PDA

View Full Version : scheduling resupplies

downes911
07-05-2009, 19:54
Okay, i tried to sit down and figure out a loose schedule for mileage/resupply and i find i just get frustrated. So should i perservere or just wing it. Maybe I should just plan to the first resupply and then when there plan to the next and so on. I could really use some advice on this.

bigcranky
07-05-2009, 20:04
Are you talking about maildrops? Or resupply in towns? Have you read the Resupply article on the front page of WB? (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=resupplypart1)

Lone Wolf
07-05-2009, 20:05
Okay, i tried to sit down and figure out a loose schedule for mileage/resupply and i find i just get frustrated. So should i perservere or just wing it. Maybe I should just plan to the first resupply and then when there plan to the next and so on. I could really use some advice on this.

just wing it. maildrops cost too much and take time

downes911
07-05-2009, 20:09
not planning on maildrops, maybe a couple for a treat but not going to rely on them

kayak karl
07-05-2009, 20:21
plan your first resupply, then like LW said after that WING IT

Rockhound
07-05-2009, 20:54
Wing it. If you can carry 5 to 6 days of food you should always be able to get to another store before you run out on the AT. A lot of the time a 2 to 3 day supply is all you need.

bigcranky
07-06-2009, 09:00
not planning on maildrops, maybe a couple for a treat but not going to rely on them

In that case, just wing it. Once you are on the trail, you'll be able to look at the guidebook and see where the next town/grocery/resupply point is, and just buy enough to get there.

Maddog
07-06-2009, 09:11
no maildrops for me...just wingin' it!

World-Wide
07-06-2009, 09:13
no maildrops for me...just wingin' it!
Hey MADDOG,
How was the weekend hike w/family?? Shoot me a PM!! :) W-W

Blissful
07-06-2009, 23:31
Check out my blog under My Journals and look under "mail drops" to see where we scheduled ours.

Tinker
07-06-2009, 23:38
Another vote for "winging".
It is supposed to be an adventure (of sorts). Taking all the guesswork out makes it more like a project. No deadline? ABSOLUTELY wing it.

Petr
07-08-2009, 00:25
Another vote for winging it. However, if you're the planning type or simply a little intimidated I found these plans kind of helpful when I first started thinking about thru-hiking. There are 12, 15, and 18 miles/day plans that give a rough guide of how far you need to walk to the next resupply point and how many days of food you should buy at that resupply:

http://appalachianpages.com/index.php?pageid=12%20mile%20plan

As the site mentions, deviation from the plan is encouraged!

Jack Tarlin
07-08-2009, 11:52
Unless you want to prepare your own meals in advance with a dehydrator, or unless you're on some sort of specialized diet, there's really no reason to mail yourslef food while en route. There are all sorts of places to purchase food on or near the A.T.; if you get one of the three major guidebooks available, they'll tell you where these places are. (see www.aldha.org for the On-Line version of the Thru-Hikers Companion, for example). There's an extensive article on Re-Supply if you look at the front page of this website that will give you a good idea of how long it'll take the typical hiker to cover each section of the Trail; slower hikers may wish to carry a bit more than this article suggests; speedier hikers will get by with less.

Keep in mind that whatever trip "schedule" you come up with is merely an approximate guess, and you may well deviate from it, especially in the beginning of your trip where many folks find themselves going a bit slower than they'd originally planned, only to make up the time and mileage later on in the hike.

GeneralLee10
07-12-2009, 14:01
I have been looking at the same site, have both books (Appalachian Pg's & Companion) and I am going with no mail drops. I am leaving the life of a schedule and deadlines so it will be a "Wing It" for me. The books are very helpful and have some good info along with the maps things should be good. For me that is

Another vote for winging it. However, if you're the planning type or simply a little intimidated I found these plans kind of helpful when I first started thinking about thru-hiking. There are 12, 15, and 18 miles/day plans that give a rough guide of how far you need to walk to the next resupply point and how many days of food you should buy at that resupply:

http://appalachianpages.com/index.php?pageid=12%20mile%20plan

As the site mentions, deviation from the plan is encouraged!

Feeling Good
07-12-2009, 16:56
Me too!

Thanks all for the timely tips.

shelterbuilder
07-12-2009, 20:18

On the other hand, if you have people back home who will be missing you A LOT (and whom you can trust to get your maildrops out in a timely fashion), this might be a way for THEM to feel more connected to you while you hike. This does introduce a bit more scheduling and structure into your hike - depending on your own personal situation, this could be either a good or a not-so-good thing.