PDA

View Full Version : 5-days in Maine...

tlbj6142
07-07-2004, 17:28
After reading responses from my original thread (See NE Trip (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5034)), I've decided to do a 5-day trip in Maine over the labor day weekend (2 days of vacation == 5 days on the trail). I'll be flying into Bangor or Portland (depends where I end up).

Originally I planned to meet up with my brother, but I seriously doubt he'll be in Maine that weekend. If he is, great, if not I'll see him when he gets home.:D

So, where to go in Maine? I saw this in another thread...

The toughest parts of the trail are the White Mountains of NH and Western Maine. Since you will be heading northbound, you will reach that area at the peak of your physical condition. That won't make that part of the trail "easy" however. A day of backpacking in Western Maine can knock the wind out of just about anyone.I really don't want to get my butt kicked on this trip, but I still want to visit a great section. So, where exactly does "Western Maine" end? I'm looking to do 10-15 miles per day (50-80 total miles). Any suggestions?

What about logistics? I assume I'll need to rent a car to get to the trailhead, but I'll need to end up (or start) somewhere near a shuttle service. As I would think hitching for 80 miles might prove to be a bit difficult.

Tim Rich
07-07-2004, 18:01
Yellow Jacket,

I think the hardest sections of Western Maine are south of Stratton. We sectioned Gorham to Rangeley last year and the Mahoosucs were tough, but fun. We'll be doing Rangeley to Monson in a few weeks and everything I've read and heard has the stretch south of Stratton to be more of the same. I wouldn't let the difficulty of a section keep me from seeing it, I'd just adjust my planned mileage.

Logistics - unless you're planning to tour the area before or after the hike, I wouldn't recommend a rental car. You'd be paying for it (and thinking about it) during the hike. I'd shuttle on both ends of your trip. If you end up near Andover, Honey and Bear at The Cabin are great.

Travel wise, Independence Air is a startup that will be servicing both Columbus and Portland by the time of your trip. Their air fare seems to be in the 99-114 range one way to/from Columbus-Portland. If you don't want to use a startup, the larger carriers are probably matching fares.

Good luck in your planning and your trip.

Take Care,

Tim

A-Train
07-07-2004, 21:32
The hardest part of maine is mostly said to be from the Maine state line to Andover. That is only about 25-30 miles. The terrain gets a bit easier but there are still some tough stretches between Andover and Rangely. I thought Rangely to Stratton was possibly the toughest and most exhaustive section of the AT, but then again I was fighting a virus thru it. It doesn't have the technical rock scrambles of the Mahoosucs or the WHites but there is little to no flat terrain in the 35 miles or so south of Stratton. Its virtually 1000 feet up, then back down, 1500 up and down 800 and so on. Very pretty but a butt kicker for sure.
After Stratton its approximately 15 miles to get over the Bigelow Range. A couple tough climbs but some beautiful scenary. After that Maine flatens out a great deal and the climbs are few and far between all the way to Katahdin.

sleeveless
07-07-2004, 21:47
What about NH? I love the Bonds in the Pemi wilderness and you can keep on going to other mountains

tlbj6142
07-08-2004, 08:51
Thanks A-Train and Tim for the suggestions. I orderd the 2004 Maine guide last night from the ATC and skimmed the Companion. My local outfitter's thru-hiker had suggested some of the same areas. The Bigelows in particular. So, at this point I'm thinking of doing some stretch between Andover and Caratunk. Which stretch? I'm not exactly sure yet. Let me read the guide a bit.

Tim: Thanks for the suggestions about travel. My concern with using a "shuttle" (what kind of shuttle?) to/from Portland and the trailhead is more of a timing issue. A quick glance a flights showed I could leave Columbus at ~5pm (1-Sept) and be in portland as early as 9pm. What sort of shuttle would could transport me ~2 hours at that time of night?

Still haven't locked in dates/flights, but the return times seem to be a bit more limited. Either 6am-ish (cheaper) or 5pm-ish (and $$$$).

TREE-HUGGER
07-08-2004, 11:58
I would have Shaws pick me up at the airport in Bangor, stay with them the first night. Have them drop you off on the Katahdin Iron works road the next morning and head north. Have them pick you up at Abol Bridge when you are done. This trip would be all that you would want for 5 days. A more relaxed pace would be for them to drop you off on the B-pond road north of boardman mtn. This is all in the "100 mile wilderness". And be careful....15 miles in Maine on flat ground is a long long way. Especially if you are coming straight from home.

attroll
07-08-2004, 13:07
There are so many options to suggest to you on what you can do for 5 days in Maine. But I don't know what type of hiking you are looking at doing. Do you want some mountians or easy walking or a little of both? It also depends on your pace and what you want to do for mileage each day.

tlbj6142
07-08-2004, 13:28
There are so many options to suggest to you on what you can do for 5 days in Maine. But I don't know what type of hiking you are looking at doing. Do you want some mountians or easy walking or a little of both? It also depends on your pace and what you want to do for mileage each day.I'd like some mountains, and lots of open spaces if possible. IOW, I don't want to be trapped under dense tree cover more than say 50% of the hike. 50-80 miles. (10-15 per day). I'm the get up at 6-7am type. Hit the trail 30 minutes later and hike slow all day. Setup camp around 7-8pm and fall to sleep. I like to eat dinner on the trail well before I arrive in camp.

I'll probably pick a starting point and have 2 options for stopping (one short and one longer) so if I feel great I can go long. If not, I'll do the short trip. Not having much experience in NE I don't know exactly what to expect (I assume it is "different" [harder?] than NC/TN/VA AT hiking I have done in the past.)

Heck it doesn't really have to be on the AT. But I figure if it is on the AT I'll dramatically increase my chances of stumbling across my brother on his thru-hike.:D

Tramper Al
07-08-2004, 13:42
I don't want to be trapped under dense tree cover more than say 50% of the hike. 50-80 miles. (10-15 per day).D
Hi,

Trapped under dense tree cover? You know that probably 95% of the trail miles in Maine are in the woods, yes? The only areas with significant stretches above treeline or on ledges still probably add up to less than 15 miles (I am guessing here), and that's the AT through the entire state.

Only the AT through the White Mountains of NH would offer you anywhere near that many miles of exposed trail, most of it concentrated between Crawford and Pinkham Notches (the Presidential Range). That could be your 'short' route, then add a section on one end or the other for your 'long route'. Shuttles are available.

Why worry about hiking the most 'difficult' miles on the AT? You can decide where you want to start and finish, so just reduce your expected miles per day accordingly. Maybe think in terms of hiking about 12 hours a day (as you said), rather than in terms of how many miles.

