PDA

View Full Version : Sept & Oct section hike: OR & northern CA?

summermike
07-04-2009, 21:58
I have about two months to hike. Thinking of starting at the OR-WA border and heading south. Two-time A.T. thru and have done a few sections on the CDT.

Been reading the PCT guidebooks and I'd like to hear opinions about doing OR and northern CA SOBO in the fall. I'm kind of a slow hiker in my old age (53) so I don't know how far I'll go into California. Open to suggestions.

fiddlehead
07-04-2009, 22:23
Although Northern California has plenty of Awesome hiking, i don't consider the very northern portion of the CA PCT to be all that good.
Depending on your goal, i think it's much better to head a bit further south, maybe around Etna and head south from there.
I remember the section from Etna to the OR border to be a bit boring for the PCT (if any of that trail could be considered boring)
Trinity Alps wilderness might be a better choice depending on how long you are out there and like i said: What are your long term goals? (if it's piecing together the PCT, then ok, go for it and get some of the mediocre stuff taken care of)

I hope this helps. Have fun!

sarbar
07-05-2009, 10:47
September would be a nice time to start in Oregon - cool temps so the miles would go fast. Usually Sept. is quite mild weather wise also, October more a risk of cold weather and snow coming in up north.

summermike
07-05-2009, 13:04
What kind of snow conditions should I expect in October in southern OR/northern CA? The guidebooks don't talk about fall weather very much.

I don't have specific goals other than to put in some miles, enjoy some solitude and maybe lose a little weight.

If I fly into Portland what's the best way to get to the trail from there?