He starts today: http://eco-xsports.blogspot.com/
Good Luck Horty

Lone Wolf
07-04-2009, 07:42
he'll set the record

fiddlehead
07-04-2009, 10:51
I have my doubts on this one.
That record is tough and he is getting old.
Didn't he get lost last time out?

fiddlehead
07-04-2009, 10:57
I wish him the best of luck though.

JJJ
07-04-2009, 11:47
At 55 miles per day, he'd have a good cushion against 8:12:14:05. 16m/M x 15hr per day would do it.
I think he's won Hardrock a couple of times, so he knows what the neighbor is like.
Plus he's a Barkley finisher.
There's a lot of 10,000+ ft on the trail, but he's been out there a few weeks training, that helps I suppose.
A lot can go wrong,
but I wouldn't bet money against him.

hikingtime
07-04-2009, 15:19
I wish these guys would just hike their own hikes and stop the shameless self promotion.

Pedaling Fool
07-04-2009, 18:48
I wish these guys would just hike their own hikes and stop the shameless self promotion.
"these guys" have more class than typical thru-hikers that think they're entitled. That's why there's another thread that's 8 pages (and growing) about shtty hikers that can't clean up after themselves.

Lone Wolf
07-04-2009, 19:22

when you're badass and can walk the walk, let the world know about it :)
GO HORTY!

Blue Jay
07-04-2009, 19:31
Did he hear a who yet?

BigCat
07-05-2009, 08:13

Like any athlete I follow, I love being able to constantly check their progress. As a guy who works in social media I also love seeing the use of things like twitter to help hikers keep their loved one updated. Well done!

jeepcj258
07-05-2009, 19:36
Did he hear a who yet?

That is funny

Heater
07-05-2009, 19:45
Did he hear a who yet?

Not yet. wait a couple of months. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

ChinMusic
07-05-2009, 22:04
I see the czealand account on Twitter is suspended. Too many hits?

jersey joe
07-06-2009, 08:44
I think the odds are against anyone trying to break this type of record, but Horton certainly has the experience to get this done! I'll be rooting for him.

Mags
07-06-2009, 18:35
I

When he tried setting the CDT "record', he got lost in New Mexico on the first day.

The CT, being a well marked and defined trail is a bit more conducive to records.

We'll see what happens.

ChinMusic
07-06-2009, 18:46
czealand is up and running on Twitter.

Last night David and Travis arrived at the Copper Mtn trailhead at 10pm. It was a long day but David covered the 60.1 miles in 18 hours.
They then drove 20miles down the road to Frisco and stayed the night in a small motel.
This morning David was back on the trail shortly after 4am and JB reported that David started into Segment 9 at 12-noon MST today. Covering the first 25.4 miles today by noon means that Horty is maintaining his pace over some very tough terrain at high elevations.

Dang, I can't even begin to imagine.....

Nean
07-06-2009, 19:22
czealand is up and running on Twitter.

Dang, I can't even begin to imagine.....

I'd be interested if he stuck to the trail or took the bike path. :eek:
So many of these western records are blue blazed shortcuts.;)
I really don't care how one walks EXCEPT when it comes to records, or first... perhaps frothing from the mouth- of ones most....:rolleyes:

See: setting the bar.:-?

So what if MOST people lie and yellowblaze. Big deal. I get it, the human condition and all....:(

But are not these things different? Am I alone with these thoughts?:confused:

Lone Wolf
07-06-2009, 19:57
Horton won't shortcut

Sly
07-06-2009, 20:17
Who holds the current record?

Lone Wolf
07-06-2009, 20:24
Who holds the current record?

http://adventurerun.wordpress.com/2008/07/31/colorado-trail-new-record/

Bearpaw
07-06-2009, 20:47
I felt like I was moving pretty solidly when I thru-hiked the CT. 34 days, 23 hours or so. I took only two zeroes and the rest of the days, I was moving solidly.

Any one that can beat nine days has my respect. Being supported makes it different, you say? Not when you're churning out that sort of mileage. It's Herculean. I find it damned impressive.

Homer&Marje
07-06-2009, 22:00
Go Horton....great to see ANY attempt at a record like this....olympic in nature, true athlete.

Tinker
07-06-2009, 23:34
I have no doubt he can do it. The biggest reward for him will be the accomplishment, not the accolades.

