PDA

View Full Version : So... You leave your pack...???

CANtucky
07-04-2009, 23:24
I'm sorry I can't find the thread I was reading here just a day or two ago, but I was confused about the start at Baxter. I read that to hike K you leave your pack at the ranger station and just take a day pack. Do you start and end at the same place that day before heading on south on the AT?

Just trying to wrap my mind around the journey. Thanks in advance.

Walkie Talkie
07-04-2009, 23:42
short answer..yes

Red Hat
07-05-2009, 01:28
Well, yes and no. If you take the Hunt Trail (AT) up and back down you do. But there are various other ways up. And you certainly do not have to leave your pack with the rangers, but lots of folks choose to do so to lighten the load while doing the big climb.

TJ aka Teej
07-06-2009, 22:15
Up at the top of this page, where it says "WhiteBlaze - Appalachian Trail > Appalachian Trail Forums > Thru - Hiker Specific Topics / Q & A,s > Southbound thru hikers (MEGA)" - click on the part where it says "Southbound thru hikers (MEGA)" and enjoy.

CrumbSnatcher
07-06-2009, 23:06
Up at the top of this page, where it says "WhiteBlaze - Appalachian Trail > Appalachian Trail Forums > Thru - Hiker Specific Topics / Q & A,s > Southbound thru hikers (MEGA)" - click on the part where it says "Southbound thru hikers (MEGA)" and enjoy.
TJ, do you need a reservation if you plan to hike out of the park to abol pines after summiting big K? thanks

jwalden
07-07-2009, 06:48
No reservation needed unless they have greater crowds than it appeared to me, but it's a stupid idea. You have ten miles to go up and down Katahdin, then another ten to get out of the park to the campground -- so first a ten-mile day hike up and down several thousand feet, then ten miles with a pack fully loaded for a week-plus (or so I presume, other options being more trouble than they're worth except as contingency plans), and you'll fight the clock to do it and not have much time to relax atop Katahdin. First, there's no point in rushing like that; second, it's a good way to hurt yourself. I would say don't even bother trying to push out large mileage until you're south of the White Mountains, although you do want to avoid slacking off and cutting too many days short just because you can. Aim for ten or fifteen miles a day as a pace that's not too hard but not too easy so you ease into shape, lessen if your body complains too much. Glencliff south you can be more aggressive in your goals if you want, but I see little reason to do so any earlier.

TJ aka Teej
07-07-2009, 07:25
TJ, do you need a reservation if you plan to hike out of the park to abol pines after summiting big K? thanks
No res needed for dayhiking, and no way to res at Abol Pines. I'd recommend phoning ahead for a res at Katahdin Stream the night after climbing the Mountain.

jersey joe
07-07-2009, 08:30
No reservation needed unless they have greater crowds than it appeared to me, but it's a stupid idea... First, there's no point in rushing like that; second, it's a good way to hurt yourself. I would say don't even bother trying to push out large mileage until you're south of the White Mountains...
I find it interesting that you are calling an idea by a guy who has thru hiked 4x stupid.

CrumbSnatcher
07-07-2009, 09:58
No res needed for dayhiking, and no way to res at Abol Pines. I'd recommend phoning ahead for a res at Katahdin Stream the night after climbing the Mountain.
Abol pines, abol pines campsite,abol bridge camp store, side of the road in a ditch?. theres room for me somewhere;)its a easy stroll from katahdin streams to abol bridge,but just to cover my butt maybe i'll give em' a call about a posible reservation?(pay for the reservation and then push on if so desired?) i have done some stupid S*** in my life, but this one's very doable. my biggest concern was getting to the park and early enough. thanks for everyones concerns,thoughts and idea's!:D

CrumbSnatcher
07-07-2009, 10:25
sorry i posted in the wrong thread? i will only be hiking Katahdin to glencliff.

jwalden
07-08-2009, 03:58
I find it interesting that you are calling an idea by a guy who has thru hiked 4x stupid.