Finally, aren't you WAY more likely to run into someone who is hiking northbound by you yourself hiking southbound?

tlbj6142
07-08-2004, 14:07
Trapped under dense tree cover? You know that probably 95% of the trail miles in Maine are in the woods, yes?I didn't know that. Seems like most of the pics I see of Maine show it has very open and exposed. And given that most of the forest in Maine are coniferous I assumed they were fairly "open" unlike the (young) deciduous forest in the South that are typically quite dense and make for a more humid hike. Well live and learn. I'm still going to Maine. Even if it means I'll be under tree cover. At least they'll be different trees.:D

Why worry about hiking the most 'difficult' miles on the AT? You can decide where you want to start and finish, so just reduce your expected miles per day accordingly. Maybe think in terms of hiking about 12 hours a day (as you said), rather than by how many miles.I think we are both accomplishing the same thing via different methods.
Finally, aren't you WAY more likely to run into someone who is hiking northbound by you yourself hiking southbound?That's what I plan to do. I just never really stated that fact. I was looking for a section. I assumed it wouldn't mater if I hike it NOBO or SOBO.

Tramper Al
07-08-2004, 14:26
I didn't know that. Seems like most of the pics I see of Maine show it has very open and exposed.
Yes, but I think this may more a function of where people take their pictures. When you wrote 'less than 50%', I thought more in terms of the number of miles, open vs. wooded. You will find a nice variety of woodland habitats, to be sure.

Between Andover and Caratunk, you do have several nice open ridges that you won't want to miss. They are, in my subjective decreasing order of spendor: Bigelows, Saddleback, Abraham, Little Bigelow, Sugarloaf. Abraham is a short side trip that I would highly recommend for you, given your wish to see the open spaces. If I wanted to maximize my exposure, I might get off the AT on my Sugarloaf sidetrip, descend the ski trails and pick up the AT to the Bigelows that way. Oops, I described that northbound, but you get the idea, yes? Then perhaps a 5 day trip could be put together from East Flagstaff Road to Highway 4.

If you do go to/from Caratunk, make sure you know the ferry's hours/dates. I would say that the section between Flagstaff Lake and Caratunk will not give you the peaks and exposure that you seek.

Have fun, and do let us know what you decide and how it goes!

Addendum: Attoll has some good additional advice about this section. And Spaulding Mountain has been 'promoted' to 4000 footer status, if that matters.

attroll
07-08-2004, 14:31
I will offer my suggestion if you want mountains for a 5 day hike. I would put in at Rangeley at route 4 and head north to the East Flagstaff Road. That is about 40 miles. You will hit Saddleback, Crocker, Bigelow’s which are all 4,000 footer mountains. Spaulding also come pretty darn close to 4,000.

If you want some easy walking after that you can continue on to the Kennebec River and stop there. That will add 20 more miles.

Like Tramper Al said there is quite a bit of tree cover. If you are looking for flat land that is open it will not happen here in Maine. But it is not real dense. You can see the sky through them.

tlbj6142
07-08-2004, 15:04
Troll/Tramper;

Thanks for all the info. At this point I think I'll wait until I get the new 2004 ME guide before I make my decision. Though I'll probably need to decide on which airport I use sometime within the next 2-3 weeks.

Bluebearee
07-08-2004, 17:54
Rangeley to Long Falls Dam Rd or East Flagstaff (within a mile or two of each other) is 50 miles. That may not sound like a lot for a 5 day trip, but it is. I would almost suggest just doing the 33 from Rangeley over the Saddlebacks and Sugarloaf (throw in the blue blaze to the Abraham ridge) and call it good. The Saddlebacks are above treeline, some sections coming down (going north) from Sugarloaf are exposed, but as mentioned previously as most of the trail, it's in the woods. I shouldn't make this statement, but I believe that Maine is one of the most forested states in the Lower 48, if not the most. Trees we got. Yes, many are coniferous and hardwood mixed. But it isn't open.

Another suggestion would be to go Rangeley (Rte 4) and down the Sugarloaf ski trails, thus missing the Crockers (which I consider nothing more than a nuisance, some views, but a long slog out to 27 in the woods after the two summits) head across the street and do a loop on the Bigs, up to Horns Pond and either down Horns Pond Trail back to 27 or continue over West Peak to Avery Col and down the Firewardens Trail. It would be a shame to miss the above treeline of the Bigelows, my fav mountain range in the state or New England for that matter.

If you were to do this hike in this area, I would suggest Bob from Gull Pond hostel in Rangeley to help with the shuttle arrangements. As far as getting up there from Portland, that's another story. I can't commit to helping with that right now, but closer to the date I might know my schedule (and yours). I live 20 mins outside Portland.

Bluebearee

Tramper Al
07-09-2004, 08:35
Another suggestion would be . . . down the Sugarloaf ski trails . . . head across the street and [hike] the Bigs.
Darn, I wish I had thought of that.

If it helps your timing at all:
My group was not fast, but we hiked:
Day 1: Rt 4 to Poplar Ridge, 7 hours, but much of it in the dark
Day 2: Poplar Ridge to Spaulding, including side trip to Abraham
Day 3: Spaulding to Caribou Valley Road (good campsite, legal?), including side trip to Sugarloaf, short day.
Day 4: From CVR over Crockers to Rt. 27, half day, out by noon.
Then, I hiked the Bigelows AT as a day hike, out at Safford Brook Trail.
Little Bigelow AT was a half day hike from Safford Brook.

tlbj6142
07-09-2004, 09:10
Bluebearee;

Thanks for the suggestions. I think my head is going to explode from all of this route information (from you and others). Made even more difficult becuase I don't have a trail map for ME yet. Once it arrives, I can get a better handle on logistics and all of the details.

