PDA

View Full Version : Making (real) coffee on trail?

ShelterLeopard
07-05-2009, 13:35
How can you make real- not instant- coffee on trail? I can't just get the french press for the jetboil, because I have a pocketrocket (and I don't intent to switch, because I love my pocketrocket), and I don't reallly like instant coffee- I like the real thing. So how could I make it? I've tried putting coffee grounds in one of those cloth tea bags, but it makes it really weak and you have to boil it for EVER. So how do you all make coffee on trail?

And about the instant coffee, I actually don't really know if I like it or know- what do you all think about it?

ShelterLeopard
07-05-2009, 13:35
Sorry, I meant "coffee" in the title.

Hikes in Rain
07-05-2009, 13:56
Lots of coffee threads on the forum. I usually just make cowboy coffee: bring water to just short of a boil, toss in coffee, let rest so the grounds settle, and enjoy. There are lexan coffee presses which work pretty well, but are single-use items. There's a french press device available for a Nalgene bottle. We can get pretty passionate about coffee on this board!

Cookerhiker
07-05-2009, 14:30
I was in REI last week and noted several small portable devices for making "real" coffee - as I recall, one involved a cup with screen-type sides which you insert into your coffee cup and let it marinate, French Press-style. Probably better than instant. Why don't you take a ride over to Campmor (not on a Sunday!) and check things out.

Cookerhiker
07-05-2009, 14:33
Here's the Campmor (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/CAMOmnifindQueryCmd?langId=-1&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&searchCategory=&ip_state=&ip_constrain=&ip_navtype=search&pageSize=24&currentPage=&ip_sortBy=&searchKeywords=coffee) link to coffee-related items. Check out the last item in the lower right corner of the first page - it's similar or identical to what I saw at REI.

solobip
07-05-2009, 15:06
I used a metal dome that goes to a candle lantern. It formed a funnel. I used a cone coffe filter and adjusted the amount. I could make one cup of six, depending on the amount wanted.

medicjimr
07-05-2009, 15:18
I have a plastic device that holds a no# 2 filter and coffee seems to run through to quick to get strong enough for my liking I am experimenting now with taster choice Columbian instant and cold brew coffee concentrate. verdict is still out though.

Grinder
07-05-2009, 16:40
skidsteer developed a light weight cone coffee brewer. It uses ziplock containers and the single cup filters. You can find the thread with search function.

Cowboy coffee with a tea strainer works fine. The Campmor french press works good also. Kind of heavy though.

Many swear by coffee bags.

Grinder

mister krabs
07-05-2009, 17:08
Skidsteer's (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=606543&postcount=62) coffee maker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umLNmIlqw1Y) hands down.

Feral Bill
07-05-2009, 17:12
I was in REI last week and noted several small portable devices for making "real" coffee - as I recall, one involved a cup with screen-type sides which you insert into your coffee cup and let it marinate, French Press-style. Probably better than instant. Why don't you take a ride over to Campmor (not on a Sunday!) and check things out.

I just got one of those for my wife's AM brew. She is happy with the results. Its cheap an light, too.

Walking Dead
07-05-2009, 17:43
I love fresh brewed but I got to admit that I've found a really good instant. Nescafe Classico. Found it at Target in the mexican found section. Most of the label is in spanish so I'm guessing that it isn't normally in the US market. I haven't seen it in a typical grocery store. It was a $1 for 6 packets.

bikebum1975
07-05-2009, 18:36
you don't get any easier than this I use it all the time at home and all you do is boil water get number 2 cone filters and pour the water over the coffee grounds plus super cheap and weighs next to nothing. Closest thing to making it from a real drip machine personally still like perked coffee myself.
https://shop.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+007&Cat=

humunuku
07-05-2009, 18:38
I usually use a snowpeak Ti french press - makes great coffee.

