PDA

View Full Version : Getting home

aufgahoban
07-05-2009, 09:01
I have some questions regarding getting home from Kahtadin. My daughter should be finishing up mid August or so. There are the obvious issues of not knowing the exact date of departure months in advance, so getting a cheap plane ticket is probably out of the question. What would be the best airport to fly out of to get her back to Texas? Are there buses or shuttles she can take from Millinocket to an airport? Thanks!

Wolf - 23000
07-05-2009, 09:10
Millinocket does have a bus station that she can use to connect to Bangor, ME and fly out of there.

Chaco Taco
07-06-2009, 22:16
The folks at Millinocket run shuttles from Baxter to their hostel. Get pretty nasty by the time you summit. They run a shuttle to the bus station that goes to Bangor, daily.

CrumbSnatcher
07-06-2009, 22:39
The folks at Millinocket run shuttles from Baxter to their hostel. Get pretty nasty by the time you summit. They run a shuttle to the bus station that goes to Bangor, daily.
i thought i heard 75.00 for a nights stay and a ride to the park. does that include a ride from bangor or is that extra? do they drop you off at the gate? are they allowed to drop inside the park even if the parking is full? thanks.

Lone Wolf
07-07-2009, 06:12
Millinocket does have a bus station that she can use to connect to Bangor, ME and fly out of there.

NO bus station in Millinocket. it's in Medway

Red Beard
07-07-2009, 08:32
Although there wasn't much about airline travel specifically, I found a lot of good info in this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22405&highlight=Baxter). Maybe it'll help you with the logistics of getting to the airport?

Montana
07-12-2009, 22:41
I stuck my thumb out... It was a fun way to end my hike! I met some fantastic people on my trip home, and wouldn't have wanted to do it any other way. Although I doubt that is the route you would suggest for your daughter.. The hostel in Millinocket runs a shuttle to and from the park, and I believe into Medway where she can purchase a bus ticket.

Personally, I find the bus the worst way to travel.. Hitch-hiking is much more pleasant!

- Hare

Peaks
07-13-2009, 17:17
Why not take the bus all the way to Boston. More choices there. Also Amtrak at South Station.

Mags
07-13-2009, 17:28
Getting out of Baxter itself should not be that hard. Hit someone up for a ride to Millinocket and then on to Medway.

Once in Medway, grab a bus to Boston. From Boston you can get anywhere.