Thanks for the tentative shuttle offer. I'll keep that in mind.

attroll
07-09-2004, 11:23
In 2000 I did this section with no problem and I was a overweight. I don't know what your condition is but I am sure you are younger then me and in better shape.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 367pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=489 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><COL style="WIDTH: 175pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 8521" width=233><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" span=3 width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.1pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=18><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 14.1pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64 height=18>Day</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 175pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=233>Start</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64>Miles</TD><TD class=xl34 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64></TD><TD class=xl34 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.1pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=18><TD class=xl36 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 14.1pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" height=18></TD><TD class=xl35 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white">Started at East Flagstaff Road</TD><TD class=xl36 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white"></TD><TD class=xl37 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white"></TD><TD class=xl37 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white"></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.1pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=18><TD class=xl25 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 14.1pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 height=18 x:num>1</TD><TD class=xl38 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; vnd: @">Bigelow Col. Campground</TD><TD class=xl25 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 x:num>8.7</TD><TD class=xl26 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 x:num>1</TD><TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 x:num>148.5</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.1pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=18><TD class=xl28 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 14.1pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 height=18 x:num>2</TD><TD class=xl29 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 175pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; vnd: @" width=233>North side of Crocker Mtn</TD><TD class=xl30 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 x:num>12.2</TD><TD class=xl31 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 x:num>2</TD><TD class=xl32 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 x:num>160.7</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.1pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=18><TD class=xl28 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 14.1pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 height=18 x:num>3</TD><TD class=xl29 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 175pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; vnd: @" width=233>Spaulding Mtn. Lean-to</TD><TD class=xl30 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 x:num>9.3</TD><TD class=xl31 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 x:num>3</TD><TD class=xl32 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 x:num>170</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.1pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=18><TD class=xl30 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 14.1pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 height=18 x:num>4</TD\></TD><TD class=xl29 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 175pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; vnd: @" width=233>South Base of Saddleback Mtn.</TD><TD class=xl30 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 x:num>14.8</TD><TD class=xl31 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 x:num>4</TD><TD class=xl33 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 x:num>184.8</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.1pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=18><TD class=xl30 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 14.1pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 height=18 x:num>5</TD><TD class=xl29 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 175pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; vnd: @" width=233>Highway 4/Stay in Rangeley</TD><TD class=xl30 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 x:num>3.9</TD><TD class=xl31 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 x:num>5</TD><TD class=xl33 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" width=64 x:num>188.7</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

tlbj6142
07-09-2004, 11:26
Where is the treeline in this part of ME? 3500'? 4200'? Just wondering?

Tramper Al
07-09-2004, 11:35
Where is the treeline in this part of ME? 3500'? 4200'? Just wondering?
It varies quite a bit and is not solely a function of elevation. Along your route, Saddleback, its Horn, Abraham, Sugarloaf, and the 4K Bigelows have quite large sections of alpine zone. Spaulding and Bigelow's (S) Horn have 360 degree view summits, but the trail goes back into the trees fairly quickly on these. Little Bigelow has many many open ledges, but would not be considered 'above treeline'.

tlbj6142
07-09-2004, 11:39
In 2000 I did this section with no problem and I was a overweight. I don't know what your condition is but I am sure you are younger then me and in better shape.Younger yes, better shape? I'm working on that.

I found one of those long AT strip maps at home and using the 2004 Databook, I have a much better idea about the trip suggestions you and others have provided. Though I hope the ME guide has topos (and/or profiles) on its maps when it arrives.

I'm beginning to like this section from the descriptions mentioned above. And the proposed route does appear to give me a few on-trail options for doing more (via side trips or continuing onto ME17) or less miles. Which is exactly what I want as I have no idea how my person will hold on the more rugged terrain.

Switching gears a bit...

How did you insert that chart? I don't see that as an option? Is it just an image?

Tramper Al
07-09-2004, 12:13
Though I hope the ME guide has topos (and/or profiles) on its maps when it arrives.
The Maine ATC maps are extremely nice maps, and they have all that you wish and much more. Make sure you have ordered the new 14th edition.

attroll
07-09-2004, 12:15
The Maine guide book is a very good book in my opinion. I have seen a couple other states and from what I have seen is that the Maine one is the better one that I have seen. But like I said I have only seen a couple others. It does have topo's with it.

TJ aka Teej
07-09-2004, 13:17
I've decided to do a 5-day trip in Maine over the labor day weekend (2 days of vacation == 5 days on the trail). I'll be flying into Bangor or Portland (depends where I end up).
Hi Yellow Jacket! Since it's just a short (and your first?) visit, may I suggest considering Stratton to Caratunk? Not the toughest section, but the finest kind of Maine AT hiking ending with pancakes at Harrison's and a canoe ride with an AT institution.
TJ (one of the ALDHA Companion Volunteers in Maine)
p.s. Labor Day at Baxter is wicked high volumne, with the AT trailhead campground reserved exclusively (the Birches is the exception) for the Penobscots. If you're visit was at any other time, you'd find Katahdin at the top of my suggestion list.

attroll
07-09-2004, 14:01
I was going to suggest what TJ aka Teej said but when you said that you wanted as much open areas as possible and some mountians I though I would put you mostly on the mountians. But this is a great sections. This way you get to take in the Bigelows and the rest is very easy hiking. This is one of my favorite sections of the AT in Maine that combines one of the best mountians and some easy hiking with it.

Maybe taking on all the mountians that I suggested at first might not be a good idea. You will have to look at the maps when you get then and then maybe you can ask some more questions here.

Tramper Al
07-09-2004, 15:34
may I suggest considering Stratton to Caratunk
I think that's way less of a trip than YJ wants to do. It's like 37 miles and after Little Bigelow it's all very low and quite flat. He says he wants to go 50 to 80 miles, and he wants to be up above treeline and in the clear as much as possible. I'm not sure this is the best option for him.

MOWGLI
07-09-2004, 15:56
may I suggest considering Stratton to Caratunk?

That might very well be my favorite section of the entire trail. I want to revisit that area with my backpacking flyrod lashed to my pack. The Bigelows are beautiful! The area around East Carry Pond is maybe my favorite place in Maine. Pierce Pond ain't too shabby either! Ah, the memories...

tlbj6142
07-09-2004, 19:11
You folks are gong to have to stop with the suggestions otherwise I'm going to have to take a month off work for this trip.:D

attroll
07-09-2004, 20:52
If he really wants to do more then he could decide on that when he gets to the Kennebec River. (If he choose this section). Because you could just keep on going to Monson. That would add 37 more miles if he went to route 15 in Monson. It is reaally easy hiking too and can be done in 2 or 2 1/2 day's no problem.

tlbj6142
07-11-2004, 10:43
The 2004 ME Guide/Maps arrived yesterday. I love the format. I have several guides/maps (NH/VT, 2 parts of VA) and this one is the best format. Having the Trail Description on the back of the map along side the "cartoon" map is an excellent idea. No need to carry the book at all. Use the book for pre-trip reading.

Now for the questions...