JJJ
07-07-2009, 18:39
Horton's lookin' OK (http://cid-546cc90ec4cab769.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/More%20photos%20from%20Horton%20on%20Colorado%20Tr ail) on this one. Puttin' the hurt on some Ben & Jerry's too. :)

ChinMusic
07-07-2009, 21:52
Wait a min.....Horton uses poles? I wonder how fast he would be without the handicap.......lol

http://zbzjaw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pxhAOmE71yIrnB6bHS5tb1_CRWhiHNlw29MCfxCprSxrRs9w a3gt812pudNYvaPC1MuC203AN0NjLu0156Ip69A/DSC04278.JPG

jersey joe
07-08-2009, 13:51
64+ miles yesterday...he's gunna do it.
How old is Horton?

ChinMusic
07-08-2009, 14:49
I'm starting to see the power of Twitter. It's great seeing timely updates like this from about an hour ago:

Update for JB. #Horton (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Horton) into seg 15@11am now headed 4 marshall pass. Doing good.

ChinMusic
07-08-2009, 14:53
How old is Horton?
I'd guess late 50s. He was married in 1971 and got a BA in 72.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2009, 16:24
64+ miles yesterday...he's gunna do it.
How old is Horton?

i think he just turned 60

Lone Wolf
07-08-2009, 16:27
i think he just turned 60

he turned 59 this past february

RITBlake
07-08-2009, 22:40
Go on son, go on!

Mags
07-10-2009, 13:38
This info was posted on Montrail's FB page.

Pretty gnarly stats! :) 60 miles and 12k gain..egads!

Today is day 7 for Horton as he attempts to break the supported speed record for the Colorado Trail. He's feeling good and moving along well and on track.

Yesterday he covered segment 17, 18 and 19 over 47.9 miles and a total elevation gain of 5,320 feet as he approached the La Garita Wilderness in the San Juan mountains. Beautiful and rugged terrain.

Today is a big day for Horton, the biggest in terms of total elevation gain, as he'll cover 60.5 miles and a total elevation gain of 12,700 feet. Epic! He'll cover segments 20-23 (there are 28 segments to the Colorado Trail) and will cross three mountain passes. If all goes as planned, Horton will finish on Sunday afternoon with a new Colorado Trail speed record. Good luck Horton, hang in there, we're pulling for you.

Day 1 - 57.6 miles, 8720' elevation gain
Day 2 - 60.1 miles, 9660' elevation gain
Day 3 - 52 miles, 7900' elevation gain
Day 4 - 62.4 miles, 9760' elevation gain
Day 5 - 50.3 miles, 9840' elevation gain
Day 6 - 47.9 miles, 5320' elevation gain
Day 7 - 60.5 miles, 12700' elevation gain
Day 8 - 51.6 miles, 7850' elevation gain
Day 9 - 42.1 miles, 5040' elevation gain

Total Distance = 484.5 miles
Total Elevation Gain = 76,790 feet

kythruhiker
07-10-2009, 15:29
Major bummer, he was well on track to take the record...

Horton is off the trail at end of Day 6 – CT speed attempt is over

http://www.eco-xsports.blogspot.com/

ChinMusic
07-10-2009, 15:41
I saw that via Twitter on my way home. Major bummer for David. From reading the blog he has been through hell the last couple days.

DEF the right call to pull off. His health is just too much to risk.

Mags
07-10-2009, 16:42
David reported that for the last four days he has been urinated blood.

:eek:

Definitely the right choice. I'm no health professional, but urinating blood I imagine is one of the top signs that your body is saying "STOP"!!!

fiddlehead
07-10-2009, 21:30
Bummer!
Old age creates new problems for extreme athletes.

warren doyle
07-12-2009, 11:36
I wonder if covering 330 miles of mountain trail by foot in only 6 days is a new record?

I don't know anyone who has averaged 55 mpd over 6 days.

Talk to you soon David.

jersey joe
07-13-2009, 11:31
Yes, 55 miles/day over 6 days is an awesome acheivement!
Good stuff, despite coming up a little short...

Jeff
07-13-2009, 12:14
Yes, with all that David Horton has accomplished in his 50's, it is more proof that long distance hiking and running requires strong mental disipline. It's mostly all a head game.