when I was out west last month, I too found some mexican stuff, it was instant expresso... label was all in spanish - don't know what it was called, but its the only instant i somewhat liked

medicjimr
07-05-2009, 19:12
you don't get any easier than this I use it all the time at home and all you do is boil water get number 2 cone filters and pour the water over the coffee grounds plus super cheap and weighs next to nothing. Closest thing to making it from a real drip machine personally still like perked coffee myself.
https://shop.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+007&Cat=

Thats what I use but coffee is weak no mater how much I add to filter I have tried putting the coffee in bot bringing to boil let it sit and then putting through the cone but to much mess and hassle.

mooseboy
07-06-2009, 01:42
From the Campmor pages, I own this one:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80750

It's small, light, easy to use. Just kind of a pain to clean out. But it does the job. More often than not, though, I end up with instant packets.

Jaybird
07-06-2009, 05:43
How can you make real- not instant- coffee on trail? I can't just get the french press for the jetboil, because I have a pocketrocket (and I don't intent to switch, because I love my pocketrocket), and I don't reallly like instant coffee- I like the real thing. So how could I make it? I've tried putting coffee grounds in one of those cloth tea bags, but it makes it really weak and you have to boil it for EVER. So how do you all make coffee on trail?And about the instant coffee, I actually don't really know if I like it or know- what do you all think about it?

have you tried (freeze dried)TASTERS CHOICE?
The BEST instant coffee or if you
like your coffee SUPER STRONG (like me)..try freeze-dried CAFE BUSTELLO espresso blend. (http://www.javacabana.com/?p=catalog&parent=2)

toegem
07-06-2009, 07:30
like your coffee SUPER STRONG (like me)..try freeze-dried CAFE BUSTELLO espresso blend. (http://www.javacabana.com/?p=catalog&parent=2)

When traveling light this is my choice also, doesn't taste to bad and gives you that all important jolt in the morning to get you moving.

OldStormcrow
07-06-2009, 08:35
If you don't mind a few extra ounces, the plain ol' presspot/mug combo is about the easiest fix. About 1.5 spoonfulls of coffee for a cup and a tad left over to warm up with. Easy to use, easy to clean out. I always tell folks that my presspot/mug and my North Face storm coat are my two most essential pieces of gear.

rappglenn
07-06-2009, 10:24
http://www.coghlanscampinggear.com/coonecupcofi.html

make one cup and is very light

sheepdog
07-06-2009, 10:34
All instant coffee is nasty. .....sorry......it just had to be said.

mudhead
07-06-2009, 10:51
I like nasty.

ShelterLeopard
07-06-2009, 11:59

I agree with sheepdog- I'd personally rather have gritty real coffee than instant.

sheepdog
07-06-2009, 12:34
I agree with sheepdog- I'd personally rather have gritty real coffee than instant.
You are very wise

Allen1901
07-06-2009, 14:28
Use a rubber band to hold a filter onto the mouth of a Nalgene bottle.
Push the filter into the bottle, add the coffee grounds and slowly pour hot water into the filter.

Cheers!

Farr Away
07-06-2009, 14:34
Use a rubber band to hold a filter onto the mouth of a Nalgene bottle.
Push the filter into the bottle, add the coffee grounds and slowly pour hot water into the filter.

Cheers!

Also works on a cup or (repurposed) lemonaid container.

LaurieAnn
07-06-2009, 16:25
I was totally spoiled rotten for the last 8 days or so. My friend Bill (and his trust assistant Roula) made wonderful perked camp coffee for us every morning. I basically got up and there is was... ready to pour into my waiting cup. I even tried to get up earlier than the pair one or two mornings in order to return the favor... without any luck.

Pedaling Fool
07-06-2009, 16:43
I just do cowboy coffee, never have a problem with the grounds sinking.