What little I've been able to gather from weather underground (the only site I know that has historical weather data for free) it seems as though a 30F bag should be more than enough for a trip the first week in Sept. As record lows were above freezing in both Waterville(?) and Millinocket. Normal lows were in the 40's. Sound about right?
Looks like I'm in for some steep climbs. Or are the profile maps to exaggerated? Though 2000' in 2 miles is plenty steep.
Someone mentioned skipping Crocker Mtns. By hiking down the sugarloaf ski slopes and "crossing the street" to the Bigelows. Unfortunately, I think that corner of the maps are not on the AT maps. All I can see is the hike down the ski slopes. And then a road walk out to ME27, road walk up ME27 unitl I hit the AT again. Sound about right? Or are there some connecting trails I'm not aware of? Any maps you know of that cover that gap?
"Treeline". On a couple of the profile maps the word "treeline" appears. Ex. at 3500' on "The Horn" and 3750' on Saddleback Mtn. I would have expected to see "treeline" somewhere along the Crocker Mtn profiles and the Bigelow Mtns. Maybe just a cartographer oversite?
Is it typically "dry" in Sept? The maps look plenty "wet" with all the ponds, creeks, etc. But is the weather typically "dry"?
Well the profile maps have inspired me to begin (and increase) my pre-trip workouts. I'll really need to get my knees a bit stronger.

attroll
07-11-2004, 11:44
1. The weather you are looking at you said was the Waterville and Millinocket have normal lows of 40 but you have to remeber that you will be in the mountains and it will get a little colder at night.

2. Yes they can be steep climbs.

3. If you want to hike down the ski slopes of Sugarloaf then the toalf hiking from the top of Sugarloaf to the entrance back on the AT doing a road walk is 5.15 miles.

If you stay on the AT and hike over crocker it is 8.39 miles.
4. There is not treeline on Croker Mountian. There is and open area due to large broken up rocks near the top that you hike over but you never really hit the summit of Crocker you hike around it but close to it. But to answer you question there is not treeline on Crocker.

5. The weather you can never predict. I would like to say thata it is not usually wet. That the rains have stopped by then. I do most of my hiking here in Maine in Sept and August. But like I said one year it can be great and the next year you might get all rain.

I hope this helps some. Feel free to ask more questions. Oh by the way when did you say you were coming her to do this hike?

Tramper Al
07-11-2004, 11:53
I'll jump in and try to answer some of your questions.

1. Your weather expectations sound about right. I would not hesitate to rely on my 35F bag in this area in the first week in September, though I would be prepared to add some of my warm clothing, hat and gloves on a cool night.

2. Yes, the profile maps are exagerated (I believe they pretty much always are). The 2004 MATC exageration is 7.26:1, which is more exagerated compared to a more standard exageration of 5.28:1 (NH/VT AT, for example).

3. Yes, the road walk you describe is probably the most direct way to link up from the AT at Rt. 27 and the bottom of Sugarloaf ski trails. I would not recommend using the Firewarden's trail to skip West Peak and South Horn, simply because you will miss too much. Sugarloaf does have some XC ski trails on the north side of Rt. 27, but I don't think they extend westward far enough to help you avoid much road. Others may know more about this.

4. The MATC has omitted the 'treeline' mark on the Bigelows map. I would guess it's at about 3800 to 3900 feet or so, both south of West Peak and north of Avery Peak. Bigelow Col is and its campsite are well wooded. There really isn't any significant 'above treeline' on the Crockers (though there are some nice views here and there).

5. Early Sept is often fairly dry, but you just never know. I hiked over the Bigelows last Aug 21st, and found a couple of the designated water sources to be adequate, though marginal. Definitely carry a filter. The ponds on the map will have water in them.

Hope that helps a bit.

tlbj6142
07-11-2004, 16:31
I hope this helps some. Feel free to ask more questions. Oh by the way when did you say you were coming her to do this hike?Thanks for the responses (both of you). My current plans are to be there 1-Sept (night) thru 6-Sept (leaving). The dates might shift a day or so, but I will be there over Labor day weekend plus 2-days.

:banana

tlbj6142
07-11-2004, 17:31
What about camping restrictions? The guides plead with you to camp at shelters and designate campsites, but don't make it clear if doing otherwise is illegeal.

I'm sure I'll end up at, or near, the shelters/sites but I'd like to know if I have to.

attroll
07-11-2004, 17:38
I did not say this and I am not authorizing this. But I spent a night or two in and unauthorized place becauase it was to late in the evening to continue on to get to the next authorized place. I was just very careful to try to no make it obvious that I had been there. But since then I have switch to a hammock. So now if I was to do it no-one would ever know.

tlbj6142
07-11-2004, 21:30
I've read just about everything in the ME guide. It doesn't seem like you have to camp in designated sites in the sections I am considering. I just think the MATC is really pushing the LNT-thing (camp at established sites). Like I said, I'll probably end up at the desingated sites.

One more thing...

What about bugs the first week in Sept? I know black-flies should be gone, but what about mosquitoes? The evening lows seem to suggest there won't be many, but ME bugs might be a bit more hardy than the wimpy ones in OH.

No-see-ums? Never met one, so I have no frickin' clue where they hang out. For all I know they spawn in the Bigelows the first week in Sept?:rolleyes:

attroll
07-11-2004, 21:46
If your going to be hiking the mountians at this time bugs willl not be a problem. Black flies are already gone here now so you won't have to worry about them. No seems you will not have to worry about either. The skeeters will be lingering a little in the low lands like in the 100 mile winderness but they should not be a problem at all.

This is the main reason this is my favorite time of year to hike because the bugs are all on the way out.

tlbj6142
07-12-2004, 09:51
Thanks.

I, too, like fall hiking (less bugs). And the air is typically drier.

walkin' wally
07-12-2004, 21:20
My wife and I did Baldpate Mountian to the East B Hill road yesterday July 11th and considering the time of year there were very few bugs. We used no repellant. There have been some good rainstorms up there and the morning was quite cool. That might have had something to do with it. At any rate, I have experienced much worse this time of year.
If you are interested in larger critters we saw a large coyote and a moose along highway 26 near Grafton Notch.
Hope you enjoy your hike :)

Bluebearee
07-12-2004, 21:49
That was my suggestion, just in the interest of including the Bigelows. In re-reading your dates, the Bigs will be crowded over Labor Day weekend, there's a caretaker both at Avery Col and Horns Pond to manage crowd control. It's a popular area for one or two night backpacks. Try to hit staying in the old Octogon house up on the Loaf overnight. It doesn't specifically say this, but the building is open and available for overnight stays. Of course, pack out your trash. There's a radio, microwave and woodstove. It's a big old eerie building with a great relief map. So you can factor that into where you can camp. And yes, you can stealth otherwise. There are awesome spots down by Orbeton Stream and the AT flattens out on the long slog out from the Crockers (going south, the first few miles south of 27 for you) which would have camping options. Try to use the sites on the Bigelows, they're plentiful and it's a fragile and highly used area. I camped last winter on Little Bigelow, but winter rules are different. Safford Notch is a cool spot too between Avery Col and Little Bigelow shelter.

