2009, 15:02
I guess I'm a lot different than you guys. On a 20 mile hike, in warm but not hot weather, I will drink about 4 quarts.

soad
07-04-2009, 21:40
What I don't understand is that I just ran 6 miles in the heat and required no water along the way. Do we need more water while hiking because it takes 3x as long?

How long did that run take you? About an hour +/-? Most anyone can go an hour without water regardless of what they are doing. 15-20 miles can be 7-10 hours. Can't compare the two.

bigcranky
07-04-2009, 21:40
I sweat like the proverbial pig. I'll easily drink 4-5 liters on a summer day while hiking. I try to drink one liter before hitting the trail, then just keep drinking (and snacking) while I hike. I'll only carry 1-2 liters, unless I know there is no water supply along the way.

Ol Mole
07-05-2009, 06:55
For 10-15 miles I will drink 3-4 quarts depending on westher, terain and physical health at the time. I have found that the more water I drink, the better I feel and am able to hike further with more energy. Dehydration produces for me headaches and a feeling of exhaustion. I do not mind the extra weight because I carry a light pack to begin with.

Hoop Time
07-05-2009, 08:29
I always try to drink as much as I can before I start.

An excellent point. Being well hydrated before you start any activity is essential. You cannot "catch up" just drinking when you get thirsty after you start activity, especially in hot weather.

MintakaCat
07-05-2009, 09:09
In the winter it's amazing to me how little I drink. I often have to remind myself to drink more water when its cold.

Wise Old Owl
07-05-2009, 09:13
I camel up and then take a quart. If its a mild day 6 oz. On anything other than the AT less than 10 miles I dumped the pack entirely.

blue07
07-05-2009, 17:31
On average, I carried 2 liters with me. As mentioned above, might need more on the hotter days and source availability. I'm a big fan of cameling up before the walk starts in the morning. I'd drink 1.5-2 liters and would be good with an occasional sip till lunch. If lunch was near a water source, then camel up again. Surprisingly, I didn't have to pee every 20 minutes, the body was just soaking it all up. But even though all this water was being consumed, the pee still had a dark color (sign of dehydration). IMO - Drink as much as you can, when you can.

mister krabs
07-05-2009, 18:23
In the summer in GA, I can drink a quart an hour and still get dehydrated. Gotta keep the sodium intake up when doing that.

vamelungeon
07-05-2009, 18:40
On average, I carried 2 liters with me. As mentioned above, might need more on the hotter days and source availability. I'm a big fan of cameling up before the walk starts in the morning. I'd drink 1.5-2 liters and would be good with an occasional sip till lunch. If lunch was near a water source, then camel up again. Surprisingly, I didn't have to pee every 20 minutes, the body was just soaking it all up. But even though all this water was being consumed, the pee still had a dark color (sign of dehydration). IMO - Drink as much as you can, when you can.

If it's really humid, I can drink 2 liters in nothing flat. I agree on getting over-hydrated beforehand. I've got a 2 liter pack bladder and a two liter jug I carry. I know it's a lot of weight, but then I've run out and gotten bad cramps from dehydration when a spring was dry. I'd rather go hungry and sleep out in the weather than run out of water.

As I've gotten older, I'm finding that drinking too much Gatorade is causing, or at least contributing to, my ankles and hands swelling. Gatorade helps dehydration but makes edema worse.

ike1985
07-17-2009, 12:39
How much water does everyone consume over a 10 to 15 mile hike?

I drink a full camel back the big one by then end of the day