Toolshed
07-06-2009, 17:28
I started with these (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___29570) Coughlan filters in the 80's and then switched to this Cup-Pourri (http://www.rei.com/product/638124)in the early 90's out of curiousity. I didn't care for that after a few months as the coffee was too weak. I then picked up the MSR Mug-Mate (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___75252) around '94 - It was a pain to clean when you dont have a lot of water. I used that for about a decade, but still always carried the Coughlan filters as a back-up. I have for the past 4-5 years gone back to the couglan, used the Coughlan filters. I like the simplicity and the quality of the brew.

mixinmaster
07-06-2009, 18:21
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___75252

I have one of these, and have used it extensively. It makes great coffee, as strong as you like. Plus you don't really have to carry the lid.

Fiddleback
07-06-2009, 20:24
I use a toddy coffee system at home ( http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/product.php?productId=67 ). A couple times I took the concentrate on the trail and it made the best on-the-trail coffee I ever had. I'm not convinced the weight is worth it but on the other hand, at 1oz per cup it's not that much more than Folgers Singles. But I've pretty much stopped drinking coffee on the trail. Now I pre-mix Carnation Instant Breakfast (or whatever its new name is...), Nido, and Medaglia D'Oro instant expresso ( http://www.medagliadoro.com/products.htm ). Add a couple Logan bread bars and I have a light, nutritious, calorie-dense breakfast featuring a nice vanilla coffee flavor and all the caffeine hit I want.:sun

FB

Tinker
07-06-2009, 23:42
Last time I solo hiked and made "real" coffee, I used my bandanna for a filter and dripped boiling water through the grounds. I suppose you could use a rubber band to hold the bandanna on top of a cup or waterbottle, too. The bandanna is stained, but it worked very well. It was a 100% cotton bandanna (blaze orange).

DapperD
07-06-2009, 23:59
You can buy and use coffee singles, like tea bags with coffee in them instead. Brews just like a cup of tea.

skinewmexico
07-07-2009, 02:09
Folger's Coffee singles are fast, easy, and good.

SteveJ
07-07-2009, 03:27
i second the MSR mugmate.....
http://www.rei.com/product/726094

greginmi
07-07-2009, 08:25

Have you tried the Starbucks VIA instant yet? This is my favorite. Not cheap at $10+shipping for 12 straws, but has great coffee flavor without the burned aftertaste that instants tend to have. I perfer the Colombian, but they have an Italian Roast for the stronger taste crowd.

I'm hoping the price will come down and availability will improve as Starbucks gets VIA into more grocery stores.

Regards,
Greg

Slack-jawed Trog
07-07-2009, 11:16
+1 Sheepdog /\

Last trip out I tried the Cafe Bustello instant, >:-(
I'll make cowboy coffee next time or try one of the one cup things from Campmor or Melitta.

LaurieAnn
07-07-2009, 11:44
We use something called t-Sac for our coffee... it allows you to make custom coffee and tea bags. Even better they are cheap and unbleached.

Dicentra
07-07-2009, 11:58
I use Java Juice these days.

Trader Joes makes a pretty good freeze dried coffee (I make my own coffee blends)

Snickerdoodle Coffee Mix
Makes 1 ½ cups mix

I like this so much I have a bag of it in my desk at work.

½ cup sugar
½ cup powdered milk
¼ cup powdered non-dairy creamer
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
¼ teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

At home: combine all of the ingredients together. Store in an airtight container.

In camp: add 3 tablespoons of mix to ¾ cup boiling water. Stir and enjoy.

Ladytrekker
07-07-2009, 12:19
I am a hard core coffee in the morning person. On the trail or camping I made up a plastic baggy of instant expresso, dry creamer, and splenda, then I boil water and add a tablespoon of the mixture to a cup of hot water. It works for me, because I like strong coffee. You can also buy folgers tea bag style singles and put in boiling water, that tastes real and not instant.

TD55
07-07-2009, 12:44
We use something called t-Sac for our coffee... it allows you to make custom coffee and tea bags. Even better they are cheap and unbleached.