Yes there would be a road walk if you came down the ski trails and skipped the Crockers, you could hitch, but there are no trails to take you there. I do know the mountain biking trails across the road on the east side of 27, but couldn't begin to describe how to access them. That would actually be an interesting diversion as we bike from the base of the Bigelows to Carrabassett Valley and then back up along the narrow gauge rail by the river.

I digress...

I think everyone else answered the other questions.

I wouldn't go with anything less (meaning a higher rating) than a 30 degree bag though. I start carrying my 15 degree down bag by mid-Sept or earlier depending on elevation and how the season is shaping up.

Bugs will be virtually non-existent, that's why us Mainers wait for Sept and Oct to hike. And why I found it comical on my thru-hike that people were so hysterical about flip-flopping to avoid "the cold" - winter doesn't really come here in September!! :rolleyes:

Mr. Clean
07-14-2004, 07:36
Saw the new Maine trail guide at Carlo Col shelter in the Mahoosucs yesterday and really liked the new trail maps - much easier to read. The Mahoosucs are beautiful but very tough.

tlbj6142
07-14-2004, 09:37
Talked with my brother (Father Ounce) lastnight from Port Clinton, PA. There is a real possiblity that he'll be in the above areas the first of Sept. In fact, he is hoping/planning/thinking they (he and Sampson) will finish around mid-Sept.

All of this means my route selection may be dramically altered if he is in Maine.

tlbj6142
07-21-2004, 11:35
Just bought the tickets ($227 round trip). I'll arrive in Portland, ME on 2-Sept and leave 7-Sept.

The trip will probably end up being a 4.5 day trip. But that's close enough to 5 for me.

aphex242
08-06-2004, 16:18
YellowJacket has two companion's plus myself on this journey. I have backpacked in the Rockies before (NM), plus countless short excursions in the OH/KY area, but Maine will be new for myself.

We will be arriving in Portland, perchance does anyone have any suggestions for transportation to/from the Airport? I believe YJ has settled on hiking on Maps 4, 5, and 6, though we haven't nailed anything exact down yet.

Also, some of us will be using White Gas, any suggestions on where to obtain that? (We get in about 9pm) Do any of the groups that offer transportation also sell fuel possibly?

Thanks,

-Jack

attroll
08-06-2004, 23:17
YellowJacket has two companion's plus myself on this journey. I have backpacked in the Rockies before (NM), plus countless short excursions in the OH/KY area, but Maine will be new for myself.

We will be arriving in Portland, perchance does anyone have any suggestions for transportation to/from the Airport? I believe YJ has settled on hiking on Maps 4, 5, and 6, though we haven't nailed anything exact down yet.

Also, some of us will be using White Gas, any suggestions on where to obtain that? (We get in about 9pm) Do any of the groups that offer transportation also sell fuel possibly?

Thanks,

-Jackaphex242

What are the dates of your trip and when will you be arriving in Portland?

tlbj6142
08-09-2004, 09:48
Troll,

We'll be arriving in Portland around 9pm on Thursday 2-Sept. I've already told Jack that finding fuel won't be an issue. But a shuttle may be as there are 4 of us. Not too many folks can shuttle 5 (with 4 packs).

We still don't have a firm route yet either as it looks like my brother may end up in ME around the same time.

I suspect we'll have the route firmed up soon (within the next week or so).

attroll
08-09-2004, 11:39
I would not wait until you get to Portland to get a shuttle aranged. You will not get one from the airport. You need to have something aranged ahead of time.

tlbj6142
08-09-2004, 13:00
We won't. But we can't exactly go looking for a shuttle if we don't know where we are going to hike.

I honestly think we'll end up with a car. Given the time we arrive in Portland (9pm), I really think it is a bit much to ask (even for a fee based shuttle service) to drive us 100 miles at that time.

This way we only need to arrange a shuttle back to our car on Tuesday morning/afternoon. Which should be less "painfull" for the driver.

Of course there are still wacky options like spliting the group having part go NOBO and the other go SOBO. Which would mean we wouldn't need a shuttle at all.

That might actually be an option if we hike NOBO and my brother is going SOBO. Being a thru-hiker he has plenty of time to drive us around.<g> Whereas us weekenders want to maximize our on-trail experience.

We'll see.

tlbj6142
08-12-2004, 23:05
I've decided on a route.

I'm going to do RT4 to East Flagstaff Rd (48.9 mi excluding side trails). It looks like a rough route. But there are several bail out points along the way if I'm in over my head. I'm thinking my starting total wet (including 2 qts water) pack weight should be 20# (I'll post my gear list before I leave). And with all of the training I'm doing, I should be fine.

I'll do the section NOBO as my brother is now doing a flip to Katahdin and will be hiking SOBO, so we might cross paths.

Got word from someone who just hiked a portion of this section last week. Had a wild night in the Sugarloaf Summit Hut...

stayed the night in the summit hut - wild weather! rain, 50-80 mph winds, hail, and even snow!I'm going to ME with 3 other folks, but I don't expect all 4 of us will do this exact route. A couple of them are considering the section just North of East Flagstaff. Which should make shuttles much easier. As they can drop me off Thursday night and then park at East Flagstaff (or near-by) and hike North. I'll hike back to the car Tuesday and pick them up at their end point and drive back to Portland.

AT Troll,

This is the exact same section you listed earlier in this thread from your 2000 spreadsheet. On that trip did you happen to take the Surgarloaf and/or Mt. Abraham's side trips?

Bluebearee
08-12-2004, 23:23
I just did Rte 4 to 27 last week. Took a solid 3 days plus a 1.8 mile hike into Piazza Rock the night before. So 3 nights out and yes, I did the Nuisance Crockers (again!!). Stayed atop Sugarloaf finally.....excellent night. I think you should be able to do that plus tack on the Bigs to East Flagstaff Rd in 4.5 days. We got held up in the Saddleback area with a thunderstorm/hail (maybe the one the person wrote you about from Sugarloaf?) and took our time (cause hey! I'm not thru-hiking anymore and I can).

I was just checking in to see how the plans were firming up and if I could help with a shuttle at all. No, I wouldn't be terribly psyched about a 9pm drive to Rangeley, but nothing is out of the question. If ATTroll wanted to do a baton pass with you guys I could meet him somewhere north of here. My vehicle is a Subie s/w which holds 4 people comfortably, 5 in a pinch. Did you mean shuttle 5 including driver?

