PDA

View Full Version : I am back!

tomman
07-05-2009, 00:04
I have not been on whiteblaze for some time. I tried to hike the AT in March of 2007 but could not make it. I trained very hard for the hike and felt I was in fairly good shape.

I had done some hiking here in the Texas area and was able to fine some climbs that were not real long but fairly hard to climb. I had no problems with a very heavy backpack, much heaver than I was to use on the AT. I had my backpack weight down to 37 pounds with water and 4 days of food at the start. I had planned to go lighter as I found things I did not need.

I only made it to three forks and I had such a hard time breathing that I had to leave the trail. After 3 days rest I still had a very hard time breathing. I decided I better get back home and get a check out.

I went to my regular doctor and he could not fine anything wrong. I then went to my lung doctor and he ran some test and said everything was fairly normal. I continue to have breath problems so my lung doctor put me on some stronger and better medicine, but it did not help very much.

I continue this way until I had an appointment with my heart doctor. When I told him of the problems I was having he ran a nuclear stress test, I had had a regular stress test before leaving for the AT and passed.

Once he ran the test he said he found some things he did not like and ran some more test and found I required a Heart by pass. I had two section that were 50% stopped up and two sections that were 40% stopped . He said that I needed quad by pass open heart surgery. He said it was a wonder that I had passed the first stress test and could very well have had a heart attack on the trail.

In June of last year I had the surgery done and it worked out fine. I was ready to come home from the hospital and ended up getting a blood infection. After 18 days I had another infection so they sent me to a rehab center. I was there for another 32 days. I was in the hospital for 50 days in all and it left me in very bad shape. I was very weak, could not walk with out a walker and needed to use oxygen for about a month. I was in bed most of the time. Over all I lost 43 pounds, but do not suggest it as a way to lose weight.

I am not starting to work out again with weights. I have also started reading everything I can find about the AT, Yes I plan to try again. I have no idea when I will make it and I will more than likely do it in sections. My wife in now over 70 and she is not able to take care of thing for a long period of time. I hope to do a month or two at a time.

I had a very strong desire to hike the trail for the past 20 or so years but until I retired I just never had the time. Once I had been on the trail the desire became even stronger. I really loved it out there if only for a few days and knew I had to try again.

So very soon I will be strong enough to start carrying a backpack again so pray for me. I will be over 74 years old before I can try again but that will not stop me!

Tomman
trail name Cherokee Tom:-?

World-Wide
07-05-2009, 00:14
Well God bless you Cherokee Tom!! Sounds like you've been to hell-and-back! Wish you only the best and hope to meet you on trail one day!! W-W

Big Dawg
07-05-2009, 08:39
Welcome back! Glad you're getting better. Best of luck w/ your future AT plans.

downes911
07-05-2009, 08:55
sounds like you made the right decision back in 2007, so you must know your body well. In that I trust that you will get back out on the AT and be succussful in your dream. Congrats and God bless.
I am thru hiking next March, God willing!

Jeff
07-05-2009, 09:00
You are both lucky and smart. :)

Hope to see you down the trail.

cowboy nichols
07-05-2009, 12:44
Wow!! You just made any problems I thought I had seem very minor. Good luck remember at our age we don't have to hurry for anything.

blue07
07-05-2009, 17:16
I love your drive Cherokee. You were definitely smart in listening to your body and getting off. Hope to see a success story from you with your summit picture!

Cookerhiker
07-05-2009, 18:35
Your story is very inspiring. I admire your perseverance and hope you can realize your dream of hiking the AT, whether a month at a time or whatever pace you manage.

Blissful
07-05-2009, 18:50
You're an inspiration. May your dream be realized. :)

Mrs Baggins
07-05-2009, 19:50
Did my husband, Boomer, and I meet you in March 2007? Did you start from the Hiker Hostel on March 15th? Were you wearing a knee brace? Your name and all sound very familiar to us. We remember a man named Tom who was so kind and friendly and was doing his very best to keep going. He gave us tons of encouragement and believed in us and he was one of the first people I felt we must have deeply disappointed when we had to leave the trail at Hiawasee because my arches were collapsing and the pain had become unbearable.

Even if it wasn't you, God Bless You for your enthusiasm and will to go on. We also are looking at trying again in a few years. We've gotten ourselves retied up in a mortgage, job, obligations...........but we're only 53 and figure we can give it another go in about 5 years.

Egads
07-05-2009, 20:00
Welcome back and good luck on your hike. Keep us posted.

take-a-knee
07-05-2009, 23:30
Wow, you've been through a lot! As tough as it was at least you didn't have a heart attack so you didn't lose any heart muscle. I wish you the best and I will say a prayer for you.

SloHiker
07-09-2009, 10:01
Tom, you've certainly got some grit my friend! You're an inspiration to everyone young and old alike and I wish you the best on your future walk.

Six-Six
07-09-2009, 10:17
You are my hero. Keep to your dream of getting back on the trail. That goal will keep you motivated throughout. Like reaching for the stars and only getting to the moon - still, what an accomplishment. Way to go. You will get there.

Snowleopard
07-09-2009, 10:55
Tom, I'm glad you're making it back to health and to the trail. Get your doctor's advice on how to build up to it.
I'd really work on reducing your pack weight well below 37 lbs.
You're an inspiration to us. I met an older fellow hiking the Northville-Placid Trail in the Adirondacks with his grandchildren. It made me feel like I could be doing this for a long time.

Plodderman
07-09-2009, 10:58
Good luck and welcome back.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you.