AS usual, LaurieAnn is the expert on these matters. Don't see how you can beat this system. You can use your favorite coffee or expresso and make your coffee as strong as you like without making a mess.

kanga
07-07-2009, 12:52
skid's coffee is the best i've ever had. i did figure out this past weekend on accident how to make it easily and as strong/weak as i want it. i have this mesh coffee filter that i found hanging on a peg-thingie right next to where you grind your own coffee in the coffee aisle at the grocery store. weighs nothing and it has 3 tabs on the top that set on the rim of my ti-pot perfectly. boiled some water in the pot and just set the filter with my grounds down in it until it was the strength i wanted. cost $2.
looks like this but with tabs around the top rim that supports it above the pot:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/kitchen/2008_08_26-coffeefilter.jpg

ShelterLeopard
07-07-2009, 13:25
skid's coffee is the best i've ever had. i did figure out this past weekend on accident how to make it easily and as strong/weak as i want it. i have this mesh coffee filter that i found hanging on a peg-thingie right next to where you grind your own coffee in the coffee aisle at the grocery store. weighs nothing and it has 3 tabs on the top that set on the rim of my ti-pot perfectly. boiled some water in the pot and just set the filter with my grounds down in it until it was the strength i wanted. cost $2.
looks like this but with tabs around the top rim that supports it above the pot:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/kitchen/2008_08_26-coffeefilter.jpg

Thanks- I never thought of that, this is awesome! (I really didn't want to carry around a french press) I can't wait to try this.

kanga
07-07-2009, 13:29
quick fyi - i had it in my stove bag and my stove poked a hole in it. now i put it down in my pot for travel.

ShelterLeopard
07-07-2009, 13:35
Good idea- thanks.

LaurieAnn
07-07-2009, 18:07
AS usual, LaurieAnn is the expert on these matters. Don't see how you can beat this system. You can use your favorite coffee or expresso and make your coffee as strong as you like without making a mess.

Works great for loose tea too... and for making soups at home when you don't want to go digging for the peppercorns and bay leaves. They come in all different sizes too.

Grinder
07-08-2009, 08:11
FYI
For those who stated that cone filter coffee is too weak :

the instructions (from memory of that I read somewhere. Probably a Starbucks instructional brochure)
involve pouring a little water on the fresh coffee to presoak it.
then fill the cone. I don't remember the time to soak. Just a part of a minute I think.

I haven't made filter coffee since I got my first french press.

Grinder

PS Kanga's filter in the pot is a GREAT IDEA. I'm sure it weighs less than a tea strainer, which is what I use with cowboy coffee (and then have the grounds left in the pot to clean up)

Hikes in Rain
07-08-2009, 12:33
Wait, wait, wait!! That filter sits in the pot to brew? I misread that.

This changes everything. Excuse me, I need to run to the grocery store.....with my pot!

Bear Cables
07-08-2009, 13:10
Just curious...for those of you who brew the real stuff, how do you clean up the grounds and what do you do with them? Are you packing soggy grounds out in a ziplock? Where do you rinse the basket?

Bear Cables
07-08-2009, 13:16
I am a hard core coffee in the morning person. On the trail or camping I made up a plastic baggy of instant expresso, dry creamer, and splenda, then I boil water and add a tablespoon of the mixture to a cup of hot water. It works for me, because I like strong coffee. You can also buy folgers tea bag style singles and put in boiling water, that tastes real and not instant.

I tried the premix way with Community Instant coffee this summer. My sister liked the way it worked as she just blended sugar and coffee. I mixed the power creamer but the blend was inconsistent when spooning it out. Think I'll bring the instant and creamer in separate bags next time. I usually use the Flogers bags but my sister made the observation that using the bags meant packing out the wet bag which is more weight than emptying a zip lock bag of instant as you go. (This from a newbie hiker that she is;))

LaurieAnn
07-08-2009, 13:16
If we are in an area where a small campfire is permitted we will burn the grounds... otherwise we pack them out (double ziplocked). Sometimes I don't like to have a small campfire either due to sensistivity of the region or fire bans. This is also why I like the t-Sac's because I don't have to rinse out a basket.

kanga
07-08-2009, 14:37
Just curious...for those of you who brew the real stuff, how do you clean up the grounds and what do you do with them? Are you packing soggy grounds out in a ziplock? Where do you rinse the basket?

i dump the grounds wherever i think the next person might put their tent. that way the bears, who love coffee by the way, know where to go for dinner. sometimes, i'm not lazy and i dump them in the stream right at the source and just rinse there.