Lone Wolf
07-13-2009, 12:16
long distance hiking and running requires strong mental disipline. It's mostly all a head game.

there's a big difference between the 2

JJJ
07-13-2009, 12:17
Sorry to see Dave have too turn loose of this one.
He's always pushing for the edge.

jersey joe
07-13-2009, 13:54
Yes, with all that David Horton has accomplished in his 50's, it is more proof that long distance hiking and running requires strong mental disipline. It's mostly all a head game.
Except when you start peeing blood, that's not really mental.

Pedaling Fool
07-13-2009, 16:02
And to factor in the guy is practically 60, that's awesome and it's what makes me feel like a wus.:sun

Hikerhead
07-13-2009, 20:57
Horton is da Man!.... he'll be back.

saimyoji
07-13-2009, 21:04

oh sure, like YOU know anything about long distance running...ever run an ultramarathon? those guys are crazy!! :D

Tinker
07-14-2009, 00:16
He gave God the glory. Good show, David. Spending time with family is where it's at. You only have one set of parents. I've lost one of mine, and time with my mom is very precious to me. There's obviously much more to David Horton than speed hiking.

Christus Cowboy
07-14-2009, 12:03
I have my doubts on this one.
That record is tough and he is getting old.

You are right on all counts... My parents are Dave Horton's next door neighbors and know him well.... He is definitely capable of getting it done but caution was the best course of action on this one... Last time out he got dangerously dehydrated and if it wasn't for a livestock tank that he came across he may not have made it. I think that previous experience made him very congnizant of what his body was telling him...

leeki pole
07-14-2009, 12:27
I gotta agree with LW here. Logistics, planning, it's easy to run if you got a warm soft bed every night. Not so much hiking.

fiddlehead
07-14-2009, 12:31
I am the same age as David and have run a few ultras but he is much much faster and more dedicated than i am.
But I know that there are some internal aches and pains inside me that show themselves much more at 58 (for one more week) than they did at 51 (when i was in my prime)

Sorry to hear about the blood. That's dangerous stuff.

I still have aspirations of doing something extreme but everytime i get near the "wall" I have to remind myself of my age.

Lone Wolf
07-14-2009, 12:32

long distance walking is nowhere as tough or physical as long distance running. that's the difference

Sly
07-14-2009, 12:53
Horton is da Man!.... he'll be back.

If the last two attempts are any indication, I think David's record setting days are over.

MOWGLI
07-14-2009, 12:57
If the last two attempts are any indication, I think David's record setting days are over.

Well, he's had a good run... :p

Tipi Walter
07-16-2009, 08:06
Go Horton....great to see ANY attempt at a record like this....olympic in nature, true athlete.

Why is it so great? Why encourage the guy?

I have no doubt he can do it. The biggest reward for him will be the accomplishment, not the accolades.

If this were really true, he'd be doing the trail with no one knowing about it. It'd be his own private goal and the accomplishment would be personal. A competitive sporting event is all about accolades.

This info was posted on Montrail's FB page.

Pretty gnarly stats! :) 60 miles and 12k gain..egads!

Today is day 7 for Horton as he attempts to break the supported speed record for the Colorado Trail. He's feeling good and moving along well and on track.

Yesterday he covered segment 17, 18 and 19 over 47.9 miles and a total elevation gain of 5,320 feet as he approached the La Garita Wilderness in the San Juan mountains. Beautiful and rugged terrain.

Today is a big day for Horton, the biggest in terms of total elevation gain, as he'll cover 60.5 miles and a total elevation gain of 12,700 feet. Epic! He'll cover segments 20-23 (there are 28 segments to the Colorado Trail) and will cross three mountain passes. If all goes as planned, Horton will finish on Sunday afternoon with a new Colorado Trail speed record. Good luck Horton, hang in there, we're pulling for you.

Day 1 - 57.6 miles, 8720' elevation gain
Day 2 - 60.1 miles, 9660' elevation gain
Day 3 - 52 miles, 7900' elevation gain
Day 4 - 62.4 miles, 9760' elevation gain
Day 5 - 50.3 miles, 9840' elevation gain
Day 6 - 47.9 miles, 5320' elevation gain
Day 7 - 60.5 miles, 12700' elevation gain
Day 8 - 51.6 miles, 7850' elevation gain
Day 9 - 42.1 miles, 5040' elevation gain

Total Distance = 484.5 miles
Total Elevation Gain = 76,790 feet

Here's clear proof of someone with an obsession for daily mileage.

David reported that for the last four days he has been urinated blood.

:eek:

Definitely the right choice. I'm no health professional, but urinating blood I imagine is one of the top signs that your body is saying "STOP"!!!