Let me see what the Labor Day weekend plan is here around my house. This may be do-able and would position me in the north country for another section myself.

attroll
08-13-2004, 00:25
Sorry I can not help out with the shuttling on 2 Sept. I can not get time off from work. I also do not have a car big enought to shuttle three people and thre packs. Sorry. I am hoping to be doing a section hike Labor Day weekend somewhere in Maine with another WhiteBlaze user. I am waiting for his reply to see if his wife will let him go that weekend. We have not picked where we are going to hike yet. I would like to do Route 4 to route 27 but that would leave me driving home late Monday night. I was thinking Caratunk to Monson or maybe the Bigelows. I have not given it much thought yet. It also depends on what my partner wants to do also. So if anyone esle out there is interested in Labor Day weekend in Maine let me know.

tlbj6142
To answer your other question. No I did not do the Surgarloaf or Mt. Abraham's side trails on my trip. I was busy trying to catch up with a set of hikers that were a day ahead of me. I do regret no doing them though.

tlbj6142
08-13-2004, 09:36
Thanks for the shuttle offer Bluebearee.

Since there are 4 of us (5 if you count the shuttle driver) on a rather tight schedule (9pm drive, etc.) I feel we are too much of a burden on the friendly shuttle driver. And would hate to impose in such a scenario. But if you are willing, we'd gladdly take the offer. Splitting a 5-day car rental across 4 folks is probably a cheaper proposition anyway.

AT Troll (or anyone else for that mater);

If plans are such that you are going to be in the area (my above route or the route I suspect the rest of the group will take), by all means let us know. I'd love to get some good local information while on the trail. Secret sites, good swimin' holes (according the other active thread, I need to make an effort to swim quite a bit in ME), local history, native peoples mythos, etc.

One more thing, I can't quite tell from the guides/databook if there are any un-bridged stream crossings between Rt4 and Caratunk. I assume there are, but would like a heads-up.

Bluebearee
08-13-2004, 16:20
your option to rent a car may be your best bet and offer the most flexibility. I always hate to do this on a long hike and have it sit unused for 2 weeks, but for a shorter hike as your own, it's not a bad option, esp. given the way you all might split up this section.

As for stream crossings: from 4 to 27 you have two major ones:
Orbeton Stream and Carrabassett River.
Both were not a problem last week and I'm not much of a stream crosser. There were sufficient rocks to walk on, there is a long board across the Carrabassett that helps in this regard. The bridge washed out years ago there. Which is one reason Maine doesn't build more.

I last did 27 to East Flagstaff Rd in the winter, but there are no stream crossings in that area to speak of. There is an early one that is bridged just north of 27 (over Safford Brook?) but then you're up high for quite a ways. There are 3 ponds past Flagstaff Lake: the Carry Ponds (named for Benedict Arnold's slog to Quebec, where they had to 'carry' or portage the bateaux); West, Middle and East. This area is wet and boggy (Arnold Bog in particular past West Carry) but no big rivers. Actually I thought you weren't going past East Flagstaff Lake (or maybe you're wondering for the other guys). Obviously the biggest river you would encounter here is the Kennebec but for that you have Steve Longley's ferryman service.

ATTroll:
I may be interested in either of those sections, depending what I can knock off here in the next few weeks. I plan to pick up from 27 north to Monson in two sections probably. And then do the Wilderness in early September before I become employed again. If we could arrange car spotting or shuttling for Labor Day that would make my life easier. Let's keep in touch about that.

And YellowJacket I will still get back to you about a shuttle. I have a friend who owns an apt in Stratton where I could stay if we ended up with a late night drive up north on that Thursday.

tlbj6142
08-13-2004, 22:02
Thanks for the info.

attroll
08-14-2004, 00:26
ATTroll:
I may be interested in either of those sections, depending what I can knock off here in the next few weeks. I plan to pick up from 27 north to Monson in two sections probably. And then do the Wilderness in early September before I become employed again. If we could arrange car spotting or shuttling for Labor Day that would make my life easier. Let's keep in touch about that.
Yes there will be a car on each end as lone as I can get someone to do a section with me. I will put mine at one end and we can drive the other persons car to the other end and strart. I don't know what section I will do. I guess if I get someone that wants to do a section with me then we can decide together. I am emailing back and forth with "pcm25" right now and it looks like he might we doing this with me but it is not written in stone yet.

I will keep you posted.

aphex242
08-15-2004, 22:28
Well I think we have decided on doing Map 4, ME27 nobo to Caratunk, we being the other half of Yellow Jackets crew. The other two in my group have a decent amount of experience backpacking around Ohio, but not really any big trail hours logged, so I am leaning towards a conservative itinerary. Myself, I've put some time in the Sangre de Christos range. This is assuming we can be on the trail by late morning Fri, and waiting for pickup (or whatever) by mid Tues morning.

To those who are more familiar with this section, do you think we are being too conservative, or about right? Should we add Crocker Mountain to our route, dropping in at Caribou Valley Rd?

attroll
08-15-2004, 22:45
Well I think we have decided on doing Map 4, ME27 nobo to Caratunk, we being the other half of Yellow Jackets crew. The other two in my group have a decent amount of experience backpacking around Ohio, but not really any big trail hours logged, so I am leaning towards a conservative itinerary. Myself, I've put some time in the Sangre de Christos range. This is assuming we can be on the trail by late morning Fri, and waiting for pickup (or whatever) by mid Tues morning.

To those who are more familiar with this section, do you think we are being too conservative, or about right? Should we add Crocker Mountain to our route, dropping in at Caribou Valley Rd?Awesome choice. You should not have a problem if you are leaving late in the morning Friday and going to be picked up Tuesday morning. That gives you four days of hiking. You may even get done early. You only have the Bigelows to worry about. That will be the biggest challenge. I did 10 or 11 miles of them in one day in 2000 and I was very overweight and out of shape. You have plenty of time so take your time and enjoy the hike and do not hurry because you are worried that you don't have time. You have plenty of time.

But one thing you will have to keep in mind for the last day. You need to remember the ferry schedules. Do not miss the last one or you will have to wait until the next day.

The Old Fhart
08-16-2004, 07:51
aphex242,
Have you considered going southbound thru that section? That way you get the ferry crossing out of the way and don't have to worry about it. Also starting at Caratunk you have the easier sections to do first and can work up to the Bigelows. If you are ahead of schedule you could then consider doing the Crockers as well although that might be too much.

tlbj6142
08-16-2004, 09:00
Any water sources along the Mt. Abraham's (1.7mi one-way) summit trail? Or the Sugarloaf summit trail (0.6 miles one-way)?

I don't believe water is available at the Sugarloaf summit house/hut, correct?

attroll
08-16-2004, 11:08
Any water sources along the Mt. Abraham's (1.7mi one-way) summit trail? Or the Sugarloaf summit trail (0.6 miles one-way)?