Bear Cables
07-08-2009, 14:55
i dump the grounds wherever i think the next person might put their tent. that way the bears, who love coffee by the way, know where to go for dinner. sometimes, i'm not lazy and i dump them in the stream right at the source and just rinse there.

Okay... guess it was a dumb question:o

kanga
07-08-2009, 15:06
nah, just pokin' fun. they either go in the fire or i bury them. they're beans. i'm not packing them out.

Pedaling Fool
07-08-2009, 15:22
I just throw them in the woods. Screw LNT:sun

Ewker
07-08-2009, 15:45
when I had a garden I would spread the grounds in it or a compost bin. So just throw them in the woods or on a tent site kanga might use :p

sheepdog
07-08-2009, 21:20
grounds are bio-degradable. I bury mine and pack out the filter. I don't rinse the basket...it's coffee

beakerman
07-08-2009, 22:12
Works great for loose tea too... and for making soups at home when you don't want to go digging for the peppercorns and bay leaves. They come in all different sizes too.

What?! the peppercorns are the best part. Toss the bay leaves I never was much on twigs and leaves in my food but I do love nicely cooked peppercorns especially in my corned beef and cabbage..mmmmm

pyroman53
07-08-2009, 23:40
grounds are bio-degradable. I bury mine and pack out the filter. I don't rinse the basket...it's coffee

bury the grounds with your poop and tp and you're on your way to a mini compost...sorry, just couldn't resist to thread crossover...lord I appologize for that there remark!

beakerman
07-09-2009, 00:03
bury the grounds with your poop and tp and you're on your way to a mini compost...sorry, just couldn't resist to thread crossover...lord I appologize for that there remark!

please don't send my down there with the pygmies in africa...

kanga
07-09-2009, 07:59
when I had a garden I would spread the grounds in it or a compost bin. So just throw them in the woods or on a tent site kanga might use :p
coffee grounds are great for a compost pile. now take your spam, go sit in the corner, and talk to the bearcrow.

Fiddleback
07-09-2009, 09:06
I tried the premix way with Community Instant coffee this summer. My sister liked the way it worked as she just blended sugar and coffee. I mixed the power creamer but the blend was inconsistent when spooning it out...

I posted above that I wasn't doing straight coffee on the trail anymore but was pre-mixing Carnation Instant Breakfast, Nido and instant expresso. When preparing that pre-mix, I stir the ingredients in a bowl and then run the mix through a flour sifter. I usually repeat the process two or three times. The result is a good mix with no lumping when I prepare the beverage on the trail...

FB

LaurieAnn
07-09-2009, 10:09
That's an interesting drink mix Fiddleback.

Hikes in Rain
07-10-2009, 06:45
Since my grounds are in the bottom of the pot (cowboy coffee), and the pot would need rinsing, just add a little water to the pot, swirl, and give it a wrist-flip toss into the woods to scatter the grounds thinly. Or into the fire-ring where the next fire will take care of them.

Lone Wolf
07-10-2009, 06:49
wrist-flip toss into the woods to scatter the grounds thinly. Or into the fire-ring where the next fire will take care of them.

same for TP, ziplocks, etc. if it's burnable throw into the firepit

StarLyte
07-10-2009, 07:21
Coffee is one of my favorite things in life.

Thru the years, I've tried everything, and I've learned one thing....KEEP IT SIMPLE.

I purchased a 1-1/2 cup aluminum percolator (my 3rd one - I use them frequently). There is a picture of one as my avatar.