The voice of reason above is blotted out by the blurb below:

This is your opinion and not one shared by everyone. People have the right to applaud his efforts, and people have the right to downplay and criticize his efforts. Let's hear both sides.

MOWGLI
07-16-2009, 08:16

Seems to me, supporting your fellow man, and someone who by all accounts is an extraordinarily nice human being - is the right thing to do. You do things differently Walter. And post about it here frequently. That's your choice. Most people including me are respectful of your choices. It would be nice if there was some reciprocity. Horton is doing harm only to himself. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Lone Wolf
07-16-2009, 08:21

If this were really true, he'd be doing the trail with no one knowing about it. It'd be his own private goal and the accomplishment would be personal. A competitive sporting event is all about accolades.

Here's clear proof of someone with an obsession for daily mileage.

The voice of reason above is blotted out by the blurb below:

This is your opinion and not one shared by everyone. People have the right to applaud his efforts, and people have the right to downplay and criticize his efforts. Let's hear both sides.

freakin' debbie downer :rolleyes: why are you always on here talkin' about your little campin' trips?

Tipi Walter
07-16-2009, 08:49
Seems to me, supporting your fellow man, and someone who by all accounts is an extraordinarily nice human being - is the right thing to do. You do things differently Walter. And post about it here frequently. That's your choice. Most people including me are respectful of your choices. It would be nice if there was some reciprocity. Horton is doing harm only to himself. I wish him a speedy recovery.

I suppose Horton is doing harm only to himself, and he has the freedom to choose what he wants to do with his life. No problemo. My quandary comes from seeing groupies line up to applaud a STUNT, pure and simple. Some guy hikes the AT with a tuba? Let's follow his every move. Somebody tries to haul a 100-plus Golite pack on the AT and see how long he can stay out w/o resupply? Let's check it out. What's the difference between a speed hiking stunt and walking the AT backwards or hopping on one foot or pulling an upright piano or doing a thruhike on your hands? Why not do a speed hike and pull 50-60 miles a day while carrying a 100 pound pack? This would really set sort of record.

Bumshandler
07-16-2009, 08:55
freakin' debbie downer :rolleyes: why are you always on here talkin' about your little campin' trips?

I suppose Horton is doing harm only to himself, and he has the freedom to choose what he wants to do with his life. No problemo. My quandary comes from seeing groupies line up to applaud a STUNT, pure and simple. Some guy hikes the AT with a tuba? Let's follow his every move. Somebody tries to haul a 100-plus Golite pack on the AT and see how long he can stay out w/o resupply? Let's check it out. What's the difference between a speed hiking stunt and walking the AT backwards or hopping on one foot or pulling an upright piano or doing a thruhike on your hands? Why not do a speed hike and pull 50-60 miles a day while carrying a 100 pound pack? This would really set sort of record.

Well, TW, we're waiting! You didn't answer the question posed by LW.

MOWGLI
07-16-2009, 08:55
To me, there is nothing interesting about following someone's hike when they are doing the typical. But when someone challenges themselves, and pushes limits, I tend to get interested. I am not alone in that regard.

Lets try and keep this thread positive and on topic. If someone wants to open a new thread about stunt hikes, or whatever, go right ahead. Just please don't do it in the Other Trails forum.

jersey joe
07-16-2009, 10:14
Tipi you are more than free to express your criticism of Horton's hike, but the fact that he is doing something that most people physically couldn't do is impressive to me and many others. I guess seeing how far the human body, mind and spirit can be pushed has always been intriguing to me.

warren doyle
07-16-2009, 10:15
I fully support David Horton and his adventures. I just wish he could do his record attempts a little bit later in the hiking season out West. He has accomplished a great deal in his life as an individual and as a teacher/mentor.

Christus Cowboy
07-16-2009, 12:04
There will always be diversity of opinions when different topics are discussed and this thread is no exception... Sharing one's accomplishments and experiences can be inspiring and also provide the basis for growth..... I will never be doing the things that Dave Horton does as it is not my desire.... Simply put breaking some record is not my motivation for getting out there. I do however find inspiration from someone that age who is able to go out there and chase his dreams and it gives me hope that I still many good years to do the same.....

Tipi Walter
07-16-2009, 12:13
Well, TW, we're waiting! You didn't answer the question posed by LW.