I don't believe water is available at the Sugarloaf summit house/hut, correct?There is a water source at Spaulding Mtn Lean-to.

Tim Rich
08-16-2004, 14:53

I don't believe water is available at the Sugarloaf summit house/hut, correct?

There is a boxed spring about halfway up the Sugarloaf summit trail. It looked okay when we were there in July, but I wouldn't count on it if it's been very dry. I'd check the registers or with hikers you meet on your way in. For me, it was certainly worth the climb and hauling water in to stay up there. The views are outstanding and the accommodations are great.

Bluebearee
08-16-2004, 17:36
Spring is running fine, in fact the first 2/3 of the trail up had water. And after the last week here in Maine, I don't foresee anything drying up in the next two weeks. I should amend my river crossings entry, I just read someone's TJ entry about Orbeton Stream being waist high two days ago!! Things change overnight and this was from a storm surge no doubt. I would really make this side trip a must. I have a soft spot for Sugarloaf having skied there my whole life, but it's a cool place to hang out, even if not spending the night.

I have never done the Abraham side trail (hiked Abe from the Kingfield side - Firewarden's trail), my husband has though. As it's high ridge line, I would doubt there would be a permanent water source there. Are you going NOBO or SOBO, have you decided? I was going to say you'll be carrying water up Lone Mtn from the streams before the climb. Or as troll just pointed out, plenty of water @ Spaulding Mtn if coming south.

Water is NOT going to be your problem on any of these sections. Had we had a normal (snowy) winter, we'd be far ahead of the precip scale, but as it is, we're still in catch up mode. My lawn is the greenest it's ever been in August.

tlbj6142
08-17-2004, 09:35
Thanks for the spring info.

With the recent rain up the east coast that doesn't suprise me. This is our (Columbus Ohio) 2nd summer in a row in which I didn't need to water my lawn. And it has to be the coldest summer on record (at least my record). We had the AC on a week in MAY and a week in July. That's it so far. On several days the high has been lower than the "normal" low. And, the humidity has been quite low. Weird.

Back to ME...

Aphex and I have an itinerary I'd like you folks to look over...

The 4 of us fly into Porland at 9pm on Thursday 2-Sept. Pick up gear and rental car. Stop by a gas station on the way out of town to pick-up some HEET for me.
Drive to Rt4 and drop me off. Alone and in the dark. I'll find a site near-by.
They'll continue on to some place to spend the night. Probably in Rangeley or Stratton.
Friday, they will leave their car in Stratton, find some whitegas and get a shuttle to Caratunk.
They will hike SOBO to Stratton via the AT and the Bigelow Range Trail.
I will hike NOBO to East Flagstaff Rd.
Tuesday, they will arrive in Stratton by noon (or earlier) and head to East Flagstaff to pick me up.
Clean-up so we don't gag the other passengers on the retrun flight.
Drive back to Portland to for our 5pm flight back to Columbus.
Sound good?

Any suggestions for #2, I assume I can find something for the night near the parking lot?
Suggestions for #3, where will they stay Thursday night?
Suggestions for #4, Friday morning's shuttle to Caratunk?
We assume the Bigelow Range Trail is easy to find/follow. Any issues with that blue-blaze?
If I'm wiped-out or behind schedule, I can bail on RT27 and hitch/hike into Stratton Tuesday. Or hike upto Horns Pond and out the Bigelow Range Trail, etc.

attroll
08-17-2004, 11:47
Thanks for the spring info.

Sound good?

Any suggestions for #2, I assume I can find something for the night near the parking lot?
Suggestions for #3, where will they stay Thursday night?
Suggestions for #4, Friday morning's shuttle to Caratunk?
We assume the Bigelow Range Trail is easy to find/follow. Any issues with that blue-blaze?
If I'm wiped-out or behind schedule, I can bail on RT27 and hitch/hike into Stratton Tuesday. Or hike upto Horns Pond and out the Bigelow Range Trail, etc.

You will find something near the parking lot. In fact if you are standing in the parking lot and look at the south bound entrance to the AT. Go to the left of that at the the corner of the parking lot. Then head in. There is a stealth camping spot in there about 60 feet or more. I think if you cross the road and start hiking north bound there is a stealth camping spot right after you cross the stream about 100 yards in.

A good place to spend the night is at Bob O'Briens Place in Rangeley. It is a hostel. It is called Gull Pond Lodge. He will probably let them leave there car there if they spend the night. He might even shuttle them to Caratunk. His phone number is (207)864-5563. That does not help if you are all going to meet in Stratton upon completion of your hike . But I know he will pick you up from Stratton when you all done if you make arangements with him.

I can not speak for the Bigelow Range Trail. I have always started the the AT Trail head.

Bluebearee
08-17-2004, 20:26
Bob @ Gull Pond prolly is the best bet, as they will be able to accomplish all their goals at once with him: fuel, shuttle I'm sure and lodging. He's very accomodating.

As to the blue blaze, though I have yet to do this (and really want to, so I can do the full Bigelow traverse over Cranberry), it is very well marked as to its exit from the AT. It comes out right in town (well a little south of the PO and main part of Stratton) so should be a good choice for them.

Are you set on the rental car? Sorry I haven't been able to jump in with a shuttle a little quicker. My husband has been under his truck every spare minute for 4 days and Labor Day weekend hasn't been a hot topic.

I don't know of the camp spot ATTroll mentions and having just gone NOBO from 4 you'd think I could remember what's just north of the road crossing. But I can't. I do know that it's an easy walk to Piazza Rock if you're comfortable night hiking. There's not much elevation gain, pretty woods. Why don't you all spend the night with Bob and just get dropped early Friday morning? You probably won't gain much by trying to get into the woods that night. Just a thought.

tlbj6142
08-17-2004, 22:52
We are not set on a car rental. Though since we are pushing the time limits quite a bit, forcing the friendly shuttle driver to do the same does come across as a bit rude. If one comes through with the right details, we won't rent.

I'll give Bob a call tomorrow afternoon and see what he thinks about our scenario.

I've thought about spending the night in Rangeley instead of on the trail. I never sleep well the first night on the trail, so I thought I'd just get it out of the way. Also, I've assumed (maybe incorrectly) that I'd get a late start (after 10am) if I "waited" for a shuttle from town. I'll ask Bob when I call.

Thanks AT Troll and Bluebearee for your help,

tlbj6142
08-18-2004, 11:12
I've been thinking a bit (watch out!).

We really don't need to be at the trailhead (Rt4 or East Flagstaff and Caratunk or Rt27) real early on 3-Sept (arrive 2-Sept). In fact, as long as both groups are on the trail before noon we should be OK.