You can find these little percolators everywhere - old, used. I can't find anyone who mfgs these new, so when this one goes, I'll find one used, usually at a flea market, thrift store or on eBay.

It works just like a regular old percolator that you would use on a stove, only smaller. The insides are the same too :)

Some hikers make fun of me when I'm perking my coffee as well, especially when I perk it on my esbit. Take good coffee, powdered creamer and enjoy.

Have fun!

greginmi
07-10-2009, 08:20
Coffee is one of my favorite things in life.

I can't find anyone who mfgs these new...!

Try this one:

http://www.wildernessdining.com/oc557588.html

Hikes in Rain
07-10-2009, 12:22
same for TP, ziplocks, etc. if it's burnable throw into the firepit

All things being equal, I think I'd prefer to see a couple of spoonfuls of used coffee grounds in the firepit than used TP, but the idea is sound. (And you could burn the TP before moving on. Mine actually goes in the cat hole with, um, everything else and gets burned there)

Ziplocks I usually "recycle" into trashbags as I go.

mooseboy
07-10-2009, 12:31

Yes! I've tried the Bustelo Cappuccino packets; these are a good choice as well.

Slack-jawed Trog
07-26-2009, 20:06
Update: Cowboy coffee rules! http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=872802&postcount=33

ShelterLeopard
07-27-2009, 17:46
That filter worked so well! I'm just wary of actually sitting it in my pot- I don't want to melt it.

kanga
08-04-2009, 14:41
never had a problem with it melting (yet...). i just heat the water, take it off the heat, and immediately set the filter down in it (remember to dunk it a couple of times to get the water in the grounds).

ShelterLeopard
08-04-2009, 20:38
It worked beautifully- thanks kanga.

TIDE-HSV
08-06-2009, 18:32
I have a plastic device that holds a no# 2 filter and coffee seems to run through to quick to get strong enough for my liking I am experimenting now with taster choice Columbian instant and cold brew coffee concentrate. verdict is still out though.

I'm sure I have the same device. I plugged up all the holes in the bottom but one with hot-melt glue. Works great now. (SIAP)

JaxHiker
08-14-2009, 10:36
My mom just gave me a Mugmate. She lost the lid so I just have to watch it to make sure the grounds don't float out into the rest of the brew. I'm just hoping it's not too much of a pain to clean on the trail.

highfisher
10-09-2009, 11:23
All so modified the handle like ti cup

ShelterLeopard
10-12-2009, 12:04
Okay, my current methods:
When I choose coffee on trail (instead of hot chocolate or tea, and lately I've definitely been leaning towards hot chocolate) I usually choose it for the caffeine, and just let it boil away in one of those filters in my pot. Sometimes I use that inexpensive espresso from Shoprite, and it makes for one heck of a strong (and sometimes bitter) cup of coffee. It can really pack a punch. And some days I mix it with hot chocolate and have MOCHA.

But I'm starting to think that I may not rely on coffee too much on trail. I think I'll switch over to hot chocolate. But we'll see.

kanga
10-13-2009, 09:04
But I'm starting to think that I may not rely on coffee too much on trail. I think I'll switch over to hot chocolate. But we'll see.

you have lost your mind..:D

Farr Away
10-13-2009, 10:38

No coffee!?!? Heresy! ;)

ShelterLeopard
10-13-2009, 11:03
I know- sacrilege. Especially to say such a thing in a coffee thread which I started. But I've noticed lately that though I like coffee, the love doesn't seem to be mutual...