What exactly is the question? Why am I always on here talking about my little camping trips"? Is this a question? Isn't this a website on trails and backpacking?? Whether they're for 5 months or 14 days or a weekend, don't we all talk about our little camping trips?

To me, there is nothing interesting about following someone's hike when they are doing the typical. But when someone challenges themselves, and pushes limits, I tend to get interested. I am not alone in that regard.

Lets try and keep this thread positive and on topic. If someone wants to open a new thread about stunt hikes, or whatever, go right ahead. Just please don't do it in the Other Trails forum.

Who wants to open a new thread on stunt hikes? Maybe this thread should be taken out of the Colorado Trail and put in a special category called "Sport Hiking." Beyond this, the topic is about speed hiking the Colorado Trail, and posts can show both sides of the endeavor, the positives of doing it and the positives of why it may be a stunt.

John B
07-16-2009, 14:03
Who wants to open a new thread on stunt hikes? Maybe this thread should be taken out of the Colorado Trail and put in a special category called "Sport Hiking." Beyond this, the topic is about speed hiking the Colorado Trail, and posts can show both sides of the endeavor, the positives of doing it and the positives of why it may be a stunt.

I think that's an outstanding idea. Several weeks ago I thought about asking Attrol to open a new forum section on trail running and trail races, but I didn't do it because it seems that WB already has a ton of sections. Runnersworld.com has also recently openned a section devoted to just that. But I like your idea because it would give a place for those of us who really enjoy ultramarathons, trail running, etc. a central place to post threads on the topic. However, it does seem that there are quite a few in WB who really enjoy that and races such as the Badwater Ultra, the Leadville, etc., so I'll put together a request and send it to Attrol for his consideration as soon as I can.

Tipi Walter
07-16-2009, 14:43
I think that's an outstanding idea. Several weeks ago I thought about asking Attrol to open a new forum section on trail running and trail races, but I didn't do it because it seems that WB already has a ton of sections. Runnersworld.com has also recently openned a section devoted to just that. But I like your idea because it would give a place for those of us who really enjoy ultramarathons, trail running, etc. a central place to post threads on the topic. However, it does seem that there are quite a few in WB who really enjoy that and races such as the Badwater Ultra, the Leadville, etc., so I'll put together a request and send it to Attrol for his consideration as soon as I can.

Ah, a reasoned response.

Marta
07-17-2009, 06:45
...I just wish he could do his record attempts a little bit later in the hiking season out West...

Because the weather would be cooler? Interesting suggestion.

Lone Wolf
07-17-2009, 06:47
Because the weather would be cooler? Interesting suggestion.

less snow.....

Marta
07-17-2009, 06:49
Oh. Yeah, that would be helpful.

Do you know how/why he chose the dates he did?

Lone Wolf
07-17-2009, 06:56
Oh. Yeah, that would be helpful.

Do you know how/why he chose the dates he did?

his job at the university, crew availability, and family commitments maybe? don't know for sure

Maddog
07-17-2009, 07:01
good luck!!!!!!

Lone Wolf
07-17-2009, 07:04
good luck!!!!!!

for what?.....

Nasty Dog Virus
07-17-2009, 07:37
I think its incredible that a man that age can run on trails like that for so many miles each day. Not something that I have a desire to do but I enjoy reading about it on WB.

and....geez....let TW have his opinion...its not like he mention politics or religion (banned subject matter on WB):-?

Christus Cowboy
07-17-2009, 08:09
his job at the university, crew availability, and family commitments maybe? don't know for sure

If I was to guess I believe it was his job at the university...

Mags
07-20-2009, 13:29
Maybe this thread should be taken out of the Colorado Trail and put in a special category called "Sport Hiking."

Excellent idea! Feel free to start a thread about it. No need to start a new category.

It is veering away from the Colorado Trail and getting into a different topic that could be interesting is a bit beyond the Colorado Trail.

Thanks!

Engine
07-20-2009, 15:30
What exactly is the question? Why am I always on here talking about my little camping trips"? Is this a question? Isn't this a website on trails and backpacking?? Whether they're for 5 months or 14 days or a weekend, don't we all talk about our little camping trips?

What makes his attempt any more a "stunt" than saying "I'm gonna hike 2,180 miles in 6 months"? Is he not hiking his own hike in a fashion?