Let's put it this way. First, I can't imagine it would have been possible for me to do it if I'd tried, and while I didn't start in great shape, I didn't start out shape either. I can't imagine other southbounders who may or may not have been capable of it would have enjoyed doing so, either. Second, I don't know why saying it's not a good idea would be controversial anyway. The Thru-Hiker Companion suggests 19.2 miles is doable for a fit and fast northbounder but not a very pleasant way to end it, and given the extent of the warnings to aspiring southbounders about even taking a loaded backpack up Katahdin, discouraging starting with a 19.2 mile day seems entirely reasonable. I know I'd have regretted trying had I done so. Third, I still think there's not really enough time, given an arrival at KSC at 8 in the morning, to hike up, enjoy the summit, hike down, and hike out with a loaded backpack (daypack sure, but not backpack) without keeping a constant eye on the clock. I'm pretty sure I wasn't down until 14:30 or so with a leisurely stop at the top, and while the next ten miles were even terrain I doubt most are capable, at that point, of hiking it in less than five or six hours, and that's not including breaks, and perhaps not recognizing the exertion of the previous ten (although to be honest I didn't think Katahdin was a strenuous climb, just not something to add to a ten-mile day right off the bat, especially since it's easy to avoid doing so).

Also, I hadn't noticed the 4x mention in the sidebar, which would have made a difference in tone if not in actual advice given. I still think it's a dumb idea, but there's rather less reason to be emphatic about it if the person at the other end understands what it actually entails.

jersey joe
07-08-2009, 09:29
jwalden,
I think as general advice you are probably correct in advising the majority of hikers beginning their thru hike to start slowly to avoid injury. There are however some hikers that have the ability to comfortably hike 19 miles out of the box. And for these hikers, I don't think it is a dumb or stupid idea.

mudhead
07-08-2009, 09:38
5 hours up and back. 3 hours out. Unless you are Lone Wolf. Less for him.

This would be cranking, and a waste of a pretty spot.

CrumbSnatcher
07-08-2009, 11:24
Let's put it this way. First, I can't imagine it would have been possible for me to do it if I'd tried, and while I didn't start in great shape, I didn't start out shape either. I can't imagine other southbounders who may or may not have been capable of it would have enjoyed doing so, either. Second, I don't know why saying it's not a good idea would be controversial anyway. The Thru-Hiker Companion suggests 19.2 miles is doable for a fit and fast northbounder but not a very pleasant way to end it, and given the extent of the warnings to aspiring southbounders about even taking a loaded backpack up Katahdin, discouraging starting with a 19.2 mile day seems entirely reasonable. I know I'd have regretted trying had I done so. Third, I still think there's not really enough time, given an arrival at KSC at 8 in the morning, to hike up, enjoy the summit, hike down, and hike out with a loaded backpack (daypack sure, but not backpack) without keeping a constant eye on the clock. I'm pretty sure I wasn't down until 14:30 or so with a leisurely stop at the top, and while the next ten miles were even terrain I doubt most are capable, at that point, of hiking it in less than five or six hours, and that's not including breaks, and perhaps not recognizing the exertion of the previous ten (although to be honest I didn't think Katahdin was a strenuous climb, just not something to add to a ten-mile day right off the bat, especially since it's easy to avoid doing so).

Also, I hadn't noticed the 4x mention in the sidebar, which would have made a difference in tone if not in actual advice given. I still think it's a dumb idea, but there's rather less reason to be emphatic about it if the person at the other end understands what it actually entails.

im not sure when i can line up a flight yet,so its hard to make a reservation in BSP? im not worried about the mileage or spending a bunch of time on the top of katahdin. im coming out to the trail to do some hiking, if i arrive at the gate at 5.oo am why would i not be at ksc by 8.00 as you suggested? 3hours to get from gate til i start hiking? really? im not doubting any of you and i appreciate all the advice. this will not be a camping trip i will hike from dawn to dusk if i desire too! for the 2-3 weeks i will be out there! ive always enjoyed myself whether i was taking a zeroday or hiking a 40+ mile day. i've been training for this and i am looking forward to the push,if i need to i will take the blueberry trail out of the park as mudhead suggested! and save a few miles. i just want to HMOH and i know no matter what takes place i will have a blast. if i have to stay the night in the park or hitch out to town and get a motel i will. i won't know til it happens. thanks for all the advice and concerns

jwalden
07-09-2009, 14:36
im not sure when i can line up a flight yet,so its hard to make a reservation in BSP? im not worried about the mileage or spending a bunch of time on the top of katahdin.

I was assuming a more typical approach where arrival and schedule could be pre-determined at least close enough that it would be possible to reserve, also where pre-training was minimal. Of course we all know what happens when I do that...

i just want to HMOH and i know no matter what takes place i will have a blast.

Certainly do so. I just don't think that means others shouldn't offer opinions giving other options, particularly when the stated option isn't just different but is (perhaps erroneously) believed to be ill-advised. (Isn't that why this site exists? :) )

CrumbSnatcher
07-09-2009, 14:42
thanks jwalden, i appreciate your thoughts and concerns! thats why i ask for the help. and thanks mudhead for the pm you answered almost all my questions!