ShelterLeopard
10-25-2009, 11:28
I've decided that even though coffee and I have had a falling out, I still love it very much. We've made up. So I think I'm just going to bring a small one cup coffee press on trail (only 8 oz., doesn't have anything to do with hiking or outdoor gear, so not to bad a weight), because though boiling coffee in the filter in the pot makes for a very stronge cup, it tastes pretty bad.... though I may not even notcie the difference on trail.

tech30528
11-07-2009, 11:07
There is no beating the little espresso makers if you want the real thing. I've got a trip coming up in a couple of weeks, I'm still torn between taking mine or going with my other hot breakfast/ caffiene injection. I premix Carnation Instant Breakfast, Nido (it's powdered whole milk, MUCH better than any other powdered milk. Made by Carnation, find it in the Mexican section of your grocery store) and instant coffee. The espresso is nice, but on a cold morning I prefer this breakfast mix. There is more substance to it, and 16- 20 ounces of hot liquid gets you plenty warmed up. By the time I'm finished breaking camp I'm ready to go, and the first two miles or so just disappear.

tech30528
11-08-2009, 10:12
Now that I'm flipping back thru previous pages, I see FiddleBack is doing the same thing, but with powdered espresso. That sounds even better, thanks, FB, I'll try to find some.

BTW, Starbucks claims they have the best instant ever. Fairly new product, has anyone tried it? As for the caffiene, there is more than one way to get that. I like the tangerine PowerGels. They are a double caffiene dose, and pack a pretty good punch. I "discovered" these back in my competitive cycling days. When you start to flag a bit you could suck down one of these, chase it with about 8-10 ounces of water, and you could feel it hit. It was like someone put a hand on your back and just pushed you along. On the trail, I've found myself at the top of what I thought was going to be a tough climb thinking "That was it? Really?"

east_stingray
11-08-2009, 10:59
It might have been mentioned as I didn't read all the replies, but I have a GSR lexan coffee press that I've been really happy with.

I don't carry it anymore since the new VIA starbucks instant is so good, but I would look into the GSR products.

Farr Away
11-09-2009, 14:11
I've tried the Starbucks VIA. I'd call it very good for instant, but I still much prefer brewed coffee. YMMV.

ShelterLeopard
11-10-2009, 12:39
I've come to a decision. If I bring coffee on the trail (which I probably will), I'm going to bring an individual coffee press. The UL hikers have probably just developed a twitch (it really isn't heavy, and I know if you take too many "not so heavy" things, it becomes heavy, but I'd rather have good coffee, and I don't have a jetboil). I think a really good cup of coffee will really be nice in the morning.

I originally planned to just boil coffee in a filter sitting in my pot, but you know, I think I really will taste the difference- even on the trail.

James Fetter
11-10-2009, 13:12
For short hikes I have used a press but have found for my planned upcoming NOBO Thru-hike my coffee press is going to be too bulky. I considered tea as an alternative but that won't do. Starbucks instant coffee seems to be the rave. I am going to try that out. jnf

kyhipo
11-11-2009, 12:01
I like the lexan french press,yes its a single cup,but its worth the extra minute for another cup.ky

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 12:38
The lexan is pretty similar to the one I may bring.

SMSP
11-11-2009, 23:24
I have ben using the Folgers 'singles', which have worked for me. I picked-up an MSR Coffeemate today (25% off), I figured it would be worth the try since it gets alot of positive reviews. To sum it up for me in two words....Bulky & Messy. Yes, it is lite at only 1oz., but the bulk and clean-up just doesnt seem like it will work for me. I will stick with the 'singles' for now and maybe experiment with the Star Bucks instant packets. Only downside with the 'singles' for me has been packing them out. But I recently realized, I could actually open the 'singles' pouch after using, dump coffee grounds in the fire pit or in scat hole, then just pack out the paper part. Another aspect with the 'singles', if one wants a stronger coffee, just let the 'single' packet steep longer, works for me. The MSR Coffemate is a great idea, but find a home in my car camping gear.

SMSP

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 23:43
I dunno- it all depends on what I really want, caffeine, or flavor. (Maybe my depraved hiker mind won't notice any difference in taste) Thanks SMSP- I may give the "singles" a try.