As such, if there are drivers willing to shuttle us Friday morning from Portland, that would be fine. Of course, we will need a means to make sure we are on our way back to Portland by 1pm (at the latest) on Tuesday so we can make our 5pm flight back home.

The later issue might become the show stopper for shuttle driver(s).

Thanks in advance if you offer your services to our cause.

tlbj6142
08-24-2004, 14:37
I called Bob and he can shuttle us (for $95 to Caratunk). So here is our current plan.

Fly into Portland on Thursday, 2-Sept (9pm)
Take Rental and drive to Gull Pond Hostel
Early Friday morning self shuttle Group "A" (just me?) to RT4.
Group 'B', Wait for Bob to do "local" shuttles
Bob will follow Group 'B' to RT27 parking lot, drop off rental
Bob will drive Group 'B' to Caratunk.
Group 'A' hikes NOBO to East Flagstaff Rd
Group 'B' hikes SOBO to RT27
On morning of 7-Sept, Group 'B' drives rental to East Flagstaff Rd
Clean-up so we don't stink on return flights
Drive back to Portland for 5pm flight
We are thinking about sending our stoves and empty fuel bottles to Bob so we don't have to deal with it. And, ship them back as well.

See any issues? Suggestions?

attroll
08-25-2004, 01:25
It sounds like you have it all worked out now. I am glad it all came together for all of you.

SavageLlama
08-25-2004, 14:25
Interesting article on Mahoosuc Notch you may want to check out..

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/08222004/maine/33413.htm

Bluebearee
08-26-2004, 21:27
Y/J,
Sorry I've been so elusive. I tend to wait til weekends are closer and gauge the plan then. Doesn't help you at all. Since I'm field editing the section of trail from Stratton to Caratunk and must hike it (oh woe is me! :clap ), and since I have buddies doing some river stuff at The Forks Labor Day weekend, I believe I will not be able to help you after all, and in fact will be a bit ahead of you on the trail. I will be starting from 27 next Weds it looks like and heading north, hiking into Caratunk (well, ferrying in) on Saturday afternoon. That means, I should run into the SOBO contingent. Who should I look for? This timing just works out better for me, and I'm sorry to have held you up for so long. Troll, what have you decided to do? I really want to do the Bigs again, or else I'd start @ Long Falls Dam Rd which could have meant a possible shuttle help to you all.

It sounds like you have all your issues covered. I would definitely suggest sending stove ahead, I did that on my thru-hike and all was well.

I hope you all have a great hike and can appreciate the beautiful Maine mountains.

I will be home by Monday night, so if there is anything you need in Portland area Tuesday, I could help with that. Seriously, if you want to stop and shower here that would be fine, or whatever you might need. Send me a private email and I'll send you my #.

attroll
08-27-2004, 01:00
Troll, what have you decided to do? I really want to do the Bigs again, or else I'd start @ Long Falls Dam Rd which could have meant a possible shuttle help to you all.I will not know until this weekend which section we are going to do. We are waiting to see if my wife has the weekend off from work. If she has the weekend off then we will be hiking from Long Falls Dam Rd to Caratunk. She can not do anything strenuous because she has foot problems. If she has to work then PCM25 and I are going to do a hike. But we don't know what we are going to do yet. I would like to do the Bigelows but that is really only a two day hike. I want to get some hiking in for all three days. I am going to get together with PCM25 this weekend as we are going to head to Caratunk and see Steve (The Ferryman) about making the final arrangements for the WhiteBlaze get together. I am hoping to talk PCM25 into hiking up Pleasant Mountain and back down Saturday while we are up there.

Here is a list of options I am going to throw out at PCM25 this weekend when we get together.

The Hermitage to Jo-Mary Road (28 miles)
Monson to The Hermitage (30 miles)
Pleasant Pond to Monson (31 miles)
Success Pond Road to Carlo Col Shelter on to East B Hill Road (27 miles)
South Arm Road to Route 4 (26 miles)

If you can come up with any other 3 day section I am ears? I will fill you in as to what we come up with this weekend.

attroll
08-28-2004, 22:46
Bluebearee

It looks like PCM25 and I have decied on which section we are going to hike Lobor Day weekend. We will be parking my truck in Monson and driving around the parking PCM25's truck at the Plesant Pond lean-to parking lot and and heading north. If you are interested in this let us know. If anyone else is interested in doing this trip with us let us know.

Bluebearee
08-28-2004, 23:01
Thanks Troll....but I've got myself all psyched up for the Bigs and on into Caratunk, where my husband and other friends are going to be hanging @ The Forks for the w/e. I plan to hike in (ferry in) Sat. afternoon and will be rafting the Dead on Sunday (5500 release). Thanks though!

attroll
08-29-2004, 07:07
Thanks Troll....but I've got myself all psyched up for the Bigs and on into Caratunk, where my husband and other friends are going to be hanging @ The Forks for the w/e. I plan to hike in (ferry in) Sat. afternoon and will be rafting the Dead on Sunday (5500 release). Thanks though!
I wanted to do the Bigs also. But with it being about 37 miles and us only having 3 days and the timing of catching the ferry we decided against it. If not for the ferry and worring about missing it after 4 pm on Monday we probably would have done it.

tlbj6142
08-30-2004, 11:29
It will certainly be wet for all of our trips.

With Gaston (http://hurricane.accuweather.com/adcbin/hurricane/storms.asp?ocean=atlantic&storm=Gaston&imagetype=move&partner=) and Hermine (http://hurricane.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/headlines.asp?iws=2) both hitting ME in th next couple of days. I'm wondering now if I shouldn't take my Chacos instead of my shoes for my trip. They are 6oz heavier (for the pair) than my shoes. But if my feet are going to be soaked from mud and such, might as well be wearing the Chacos.

We'll also need to track Frances (http://hurricane.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/headlines.asp?iws=3) as well. Who knows what kind of mud holes we'll be hiking in if it desides to turn north.

tlbj6142
09-08-2004, 10:30
We're back. We all had a great time. The weather could not have been better (well there was a cloud stuck on Bigelow/Avery peak when I crossed on Sunday, but the rest of the trip was perfect). All of the other peaks (Saddlebacks, Mt. Abrahams, Surgarloaf, Horns, little Bigelows were clear for miles)

I'll post trip/gear/technique report later this week. I learned quite a few things on this trip. Along with a few pics (if they turn out).

aphex242
09-08-2004, 14:39
Thank you to all who helped us out with information, etc. for the trip!

Bluebearee--It was great that we ran into you on the trail, and we all met up for lunch when we were done, and a good time was had by all!

It is so hard being stuck inside again after spending some time in Maine. The section that I saw was truly beautiful. Quite a treasure.

-Jack