I might have a different impression of the definition of a stunt, but to me it has always had a negative meaning when used in the manner of TW's post. Some people are driven by the extreme challenge of various endeavors and I find it hard to see what they are harming by pushing the boundaries of endurance. I understand that it is a completely different situation, but would Shackleton's accomplishment have been termed a stunt?

warren doyle
07-20-2009, 16:57
Snow pack in the Western mountains (Pacific Crest/Rockies) usually lasts into early-to-mid July. Snow and swift stream/river fords due to snowmelt can only make the going more difficult when you have to average 40-60 mpd to break a record.
David had to endure these conditions in the High Sierra during his PCT record hike a few years ago. If only it could have started one or two weeks later. The Colorado Trail is short though and I'm sure he doesn't have to go back to university teaching until mid-August giving him more of a snow-free window for this latest record attempt.

Arizona
07-20-2009, 16:58
What makes his attempt any more a "stunt" than saying "I'm gonna hike 2,180 miles in 6 months"? Is he not hiking his own hike in a fashion?

Maybe "publicity" hiking or "showoff" hiking or "boasting" hiking would be a better term. I get tired of the "look at me" hikers and the shameless self promotion of these guys. I wish they would just say to themselves, "hike my own hike."

leeki pole
07-20-2009, 17:16
I think its incredible that a man that age can run on trails like that for so many miles each day. Not something that I have a desire to do but I enjoy reading about it on WB.

and....geez....let TW have his opinion...its not like he mention politics or religion (banned subject matter on WB):-?
Totally off the subject, but age has nothing to do with it. It's mind over matter and preparation. Tiger Woods misses the cut at the Open, goes home and a 59 year old Tom Watson leads wire to wire and had a 10 footer to win on the 72nd hole. So, he missed and lost in the playoff. Same thing, different sport.

Mags
07-20-2009, 17:19
Maybe "publicity" hiking or "showoff" hiking or "boasting" hiking would be a better term. I get tired of the "look at me" hikers and the shameless self promotion of these guys. I wish they would just say to themselves, "hike my own hike."

Please start a new thread. :)

Thanks!

Nasty Dog Virus
07-20-2009, 17:59
Totally off the subject, but age has nothing to do with it. It's mind over matter and preparation. Tiger Woods misses the cut at the Open, goes home and a 59 year old Tom Watson leads wire to wire and had a 10 footer to win on the 72nd hole. So, he missed and lost in the playoff. Same thing, different sport.

Golf is not about physical endurance....long distance hiking is. I would not be as impressed with a 20yo doing the distances that Horton does...

fiddlehead
07-20-2009, 21:15
Totally off the subject, but age has nothing to do with it. It's mind over matter and preparation.

I disagree. I've ran 100 mile races in fairly quick times when i was 51.
Now, when i train more than a 20 mile run, i have this pain in my lower back near my kidneys that tells me to stop.

I have hiked with Batch who was 78 at the time. He had to get up at 4AM and start hiking to get the miles in that it takes to do a through-hike and still lasted 1,000 miles before stopping due to pains that his age made worse.

I have a good friend hiking the PCT right now who is my age. He is having all kinds of physical problems at mile 1100 that are new to him.

Age gives you the experience and brains to know what you need to do to get it done, but the body has the physical pains similar to a bald tire on your car.
It just won't perform the same as one in it's prime.

As to those who want to complain about the thread: Geez, why do you come here? There are tons of threads on whiteblaze i would never open. Unless you're a troll or nothing else to do with your time, go to one that interests you!

saimyoji
07-20-2009, 21:27

interesting...what are all those letters and numbers for in your profile? :rolleyes:

warren doyle
07-21-2009, 07:20
Age does make a difference. There is a limit to how much wisdom will get you through the purely physical challenges that a long distance hiking trail record attempt presents.
I am sure that David will be the oldest record holder (with support) of the PCT (55 y.o) and that he will be the oldest record holder of one who has covered 330 miles of the Colorado Trail in only 6 days (59 y.o).
My physical abilities have started to diminish since the age of 53 due to a slightly decreased lung capacity and being overweight. Structurally I'm still fine. My 50-60+ mile days are a thing of the past. I still might have a few 40+ mile days left. I'm still capable of 30+ mile days when needed with a little night hiking involved. These preceding statements involve mostly day hiking with vehicular support. David and I are only two weeks apart in age.
He is a runner and I am a walker.

Plodderman
07-21-2009, 09:58
Great effort and I hoped he would make it. Never go wrong by setting goals and training for them even if they do not work out. You are still farther along than you would of been.