Surplusman
11-12-2009, 06:36
I don't have anything against instant coffee, but I find myself going back to cowboy coffee. Nothing could be simpler. I like my coffee strong enough that it has to be served by the slice. With a few fig newtons I'm ready for a day of hiking or battling for a kingdom, whichever comes first.:)

ShelterLeopard
11-16-2009, 12:34
So okay, I had this weird block against cowboy coffee- I've never had it before! Until five minutes ago. So, the coffee machine in the office broke. Needless to say, panic reigned for a couple minutes. (One of those one cup Krupp machines that take those tiney plastic cups) So I did it. I ripped open one of those imprisoned little coffee krupps, poured it into my cup, and poured in boiling water. Now I know that all the grounds really will sink, it isn't just a myth! It's great, and it'll be even better in the am before hiking.

I'll admit, a coffee press and no grounds would be flippin' sweet! But cowboy coffee it awesome too. I think I've been too close minded about one or two aspects of backpacking food and gear. ShelterLeopard has had an epiphany.

ShelterLeopard
11-17-2009, 12:10
Ha, so I'm brilliant. Office coffee machinie, still dead, and I've decided to keep making hiker coffee even when it gets fixed/ replaced 'cause I just keep discovering better ways to make camp coffee!

So I realized, the grounds kinda irritate me. So, I've decided to boil cowboy coffee in my pot, let it sit, then I'm going to strain it into my mug through a piece of one of those semi-permanent metal coffee filters- just going to cut the screen out and fold it into a cone. Brilliant? Yes, it is.

And even though it means slightly more to clean (I know that puts some people off) I'd already be cleaning my mug and/or pot, so what the hey! Why not. Lightweight and flippin' awesome.

Hikes in Rain
11-17-2009, 13:27
Boil coffee?!? Barbaric!

But yeah, the cleaning isn't an issue. Quick rinse, flick the wrist, and you're good to go.

ShelterLeopard
11-17-2009, 13:32
I know, I considered making french press coffee on trail and all, but the idea just wasn't worth it to me. Too much extra to carry, and I don't even know if I'll neccessarily want coffee all the time on trail. So, all I have to carry it the tiny think piece of filter netting and I'm good to go.

Hikes in Rain
11-17-2009, 13:46
I make cowboy coffee when hiking, but it's NOT boiled! Seriously, the whole idea sends a shudder down my spine. Bring your water right up to a boil, then take it off the stove. Add your (in my case, anyway) coffee that you ground in the little backpacking coffee grinder, from the green coffee beans you roasted right before the trip, stir and let steep. Coffee nirvana!

I've looked at the presses and various other things, and I do have some, but I don't like the idea of a single-use item, either. Thus, cowboy coffee, as it was originally created, as it was meant to be enjoyed.

Yeah, I'm a coffee snob. Don't get me started on beer; I make my own.

ShelterLeopard
11-17-2009, 17:38
I know about coffee lovers! My mother would faint if I boiled coffee in front of her. She's spent years finding the perfect coffee roaster/blend, and knows all the coffee making methods. But I'm gonna be honest here, I can't really tell much difference between good coffee and less good. My meter is set to detect the caffeine count.

toegem
11-17-2009, 22:20
Ha, so I'm brilliant. Office coffee machinie, still dead, and I've decided to keep making hiker coffee even when it gets fixed/ replaced 'cause I just keep discovering better ways to make camp coffee!

So I realized, the grounds kinda irritate me. So, I've decided to boil cowboy coffee in my pot, let it sit, then I'm going to strain it into my mug through a piece of one of those semi-permanent metal coffee filters- just going to cut the screen out and fold it into a cone. Brilliant? Yes, it is.

And even though it means slightly more to clean (I know that puts some people off) I'd already be cleaning my mug and/or pot, so what the hey! Why not. Lightweight and flippin' awesome.

When I have a need for a cup of cowboy coffee, I'll use cheese cloth tripled to strain out the grinds, rubber band it around the top of the cup, the cheese cloth can be re-used numerous times.